Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson

I had my first HT in 2010 with Dr. Feller (I used to live in Pennsylvania back then) and I am now on the verge of getting my second HT done (I live in SF bay area now). This time, I plan on getting

- hairline fixed and add some density if possible

- fill in my crown (I have a bald spot of around 3-inch diameter on my crown)

- add density to the mid section

I have shortlisted Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson (Dr. Victor Hasson?) for my second HT and looking for a ~3000-4000+ grafts HT if possible. I have some administrative hassles like getting a Canadian Visa and renewing my US Visa in Canada (I am living in the US on a work permit) but don't want these secondary hassles to keep me off from choosing the best doc.

I am leaning towards Dr. Hasson but wanted to know your suggestions for either doc. I know both the docs are top notch (based on my research/seeing their results) but wanted to hear opinions from you guys based on my HT requirements.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Considering Dr. Ron Shapiro too for the HT. Any opinions/feedback regarding his work is welcome.

Edited by refusetogobald

I had my first HT in 2010 with Dr. Feller (I used to live in Pennsylvania back then) and I am now on the verge of getting my second HT done (I live in SF bay area now). This time, I plan on getting

- hairline fixed and add some density if possible

- fill in my crown (I have a bald spot of around 3-inch diameter on my crown)

- add density to the mid section

I have shortlisted Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson (Dr. Victor Hasson?) for my second HT and looking for a ~3000-4000+ grafts HT if possible. I have some administrative hassles like getting a Canadian Visa and renewing my US Visa in Canada (I am living in the US on a work permit) but don't want these secondary hassles to keep me off from choosing the best doc.

I am leaning towards Dr. Hasson but wanted to know your suggestions for either doc. I know both the docs are top notch (based on my research/seeing their results) but wanted to hear opinions from you guys based on my HT requirements.

Thanks in advance!

I would go with Hasson in your case as Hasson is the master in getting the most number of grafts in one pass, and it seems like that's what you are looking for to cover all those areas. Hasson is also much better known for his crown work than Rahal. When it comes to hairlines, Rahal is the master, but that doesn't mean Hasson can't address yours. If you were just working on the hairline I would suggest Rahal, but for overall coverage Hasson is your man. In a perfect world one would have Dr Wong do the crown, Dr Rahal the hairline, and Dr Hasson the rest.

Thanks stig for the recommendation. And yes, I am looking to get the most number of grafts in one session. I have seen some hairline work by H&W clinic and I was impressed.

But I do agree that whatever hairline results I have seen from Dr. Rahal are perfect and top notch though.

Thanks stig for the recommendation. And yes, I am looking to get the most number of grafts in one session. I have seen some hairline work by H&W clinic and I was impressed.

But I do agree that whatever hairline results I have seen from Dr. Rahal are perfect and top notch though.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hasson's hairlines, you are dealing with one of the best if not the best HT surgeon in the world. Seeing this is also your 2nd procedure, you will need someone with the ability to blend the new hairs in with the existing ones and the ones from the 1st procedure, esp if your 1st procedure wasn't great. Don't underplay the skills needed, so you are on the right track going with someone like Hasson.

Agree with Stig. I also suggest you fly to Vancuover and Ottawa to meet with them both in person, and ask them to evaluate your donor and how much they think they get in a pass. I suspect Hasson can get you the most grafts. Also, by meeting with both, you can assess which one resunates the most with you. Sounds like Hasson is your man though, but you can probably toss a coin and get a stellar result with either surgeon. Dr Hasson is a bad man

Both doctors are outstanding in my opinion. I remember when I was considering the same two doctors for my third hair transplant. At the end of the day, both physicians can harvest large number of follicular units in a single session when appropriate for the patient with excellent results. I recommend looking at results from each doctor and talking to patients who have been to both doctors and then making a decision after consulting with both of them. At least you can rest assured knowing that you are deciding between two excellent doctors so no matter which one you choose, you will be in excellent hands

Best wishes,

Bill

After doing some more research, I found that Dr. Ron Shapiro also delivers excellent and consistent results and his results seem comparable to Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson. Do you guys agree? Should I also consider Dr. Ron Shapiro for my HT along with Rahal and Hasson? Are these 3 surgeons comparable in terms of hairlines, dense packing and crown work? Or is it that Dr. Hasson and Rahal are in a totally different league?

I was speechless after looking at SunnyCool3's results here (whose work is done by Dr. Ron Shapiro): http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177161-4023-grafts-fut-dr-ron-shapiro-smg-oct-20th-2014-a-23.html. I totally understand that HT results vary a lot from person to person. But looking at his pictures, I feel that my baldness pattern and hair characteristics are somewhat similar.

Dr. Ron is one of the best in the world. I'm only 6 weeks out after 2500 FUT with him, so can only comment on pre-op and immediate-post-op-too early to know of results. But I have nothing but tremendous things to say so far. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

After doing some more research, I found that Dr. Ron Shapiro also delivers excellent and consistent results and his results seem comparable to Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson. Do you guys agree? Should I also consider Dr. Ron Shapiro for my HT along with Rahal and Hasson? Are these 3 surgeons comparable in terms of hairlines, dense packing and crown work? Or is it that Dr. Hasson and Rahal are in a totally different league?

I was speechless after looking at SunnyCool3's results here (whose work is done by Dr. Ron Shapiro): http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177161-4023-grafts-fut-dr-ron-shapiro-smg-oct-20th-2014-a-23.html. I totally understand that HT results vary a lot from person to person. But looking at his pictures, I feel that my baldness pattern and hair characteristics are somewhat similar.

Yup - Shapiro, Hasson, and Rahal are my top 3 and where I landed for my 2nd procedure. It's very tough choosing between those 3. Shapiro is also known for his hairlines, but they tend to be more conservative/mature than Rahal's. Shapiro and Rahal may not be able to grab as many grafts as Hasson can though. It's tough chosing amongst those 3

mav23100gunther,

Just had an online consultation with H&W clinic. They told me that I should expect 2500-3000 grafts as this is my second HT (they said this is also the average that people get for their 2nd HT). Is this a fact for 2nd time HT patients? Mike (their rep) mentioned that 2500-3000 is the average and that number varies by person to person but also told me that I should not probably go in the surgery with a mindset of ~5000 grafts.

mav23100gunther,

Just had an online consultation with H&W clinic. They told me that I should expect 2500-3000 grafts as this is my second HT (they said this is also the average that people get for their 2nd HT). Is this a fact for 2nd time HT patients? Mike (their rep) mentioned that 2500-3000 is the average and that number varies by person to person but also told me that I should not probably go in the surgery with a mindset of ~5000 grafts.

Sounds about right mate. The 4,000 + grafts cases are mainly virgin scalps, especially seeing 6,000 lifetime grafts is the average. You may be more or you may be on the lower side, you will only really know for sure how many grafts the doc can get when he examines you in person. However, if anyone can get the max grafts for you, it's Hasson.

Mav is right patients getting over 4000 are generally virgin scalps what we cannot tell is what your laxity is like from photos alone. You have got a donor scar and that needs to be removed so will impact the number of grafts that are available in the second session so 2500-3000 would we about right assuming average laxity.

If you loosen your scalp for two months then that number could increase.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson