FUE and SMP | An Interesting Combination

Good day to everyone. Today I present for your observation and discussion a case that has come into my clinic.

FUE and SMP is a lovely combination. It allows a person to hide the minuscule, already difficult to see scars, and they are almost completely invisible even on a close crop. This not a necessary adjunct to FUE but it is a valuable one for those that wish to have the ultimate degree of cosmetic donor perfection.

This 40 years old Tunisian French man received 2800 scalp grafts for the front half of his scalp in June 2014. He then had SMP as a holdover procedure until he could return for more FUE work with me. He has now come for coverage of the midscalp.

bhatti-FUE-1.jpg

bhatti-FUE-2.jpg

bhatti-FUE-3.jpg

bhatti-FUE-4.jpg

These photos are taken right before his second procedure with me and right after the entire scalp was shaved. The effect is obvious.

zppuaj6

bhatti-FUE-SMP-2.jpg

zzw3pdo

• Administrators

Wow this what I would like to do Dr. Bhatti in your expert opinion what do you think is better SMP to the donor area or body hair? Have you ever transplanted body hair to the donor? My only reluctance in not doing this is I want to completely exhaust all donor hair before attempting this, what do you think?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 years later...

Forgive the oversight of the thread.

Mr. Melvin-HTsoon,

I believe that the approach of exhausting the donor zone first should be considered carefully. SMP is not a consistent option for all patients as, from what I understand, pigment does not always react the same. In most patients it does, but because scar tissue forms differently in different people, pigment does not always settle the same either. SMP should be looked at as a last ditch alternative but if one is considering it in their long term plan, it would make sense to have test patches performed first before the act of complete donor depletion is attempted. This way, if the SMP does not "take" the way one would hope, then they know not to push forward with the plan of exhausting all donor hair.

Mr. Wibbles80,

I do not recall and I'll have to look into the record.

Mr. Mania1,

Thank you for your observation.