Hey guys,

First post on this forum, but long time user. I'm 25 an had a transplant with Dr. Rahal in July of this year. First and foremost, the experience and care and post-op care from Dr. Rahal's staff has been nothing short of amazing. The patient care team has responded to every one of my questions promptly and reassured me every step of the way. I'll upload an immediate post op photo and pre op photo and will upload more monthly progress photos. I'm at 4.5 months right now. My main concerns right now are a few spots of patchiness in the donor (though I was made aware i have slightly below average donor density) and the recipient area is a little sparse (though I understand 4.5 months is early days).

As for medicinal treatments, I can't say I've ever had any tremendous regrowth success with anything. I always had a higher forehead and never head a perfectly shaped norwood 1, but noticed the recession around 19/ or 20.

I tried rogaine for about 9 months at the time which just seemed to induce irritation, dandruff, and some minor vellus hair that weren't cosmetically significant.

Nothing changed until I was 24 and after a stint on prednisone for asthma related issues (not sure if this contributed or not),but I lost a bit of ground in the temples though everything else remained thick.

This sent me into a bit of a panic wherein I tried anything I could get my hands on: Krill oil, vitamins, topical coconut oil (which did have a little bit of a thickening effect if nothing else felt therapeutic), and lasers...

There's not a ton of concrete information on lasers across the forums, but there is a ton of anecdotal evidence so I can throw my experience into the pot and you can make of it what you will: Migraines and lifeless fried hair. This is no exaggeration and I feel it's important to share this information. I used one of the homemade helmets recommended by another forum. The headaches were not psychosomatic; they were very real and persisted about 2-3 days after every 20 minute treatment. I dropped it during January of 2015 after months of no results. Others have claimed results through lasers and I'm not claiming they haven't, this is simply my experience with them.

Propecia: Started in February of 2015. Caused the most temporal shedding of any treatment I've tried. Prior to propecia I was probably a Norwood 2 and a month on it brought me to a 2.5 closing in a Norwood 3. This is not to add more fuel to the fire of propecia fear mongering. I've never once experience any sexual side effects and the rest of my hair did actually thicken up a bit, but the temples went on an extended vacation starting in March. I did reduce my dosage and slowly over the course of 2015 regained a bit of hair.

My question is this though: During the month of October early November, I experience some pretty early growth that pretty nicely framed my face. Then I added minoxidil foam and regenepure DR and loss a fair bit of recipient density shortly after. So either one of those is the culprit or both. I know Spex has written about Nizoral 2% sometimes negative effect on transplanted hair and that the shed is temporary.

Attached is one post op pic and a pre op pic. More photos will follow.

5b32e9c834232_Photoon7-31-15at2_45PM.jpg.8d8a11e7ff154872d660c71749980c42.jpg

5b32e9c8514b2_Photoon3-22-15at1_13AM.jpg.3fb3e73b80dffb407836ff45b34160d0.jpg

To be honest your hair looked good pre-op, I would've held off on surgery, but then again I was nearly completely bald by the time I had surgery, happy growing dude.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Well I certainly wish I heard more of those sentiments pre-op. But it was quite thinned out in the front. I'll upload more photos taken the day of surgery. But we did opt for a conservative approach and I have a modest family history of hair loss. In fact, Dr. Rahal was adamant about being conservative and put a fair deal of thought into future planning. After consulting with a good number of doctors and patient advisors, I feel Dr. Rahal could not have been more ethical in the way he treated me and my particular case.

Congrats on your recent hair transplant with dr. Rahal! I'm sure that's going to look great.

The shedding from hair loss treatments should be temporary. Only the most miniaturized hairs that were on their way out already may be lost permanently. The thing is, you'll need to continue using them for a minimum of 6 months and up to one year before the full impact is known.

Best of luck!

David - Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

If anyone has any suggestions as to why transplanted hair could be shedding/ losing density at the 4.5 mark, I'd really appreciate it. I went through my initial shed and then made progress. Then it started to go downhill in November and I haven't seen any improvement.

If anyone has any suggestions as to why transplanted hair could be shedding/ losing density at the 4.5 mark, I'd really appreciate it. I went through my initial shed and then made progress. Then it started to go downhill in November and I haven't seen any improvement.

By any chance, do you happen to know the amount of recipient density you had planted? Ex 65cm2 or what? Did you have native hairs in the zones worked? Keep an eye on it and document. Shockloss could be an issue, but i hope you have success in a aew months.

I had about 55 cm2. Not a ton native hair in the area worked. The area was a band that worked itself into the hairline, especially in the corners. Perhaps I've had a little bit of recipient shock loss; I'm more confident in saying that I've had donor area shock loss, but fortunately the center and right sides have almost made a full recovery after nearly 5 months, (so that really is a waiting game as well). At this point, it's very easy to tell the difference between native hair and transplanted hair, so the transplanted shedding is what I'm referring to here.

Very worried at the moment. At 5 months and one week and There has hardly been any progress since early November. I know everyone has different growth cycles and 5 months is relatively early, but I would very much appreciate every one else's input here. It's very sparse; large areas of empty space between thick follicle; and there are a few 2-hair grafts in the hairline. I'm trying to be as patient and calm as possible, but I do think there is cause for concern here.

IMG_0217.jpg.4fe22ac7e413246525135e505929fbfe.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg.c6cf1a71c3e25ef53991847558440b87.jpg

were you applying minoxidil to the recipient area at all, daily & consistently? I wouldn't be too concerned but by the 6 month mark you should have at least 50% growth.. I know Dr. Rahal requires some post-op photos at the 6-9-and 12 month marks in order to assess your growth. I would certainly address your status with him beforehand to see f there are any physiological issues or other factors for the slow growth .. besides when you have work done at Rahal its practically a guarantee, so I'm sure he will do whatever necessary to ensure you are happy and have a successful HT

Yes I have been applying minoxidil consistently and taking generic finasteride as well. I noticed the renegenpure dr tends to make the recipient area a bit worse looking. I have spoken with Dr. Rahal over the phone and he has said that it is too early to assess. While I understand some take longer to grow than others, at 5.5 months I'd expect slightly more than this. I have to add that the multi-hair grafts in the hairline, with all due respect of course, have nothing to do with my physiology. His office has reassured me every step of the way so I'm thankful for their stellar post op care. The clinic has treated me fantastically. I want to add that I really don't have any grafts to spare (None of us really do I'm aware), but with below average donor density I am obviously concerned about the growth.

Edited by jbl2093

I agree with you 100% - and I think anyone past the 5 month mark would want to see better growth - Regenpure DR does tend to dry up the scalp and the grafts, I didn't start using it until after the 3 month mark as Rahal suggested. Try using it in conjunction with the NT shampoo which gives the hair a fuller lighter feel, I agree the DR tends to leave your hair flat. I also dont use it everyday. I alternate with a regular shampoo like JCrew or anything else. Best of luck to you and I hope you see some "stellar" growth over the next few months!

Thanks, really appreciate the support! Were you consistent with your minoxidil applications? I cut back to once a night to reduce flaking.

I see the hairs have sprouted, they just need to mature, dude you're lucky you have hair to die for already, by 12 months your hair will be matured and thick, right now they're vellus hairs with no color be patient happy growing.

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Yes, hairs have sprouted, I'm not in denial of that. But it's far from 50% of them that have sprouted. I know the difference between vellus hair and no hair. And there a very clear patches of no growth. There are other areas where one long thick hair is surrounded by nothing. I'm thankful for the native hair I do have, (though I really dislike the arguments people have on forums where norwood 6's crucify norwood 2's and 3's for mentioning their "insignificant" hair loss.) For now, my native hair let's me cover the collection of black weeds, (for lack of a better term), i have sprouting in front of my native hairline.

I'm not saying you should be happy being Norwood 2 I'm simply saying you're at 5 months, there is no one size fits all, some guys are slow growers 50% of growth at 5 months for everyone is a bunch of bull, sorry that's the way it is, you have to wait it out dude, by 10 months if it still looks like that be worried, but by 5 months it's just the beginning of growth, there's guys out there who continue growing at 18 months, so to say at 5-6 months you should be at 50% growth is not true it's different for everybody.

Well that's what I hope is going to happen. Appreciate the input though. Definitely reassuring.

Do you feel that you have more density now than before the surgery? If so by how much do you think in percentage terms?

Hard to say about density precisely at this point. I definitely suffered shock loss in the recipient area - comparing my pre-op to 2 month post photos for example. But hair is growing in the recipient. When I wet my hair back the transplanted hair does provide a sparse frame to the face. I would say at the point I definitely do have more than what I started with, but the transplanted hair does not blend at this point in areas that had no hair (contrast and spareness). (The mid-anterior and crown sections never had a problem in terms of density.)

Grab yourself one of those magnifying mirrors chicks use that you can find in a pharmacy. I'm only 3 mo in but there's hair sproutng that I def cant see in a regular mirror but can notice distinctly in the magnified one.

why not right? You also have light hair / skin. Great contrast combo for appearance but also tougher to notice new hairs as they peak.

I don't mean to sound impatient, but at the moment it does look worse than my pre-op condition. It is a lot of money to end up worse than where you started.