FUE Worst mistake of my life! 3 1/2 - 4 months postop

I'm exactly at 3 1/2 to 4 month post op. I had a 2000 graft FUE. I hate my results. Still very displeased! My dissatisfaction with the HT only seems to intensfy more and more each passing week. I'm convinced that I will remain indignant and displeased with this atrocity called FUE done to my scalp.

Im now nearly certain that this FUE was the worst mistake of my life!

I've been overall VERY dissatisfied with nearly everything about this abomination that was done to my head. Not a single day doesn't go by that I don't say to myself this was the biggest stupidest mistake of my life!

I'd kill to just have my old hair and normal scalp back.

My recipient scalp area is badly discolored scarred and reddish. The hairs that are growing in the recipient area look thin and much less dense. It's like 'yes there are some extra hairs growing in an area that was previously hairless' BUT does it look good? HELL NO! It looks bizarre the hairline was not drawn evenly the skin scalp appears permenant lay discolored and disfigured ...and frankly it looks like shit now to put it bluntly!

I really wanted desperately to have a discrete FUE HT. Now I look like an odd ball freak!!

I absolutely will NOT go anywhere without a baseball cap on my head. My life and self confidence has been crushed following this FUE HT.

The doctor free hand drew on an asymmetrical hair line. The badly discolored recipient area is EXTREMELY noticable and makes me resemble a burn victim weirdo. Plus I have very poor growth in the recipient area. I hate myself for what I have allowed to be done to me all in the name of vanity. Now I'm destined to walk the rest of my days forever regretful only to be reminded of my folly every single time I gaze into a mirror. Such an abject existence!

Before this FUE I was merely self conscious about my male pattern baldness....now I'm positively disgraced, angry, dispirited and embarrassed beyond anything I've ever experienced.

A bad HT is 1000 times worse than being bald!!! I wish I could undo the damage that was done to my me and my self image.

TLDR: it been almost 4 months. My results are terrible. I'm becoming a neurotic mess taking the fast lane to panic freak out mode! If this keeps up for the first time in my life I may have to take antidepressants.

Seriously chill out,it's not even 4 months everyone's looks like shit at this point, have you done any research, your result won't show any break change till at least 6 months normally then upto 18 months for the final out come!! Mine looked like shit at 4 months quite good at 6 and 18 months later had completely grown in and I was happy as could be with the result, so chill out mate,it's normal to worry and freak out a bit but time will tell and you could have a belter of a result

I agree with the above. This period is known as the ugly duckling stage. Your hairs will only begin to grown from now. You won't get your proper result until at least 12 months. And beyond that you will still notice improvements.

Your donor and recipient area will return to normal too. 2000 grafts should give you a big improvement.

Which Dr did you opt for?

I have seen other videos of FUE's on YouTube and such. Haven't really come across hardly anyone with a recipient area as red bumpy and discolored as mine is at 4 months out. I mean, 4 months, if the skin was going to heal back to a normal color I would think it would've done so by now? Just so discouraging to see my skin/scalp so damaged.

Since I realize I'm may not be thinking rationally at times, as I'm quite often going through these periods of anxiety, depression and unhappiness with my HT, often venting my frustrations publicly on the forums with my HT; I'm really not naming the doctor at this time. In the interested of being 'fair' to them and not wanting to impugn them, I'm going to wait at least a year for more 'final' results before I explicitly name the doctor and post a series of further photos and videos.

Hopefully things will improve like you guys said above? I'd love to chill out, and I do try, but having this purple-red discoloration highlighted on the front of my head makes everything so noticable and obvious. And I hate standing out like that!

I think I may grow the hair out a bit. Maybe that will help conceal the bumpy damages discolored skin on the recipient area. Idk? Or maybe I should just shave it down with no guard. That may lessen the noticability of the transition between native and thin recipient hair? Idk what to do or what style to wear my hair to best to handle this complication. For now though the baseball cap is my very best'est friend.

• Administrators

Biolizard can you post a pic? Maybe it's folliculitis that can be treated with antibiotic ointment. Generally by 3.5 months you should start seeing hairs sprout out. I'm also 4 months post op, my hair still looks really thin under certain light. Who was your surgeon? I think growing your hair out will definitely help, at this point just let it grow quit cutting your hair, as the hairs thicken you'll forget about it hang in there man, this is the hardest time, you're still unsure if it's a failure, but trust me 4 months is way too early.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Firstly, check in with your surgeon for some reassurance. I'm hoping you chose someone reputable and if so he/she should have no problem with a followup visit or phone call.

As others have already stated, you are in the ugly duckling phase right now. Your scalp has gone through serious trauma and it takes time for it to heal. Add to that some possible shock loss and it's going to look like a hot mess. Keep in mind too that your new hair will go through changes once it actually starts growing in. And growth doesn't happen all at once, it takes months.

Search on here for some posts by Spex. He addresses HT growth and what to expect. It will help calm your nerves.

Let your hair grow out a bit, and just BE PATIENT, my man!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

biolizard - I responded to your previous thread when you were concerned at five weeks out. I posted the photo in your album and everyone essentially assured you that you were on course. Now, doing the math in my head from looking at your threads, you are not even four months out, with your original surgery date of first or second week of August 2015 - correct?

Confirm for us your exact surgery date, because you are entering the stage where things can start to happen in weeks versus months, especially as it relates to a reduction of bumpiness and redness in the recipient area.

My gut reaction after reading yet another "doomsday" thread from you is to man the f%$k up. At just over 3 1/2 months (again, if my math is correct) I'm not certain what you expected, but in my humble, non-surgical opinion, I'm actually the one that should be pissed off, not you.

Why? Because I looked much worse than you did at the same stage in my HT. I suffered from shockloss across almost the entire frontal recipient region, whereas clearly you have not. My frontal region, completely devoid of hair due to shockloss, was more uneven than the worse gravel road in Tennessee, whereas you already have some new growth, and clearly, shockloss was much less of a reality for you at the same stage.

Take a look at the picture I've attached, where I've included your most recent picture and one I found when I was at almost the exact same stage in the HT timeline. Now you tell me who should be (or in my case, who should have been) freaking out? You want to complain about wearing a hat? At 3 1/2 months, I look like I lost a bet big time.

I urge you to view my HT experience thread and see what I went through, necrotic tissue problem and all. And then look at my most recent pictures at the end of the thread. Because I have zero doubt that you will look better than I do at that same stage in your HT based on where you are now in terms of progress.

Vories is a rock solid HT Doc, your work was clean, and you are well on your way. Will December and January suck? Most likely. Will your progress by February (or sooner) make you want to delete all of your freak out posts? I'd bet yes.

It is evident you either did not properly research or did not properly prepare mentally for the realities involved in a HT operation, the resulting healing and growth periods, etc. We get it - almost nobody really understands what it's like to stare day in and day out at your dome during the "dark" times until it happens.

The good news? In spite of your negativity and doomsday attitude, your HT is going to be one of those success stories. I'm giving you a hard time, but only because knowing what I know now, and having been through it, I've have been thrilled to have been at your progress level, which as the comparison photo shows, I clearly wasn't.

You are going to have a fantastic result, and my gut is when you post your photo again at six months - and I mean six months exactly - and then realize you are really only 50-60% done with the final result, you're going to look back at this thread you started and laugh your ass off. For clarity, in the attached picture, that's you on the left and my on the right.

comparison1.jpg.71e600b4bdca4d4034a28d0400397e6e.jpg

Biolizard,

I know you are concerned however, you are only 3 1/2 to 4 months post op. Most patients don't even see new signs of growth at this point. Especially since FUE grafts seem to begin growing in a bit later in some patients. But, it takes a full year to 18 months to see the full results of your hair transplant. At this stage, I think you are a bit premature in panicking.

I know it's hard, but try not to stress, and just wait it out. You might be real surprise at the end of the year and look back on this post and wonder why you worried so much.

Hang in there my friend,

Bill

Biolizard,

I know you are concerned however, you are only 3 1/2 to 4 months post op. Most patients don't even see new signs of growth at this point. Especially since FUE grafts seem to begin growing in a bit later in some patients. But, it takes a full year to 18 months to see the full results of your hair transplant. At this stage, I think you are a bit premature in panicking.

I know it's hard, but try not to stress, and just wait it out. You might be real surprise at the end of the year and look back on this post and wonder why you worried so much.

Hang in there my friend,

Bill

What Bill said. Not to mention, it's well known that stress can negatively impact healing time. Don't undestimate the effects worrying and stress puts on your immune system and subsequently the health of your entire body. If anything use that as incentive to relax and just trust the process. If your head is in questionable shape post pictures so the group can make an assessment.

I know I know I know. ......You guys all make super solid points. And points I need to reread from time to time.

I realize my personality and natural temperament are really NOT well suited for what in going through.

You guys are all probably right. It seems I try and keep calm and keep calm, maintain....but beneath the surface my insecurities and uncertainties are seething and boiling. Until I just hit these manic freak out 'doomsday' episodes.

I do apologize for tying up forum threads with what I'm certain is perceived as (justifably so) my whining, but mentally I am struggling with this process. I have no one to turn to that can even come close to relating to what I'm going through. I do not personally know of anyone that has had a HT.

I promise I'm not a bad guy, just struggling with insecurity and body image issue.

Here is a recent pic for those who asked.

image.jpg.2c6d7ae81d16ff0c7fe2114b6116c151.jpg

I know I know I know. ......You guys all make super solid points. And points I need to reread from time to time.

I realize my personality and natural temperament are really NOT well suited for what in going through.

You guys are all probably right. It seems I try and keep calm and keep calm, maintain....but beneath the surface my insecurities and uncertainties are seething and boiling. Until I just hit these manic freak out 'doomsday' episodes.

I do apologize for tying up forum threads with what I'm certain is perceived as (justifably so) my whining, but mentally I am struggling with this process. I have no one to turn to that can even come close to relating to what I'm going through. I do not personally know of anyone that has had a HT.

I promise I'm not a bad guy, just struggling with insecurity and body image issue.

Look amazing for such a short period of time!

You are looking pretty damn good for 4 months... The outline of your new hairline is looking solid. Now you making me question my results at 3 1/2 months. Haha

• Administrators

I've reviewed your picture, definitely not folliculitis like I suspected, honestly I don't see anything wrong, the redness might be irritation from continuing to buzz your head with clippers, I recommend just letting your hair grow, I see growth beginning already, nothing to be worried about, far from the disfigured monster you described.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Honestly I noticed that clinics just loooooove to downplay the post op redness. Before the surgery they all say it's a matter of weeks. Then after the surgery "oh well might that a few months..."

However the few months of suffering and seclusion will be worth it if you get a good result.

No need to panic...I had zero growth at 4 months (see below)...at 6 months it started filling in but now I'm at 7 months and have had tremendous progress in just the past month with lots more to go. With a tad of patience (I know it's hard!), I think you'll look back at 12 months and laugh when you realize you barely started growing at 4 months! Hang in there!

20151011_223633000_iOS.jpg.ba3c2924e0b5ee31fe192458437c6754.jpg

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Ahhhh......redness and bumps.

Yes....

I know this story very well.

My redness still exists several years later - most people don't notice until I point it out; but I of course notice it every day. And if I step out of a hot shower.... :P

Well I CAN say it has improved considerably since the initial procedure, but honestly I would not let people see my hairline for 18 months, at which point I consulted with my HT doc and said "I've waited the max time everyone suggests; now it's time for some action."

We began with some Kenalog shots which helped some. I also used scar gel for the bumpiness, and alternatively applied an OTC 1% Hydrocortisone steroid cream from CVS pharmacy. I did this off and on for months and months. Still do the Hydrocortisone occasionally and did the scar gel up until a month ago (more on that below!). I don't know how much it really helped the redness versus just time passing and it gradually improving very, very, very slowly - but yet to go away completely. And the bumpiness never really went away to my pleasing. Still, I had nothing to loose but more money, sooo..... :/

Even so, I still was not pleased with the redness or bumpiness. I have for years gone to a medical spa for botox/dysport and IPL treatments, and two months ago I asked the doctor (the medical spa doctor, not my HT doctor) about a solution for the bumpy, scarred texture as well as the redness.

She suggested a micro-need procedure for the bumpy, scarred texture. She also said that all the lasers she had in her office (IPL, Fraxel) would damage the hair follicles, but that maybe a V-Beam laser might not affect the follicles and that I should look into that since she knew several doctors in town who had a V-Beam laser. But first I went ahead and scheduled the micro-needle procedure.

So a month ago I had the micro-needle procedure for the bumpy, scarred texture with the medical spa doctor. I went ahead and purchased a full facial micro-needle procedure ($225 on special, otherwise $300) and the assistant just needled into my hairline no problem saying she would apply "extra needling" on the transplanted area since that was my primary concern and that the transplanted area would show more trauma as a result. It was essentially a painless procedure, except for a few key points on my eyebrow line where bone is close to skin.

Well first off - the micro-needle procedure: OH MY GOD!!!!! :D :D :D

SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN TEXTURE IN ONLY 1 SESSION of the transplanted area!!!!!

AND since she micro-needled my whole face: DAMN AGAIN! My skin looked as fresh as it did when I was in my late 20's/early 30's - very impressive! I've scheduled a second micro-needle session for the holidays as the results are virtually instant, though there is some redness and peeling for the first couple of days. Honestly, I hardly can see any scar or bumpy texture after the first session - not enough to notice even when pointed out. But I just loved the outcome after only 1 session, and what it did for my face I have to say I am SOLD!!!!! If it looks this good after one session, I can't wait to see if there is ANY evidence of bumpy texture or scarred, punctured pores among the hair follicles after the second session, because there is very, very, little left and not anything anyone would think was unnatural - basically it looks like regular scalp texture now, though not "quite" as smooth at my hairline as before I had the transplant - but I had a COMPLETELY SMOOTH forehead, so I am measuring against perfection. Really, it essentially looks almost perfect - and I do mean almost perfect, to a degree that if I didn't have another micro-needle procedure done I think it would be very natural looking.

I should also add that the medical spa doctor said that micor-needleing works best when applied to scarred tissue sooner than later, though to be fair my scar tissue was at least several years old and I'm ELATED with the results.

The original redness, however, has not disappeared - which the medical spa doctor had said the micro-needle would not improve the redness, so that was to be expected.

So last week based upon her advice I had a consultation with a dermatologist with a V-Beam Laser for zapping the area. I had read on the internet two doctors say that a V-Beam laser does not target hair follicles and would leave the hair follicles undamaged. Anyway the technician at the dermatologist's office looked at my hairline and said the same, that the V-beam laser targets the blood vessels but does NOT target hair follicles like other laser treatments such as IPL or Fraxel. The downside is that the technician said I would have to shave the area before treatment - I have long hair, not a pleasant thought after all i've been through, but....if it gets rid of the redness finally I'm more than willing to do it. She also said it would leave the area very bruised for a week, so that I should plan accordingly, maybe even apply some makeup. She said that my redness was light enough that it might only take one treatment (@$200), but she couldn't guarantee it, but that she thought I would have significant improvement with one treatment. So now I'm just trying to figure out a good time for me to go in and get it done.

ANYWAY, the point of all this is that there IS HOPE.

ALSO, I DO NOT AGREE with all the other posters on here saying that that the redness and bumpiness will improve and that you will be happy as a bug in rug in only 6 months. Sorry, if you have anywhere near the amount of redness or bumpy texture that I have endured and you feel like me, you will not be happy.

However, I read your post a few weeks ago when I was researching V-Beam lasers online and could certainly sympathize with you. I didn't want to write anything at that time because I wanted to see how happy I was with the micro-needle as well as first go in for a consultation at the dermatologist's office over the V-Beam laser, which I did on Tuesday of this week.

I have suffered for almost 4 years now feeling mostly unhappy with my HT results - though there are times when I look at it in a certain light and think, "Well, it doesn't look bad in this light - best it's looked in a long time," and then other hand at night I walk into the bathroom and turn on the light (a fluorescent light, which I find makes the HT look its worst) and look in the mirror and think, "Jesus F-ing Christ! Looks like S-t!!!"

I have very mixed feelings.

BUT I can honestly say that the micro-needle procedure is the first fully, almost instantly, satisfying result I've experienced in 4 years.

And now my hopes are ever raised for the V-Beam, though I DO have some trepidation about damaging hair follicles, but if what everyone has said is true, it should not be an issue - so I'll let you know after I go for it.

As for "manning up"...well, we each have to deal with things our own way. I'm not sure whose luckier - those who grow old and ugly with age, or those who die young and never know the withering pain of Age setting upon us slowly, coldly, methodical in intent to enshroud us in His cloak of death.

Yeah, I find poetry brusquely manly. ^^

Though I defer to Dylan Thomas as the master poet on the subject...Well the Welsh (and the Irish) DO know a bit about suffering.

But anyway, relax, breathe. At least give it some time before freaking out. And look into micro-needling. I don't know how long you need to wait before getting a micro-needle procedure (or V-Beam Laser for that matter), but I would think it wouldn't need to be too long if the hair follicles are essentially firmly rooted after only 10 days. But best you check with several doctors on that.

But I can say that if had known micro-needle would have improved the texture so well, I would have done it as soon as it was deemed safe. Even if it will improve on its own after a year or two, why wait? And get the full facial and feel like you're in your 20's again, then hit the gym!!!

:)

• Like 1

Ahhhh......redness and bumps.

Yes....

I know this story very well.

My redness still exists several years later - most people don't notice until I point it out; but I of course notice it every day. And if I step out of a hot shower.... :P

:)

Interesting because your pictures (Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos) look great. Do you have fair skin? I heard that takes longer but never heard it to be years.

I have fair skin and your post gives me good feedback on the post op challenges if I decide to do my first HT.

Yes, I have fair skin.

My expectation for a hair transplant I think was uninformed at best.

My photos don't really capture the redness and certainly don't capture the bumps. I tried very hard to capture the bumps in the pictures, but it was very difficult - of course that was with an iPhone that only had a standard camera, not HD, at the time (iPhone 3).

Both the medical spa doctor and the V-Beam laser technician in the dermatologist's office said that the area is not red from irritation (which is what I assumed) but rather because the surgery broke capillaries (or something to that end) and the redness was the result of these capillaries/blood vessels. The technician said that she has V-Beamed along the scars of persons who have had face lifts, and that along the edge of the scars there appeared new little visible red blood vessels like the kind you get on your nose as you age but that the V-Beam eliminated them.

I just want the redness to go away. Then I can better evaluate the HT itself and how to improve on it.

The biggest limit to a hair transplant along the hair line, I believe now after having done it, is trying to get soft, lighter hairs in the front like are naturally there. I am greatly bothered by the dark hairs in front of my lighter hairline - just looks bizarre I think. Also several doubles and triples in the hairline that do not look natural either, but that I will target with electrolysis once I get the redness to go away. Of course that may leave a "hole" in a couple of places, but...eh...I'm sick of dealing with it all anyway. I just want it to look natural and not molested.