Cost and advice

Jmt2005

Ok here is some background. I am in my early 40's and have most of my hair. It's starting to recede and I was looking into this. I shot some pictures and sent them in to get an idea of the cost. I am in the Chicago area and they recomended around 1500 grafts FUE. I was a bit taken back by the pricing of around 14,000. So I have a few questions.

1) what is the typical cost of 1500 follicles by FUE?

2) what dr.s may be more reasonable that I can travel too?

3) has there been any cases in which the hair falls out?

4) how "permanent " is this?

After getting the price I would much rather buy a chevelle if this is the typical costs.

Thanks for your input in advance.

For FUE in the US or Canada its going to range widely from $7 to $12 per graft depending on the physician. I know its somewhat equivalent in terms of cost for Euros for the European physicians who specialize in FUE like Lorenzo, etc. I understand the Turkish and Indian doctors are the cheapest, but never quite got their pricing structure. I wanted FUE and I"m in the NY area so I decided to go to Rahal in Canada. The currency conversation rate was favorable to US residents so I may have paid less than $7 (US) per graft. It was a short flight for me, he is an elite top surgeon, specializes in FUT and FUE, so I was extremely comfortable going to him for my procedure.

1). You can do the math $7, $8, $9 or $10.00 US x 1500 grafts

2). I understand Konior is in your back yard - you also have Shapiro Medical and of course if you don't mind traveling to Ottawa - Rahal -

3). the grafts are taken from the "safe zone", that is the area of your head where the follicles are not susceptible to DHT and therefore should not miniaturize and should remain for a lifetime

4). its as permanent as you can get - so therefore your choice of surgeon, etc. is extremely important

You have 2 of the best surgeons in the world in your backyard. If you want the best outcome and you have the added convenience of proximity there's nothing to really think about. If the cost is prohibitive I would personally hold off. Chasing $3/graft FUE is a fool's errand in my opinion. You only get one head ;)

Ottawa IL??

There is only one surgeon linked to Ottawa, however there is also a town called Ottawa in Illinois, and I am not aware of any top HT surgeon located there. If staying in Illinois, then no need to look further than Konior. However, JMT has a lot more research to do.

I meant Ottawa, Canada - as in Dr. Rahal.

In my personal opinion, I would never travel to India or Turkey for surgery no matter how cheap it was! That's just me and I'm not disparaging anyone that does take that route. I'd rather stick with an elite surgeon who has their practice in the US or Canada. We have some of the best in the world right here in North America whose pre-op and especially "post-op" care are second to none.

Fut is cuttin my skin. I may want to wear my hair short. That would be a problem

Go see my thread I got FUE from Dr Rahal and I can cut my hair to a one guard and my barber is a friend who I trust and he told me he can't tell at all i had surgery.

He is top notch and with the dollar difference you will get a great price even after flying there and staying for the recovery.

Ok here is some background. I am in my early 40's and have most of my hair. It's starting to recede and I was looking into this. I shot some pictures and sent them in to get an idea of the cost. I am in the Chicago area and they recomended around 1500 grafts FUE. I was a bit taken back by the pricing of around 14,000. So I have a few questions.

1) what is the typical cost of 1500 follicles by FUE?

2) what dr.s may be more reasonable that I can travel too?

3) has there been any cases in which the hair falls out?

4) how "permanent " is this?

After getting the price I would much rather buy a chevelle if this is the typical costs.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Hi Jmt2005,

Shapiro Medical's FUE cost is $7 per graft minus $500 travel allowance so that will put you right around $10k for 1500 grafts.

Are you asking if transplanted hair fall out? It'd be very, very rare and probably due to skin disease. If you decide on hair restoration route, best wishes!

Have you ruled out FUT, and why? Costs are half and results are arguably more consistent.

Why opt for FUT for only 1500 grafts? Yes, it may be less expensive than FUE, but I'd rather pay more and not have the scar.

I've also been looking at FUE prices and they are way high. There are some who have lower prices but I wonder about their experience. This website has helped me look around and give me tips on where to go. Not done yet but getting there. I hope you find a good one.

This is not apples to apples so you want to make sure of what you are getting into in terms of the quality of the phyisician's work. Also make sure you have a grasp on how the FUE will be performed and the extent to which the doctor is involved in your procedure. $7 - $9 is a reasonable range to consider when choosing an FUE.

VP Patient & Media Relations for The Hair Loss Doctors by Robert J. Dorin 

This is not apples to apples so you want to make sure of what you are getting into in terms of the quality of the phyisician's work. Also make sure you have a grasp on how the FUE will be performed and the extent to which the doctor is involved in your procedure. $7 - $9 is a reasonable range to consider when choosing an FUE.

I wouldn't call $9 reasonable when two of the top FUE clinics in the world Dr Feriduni (Belgium) and Dr Erdogan (Turkey) charge around 2.5 to 3 Euros per graft. 3 Euros is $3.2. It blows my mind why patients would ever agree to pay $9 for FUE when the likes of Feriduni and Erdogan charge the rates they do. I would hope that for $9 a graft the surgeon is the one doing the extractions, incisions and graft placements.