VIDEO: A Hairline even a Cyborg could love- Dr. Feller/ Dr. Bloxham Great Neck, NY

Not EVERY patient who seeks out a hair transplant initially had hair and then lost it. Some never had it to begin with like this actor who said his asymmetric hairline has bothered him since birth.

His procedure went smoothly. Typical dense pack ultra refined hair transplant. But after taking his photos he reminded me of someone...

VIDEO:

1.jpg.3e0ca39e981fdce151d27f98802f9e8f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.988d5292011c29e9afd457761ca6be74.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.827617b77f1f85a8e6e71a92c76846a8.jpg

7.jpg.34edfdc7401c081a39c291ee163a2787.jpg

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller
New photos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Feller:

1) can a patient choose to have you or Dr Bloxham perform the surgery?

2) if you are the assigned surgeon, has it ever been switched to Dr Blake on the day of surgery? If yes, how do you seek out the patient consent?

Dr Feller:

1) can a patient choose to have you or Dr Bloxham perform the surgery?

2) if you are the assigned surgeon, has it ever been switched to Dr Blake on the day of surgery? If yes, how do you seek out the patient consent?

1. No. Procedures are performed together

2.No.

Every case performed here, as always, is done as a team from the physicians down to the techs. Patients are informed of this prior to surgery AND is included in our consent form as well.

Movie/TV roles that require a buzz cut...TERMINATED?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

I'll bite though...

Although I don't see mention of # of grafts here, I thought you said FUE is appropriate in some cases. Guy seemed like an ideal candidate, why cut him open?

2.No.

Every case performed here, as always, is done as a team from the physicians down to the techs. Patients are informed of this prior to surgery AND is included in our consent form as well.

That's interesting. So in other words, as the doctors work together with the incisions it seems that some people will get mostly Dr Feller's work while others will get mostly Dr Bloxham's. Yet they are all paying the same price.

Does that mean Dr Bloxham's lack of experience doesn't affect the result adversely at all versus Dr Feller's extensive experience?

I mean, sure, in theory he is trained and supervised by Dr Feller, so the standard shouldn't slip. But it seems a curious set up.

Why pay top dollar for a surgeon with so little experience to work on you? Does experience not matter as much in HT surgery as it does in other cosmetic surgery?

Edited by LondonHTseeker

I don't think there's anything wrong with the setup and I have a lot of confidence in Dr. B.

The only question I'd ask is how this impacts the clinic's recommendation status on this site; Dr. Feller is a Coalition Member, but Dr. B is not recommended (yet) given that he's brand-new to practice.

2.No.

Thank you Dr Feller. This tells me all I need to know, especially in the context of Professor's allegation. You are basically saying that when a patient elects surgery with the Feller clinic, he has no say over which surgeon will be performing the incision making process.

My next question is therefore directed at the moderators:

Pat / Bill / David

1) How does the above practice impact the recommendation of Dr Feller? I.e. A prospective patient elects to use Dr Feller based on the recommendation of Dr Feller by this website, yet has no say on Dr Feller actually performing the incision making process which has equal probability of being performed by Dr Blake Bloxham, a surgeon not yet recommended by this website.

Thank you Dr Feller. This tells me all I need to know, especially in the context of Professor's allegation. You are basically saying that when a patient elects surgery with the Feller clinic, he has no say over which surgeon will be performing the incision making process.

My next question is therefore directed at the moderators:

Pat / Bill / David

1) How does the above practice impact the recommendation of Dr Feller? I.e. A prospective patient elects to use Dr Feller based on the recommendation of Dr Feller by this website, yet has no say on Dr Feller actually performing the incision making process which has equal probability of being performed by Dr Blake Bloxham, a surgeon not yet recommended by this website.

That is correct. Patients have no say over how I or my staff perform any part of the procedure. In fact I have that in my consent form and it must be agreed to and signed before a procedure may commence. There can only be one chef.

As for your question to the moderators. My inclusion of a qualified doctor into my established practice is far from unprecedented in general medicine or HT in particular. I know of several other Coalition members off the top of my head who have included new associates who still work in these practices to this very day. To name a few in no particular order:

Dr. Robert Bernstein,

Dr. Michael Behneer,

Dr. Robert True,

Dr. Ron Shapiro,

Dr. David Segar (my mentor r.i.p.),

Dr. James Harris,

Dr. Edmund Griffin,

At one point most if not all of us were apprenticed to a more experienced HT doctor. Without this right of passage there would be no continuous existence of a method or practice. A successful practice needs to bring on new personnel as it ages. But it must be done responsibly and systematically. Those doctors listed above have succeeded in doing that, and I shall as well.

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

Win200 and Stig,

Gents: I really appreciate the "not recommended yet" comment. Nice to know you guys think I have what it takes to be considered for recommendation in the future! I've worked hard to achieve a certain standard of work, and the vote of confidence -- regardless of context -- is truly appreciated.

Look forward to sharing cases in the future!

Edited by DrBlakeBloxham
spelling

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

That is correct. Patients have no say over how I or my staff perform any part of the procedure. In fact I have that in my consent form and it must be agreed to and signed before a procedure may commence. There can only be one chef.

As for your question to the moderators. My inclusion of a qualified doctor into my established practice is far from unprecedented in general medicine or HT in particular. I know of several other Coalition members off the top of my head who have included new associates who still work in these practices to this very day. To name a few in no particular order:

Dr. Robert Bernstein,

Dr. Michael Behneer,

Dr. Robert True,

Dr. Ron Shapiro,

Dr. James Harris,

Dr. Edmund Griffin,

At one point most if not all of us were apprenticed to a more experienced HT doctor. Without this right of passage there would be no continuous existence of a method or practice. A successful practice needs to bring on new personnel as it ages. But it must be done responsibly and systematically. Those doctors listed above have succeeded in doing that, and I shall as well.

Thanks for clarifying Dr Feller, although my question to the moderators still stands.

Win200 and Stig,

Gents: I really appreciate the "not recommended yet" comment. Nice to know you guys think I have what it takes to be considered for recommendation in the future! I've worked hard to achieve a certain standard of work, and the vote of confidence -- regardless of context -- is truly appreciated.

Look forward to sharing cases in the future!

All the best to you Dr Bloxham. Although I have not seen nearly enough of your work, I look forward to the day when you do make it onto the recommended list, and will try be the first to congratulate you!

So I spent a good 6 months researching and researching and researching the best HT surgeon for me and landed on Dr Rahal. After choosing Dr Rahal and paying over $10k for a procedure with him, planning time off work and then the excitement I felt, when I flew out for my procedure, not once did I even think to specifically ask him to confirm that Dr Rahal and only Dr Rahal would be cutting my strip and making the incisions. When I signed the pages and pages of consent forms, I'll be honest and state that I skimmed over the verbiage and never really read much of anything. If there was anything in writing stating that a newly qualified apprentice could be performing the surgery, I would have probably completely missed it. Now I shudder to even comprehend being in that chair having the strip cut out only to find that the critical aspects of the procedure is being performed by anyone other than Dr Rahal. Thank heaven that never happened, but I feel sick to my stomach that something like that could have very well have happened to me if I chose another surgeon from this recommended list. Vomit in my mouth

Classic bait and switch.

"Hey I thought Dr. Ron was doing my surgery. Where's he? Oh this is his brother Paul, you'll love him, he's great. Learned everything from Ron. Ok sweet but I just gave you $10,000 for Dr. Ron not Paul. It's ok, don't worry, it'll be fine. So who's doing what? Oh they'll both pitch in, all good. But aren't certain aspects of the procedure more challenging and require experience? Like I said, they are brothers. If you love Ron you'll love Paul. So I have no choice? Well, you.... well not really. You signed the form and we already sliced your head open. Remember? Right! The forms."

No this never happened, never would.

What f'n planet am I on. This is a sad story unfolding.

Was just reading Feller's website. Not once is the name Dr Blake Bloxham mentioned anywhere. In addition, this is an extract from the website:

"On the day of the surgery you would arrive to the clinic early at 7am. You would then discuss with Dr Feller the expectations and final design of where the transplanted hair will be received. Before pictures will be taken and the final expectations agreed with both the patient and the doctor. You are then taken into a room where your donor area will be anaesthetised along the area where the donor supply will be taken from. Once the area has been numbed you will then be taken into the actual transplant room where you will be made to feel comfortable. Your scalp will be tested to make sure your are free from pain, The donor area will then be removed whilst you watch TV or a selection of videos to help keep your mind at rest. The experience really is very calm and pain free. When the donor supply has been harvested, the transplant team take the follicles and then begin trimming them and organizing them into 1,2,3 and 4 hair grafts for strategic placement into the recipient sites. Whilst the technicians are looking after the grafts Dr feller will then create the recipient holes for the grafts to be placed"

Dr. Robert Bernstein,

Dr. Michael Behneer,

Dr. Robert True,

Dr. Ron Shapiro,

Dr. James Harris,

Dr. Edmund Griffin,

Dear Dr, out of your list above, I consulted with Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr True. When dealing with Shapiro medical, I made it clear to Matt Zupan that I wanted Dr Ron Shapiro only. He had no objections to my preference. When I consulted with True & Dorin, I specifically asked for Dr Dorin, and had no objections from Peter. Although not on your list, when I consulted with Hasson & Wong, I also specifically asked for Dr Hasson only, and got no objections. I know for a fact these three clinics will accommodate a patient's preference for a particular surgeon, so I disagree with your comparison sir.

Dear Dr Feller,

In respect of the list of doctors you referenced in your last post, i consulted with Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr True. When dealing with Shapiro medical, I made it clear to Matt Zupan that I wanted Dr Ron Shapiro only. He had no objections to my preference. When I consulted with True & Dorin, I specifically asked for Dr Dorin, and had no objections from Peter. Although not on your list, when I consulted with Hasson & Wong, I also specifically asked for Dr Hasson only, and got no objections. I know for a fact these three clinics will accommodate a patient's preference for a particular surgeon, so I disagree with your comparison.

• Administrators

I don't think apprenticing a new eager doctor such as Dr. Bloxham in to your practice is a bad thing, however creating the recipient sites is one of the most important aspects of hair restoration, this is what separates a skillful surgeon creating a hairline that flows naturally with the appropriate angles, to a hair mill that simply dumps grafts on the head, the fact that certain facets of the surgery are not discussed with the patient beforehand is extremely disturbing to me.

I can understand that technicians as well as new apprentice doctors play a role in today's hair restoration and rightfully so, however, the patient should be sat down and explained thoroughly what role the technicians and the apprentice physicians will play in their surgery.

We demand this from FUE physicians, we demand that the doctor at the very least create the recipient sites, why should this be any different for FUT? I think the practice that Dr. Bloxham gets should be with the full understanding and consent of the patient beforehand. I also think that including this in a consent form rather than explain it verbally is somewhat misleading for the patients, with the excitement and everything going on, I would bet that more than half of all HT patients don't fully read the forms they sign or they don't fully comprehend them.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I don't think apprenticing a new eager doctor such as Dr. Bloxham in to your practice is a bad thing, however creating the recipient sites is one of the most important aspects of hair restoration, this is what separates a skillful surgeon creating a hairline that flows naturally with the appropriate angles, to a hair mill that simply dumps grafts on the head, the fact that certain facets of the surgery are not discussed with the patient beforehand is extremely disturbing to me.

I can understand that technicians as well as new apprentice doctors play a role in today's hair restoration and rightfully so, however, the patient should be sat down and explained thoroughly what role the technicians and the apprentice physicians will play in their surgery.

We demand this from FUE physicians, we demand that the doctor at the very least create the recipient sites, why should this be any different for FUT? I think the practice that Dr. Bloxham gets should be with the full understanding and consent of the patient beforehand. I also think that including this in a consent form rather than explain it verbally is somewhat misleading for the patients, with the excitement and everything going on, I would bet that more than half of all HT patients don't fully read the forms they sign or they don't fully comprehend them.

Well said.

Was just reading Feller's website. Not once is the name Dr Blake Bloxham mentioned anywhere. In addition, this is an extract from the website:

"On the day of the surgery you would arrive to the clinic early at 7am. You would then discuss with Dr Feller the expectations and final design of where the transplanted hair will be received. Before pictures will be taken and the final expectations agreed with both the patient and the doctor. You are then taken into a room where your donor area will be anaesthetised along the area where the donor supply will be taken from. Once the area has been numbed you will then be taken into the actual transplant room where you will be made to feel comfortable. Your scalp will be tested to make sure your are free from pain, The donor area will then be removed whilst you watch TV or a selection of videos to help keep your mind at rest. The experience really is very calm and pain free. When the donor supply has been harvested, the transplant team take the follicles and then begin trimming them and organizing them into 1,2,3 and 4 hair grafts for strategic placement into the recipient sites. Whilst the technicians are looking after the grafts Dr feller will then create the recipient holes for the grafts to be placed"

Very interesting that in this day and age the Feller clinic doesn't take the time to update their own website with current information. Surely they must be aware that prospective patients visit the website when researching. I'm the last person in the world that is ever going to tell someone how to run their own business, but I find it very interesting that this type of critical information as to the fact that the potential exists for a doctor in training to perform critical aspects of the surgery is completely missing from the practice's own website, as well as any bio or mention of the said Doctor in training. Its all well and fine that this information is conveniently embedded in the many consent forms, but at that stage hasn't the prospective patient paid a non-refundable deposit and potentially even for the procedure itself, as well as traveled and taken time off from work ect ect.

Guys... There is one thing we all should think about.

As example J.K. Rowling.

She gets famous for her Harry Potter books.

But she started with other books first.

So i'd say if she never started the books before.. If she just said: I can't do this.

She'd never become as rich and famous as she is today.

Maybe thats an bad example but it was the first one i thaught about..

So look at Dr. Feller... or Dr. Erdogan, or Dr. Lorenzo or all the other recommendet doctors here..

Neither Dr. Feller nor Dr. Erdogan or ANYONE starts as a "hairtransplantstar".

They all started in the past.

And Dr. Blake is starteing now.

Im 100% sure Dr. Feller learned him everything he knows about it and if Dr. Blake is not good enough in his eyes... Dr. Blake would not be allowed to work on the patients.

I know, everyone would like to go to the more experienced doc.

But think about it... If noone went to those docs before they want be where they are today.

We need young docs as Blake.

Maybe he is the next "Feller" or "Wong" in 10 years or so.

I dont know.

You dont know.

Time will tell us.

So the only question is:

Do the patients know that maybe Dr. Blake do the work or not.

All the best