FUE Worst mistake of my life! 3 1/2 - 4 months postop

Ahhhh......redness and bumps.

Yes....

I know this story very well.

My redness still exists several years later - most people don't notice until I point it out; but I of course notice it every day. And if I step out of a hot shower.... :P

Well I CAN say it has improved considerably since the initial procedure, but honestly I would not let people see my hairline for 18 months, at which point I consulted with my HT doc and said "I've waited the max time everyone suggests; now it's time for some action."

We began with some Kenalog shots which helped some. I also used scar gel for the bumpiness, and alternatively applied an OTC 1% Hydrocortisone steroid cream from CVS pharmacy. I did this off and on for months and months. Still do the Hydrocortisone occasionally and did the scar gel up until a month ago (more on that below!). I don't know how much it really helped the redness versus just time passing and it gradually improving very, very, very slowly - but yet to go away completely. And the bumpiness never really went away to my pleasing. Still, I had nothing to loose but more money, sooo..... :/

Even so, I still was not pleased with the redness or bumpiness. I have for years gone to a medical spa for botox/dysport and IPL treatments, and two months ago I asked the doctor (the medical spa doctor, not my HT doctor) about a solution for the bumpy, scarred texture as well as the redness.

She suggested a micro-need procedure for the bumpy, scarred texture. She also said that all the lasers she had in her office (IPL, Fraxel) would damage the hair follicles, but that maybe a V-Beam laser might not affect the follicles and that I should look into that since she knew several doctors in town who had a V-Beam laser. But first I went ahead and scheduled the micro-needle procedure.

So a month ago I had the micro-needle procedure for the bumpy, scarred texture with the medical spa doctor. I went ahead and purchased a full facial micro-needle procedure ($225 on special, otherwise $300) and the assistant just needled into my hairline no problem saying she would apply "extra needling" on the transplanted area since that was my primary concern and that the transplanted area would show more trauma as a result. It was essentially a painless procedure, except for a few key points on my eyebrow line where bone is close to skin.

Well first off - the micro-needle procedure: OH MY GOD!!!!! :D :D :D

SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN TEXTURE IN ONLY 1 SESSION of the transplanted area!!!!!

AND since she micro-needled my whole face: DAMN AGAIN! My skin looked as fresh as it did when I was in my late 20's/early 30's - very impressive! I've scheduled a second micro-needle session for the holidays as the results are virtually instant, though there is some redness and peeling for the first couple of days. Honestly, I hardly can see any scar or bumpy texture after the first session - not enough to notice even when pointed out. But I just loved the outcome after only 1 session, and what it did for my face I have to say I am SOLD!!!!! If it looks this good after one session, I can't wait to see if there is ANY evidence of bumpy texture or scarred, punctured pores among the hair follicles after the second session, because there is very, very, little left and not anything anyone would think was unnatural - basically it looks like regular scalp texture now, though not "quite" as smooth at my hairline as before I had the transplant - but I had a COMPLETELY SMOOTH forehead, so I am measuring against perfection. Really, it essentially looks almost perfect - and I do mean almost perfect, to a degree that if I didn't have another micro-needle procedure done I think it would be very natural looking.

I should also add that the medical spa doctor said that micor-needleing works best when applied to scarred tissue sooner than later, though to be fair my scar tissue was at least several years old and I'm ELATED with the results.

The original redness, however, has not disappeared - which the medical spa doctor had said the micro-needle would not improve the redness, so that was to be expected.

So last week based upon her advice I had a consultation with a dermatologist with a V-Beam Laser for zapping the area. I had read on the internet two doctors say that a V-Beam laser does not target hair follicles and would leave the hair follicles undamaged. Anyway the technician at the dermatologist's office looked at my hairline and said the same, that the V-beam laser targets the blood vessels but does NOT target hair follicles like other laser treatments such as IPL or Fraxel. The downside is that the technician said I would have to shave the area before treatment - I have long hair, not a pleasant thought after all i've been through, but....if it gets rid of the redness finally I'm more than willing to do it. She also said it would leave the area very bruised for a week, so that I should plan accordingly, maybe even apply some makeup. She said that my redness was light enough that it might only take one treatment (@$200), but she couldn't guarantee it, but that she thought I would have significant improvement with one treatment. So now I'm just trying to figure out a good time for me to go in and get it done.

ANYWAY, the point of all this is that there IS HOPE.

ALSO, I DO NOT AGREE with all the other posters on here saying that that the redness and bumpiness will improve and that you will be happy as a bug in rug in only 6 months. Sorry, if you have anywhere near the amount of redness or bumpy texture that I have endured and you feel like me, you will not be happy.

However, I read your post a few weeks ago when I was researching V-Beam lasers online and could certainly sympathize with you. I didn't want to write anything at that time because I wanted to see how happy I was with the micro-needle as well as first go in for a consultation at the dermatologist's office over the V-Beam laser, which I did on Tuesday of this week.

I have suffered for almost 4 years now feeling mostly unhappy with my HT results - though there are times when I look at it in a certain light and think, "Well, it doesn't look bad in this light - best it's looked in a long time," and then other hand at night I walk into the bathroom and turn on the light (a fluorescent light, which I find makes the HT look its worst) and look in the mirror and think, "Jesus F-ing Christ! Looks like S-t!!!"

I have very mixed feelings.

BUT I can honestly say that the micro-needle procedure is the first fully, almost instantly, satisfying result I've experienced in 4 years.

And now my hopes are ever raised for the V-Beam, though I DO have some trepidation about damaging hair follicles, but if what everyone has said is true, it should not be an issue - so I'll let you know after I go for it.

As for "manning up"...well, we each have to deal with things our own way. I'm not sure whose luckier - those who grow old and ugly with age, or those who die young and never know the withering pain of Age setting upon us slowly, coldly, methodical in intent to enshroud us in His cloak of death.

Yeah, I find poetry brusquely manly. ^^

Though I defer to Dylan Thomas as the master poet on the subject...Well the Welsh (and the Irish) DO know a bit about suffering.

But anyway, relax, breathe. At least give it some time before freaking out. And look into micro-needling. I don't know how long you need to wait before getting a micro-needle procedure (or V-Beam Laser for that matter), but I would think it wouldn't need to be too long if the hair follicles are essentially firmly rooted after only 10 days. But best you check with several doctors on that.

But I can say that if had known micro-needle would have improved the texture so well, I would have done it as soon as it was deemed safe. Even if it will improve on its own after a year or two, why wait? And get the full facial and feel like you're in your 20's again, then hit the gym!!!

:)

TY Harry for taking your time to write this up! Amazing job with great info.! Hearing from someone else who has lived with this 'redness/bumpiness' (or probably more accurately described in my case as a noticeable discoloration and textural abnormalities) problem for years helps give perspective to my issues.

I just can sense that after a four months of this redness/bumpiness that there is really NO way that it appears it is ever going to go completely away and resolve. Too much trauma was done to the tissue to 'fully' heal back to entirely undetectable. There will liklely always remain some trace indicator and permenant discoloration and texture irregularities to the recipient area. I defy myself to peer into a mirror without taking notice and silently reprimanding myself for what I've done. Especially after being in a hot shower like you said previously. It becomes very red after showers. I could be back up for Santas sleigh in case Rudolph can't go for any reason. LOL.

I haven't left the house without a hat, not even once. Nor will I.

I honestly doubt I will ever love this HT. Really just wanted my youth back more than anything. A FUE or any HT is a poor substitute for a fountain of youth. Now I just look 'odd' to myself. When I walk past the mirror, it's like at initial glance, I'm looking at an imposter. It's a strange feeling to try and describe to get someone to understand. My new hairline is totally unfamiliar, even when I was a younger man I did not have this low of a hairline. It just look different," not me," and it bothers me.

Which is sad because my exit strategy was a buzz down with a 1 or no guard. That's one reason I opted for the FUE. Now with that awkward unfortunate looking redness discoloration slight bumpy texture to my forehead scalp recipient area, it will make my inevitable exit strategy much more difficult and very noticeable. By the time I'm ready to buzz down and throw in the towel with regards to my hair, I doubt I may really care much about saving the follicles or damaging them I think. So V beam and micro needles all sounds like good options. Thank you very much for those suggestions.

Ultimately Im sure grow to accept this and hopefully forgive myself. But, I sincerely feel at least on some level I will remain regretful of my decision to go the HT route. Acceptance of who I am and accepting the natural aging process with dignity would have been my best option. However, I lack self confidence and was self conscious of my aging, age related hair loss, and losing my youth, losing my looks.

Lesson learned for me. I seriously doubt I will ever opt for any further augmentations of my appearance in the future.

TY Harry for taking your time to write this up! Amazing job with great info.! Hearing from someone else who has lived with this 'redness/bumpiness' (or probably more accurately described in my case as a noticeable discoloration and textural abnormalities) problem for years helps give perspective to my issues.

I just can sense that after a four months of this redness/bumpiness that there is really NO way that it appears it is ever going to go completely away and resolve. Too much trauma was done to the tissue to 'fully' heal back to entirely undetectable. There will liklely always remain some trace indicator and permenant discoloration and texture irregularities to the recipient area. I defy myself to peer into a mirror without taking notice and silently reprimanding myself for what I've done. Especially after being in a hot shower like you said previously. It becomes very red after showers. I could be back up for Santas sleigh in case Rudolph can't go for any reason. LOL.

I haven't left the house without a hat, not even once. Nor will I.

I honestly doubt I will ever love this HT. Really just wanted my youth back more than anything. A FUE or any HT is a poor substitute for a fountain of youth. Now I just look 'odd' to myself. When I walk past the mirror, it's like at initial glance, I'm looking at an imposter. It's a strange feeling to try and describe to get someone to understand. My new hairline is totally unfamiliar, even when I was a younger man I did not have this low of a hairline. It just look different," not me," and it bothers me.

Which is sad because my exit strategy was a buzz down with a 1 or no guard. That's one reason I opted for the FUE. Now with that awkward unfortunate looking redness discoloration slight bumpy texture to my forehead scalp recipient area, it will make my inevitable exit strategy much more difficult and very noticeable. By the time I'm ready to buzz down and throw in the towel with regards to my hair, I doubt I may really care much about saving the follicles or damaging them I think. So V beam and micro needles all sounds like good options. Thank you very much for those suggestions.

Ultimately Im sure grow to accept this and hopefully forgive myself. But, I sincerely feel at least on some level I will remain regretful of my decision to go the HT route. Acceptance of who I am and accepting the natural aging process with dignity would have been my best option. However, I lack self confidence and was self conscious of my aging, age related hair loss, and losing my youth, losing my looks.

Lesson learned for me. I seriously doubt I will ever opt for any further augmentations of my appearance in the future.

How goes it??

Leftygolfer.....How goes it you ask?...well...

I'm at the 4 month mark exactly.

Still do not not have anything close to resembling a socially acceptable result or look!!! It doesn't appear like it will be socially and cosmetically passable for quite some time. It sucks!

I feel like just taking a razor to it and shaving my entire head bald some days!

It's still red, discolored, and has textural visual abnormalities and irregularities to the recipient area. I just look like an odd ball and I cringe at times seeing myself in the mirror now. It's not cool. I'll try and post a pic to give everyone and idea. I still am required to wear a hat. My family wouldn't say it directly, but I'm certain they would be most embarrassed to be see with me in public without a hat on. Bottom line.....I'm still regretting it. That has not changed!

image.jpg.c62ffeb0245e6efceb1adc7663a51028.jpg

Edited by biolizard

Still do not not have anything close to resembling a socially acceptable result or look!!! It doesn't appear like it will be socially and cosmetically passable for quite some time. It sucks!

I feel like just taking a razor to it and shaving my entire head bald some days!

It's still red, discolored, and has textural visual abnormalities and irregularities to the recipient area. I just look like an odd ball and I cringe at times seeing myself in the mirror now. It's not cool. I'll try and post a pic to give everyone and idea. I still am required to wear a hat. My family wouldn't say it directly, but I'm certain they would be most embarrassed to be see with me in public without a hat on. Bottom line.....I'm still regretting it. That has not changed!

Hang in there man, things will get better.

looks about right for the 4 month mark.. the degree of redness varies from person to person. Mine is still red out of the shower. The texture in my recipient areas is still not the same as the rest of my scalp. You can see my pictures in the link in my sig.

• 2 weeks later...
looks about right for the 4 month mark.. the degree of redness varies from person to person. Mine is still red out of the shower. The texture in my recipient areas is still not the same as the rest of my scalp. You can see my pictures in the link in my sig.

Do you guys or anyone know when the discoloration, textural abnormality is supposed to go away? I mean are there any patients where the recipient just doesn't return to normal?

I'm thinking of topical steroids as my recipient is the same time frame and still abnormal. Anyone that can comment on how effective topical steroids is to help the situation?

• 1 month later...

My recipient never returned to normal even approaching the 5 year mark. The V-Beam laser treatment I had almost 1 month ago definitely helped, but there is still discoloration - the laser technician suggested it might take 3 treatments, so I'm still within her original estimation. I hope to meet with her again next week to gage the result and probably schedule another session.

Bro, why dont you just buy some Toppik and cover all that up. Problem solved.

Then when all the hair has grown out next year or so you can stop the Toppik.

And you're perfect for Toppik because you have black hair so the color should match perfectly

• 3 months later...
Any updates/progress Bio?

How about an update biolizard?

Have things improved since your 4 month post?

You should be at about 9 months now.

I hope you have turned the corner some and are happier with the transplant. Let us know

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Nearly at the 10-11 month mark post 2,000 FUE Update:

I honestly stand by my original stance. I have not had any great new revelations or changes in heart. I said it was a huge, impetuous, mid-life crisis mistake within days after the procedure. Unfortunately for me I realized my mistake too late, like a sobering splash of ice cold water, I knew instantly this was a monumental error in judgement on my part. The depression and self-loathing would follow for months and months afterwards. This will ultimately go down as one of the biggest blunders I've made in my adult life!

I wish every day I would not have done it. I am unable to take Propecia/Fin. As I continue to lose hair (which I will, it's written in your genes) I'm only going to become more and more bizarre in my appearance. I have now backed myself into a proverbial corner with this HT. Not sure how or what I'm going to do 3-8 years down the road as my hair loss continues to advance. Anyway, my advice to everyone is to do what I was unable to do at the period in my life..... That is simply accept yourself. Hair Transplants are almost NEVER the answer! For what it's worth I continue wear a ball cap still to this day nearly everywhere I go. I don't like the way the HT took. My hair is normally straight, but the recipient hair transplant hair grew in with slight somewhat unusual 'curly' look. Looks a little odd to say the least. Even if someone can't immediately tell that I've undergone a HT, I often catch people almost subconsciously doing a 'double take' look at my head when they notice the more 'curly' hair of the recipient area.

Anyway, life goes on. Peace and love to all. ✌️

image.thumb.jpeg.2fb9230e25d84dc842f3d277613adc8d.jpeg

Edited by biolizard

It would be great for you to post some recent pics so we can see just what you are talking about. Sorry to hear things turned out so bad for you!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

I don't really see the problem. Most transplants are thinner than the normal hair and the corner you've posted seems to have grown in nicely. Try styling it in a way that doesn't look like wet spikes, as it makes your entire scalp look see through and thin, which makes the transplanted area look worse, too.

You've got me tilting my head like a barn owl to look at a cropped image of what seems like just-showered hair....and I STILL think it's the best picture of your hair you've posted to date.

Take it easy on yourself, man.

I put gel in it to try and control the unnatural 'curly'ness of the recipient hair.

It is by a good margin a much more recent photo than the others I've posted.

The transplant is certainly passable now. I still cannot say I'm in love with it though. It's ok, as long as I'm not trying to go swimming in direct bright sunlight or anything.

I will say that pictures are a funny thing with HT. Can be VERY dependent on camera angle, lighting ect, I can make the same HT look different. In direct sunlight the HT looks the worst and is the most noticeable. Conversely, it looks the best fully dry with some volumizing gel and at night in a restaurant type lighting atmosphere.

To accurately evaluate a HT one really has to see it in person to appreciate the nuanced imperfections. In my opinion, no HT is perfect, I don't care how good the surgeon supposedly is.

Hey man. I'm glad you're back and feeling a bit better about yourself. From that picture, it looks good. Out of interest, what's your partners/friends opinion? Third parties are usually more objective. We tend to be our own worst critic.;)

Biolizard

Same with me, exactly what you describe, we did it in the same time and feel the same but i m more advance than u and after one year i lost all my natural hair and what is left is the ugly transplant hair as fence on my head

Just something extra happen with me, yesterday they charged me from hospital, few days back suddenly the transplant area become so inflammed, i do not know what happen, i could not sleep or eat or anything it is really like a fire inside my head, so painful, they inject me with cortizone and even after that it is still painfull,

Most of the doctors told me they cannot help me and it is so difficult case

The immune system is rejecting the hair and always attack the skin, and now i have like chronicle problem, i cannot go out, i will be fired from my work soon, cuz i cannot go out even with hat without pain , now any breez or heat or anything in outdoor trigger sever allergy or inflammation

some doctors said you should rid off the hair asap as it can develop more serious problem in the future

My life is totally ruin and now i cannot know how i can live with this pain and appearance

Sorry to hear your struggles Sam23, that sounds like a nightmare. I certainly can empathize with you. You and I both have had a pretty lousy experience with FUE hair transplants. Your case definitely sounds worse than mine though as you are further along than I am.

FUE's are not the miracle cure for baldness that the advertisers would have you believe.

Can you just Electrolysis or laser remove the hair transplanted hairs, then work on getting the skin cleared up best as possible? And just rock a shaved head?

I'm definitely not looking forward to that stupid fence of hair hairline look, as the hair behind the transplant inevitably continues to recede. I'll have to figure something out when I get to that point. I guess I can only hope that my skin integrity will heal and clean up enough that I can still shave down should i chose? Then just chalk it up as a failed life venture. Meaning I tried to manage my hair loss best I could, but ultimately I was unable to manage it, accept the outcome and accept my failure, then buzz down or shaving down becomes the only viable out for me. However the way my transplant was done I'm going to have this retarded looking 'horseshoe' shape of recipient hair to the front of my head.

As far as other complimenting me on the HT, that hasn't happened nor likely will it. It just has a odd look to it. My wife hasn't had anything kind to say about the transplant. It's like, yes there is some hair growing where there was previously no hair, but more importantly, does it look good? Then answer is a unequivocal NO. It just plain and simple doesn't look very good.

I can already see the hair behind the transplant continuing to thin up further.

Here is a pic fresh out the shower to illustrate what I'm talking about.

image.thumb.jpeg.3241168f41133c198d5bfa614a77d960.jpeg

• Administrators

I gotta be honest bio, it doesnt look bad at all, considering your hair is wet and your standing directly below a bright light, even though it looks a little thin thats a given in those circumstances, it looks really natural. I bet dry and styled with light wax and texturizer it looks awesome.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow BioLizard, I have never EVER heard so much negativity from one person in my life!!

WTF is wrong with you for god sakes?????!!!

Your hair looks great IMO!! I'm not sure what you're complaining aboot??!! Yes you have a bit of a bald spot up front, but that will even out over next 6 months or so.

Shut the hell up for god sakes. Whats wrong with you??!!!!

Bio if you are going to make strong statements you need to show proper pictures to show what you are referring to. Looking at that one picture it appears that your hair transplant is fine. I understand that you are concerned about losing native hair in the future (or you have) but you only received 2000 in a large area. Looking at your hairloss pattern you will lose a lot of the front (natural hair) unless you take meds. I am sure your doctor explained that to you. It does appear that you have a good donor.

If possible please show proper photos to what you are referring too because I have read your post and I am confused.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

honestly i can not see anything wrong with the HT, what is needed is a clear picture so we can understand all this negativity, a picture is worth more than a thousand words you write, since u paid for a HT then I assume you have a great phone with a good cam, so not posting a good pic is not sitting well with me. I hope you post a clear picture so we can support you