Dr Rahal - 2,245 graft procedure FUT

Mav,

Congratulations on your recent transplant with Dr Rahal he is a top notch surgeon so I expect a great result for you. Thanks for posting such a detailed write up it was interesting to read.

Nearly all patients experience numbness above the scar and this can last for 6 months although it does come back slowly and surely.

Good growth to you!

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mav,

Congratulations on your recent transplant with Dr Rahal he is a top notch surgeon so I expect a great result for you. Thanks for posting such a detailed write up it was interesting to read.

Nearly all patients experience numbness above the scar and this can last for 6 months although it does come back slowly and surely.

Good growth to you!

Thanks David, I appreciate the comments! I can't say enough about how impressed I was with Dr Hasson and the whole H&W clinic, especially the attention to detail when he was examining my hair in Vancouver. No doubt he would have done an outstanding job as well. I also had a brilliant experience when I met with Mike Ferko and thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. He was also very understanding and supportive when I decided to go with Rahal. Like I said above, will definitely still consider switching to Hasson in the future if it makes the most sense for my long-term plan even if this result from Rahal is stellar which I suspect (and hope) it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

3 week update:

Not much to report at this point. Dr Rahal sent me a personal text message at the 1 week mark just before New Years to check in on my recovery. I definitely wasn't expecting that, but it was a very nice surprise and much appreciated. I used the oppurtunity to send him a picture, and he commented that everything looks on track. At the 12 day mark I got the sutures removed at a private care clinic. I remember this hurting like crazy my 1st procedure, so I took a Tylenal and let the donor area soak in the tub for 15 minutes before heading to the clinic. At the clinic, the doctor was very astonished when I showed him the back of my head. He almost seemed very apprehensive at what I was asking him to do. He kept asking me why I don't just go back to the Rahal clinic to remove the sutures, and asked me multiple times if Rahal specifically instructed me to come to this particular clinic. Finally, he also grilled me as to whether 12 days was the correct day to get them removed. I even showed him the Rahal post-op instructions. Then it was my turn to ask him if he had any specific concerns about removing them or if he thought he couldn't do it. I came pretty close to walking out and going to another private care clinic (it was a Sunday). It took him around 30 minutes to remove the sutures, and for some reason it never hurt as much as my 1st procedure. It did feel like a massive relief to have them out, although the back of my head is still very numb. The scar itself looks very messy, so I sent a picture to the former Rahal and H&W employee that has helped me. He though there seemed to be some skabbing over the scar that I needed to wash under the shower, but recommended I check in with the clinic. I sent a picture to Kamila at the Rahal clinic last Wednesday, and she called me back to say she ran the pictures by Mke, and they were concerned that some sutures may have been left in. I went immediately to my doctor who double checked the area and gave me the all clear. It seems to have gotten better, although tomorrow is the first day back at the office, and it is visible, so not sure what I am going to do or say. I'll try apply a coating of couvre to the area to draw attention away from it. I am hoping that my buzzed cut look diverts everyone's attention away from the scar. Bottom line, anyone which any knowledge of hair transplants is going to know immediately what I had done. I swear I will deny it though. Other than that, at the 14 day mark I was able to touch the recepient area again, and it took 3 showers to remove all the scabs and crusts. I also re-started Rogain (Rahal instructed that I stop a month before the surgery). I'm only applying it once a day, but noticed that it is turning the recepient area more red than it was before. Nothing too bad. I will up it to twice a week in a week or so.

That's all there is to report on folks. I am now officially in the ugly duckling stage again, so will be trying to avoid mirrors at all cost. For my 1st procedure, I exited the ugly duckling stage around 3 months and by 4.5 months had noticed significant growth. So at this point I am going to hibernate for the winter and look forward to the end of March and beyond with hair, more hair, and plenty of women!

3 week update:

Not much to report at this point. Dr Rahal sent me a personal text message at the 1 week mark just before New Years to check in on my recovery. I definitely wasn't expecting that, but it was a very nice surprise and much appreciated. I used the oppurtunity to send him a picture, and he commented that everything looks on track. At the 12 day mark I got the sutures removed at a private care clinic. I remember this hurting like crazy my 1st procedure, so I took a Tylenal and let the donor area soak in the tub for 15 minutes before heading to the clinic. At the clinic, the doctor was very astonished when I showed him the back of my head. He almost seemed very apprehensive at what I was asking him to do. He kept asking me why I don't just go back to the Rahal clinic to remove the sutures, and asked me multiple times if Rahal specifically instructed me to come to this particular clinic. Finally, he also grilled me as to whether 12 days was the correct day to get them removed. I even showed him the Rahal post-op instructions. Then it was my turn to ask him if he had any specific concerns about removing them or if he thought he couldn't do it. I came pretty close to walking out and going to another private care clinic (it was a Sunday). It took him around 30 minutes to remove the sutures, and for some reason it never hurt as much as my 1st procedure. It did feel like a massive relief to have them out, although the back of my head is still very numb. The scar itself looks very messy, so I sent a picture to the former Rahal and H&W employee that has helped me. He though there seemed to be some skabbing over the scar that I needed to wash under the shower, but recommended I check in with the clinic. I sent a picture to Kamila at the Rahal clinic last Wednesday, and she called me back to say she ran the pictures by Mke, and they were concerned that some sutures may have been left in. I went immediately to my doctor who double checked the area and gave me the all clear. It seems to have gotten better, although tomorrow is the first day back at the office, and it is visible, so not sure what I am going to do or say. I'll try apply a coating of couvre to the area to draw attention away from it. I am hoping that my buzzed cut look diverts everyone's attention away from the scar. Bottom line, anyone which any knowledge of hair transplants is going to know immediately what I had done. I swear I will deny it though. Other than that, at the 14 day mark I was able to touch the recepient area again, and it took 3 showers to remove all the scabs and crusts. I also re-started Rogain (Rahal instructed that I stop a month before the surgery). I'm only applying it once a day, but noticed that it is turning the recepient area more red than it was before. Nothing too bad. I will up it to twice a week in a week or so.

That's all there is to report on folks. I am now officially in the ugly duckling stage again, so will be trying to avoid mirrors at all cost. For my 1st procedure, I exited the ugly duckling stage around 3 months and by 4.5 months had noticed significant growth. So at this point I am going to hibernate for the winter and look forward to the end of March and beyond with hair, more hair, and plenty of women!

Hey man, probably too late now, but I'd have just told my boss I had a minor operation on my head and need to wear a hat for two weeks. No dignified employer would press further or probe you on that. Hope you got along ok.

Hey man, probably too late now, but I'd have just told my boss I had a minor operation on my head and need to wear a hat for two weeks. No dignified employer would press further or probe you on that. Hope you got along ok.

LOL - I actually pulled a similar story for my first procedure a year and a half ago, so couldn't do it again.

LOL - I actually pulled a similar story for my first procedure a year and a half ago, so couldn't do it again.

Tell him that you've become a "cutter" in the time since your last operation; that you just started a new relationship with a hot number; and that she sliced your head up during a particularly zealous sexual encounter.

Hi! Congrats on your transplant!

I would be very curious to see pics 1 month post op as I will probably be going through a HT with Dr Rahal also and I would be going back to work after 4 weeks... Anxious to see how it looks :P Thanks!

I would be very curious to see pics 1 month post op as I will probably be going through a HT with Dr Rahal also and I would be going back to work after 4 weeks... Anxious to see how it looks :P Thanks!

He really does have a efficient process, and I never felt any of it was rushed. I think Dr Rahal has gotten an unfair online reputation, and is only doing what every other top surgeon in the world not named Konior does.

This made me laugh out loud considering some of our off line convos.

Good luck with your HT. You went to one of the top docs, and I am sure your results will be great :)

Sure I will snap some pictures this week. Basically the side hair is now covering about 80% of the scar, you have to be standing very close to notice it now. The top of my head is looking exactly what it would look like 4 weeks after a buzz cut. It is messy as I hit this stage where it's still growing out so it looks like it needs to be styled but the length is not long enough to allow for styling. Basically there is nothing you can really do but let it grow-in some more. The recepient area is slightly redder now than it was at the two week mark, and that's because I started using Minoxadal at that point. I am only using it once a day for now.

this was my head after 1.5 months after my Dr Rahal transplant. Pretty red and kinda ugly but it heals quick. A barley remember those first few months and never hid it from anyone. I work with over 150 people and nobody made a big deal of it all. I was open about it and everyone was very supportive.

IMG_1240.thumb.JPG.5669957d049ddfb7314096f7867621a9.JPG

Attached is a picture at the 1 month mark. The sides have grown in much quicker than the top, and as the days go on I am trying not to panic about the possibility that it never grows back to what it was immediately pre-op - lol. Crossing fingers that everything is fine. Will not be posting any more pictures until the 4 month mark unless anyone specifically wants to see a monthly update. Just let me know, I'll be around.

5b32ea948b619_1month.thumb.JPG.0877f7dc3a9d98c0c7a6906a3cc9f653.JPG

Attached is a picture at the 1 month mark. The sides have grown in much quicker than the top, and as the days go on I am trying not to panic about the possibility that it never grows back to what it was immediately pre-op - lol. Crossing fingers that everything is fine. Will not be posting any more pictures until the 4 month mark unless anyone specifically wants to see a monthly update. Just let me know, I'll be around.

Its funny how tough it is to take your own advice sometimes, isn't it? I've been trying to stay away from the mirror and camera too. Good move.

The lines are looking good man. Still alot of hair intact at 4 wks. Are you going to buzz the sides to even it out or just let it grow? Hows the donor look since last update?

Its funny how tough it is to take your own advice sometimes, isn't it? I've been trying to stay away from the mirror and camera too. Good move.

The lines are looking good man. Still alot of hair intact at 4 wks. Are you going to buzz the sides to even it out or just let it grow? Hows the donor look since last update?

Thanks buddy, yeah it's a different story when you are the one going through the ugly duckling stage. I definitely want to buzz the sides ever so slightly to even it out, but the hair is only now hiding the scar and it still feels very tender, so I'm going to try putting off going to the Barbar for as long as I can. Maybe another week or two. Under harsh lights the top looks bald as hell, so I get a glimpse of what I would look like as a NW7 with side hairs grown long - YIKES!!! Unfortunately my elevator at work is mirrored on the inside with harsh lighting, so I can't seem to escape having to stare at myself in the mirror multiple times per day going up and down 28 odd stories. I am going to try experimenting with Toppic on the top and see if that can make it look more balanced and buy me some more time before I have to go to the Barbar, but am trying to hold off on that as well to allow the recepient more time to heal. Will ask the Rahal clinic when I can start using Toppic again. The after care from Rahal has been phenomenal by the way. Kamila, my patient care advisor has been constantly checking in and has been super helpful in everything, including evaluating my pics to vetting my choice of shampoo. Using the Waterman's grow me shampoo.

I have avoided evaluating the scar. It worries me and feels more painful than the first procedure where it healed to A+++. I dunno why, but I just got a bad feeling about it, so have decided to just let it heal and will get Dr Rahal to check it for me at the 6 month mark. If I try to check it myself, I think I would just drive myself crazy. Other than that, slight shock loss on the donor consistent with the 1st procedure and as expected, but it looks okay.

How are you coming along now that you are in the fun stages? Seeing any activity?

Edited by mav23100gunther

Thanks buddy, yeah it's a different story when you are the one going through the ugly duckling stage. I definitely want to buzz the sides ever so slightly to even it out, but the hair is only now hiding the scar and it still feels very tender, so I'm going to try putting off going to the Barbar for as long as I can. Maybe another week or two. Under harsh lights the top looks bald as hell, so I get a glimpse of what I would look like as a NW7 with side hairs grown long - YIKES!!! Unfortunately my elevator at work is mirrored on the inside with harsh lighting, so I can't seem to escape having to stare at myself in the mirror multiple times per day going up and down 28 odd stories. I am going to try experimenting with Toppic on the top and see if that can make it look more balanced and buy me some more time before I have to go to the Barbar, but am trying to hold off on that as well to allow the recepient more time to heal. Will ask the Rahal clinic when I can start using Toppic again. The after care from Rahal has been phenomenal by the way. Kamila, my patient care advisor has been constantly checking in and has been super helpful in everything, including evaluating my pics to vetting my choice of shampoo. Using the Waterman's grow me shampoo.

I have avoided evaluating the scar. It worries me and feels more painful than the first procedure where it healed to A+++. I dunno why, but I just got a bad feeling about it, so have decided to just let it heal and will get Dr Rahal to check it for me at the 6 month mark. If I try to check it myself, I think I would just drive myself crazy. Other than that, slight shock loss on the donor consistent with the 1st procedure and as expected, but it looks okay.

How are you coming along now that you are in the fun stages? Seeing any activity?

Yeah no doubt right around month 1 the post-op "high" fades and anticipation kicks in. The shed is a serious reaity check and kick to the nuts. It's such a tease. The process really is no joke but at least you know your head was in masterful hands.

Good call on not stressing donor now. So much still to happen. I held off on gym for 1.5 months and glad I did. Good to hear post-op care is top notch. Rarely talked about but so clutch. You'll be looking good by late Spring.

50% of my hairs about 1.5 inches, 50% still trying to peak through. Black hair/fair skin stinks. You win on that one.

• 1 month later...

Quick update;

It's been just over 3 months now since the procedure. It has taken a while for the hair in the recepient area to grow back to what it was immediately pre-op. From mid-Feb it started to fill in more and more, and every week saw significant improvements. As of today, I am almost back to where I was pre-op, maybe 2 more weeks to get there. I also see some of that new hair (I think) starting to poke through, so good times ahead as I exit the ugly duckling phase and hopefully into the growth stages. I will be posting pictures at around the 4 month mark. Happy Holidays everyone that celebrates Easter!

Quick update;

It's been just over 3 months now since the procedure. It has taken a while for the hair in the recepient area to grow back to what it was immediately pre-op. From mid-Feb it started to fill in more and more, and every week saw significant improvements. As of today, I am almost back to where I was pre-op, maybe 2 more weeks to get there. I also see some of that new hair (I think) starting to poke through, so good times ahead as I exit the ugly duckling phase and hopefully into the growth stages. I will be posting pictures at around the 4 month mark. Happy Holidays everyone that celebrates Easter!

Do you mean that your old took time to grow to same length as before operation? Or do you due to shockloss now your existing hair is starting to grow back?

Thx.

Do you mean that your old took time to grow to same length as before operation? Or do you due to shockloss now your existing hair is starting to grow back?

Thx.

Not sure exactly what happened, but if you look at the 1 month after pic, the sides grew in very quickly and they already looked like they did pre-op at that point, whilst my recepient area looked terrible. I suspect the trauma of the surgery (A lot of grafts being placed between existing hairs) caused some existing hairs to go into the dormant phase, some got shock lost and the rest just grew back as very fine hairs that have been very slow to mature. Also the redness of the scalp probably didn't help with creating the illusion of density (which is what I rely upon with light skin and blonde hair). Hope I am making sense here.

Edited by mav23100gunther

Hey Mav, great to see hear that you've moved through the worst of it and starting to look like your old self. I'm about 2 weeks in front of you, and after months hiding under a cap I braved having dinner with the in-laws cap free last night - not a single comment. Ahhh- good riddance duck phase!

Hey Mav, great to see hear that you've moved through the worst of it and starting to look like your old self. I'm about 2 weeks in front of you, and after months hiding under a cap I braved having dinner with the in-laws cap free last night - not a single comment. Ahhh- good riddance duck phase!

Thank you mate, yes it definitely feels good to have the ugly duckling phase in the rear view mirror. Only good times lie ahead now.