VIDEO: A Hairline even a Cyborg could love- Dr. Feller/ Dr. Bloxham Great Neck, NY

Guys... There is one thing we all should think about.

As example J.K. Rowling.

She gets famous for her Harry Potter books.

But she started with other books first.

So i'd say if she never started the books before.. If she just said: I can't do this.

She'd never become as rich and famous as she is today.

Maybe thats an bad example but it was the first one i thaught about..

So look at Dr. Feller... or Dr. Erdogan, or Dr. Lorenzo or all the other recommendet doctors here..

Neither Dr. Feller nor Dr. Erdogan or ANYONE starts as a "hairtransplantstar".

They all started in the past.

And Dr. Blake is starteing now.

Im 100% sure Dr. Feller learned him everything he knows about it and if Dr. Blake is not good enough in his eyes... Dr. Blake would not be allowed to work on the patients.

I know, everyone would like to go to the more experienced doc.

But think about it... If noone went to those docs before they want be where they are today.

We need young docs as Blake.

Maybe he is the next "Feller" or "Wong" in 10 years or so.

I dont know.

You dont know.

Time will tell us.

So the only question is:

Do the patients know that maybe Dr. Blake do the work or not.

All the best

With the utmost respect mate nobody is arguing the fact that we need upcoming hair transplant surgeons, and of course they need to train etc. The issue at hand here is the misleading/deceptive nature in which a patient may blindly go in for surgery with a surgeon they had researched for up to a year and then end up with a trainee/rookie performing their surgery without their prior consent(thinly veiled consent form aside) or indeed any knowledge that someone other than the original surgeon might perform their surgery.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth always comes out.

How insulting to the intelligence of the forum to think its acceptable to hide behind a consent form and the audacity to implicate other surgeons engaging in similar practices to save face.

The truth always comes out.

How insulting to the intelligence of the forum to think its acceptable to hide behind a consent form and the audacity to implicate other surgeons engaging in similar practices to save face.

I think you meant to say "the audacity to imply that other well respected surgeons have engaged in similar practices when in fact they still allow patients a choice in surgeons".

Dr. Feller,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if someone selects you for surgery they could end up getting Dr. Bloxam for surgery instead of you? Or are you saying that you and Dr. Bloxam have a hand in every procedure? If it's the latter, I see no problem with this. If it's the former, I don't think this is fair. Whatever physician is selected for a procedure should at least play a role in the procedure. In my opinion, the physician selected should be the supervising physician and oversee the entire operation which includes anyone else working on the patient. I understand that hair transplant surgery is a team effort and thus, anyone selecting a physician should understand that multiple hands will be working on them, not only the physician they've chosen. But if a physician selected is removed from the procedure entirely while another one takes over, I think this is a problem.

That said, in my opinion, informed consent overrides this. For example, if a patient selects Dr. Feller and then visits the office and learns that Dr. Feller will be working with Dr. Bloxam or even learns that Dr. Bloxam will be the primary surgeon, the patient can still decide to undergo the procedure or not. If a patient isn't satisfied with the way a surgeon or clinic performs an operation, they always have an option to select another physician or clinic.

But if a patient goes into a procedure thinking Dr. Feller is performing the procedure and finds out the day of surgery without any discussion or informed consent that Dr. Bloxam is performing the entire procedure without Dr. Feller, in my opinion, that would be a problem.

Dr. Feller, I think the community would appreciate a more detailed explanation of how things work at your clinic now that Dr. Bloxam is working for you.

Please keep in mind that the above is not meant to insinuate that Dr. Bloxam isn't very competent at what he does. It is only meant to express a concern about whether or not patients know ahead of time who is performing their procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dr. Feller,

Are you saying that if someone selects you for surgery they could end up getting Dr. Bloxam for surgery instead of you? Or are you saying that you and Dr. Bloxam have a hand in every procedure? If it's the latter, I see no problem with this.

Bill, I think you should reconsider your last statement. Dr Feller will admit he does have a hand in each procedure, but there will be instances were Dr Bloxham performs the critical aspects of the surgery by himself such as the incision making process (which we all agree is the most critical part of the procedure and to which Dr Feller himself admitted is a current practice that takes place). I don't think one can conclude that the extent of Dr Feller's involvement is simply drawing the hairline makes it okay.

Once Dr Feller answers your question, I hope that you can answer my previous question to you which is:

1) How does the current practice employed by Dr Feller impact his recommendation by the website in light of the fact that when a patient currently selects Dr Feller as a surgeon, he has no choice in who performs the critical aspects of the surgery, which could be performed exclusively by a non-recommended surgeon.

Yeah, "involvement" is a VERY elastic term. If I arrange to have surgery with a certain doctor, I expect that he will be making the incisions. I would have no problem with Dr. B helping with donor extraction and even making some incisions with Dr. Feller's very close watchful eye, but I don't believe it's appropriate to have Dr. B doing the incision process without Dr. Feller in the room--unless, of course, this arrangement has been made to a patient and he/she has signed off on it.

There is already a lot of controversy surrounding the extent of the role that techs/doctors play in procedures, and I don't think it's prudent for a doctor to muddy those waters unnecessarily.

1) How does the current practice employed by Dr Feller impact his recommendation by the website in light of the fact that when a patient currently selects Dr Feller as a surgeon, he has no choice in who performs the critical aspects of the surgery, which could be performed exclusively by a non-recommended surgeon.

----

Stig,

If you couldn't tell by my previous post, I am trying to learn exactly how Dr. Feller operates his procedures now that Dr. Bloxam is involved at the clinic.

In my opinion, a patient should have a choice who performs his/her procedure. However, as long as the patient is properly informed who is performing the procedure prior to the operation, a patient then has been given informed consent. He/she can then decide whether or not he wants to undergo hair transplant surgery at Dr. Feller's clinic. However, if a patient is expecting Dr. Feller to perform surgery and on the day of surgery finds out that Dr. Feller isn't involved and/or Dr. Bloxam is performing the majority of the procedure, then this would be wrong and we would need to discuss this with Dr. Feller.

Bill

I am someone that has put a lot of time and effort into researching what to me is a huge decision in a persons life. After a couple of years of researching i had came to the conclusion that Dr. Feller was the surgeon for me. The fact i lived in NYC was also a factor as i felt he was the best in the area and at the time did not want to travel. I finally made the trip out to Dr. Feller's office in Great Neck, fully convinced that he was the surgeon to give me the hairline i wanted. Unfortunately when i got there i was shocked as he did not even take my consultation. I don't mean to disrespect Dr. Bloxham in any way and he seemed like a nice guy but i was expecting the surgeon that i had focused my research on for a long time and to make the trip and meet someone else could be nothing else but disappointing.

In hindsight it may have been a blessing as i fully believed the entire procedure would have been performed by Dr. Feller and it would've been an absolute shock if i went there to find out it was a joint effort. Especially when it is such a big decision and you pay such a large amount of money for something 15k in my case.

I've now decided to get my surgery with Dr. Rahal and his office has been super professional in their dealings with me. I'm looking forward to the procedure.

I am someone that has put a lot of time and effort into researching what to me is a huge decision in a persons life. After a couple of years of researching i had came to the conclusion that Dr. Feller was the surgeon for me. The fact i lived in NYC was also a factor as i felt he was the best in the area and at the time did not want to travel. I finally made the trip out to Dr. Feller's office in Great Neck, fully convinced that he was the surgeon to give me the hairline i wanted. Unfortunately when i got there i was shocked as he did not even take my consultation. I don't mean to disrespect Dr. Bloxham in any way and he seemed like a nice guy but i was expecting the surgeon that i had focused my research on for a long time and to make the trip and meet someone else could be nothing else but disappointing.

In hindsight it may have been a blessing as i fully believed the entire procedure would have been performed by Dr. Feller and it would've been an absolute shock if i went there to find out it was a joint effort. Especially when it is such a big decision and you pay such a large amount of money for something 15k in my case.

I've now decided to get my surgery with Dr. Rahal and his office has been super professional in their dealings with me. I'm looking forward to the procedure.

I'd say you won with that outcome!

Dr. Feller,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if someone selects you for surgery they could end up getting Dr. Bloxam for surgery instead of you? Or are you saying that you and Dr. Bloxam have a hand in every procedure? If it's the latter, I see no problem with this. If it's the former, I don't think this is fair. Whatever physician is selected for a procedure should at least play a role in the procedure. In my opinion, the physician selected should be the supervising physician and oversee the entire operation which includes anyone else working on the patient. I understand that hair transplant surgery is a team effort and thus, anyone selecting a physician should understand that multiple hands will be working on them, not only the physician they've chosen. But if a physician selected is removed from the procedure entirely while another one takes over, I think this is a problem.

That said, in my opinion, informed consent overrides this. For example, if a patient selects Dr. Feller and then visits the office and learns that Dr. Feller will be working with Dr. Bloxam or even learns that Dr. Bloxam will be the primary surgeon, the patient can still decide to undergo the procedure or not. If a patient isn't satisfied with the way a surgeon or clinic performs an operation, they always have an option to select another physician or clinic.

But if a patient goes into a procedure thinking Dr. Feller is performing the procedure and finds out the day of surgery without any discussion or informed consent that Dr. Bloxam is performing the entire procedure without Dr. Feller, in my opinion, that would be a problem.

Dr. Feller, I think the community would appreciate a more detailed explanation of how things work at your clinic now that Dr. Bloxam is working for you.

Please keep in mind that the above is not meant to insinuate that Dr. Bloxam isn't very competent at what he does. It is only meant to express a concern about whether or not patients know ahead of time who is performing their procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Dr. Bloxham is a partner, not an employee. I believe an owner makes a better surgeon and caregiver than an employee. As such he is responsible for every patient that comes through the door whether he touches that patient or not. Likewise, as a partner, I am responsible for each patient that he touches, whether I touch that patient or not. We are responsible for each other's actions and so we both need to have access to all patients equally throughout the day.

Dr. Bloxham and I perform our procedures together. So yes, I have a hand in every surgery. But far more than a hand. Since I'm the one with greater experience and I created the practice I am the lead surgeon. This is as it should be. While I could perform a second procedure while he does a first, we choose not to do this. I don't even see consultations. The second patient of the day waits for both of us. This will change, but not as yet.

Our clinic is the better for Dr. Bloxham's presence and ensures that our brand of surgery will continue on for many more years to come.

Bill asked exactly the question as i did before.

Do all the patients know who will do the surgery?

If the answer is yes, thats it (in my oppinion).

If the answer is no, thats a problem.

Because Feller is recommended and Blake isnt.

And i think then the mods have to talk to him.

It never ceases to amaze me how often business fail to realize the single most important aspect of their survival is customer service. Your customer, not your preferred business model, drives the demand for your services.

Whether you like or not, you will not be in business very long if you choose to deceive or patronize your customers about the product or service they expect to receive. Consent forms and dressed up language wil relief you of liability only. Not to mention, you've actively chosen to put yourself at a competitive disadvantage with your decision to blur the lines and avoid transparency.

Business 101--Listen to your customers, or you won't have any.

I have no dog in this fight but it seems the web site was updated and now lists Blake as a partner. Only thing is when you click on the about tab about Blake it shows information about Feller. Confusing?

Feller & Bloxham Hair Transplantation | DR. BLOXHAM

Unbelievable, they must have been busy today because when mav posted about the website, I checked for myself and there was no mention of Blake. However, looking at the "costs" section, this was posted, so I guess they haven't updated everything yet:

"Call now for your consultation with Dr. Feller at 516-487-3797"

Only problem, Dr Feller just admitted that he doesn't do consultations anymore.

Unbelievable, they must have been busy today because when mav posted about the website, I checked for myself and there was no mention of Blake. However, looking at the "costs" section, this was posted, so I guess they haven't updated everything yet:

"Call now for your consultation with Dr. Feller at 516-487-3797"

Only problem, Dr Feller just admitted that he doesn't do consultations anymore.

Yes I noticed this as well and very disturbing.

I believe what Dr. Feller was saying regarding consultations is that he does not do them during procedures.

"While I could perform a second procedure while he does a first, we choose not to do this. I don't even see consultations."

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I believe what Dr. Feller was saying regarding consultations is that he does not do them during procedures.

"While I could perform a second procedure while he does a first, we choose not to do this. I don't even see consultations."

Sorry with all due respect I don't believe this and the others here probably won't either. This clinic in our eyes has been busted. There are so many things here that are wrong. I personally have no beef with Dr Feller I think he is a great surgeon but

people should know what they are paying for.

That is correct. Patients have no say over how I or my staff perform any part of the procedure. In fact I have that in my consent form and it must be agreed to and signed before a procedure may commence. There can only be one chef.

As for your question to the moderators. My inclusion of a qualified doctor into my established practice is far from unprecedented in general medicine or HT in particular. I know of several other Coalition members off the top of my head who have included new associates who still work in these practices to this very day. To name a few in no particular order:

Dr. Robert Bernstein,

Dr. Michael Behneer,

Dr. Robert True,

Dr. Ron Shapiro,

Dr. David Segar (my mentor r.i.p.),

Dr. James Harris,

Dr. Edmund Griffin,

At one point most if not all of us were apprenticed to a more experienced HT doctor. Without this right of passage there would be no continuous existence of a method or practice. A successful practice needs to bring on new personnel as it ages. But it must be done responsibly and systematically. Those doctors listed above have succeeded in doing that, and I shall as well.

Doctor Feller could you clarify this statement. Are you implying that if one booked a procedure with Drs Bernstein, Beehner, ect they would have no say as to whom actually worked on them, be it Drs Bernstein, Beehner, or their associates ?

Yes it is a given that established doctors having associates is far from unprecedented, however that is not what is being discussed here. Or is it ? No one is questioning you having an associate, the question appears to be which doctor performs which part of the procedure.

It seems we are mixing two very different concepts. One were two doctors of varying experience work interchangeably, another where one can go to a clinic and choose between two or more doctors and have that and only that doctor perform the procedure.

Please clarify and make that distinction between these two very different concepts. So we can all better understand. Thank you.

Sorry with all due respect I don't believe this and the others here probably won't either. This clinic in our eyes has been busted. There are so many things here that are wrong. I personally have no beef with Dr Feller I think he is a great surgeon but

people should know what they are paying for.

Busted indeed.

Worse now is the treatment of Professor, an understandably panicked guy who went in expecting to be in the hands of the surgeon he chose only to be served a surgeon he never met before.

He was booted (understandably) for soft threats, but like Paleo, we're now 2 for 2 on patients making strong accusations toward doctors that ultimately have proven to be accurate.

Pretty concerning trend.

For me, its the arrogance and attitude of Dr Feller that makes it egregious. He has basically come out and said that the patient has absolutely no choice or say in the which surgeon performs which part of the surgery. He won't allow for any personal preference, and its basically his way or not at all. I am not one to ever elect a surgeon based on bedside manner alone - the skill and quality should always override this, but I personally think any patient who has read this thread, and still chooses Dr Feller for a procedure is a stupid idiot. Quite frankly there are outstanding surgeons with wonderful bedside manners that will accommodate the personal preferences of the patient such as Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr Carlos Wesley, two of the nicest guys you can meet, and both just as skillful as Dr Feller. In fact I think Dr Ron is a step above. Dr Feller fails to recognize that a hair transplant is an elective procedure, that patients do have a choice in surgeons, and we do not have to put up with his attitude and arrogance.

I guess Bosley and Matt Levitt did all the thousands of patients themselves in all their clinics. Doctors that become very successful have to expand their practice I believe if you have been trained by that doctor you will mirror his work and his style or you would not be selected to represent the name. No doctor in his right mind would want to hire someone that wasn't as qualified and could keep up the good name and image of the clinic. I know Dr. Feller is a perfectionist and any doctor he would add to his practice would have to be exceptional .

For me, its the arrogance and attitude of Dr Feller that makes it egregious. He has basically come out and said that the patient has absolutely no choice or say in the which surgeon performs which part of the surgery. He won't allow for any personal preference, and its basically his way or not at all. I am not one to ever elect a surgeon based on bedside manner alone - the skill and quality should always override this, but I personally think any patient who has read this thread, and still chooses Dr Feller for a procedure is a stupid idiot. Quite frankly there are outstanding surgeons with wonderful bedside manners that will accommodate the personal preferences of the patient such as Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr Carlos Wesley, two of the nicest guys you can meet, and both just as skillful as Dr Feller. In fact I think Dr Ron is a step above. Dr Feller fails to recognize that a hair transplant is an elective procedure, that patients do have a choice in surgeons, and we do not have to put up with his attitude and arrogance.

What he said.