Round Two with Dr. Cooley

KeithJagger

I am excited to announce that I have just returned to my hotel from my second hair transplant procedure with the venerable Dr. Cooley.

If you would like to see the progress and final results of my first hair transplant you can view them here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174448-2-800-grafts-dr-cooley.html. Long story short, it was an incredible experience. And my hair looks awesome.

Which I guess begs the question, "Why go through this again if you have already a decent head of hair courtesy of Dr. Cooley?"

Well the answer is simply because I can. I have the time off from work, plenty of donor hair and money that I have saved up. And the first experience was so easy, I figure why the hell not?

I wanted to keep the conservative approach that Dr. Cooley and I had first decided during my initial consultation two years ago. So today, we decided to move the hairline down a just a millimeter or two and work on density behind the hairline.

We agreed on 2,000 graphs as the magic number (I may have gotten a few more) to go along with my original 2,800 from two years ago.

I am sure the results will be amazing like they were last time. But of course I will withhold final judgment to the little guys start growing.

But what I do want to say is that once again the procedure was almost pain free. Dr. Cooley stayed there 90% of the time doing the work and supervising. And when he was not, the girls that assist him in the office are just the sweetest and supremely capable.

I am now back in my hotel room with zero pain at all. About to order some room service, pop a valium and watch TV. It almost feels like I am on vacation.

I'll post picture later on this week. But I will say from what I can see in the mirror the work looks extremely clean. And there is no pressure on my donor scar.

Anyone considering getting a hair transplant, please don't forget to check our Dr. Cooley. He is just the best.

Edited by KeithJagger

Dr. Cooley gives you this spray that he wants you to use every hour while you are awake and every two hours when you are asleep, which means you have to set your alarm repeatedly. I believe the spray is a mixture of A-cell and something else. I remember it really helped last time. But damn, it sucks waking up every two hours. I suppose it is a small price to pay though.

This morning the donor area is a little tender and the recipient site is a bit swollen. Nothing that a few Tylenol should not be able to care of though.

All and all, everything seems to be going pretty well. I'm going to wash my hair later on this evening with the shampoo that his office gave me.

Hi KeithJagger,

I just checked out of the hotel yesterday morning after my procedure with Dr. Cooley on Thursday. I have to agree with you about it being such an easy and painless process. I was there all day on Thursday and Dr. Cooley was with me most of the time as well. I was actually in and out of sleep throughout the day. I was scheduled for 2000 grafts but ended up with just over 2300. I was so worried about the entire surgery....and a bundle of nerves! But the staff really put me at ease and it was really nothing at all! And you're right....the hardest part is getting up every couple hours at night to spray with the solution the first few days.

Edited by Mia45

Was this your first time with Dr. Cooley? My original hair transplant from two years ago turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. Honestly, I did not know such results were possible. I am excited for you! Good luck. You made an awesome choice.

Yes, it was my first ( and hopefully only) transplant. I'm a female and had experienced frontal hair loss following the births of my children in my 30's. I could hide it with bangs but well, when the wind blew.....I always was self conscious that people could tell. I have been reading this site and researching for well over a year. It was actually your VERY detailed account of your first transplant with Dr. Cooley that made me really consider him. So thank you very much! I consulted first with Lollie and then Ailene. I believe I just about drove them crazy with all my emails, calls and questions. I also was adamant about talking with Dr. Cooley as well during the consulting phase. I'm from up north, so I had to travel quite a distance away from my family....another reason I was beyond nervous.

I'm only 2 days post surgery and still spraying every hour and using the Saran Wrap covering. It's been interesting trying to keep this secret from my kids who are wondering why I'm wearing a hat ALL the time since I've been home. I told them I'm trying a special hair treatment and my head needs to stay covered to allow it to work. Wouldn't want them telling all their friends that their mom got hair transplants!

Good luck with your recent surgery and I hope it grows in as well as it did the first time! Again, thank you for sharing your story on this forum.

Cooley is great. Looking forward to some pics.

Btw, are you still on propecia? Did you fill in some more or drop the hairline? I'm surprised you had "room" for another 2k.

Edit...ok i see that you dropped it a tad and increased density.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Any new pics? Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Spanker, we agreed that I could/should move down the hairline a few millimeters.

Dr. Cooley said that way worst case scenario and one day I go totally bald, the hairline that I have had transplanted would still look appropriate.

He also really packed graphs in to reinforce the hairline. He said 2,000 is a good number and that should have me set for a long time

I am still on generic Propecia. It seems to have stabilized my loss for now.

Edited by KeithJagger

Any new pics? Thanks for sharing.

I could post some pics, but in my opinion there is really nothing that interesting going on in the first few days following surgery. Plus I have all this wrap on my head and it is a pain to take off.

I am planning on posting photos though one week out to show recovery.

On second thought, I have to spray the graphs anyway tonight so here is a quick photo. The blue is from a pen Dr. Cooley was using--not bruising. Not the best quality but you get the idea.

Honestly, one of my favorite parts of getting a hair transplant is the 48 hours after getting it. Life can be so hectic and I am always stressed with work and a myriad of other things that go along with being an adult. However following your H/T you get to just sit in in a hotel bed, take a valium or two and watch TV all day. It is pretty relaxing.

5b32ea797a5f8_Photoon1-17-16at12_32AM.thumb.jpg.b8ee91ae77c070d19e05bf4bedb0e656.jpg

So I am now two days post-op from my procedure. Everything feels and looks great and I have stopped taking my pain medication.

My question is, do you think it is alright to have a glass of wine...maybe two?

I'm not talking about multiple grande margaritas.

But a little wine wouldn't interfere with anything, right?

I am pleased to report the recovery is going really, really well. The recipient site is still a bit red, but there is no discomfort.

I was a little concerned that I didn't go as aggressive as I should have when it came to bringing down the hairline. I mean for 2k graphs, you would think you would go down more than a millimeter or two. But when my hair was wet this morning, I was looking at it closer and Dr. Cooley really did a fantastic job of reinforcing my existing hairline. I had no idea how many graphs he put back there (and how far back they went) as my original hair was covering it up.

I think when it grows in it is going to really look great.

5b32ea7d1c691_Photoon1-18-16at5.32PM2.thumb.jpg.b188cc21e5da1b732886af8400112d1e.jpg

5b32ea7d2fc05_Photoon1-18-16at5_32PM.thumb.jpg.efb6d699782dde7a48148040eafc56b5.jpg

5b32ea7d44f7f_Photoon1-18-16at5_33PM.thumb.jpg.9e6e292acad55f053ed9d7dafb21c636.jpg

Edited by KeithJagger

Hi KeithJagger,

I just checked out of the hotel yesterday morning after my procedure with Dr. Cooley on Thursday. I have to agree with you about it being such an easy and painless process. I was there all day on Thursday and Dr. Cooley was with me most of the time as well. I was actually in and out of sleep throughout the day. I was scheduled for 2000 grafts but ended up with just over 2300. I was so worried about the entire surgery....and a bundle of nerves! But the staff really put me at ease and it was really nothing at all! And you're right....the hardest part is getting up every couple hours at night to spray with the solution the first few days.

Mia45 - Congratulations on your procedure. Did you have a FUE or FUT?

This is the second FUT that I have had with Dr. Cooley.

After talking with Dr. Cooley about my goals, we both decided that strip was the best way to go.

I will say that after my first strip procedure, the scar was so fine that when I came close to shaving my head I still could not see/feel it. I think it has to do with the A-Cell he uses when closing the donor area.

Down the road, if I ever want to add a couple hundred graphs I might consider FUE.

So is the 2nd HT sort of like having a 2nd kid?

The first kid you are all quiet and worried and have a baby monitor to hear every little squeak, and you take thousands of pictures and recordings, and then the 2nd kid you just kinda throw into the crib when you get him home and then go watch Netflix til he passes out??

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

How is your hair so "styled" looking in the latest photos? I'm afraid to even touch the area around the grafts to even attempt a nicer "do". I'm still spraying regularly and sporting the hat or else I'd look really bad (not grafts, just bad hair). Yours looks great and besides the bit of redness, your hair looks good. I guess I'm being extra cautious....wouldn't want to disrupt those babies!

So is the 2nd HT sort of like having a 2nd kid?

The first kid you are all quiet and worried and have a baby monitor to hear every little squeak, and you take thousands of pictures and recordings, and then the 2nd kid you just kinda throw into the crib when you get him home and then go watch Netflix til he passes out??

That is so funny. I was thinking the EXACT SAME thing last night. While I don't have any kids, I have heard from friends and family about the differences between kid one versus kid two. I think there is even a diaper commercial that stresses that "this is the diaper chosen most by second-time moms."

The first time, I stressed over everything. I slept sitting up for a week. Wouldn't comb my hair. Wouldn't leave the house. A shower took 45 minutes because I dripped water on the transplants using a shot glass. Also, I would stare in the mirror for hours to make sure every little graph was still anchored in place.

Now, while I am still cautious, I'm way more relaxed. I spray the graphs, throw some cellophane on and spend my days trying to figure out who killed Teresa Halbach. I will say, the first 72 hours I was super careful. And I'm still not planning running any marathons or going surfing for the next few weeks. But yes, a second-time H/T is much easier than the first.

Edited by KeithJagger

How is your hair so "styled" looking in the latest photos? I'm afraid to even touch the area around the grafts to even attempt a nicer "do". I'm still spraying regularly and sporting the hat or else I'd look really bad (not grafts, just bad hair). Yours looks great and besides the bit of redness, your hair looks good. I guess I'm being extra cautious....wouldn't want to disrupt those babies!

I think it is good to be extra cautious. In my experience, the more time you can go without disturbing the graphs the better.

In the photos above, I had just gotten out of the shower. I gently pat down my hair, meaning I literally just lay a towel on my head and that is it. No pressure and no rubbing. After that I let my hair air dry for a few minutes before very, very carefully brushing it back. The only reason I do this is so I can better spray the graphs. When combing my hair back, I make an effort not to touch the graphs at all.

After that I put some saran wrap on my head and maybe the cap Dr. Cooley gave me and turn on Netflix.

But I think you are going about it right. Give it a week or more before you start styling it.

I have received a couple of questions asking for the breakdown of graphs.

For my first transplant, I had 2,800 graphs.

For this one the breakdown is as follows: 1's-536, 2's-1127, 3's-544, 4's-18 = 2,225 total graphs.

Here is a photo taken by Dr. Cooley directly after the procedure.

All continues to heal well.

5b32ea846bda1_DSC_0114acopy.thumb.jpg.cb15dcce6888f600bd1ceb4fd263cfa5.jpg

I am six days out from my procedure with Dr. Cooley. Everything appears to be healing quite nicely. I am still spraying the graphs like crazy and sleeping with saran wrap and a cap. And I am also still rather cautious in shampooing and brushing my hair. As a result, it looks like a bit more matted than it normally does. But the redness has subsided and there is no more soreness around the donor area. So far, so good.

5b32ea84d4c2e_Photoon1-20-16at9_23PM.thumb.jpg.fc172476a155bef6ac1064444c9e001b.jpg

5b32ea8509cdc_Photoon1-20-16at9.23PM2.thumb.jpg.bbd569e7f36e8d1d0337e42eaf1ca8a6.jpg

Day 7 for me! Looking forward to washing my whole head. Still spraying but stopped the Saran Wrap yesterday. Your donor isn't sore any longer? Mine is still pretty tender, especially when sleeping at night because I'm basically laying on the sutures. Overall though my recipient area looks good....very little redness left.

Glad to hear you're healing well with no issues once again. Your photos look great.