Opinions on the following docs

NewHare

Hi all,

I'm in my late 50's and would like to do some corrective work (old style plugs) as well as fill in what I've lost since my last procedure. I'd like to start in my home area of NY but will not limit myself there if necessary. Could you please comment on the following Drs I found on the Coalition listing.

Drs Bernstein, Beehner, Dorin, Feller & True. The good, the not so good and everything in between.

Thank you

I can only comment on Dr Benrstein.

I met with him and really enjoyed my visit. He has a non nonsense kind of personality and I like that.

I ended up going with Dr. Rahal because I wanted more grafts, but I think Dr. Bernstein would have been a good choice as well.

I think Bernstein would be a great fit for you. He's very conservative and tends to do extremely well with patients who are 50+ and have less exotic/glamorous expectations than younger ones. He has a reputation for being extremely realistic and detail-oriented, so if you're looking for some repair/fill-in in an age-appropriate way, I think he'd be a great choice. I've also seen some very good work from Beehner of the sort you're looking for.

I think Bernstein would be a great fit for you. He's very conservative and tends to do extremely well with patients who are 50+ and have less exotic/glamorous expectations than younger ones. He has a reputation for being extremely realistic and detail-oriented, so if you're looking for some repair/fill-in in an age-appropriate way, I think he'd be a great choice. I've also seen some very good work from Beehner of the sort you're looking for.

Agreed with all above. Met with him 5 times over 3 year. Absolutely no BS. Will not tell you what you want to hear. Will not patronize you. Will make you feel stupid at times but thats just his dry humor. He's a super ethical and intelligent guy. If you speak to many of the doctors out there, many of them were initially trained by Dr. B. His work is definitely focused toward the 40+ crowd.

Feller is super solid. Don't know much about the other guys. Good luck!

Do not go with the NY surgeons, there are way better surgeons out there if you are prepared to travel. If you must stay in NY, then Feller & Wesley should be your only two options. They are solid. Dr Bernstein is not value for money. He charges $9 a graft for FUT when better clinics out there charge $5 per graft like H&W. If Dr B was the best in the world, then he can justify that, but guys like Konior, Ron Shapiro, Hasson are better & more consistent surgeons at half the price. These are facts. I completely disagree with the advice being provided to you up above. Be prepared to travel and you will get better results and save dollars.

Do not go with the NY surgeons, there are way better surgeons out there if you are prepared to travel. If you must stay in NY, then Feller & Wesley should be your only two options. They are solid. Dr Bernstein is not value for money. He charges $9 a graft for FUT when better clinics out there charge $5 per graft like H&W. If Dr B was the best in the world, then he can justify that, but guys like Konior, Ron Shapiro, Hasson are better & more consistent surgeons at half the price. These are facts. I completely disagree with the advice being provided to you up above. Be prepared to travel and you will get better results and save dollars.

Well, to be fair, he asked for comments "on the following doctors," so that's the advice I gave him. It's for him to judge whether the prices are worth the results, so I just limited myself to commenting on the surgeon-patient fit from the list he cited. And I stand by my advice that, of those, Bernstein would do very good work for this particular patient's needs and expectations. If travel options are opened up, though, I might recommend differently.

Edited by win200

Stig,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion however, stating that none of the doctors we recommend in New York or worth going to significantly undermines the work that we do in recommending only the best surgeons. All of the surgeons that are listed above have met our high standard for coalition membership and as a result, have a proven track record of performing large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplant surgery with excellent results.

What is the problem you have with the doctors above? In reading many of your other posts, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and support most of the work that we do. So I'm quite surprised at the statement above.

Best wishes,

Bill

I also live in the NY/NJ area and had an in-person consultation with Dr. Feller. I think he's an excellent surgeon if you're looking to stay local. I also did online consults with Rahal, Hasson & Wong, Dr. Konior, and Shapiro Medical. To me, any of these doctors would have done excellent work. I chose to consult with them because of my research and their consistent, excellent results. I would not limit your decision based on geography. Have multiple consultations with your short list of doctors. See their analysis and how they want to tackle your individual situation. I think once you get comfortable evaluating all the plans, you will be in a better position to make a decision. I personally chose Rahal. It was well worth the short trip up to Ottawa for me.

NewHare,

I've had a consultation with each of the following New York docs who are recommended or coalition physicians here. Based on their body of work, reputations, and my consultations, I think you wouldn't go wrong with any of them for the kind of work you're looking for:

Dr. True

Dr. Dorin (True's partner)

Dr. Wesley

Dr. Feller

I haven't met Drs. Bernstein or Beehner but lefty and esrec both give Dr. Bernstein high marks. I think it's fair to say that Drs. Bernstein and Beehner both in the more cautious/conservative camp when it comes to graft counts per session, which might suit you well. Definitely look at the portfolios of patient results for each of these docs, here and on their web sites, as each has a bit different approach and aesthetic.

I would readily trust any of these NY docs with repair of old plug work, either via punching out the plug grafts and dissecting them and repurposing them or via camouflaging them with new follicular units, or both.

Good luck!

Well, to be fair, he asked for comments "on the following doctors," so that's the advice I gave him. It's for him to judge whether the prices are worth the results, so I just limited myself to commenting on the surgeon-patient fit from the list he cited. And I stand by my advice that, of those, Bernstein would do very good work for this particular patient's needs and expectations. If travel options are opened up, though, I might recommend differently.

Same motivation for my opinions. Dr. B does lots of work with middle-aged crowd. Of course, I live in NY and ultimately bypassed the group for Shapiro. Once I see some results I'll more aggressively push for my guy. Just a personal preference.

Hi NewHare,

I've had 3 strips with Dr. Feller and a mFUE with Dr. Bloxham (Dr. Feller's partner/protege). From my experiences they are both extremely meticulous and gifted at what they do. It's a very well-run clinic with an amazing team of techs who have been with them for at least 8 years.

Keep us in the loop and let us know how it works out.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Stig,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion however, stating that none of the doctors we recommend in New York or worth going to significantly undermines the work that we do in recommending only the best surgeons. All of the surgeons that are listed above have met our high standard for coalition membership and as a result, have a proven track record of performing large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplant surgery with excellent results.

What is the problem you have with the doctors above? In reading many of your other posts, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and support most of the work that we do. So I'm quite surprised at the statement above.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill,

No disrespect at all to the work you do here, and your forum has helped me immensly. I also don't dispute your high standards for recommended surgeons. This is just my own opinion based on my own experience and research. I'm more than happy to add the disclaimer when I make these types of statements. I have consulted with all of the recommended surgeons and don't dispute that they are not highly competent and produce solid results, therefore can understand why they are recommended by the site (and don't take exception to the recommendations). However, I myself have seen a select few surgeons that have raised the bar and seem (to me) to be producing consistently more knock-out wow factor high quality results. I know at some point I should probably post pics to add credibility (however I respect my 1st surgeon), but I myself had a procedure with a recommended surgeon who in my opinion produced a very good result, but for my subseequent procedure, I researched more, and identified these elite even better surgeons, some of which have already been critical of the work produced by the 1st surgeon. Once again, he did a good job in my opinion, but I also know that if I had gone with one of the elite surgeons, the result would probably have been even better. That all I am trying to convey to these posters, and I wish when I was researching my 1st procedure, more posters would have advised me to keep looking for the even better elite surgeons that I subsequently identified. You yourself had a procedure with Dr True, a recommended surgeon, but then switched to Dr Hasson for your next ones. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I can only assume its because you felt Dr Hasson could do a better job for you than Dr True, even though Dr True remains highly competent. Thats really all I am trying to say here, there are a handful of surgeons on your list that are consistently producing more top quality results than others. Once again, my own opinion.

Thank you all for your input. I certainly appreciate it and will take it all into account in my search.

This forum by the way is a great resource. I only wish I had something like this back in the late 80's when I had my first procedures done.

So far I am very impressed by the repair/plug removal work of Drs Bernstein and Beehner. Dr Beehner in particular seems to do quite a bit of plug removal. Dr Feller's work is also very impressive as well though I haven't found any plug removal cases of his as of yet. I did though find cases whereas he places fu's in between to great effect.

NewHare,

Planting in-between larger grafts can be effective with mini-grafts but I'm not so sure with old-style plugs. I'm guessing those would make more sense to remove and redistribute. But that's certainly a better question for the HT docs.

When I was researching HT docs, I started with a list of 5 whose work I really liked, whittled it down to my top three, and had consultations with each of them.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

NewHare,

Planting in-between larger grafts can be effective with mini-grafts but I'm not so sure with old-style plugs. I'm guessing those would make more sense to remove and redistribute.

Yes I agree Hairthere. I believe removal and redistribution would be the better approach, though as you said that's a good question for the docs.

• 1 month later...
Hi Bill,

No disrespect at all to the work you do here, and your forum has helped me immensly. I also don't dispute your high standards for recommended surgeons. This is just my own opinion based on my own experience and research. I'm more than happy to add the disclaimer when I make these types of statements. I have consulted with all of the recommended surgeons and don't dispute that they are not highly competent and produce solid results, therefore can understand why they are recommended by the site (and don't take exception to the recommendations). However, I myself have seen a select few surgeons that have raised the bar and seem (to me) to be producing consistently more knock-out wow factor high quality results. I know at some point I should probably post pics to add credibility (however I respect my 1st surgeon), but I myself had a procedure with a recommended surgeon who in my opinion produced a very good result, but for my subseequent procedure, I researched more, and identified these elite even better surgeons, some of which have already been critical of the work produced by the 1st surgeon. Once again, he did a good job in my opinion, but I also know that if I had gone with one of the elite surgeons, the result would probably have been even better. That all I am trying to convey to these posters, and I wish when I was researching my 1st procedure, more posters would have advised me to keep looking for the even better elite surgeons that I subsequently identified. You yourself had a procedure with Dr True, a recommended surgeon, but then switched to Dr Hasson for your next ones. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I can only assume its because you felt Dr Hasson could do a better job for you than Dr True, even though Dr True remains highly competent. Thats really all I am trying to say here, there are a handful of surgeons on your list that are consistently producing more top quality results than others. Once again, my own opinion.

Hi Stig,

Could you tell me who these elite doctors are please?

Hi Stig,

Could you tell me who these elite doctors are please?

Sure:

FUT - Hasson, Ron Shapiro, Rahal. Feriduni, Konior

FUE - Feriduni, Lorenzo, Erdogan

Stick to the above and you will be golden

Sure:

FUT - Hasson, Ron Shapiro, Rahal. Feriduni, Konior

FUE - Feriduni, Lorenzo, Erdogan

Stick to the above and you will be golden

Super solid list, and I wouldn't have many quibbles. I'm really, really impressed with Jerry Cooley's work, although he doesn't have the same online presence as these names. Rahal's FUE results have been really stellar in the last year or two.