Rain is no longer my biggest fear

Hi guys

I had the misfortune to begin losing my hair from the rear, which meant that I had the pleasure of being informed about my MPB. That was way back in 1999 when I was 25 years old. I can't say I took it very well, and spent the next few years checking the patch with a vanity mirror about 20-30 times a day.

I was hardly the most IT savvy of people in those days and knew nothing about the internet, so it never occurred to me that there might be things I could do to slow down the process.

By the time I did find out about Minox and Fin in 2004 I had a pretty obvious tonsure developing, though the hair at the front of my head remained intact.

I then discovered Toppik in 2007 or thereabouts from another website and overnight my life changed. For the first few weeks I noticed the puzzled looks on my colleagues faces and even caught one on his tiptoes behind me trying to see what I'd done to my patch.

I'm fairly sure they all thought I'd had a transplant, but no-one was open enough to quiz me on the subject.

Thank god because I've got no idea what I'd have replied.

Anyway, once I began to live the lie, so to speak it was hard to break out of the cycle. Wind and rain became my sworn enemies and I'd flinch violently if anyone went anywhere near my hair.

Still, I managed to avoid any humiliating experiences for several years. Then in 2012 without any warning my employer changed the nature of my role at work, which meant I'd be spending a large amount of time outdoors.

This made things a little awkward as anyone who's used microfibres will tell you, so I added Dermatch to my regimen. Luckily this seemed to hold up pretty well against rain, but I was still terrified of anyone looking closely at the rear of my head. I'd go so far as to say it became my worst nightmare.

By 2015 my patch was pretty much a slick and I was wearing my hair at a grade 1 buzz cut, with topical shading all over my head. I walked sideways whenever anyone was anywhere near me, wouldn't answer my own door or go in my own garden without a hat on, and spent hours each day removing and re-attempting to blend a natural colour to the skin on the rear of my head.

The final straw was when I realised I was even hiding my head from my 2 year old son, who may or may not have noticed that daddy sometimes looked different at the back.

I was too much of a coward to just out myself as being bald, even though most people probably knew anyway. So I opted for SMP at a clinic that just opened near my home. They were doing some pretty good deals, franchised from Milena Lardi and I thought "why not?"

It's been six months and I relaised the other day that I haven't checked with vanity the mirror for the last two months. This from a man who has spent literally years of his life wasted there.

I'm not even sure if I'll get a top up now. I love the results, but the most important thing to me now is that I'm not worried about answering the door to a neighbour or going in my garden.

Cool story man. I'm sure you're in great company here with many of us who have experienced that obsessive vanity mirror check routine. When my hairline started receding, I would examine it in the mirror sometimes until it made my physically sick at my stomach. This was before I knew about forums like these, potential solutions, medications, hair transplants, etc. - so I just imagined the worst case scenario.

Great to see that you found a solution with SMP. I love that there's a very viable alternative solution for guys who aren't interested/may not be candidates for a hair transplant.

Happy gardening. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2015 at 5:43 PM, Nocureforbaldness said:

Hi guys

I had the misfortune to begin losing my hair from the rear, which meant that I had the pleasure of being informed about my MPB. That was way back in 1999 when I was 25 years old. I can't say I took it very well, and spent the next few years checking the patch with a vanity mirror about 20-30 times a day.

I was hardly the most IT savvy of people in those days and knew nothing about the internet, so it never occurred to me that there might be things I could do to slow down the process.

By the time I did find out about Minox and Fin in 2004 I had a pretty obvious tonsure developing, though the hair at the front of my head remained intact.

I then discovered Toppik in 2007 or thereabouts from another website and overnight my life changed. For the first few weeks I noticed the puzzled looks on my colleagues faces and even caught one on his tiptoes behind me trying to see what I'd done to my patch.

I'm fairly sure they all thought I'd had a transplant, but no-one was open enough to quiz me on the subject.

Thank god because I've got no idea what I'd have replied.

Anyway, once I began to live the lie, so to speak it was hard to break out of the cycle. Wind and rain became my sworn enemies and I'd flinch violently if anyone went anywhere near my hair.

Still, I managed to avoid any humiliating experiences for several years. Then in 2012 without any warning my employer changed the nature of my role at work, which meant I'd be spending a large amount of time outdoors.

This made things a little awkward as anyone who's used microfibres will tell you, so I added Dermatch to my regimen. Luckily this seemed to hold up pretty well against rain, but I was still terrified of anyone looking closely at the rear of my head. I'd go so far as to say it became my worst nightmare.

By 2015 my patch was pretty much a slick and I was wearing my hair at a grade 1 buzz cut, with topical shading all over my head. I walked sideways whenever anyone was anywhere near me, wouldn't answer my own door or go in my own garden without a hat on, and spent hours each day removing and re-attempting to blend a natural colour to the skin on the rear of my head.

The final straw was when I realised I was even hiding my head from my 2 year old son, who may or may not have noticed that daddy sometimes looked different at the back.

I was too much of a coward to just out myself as being bald, even though most people probably knew anyway. So I opted for SMP at a clinic that just opened near my home. They were doing some pretty good deals, franchised from Milena Lardi and I thought "why not?"

It's been six months and I relaised the other day that I haven't checked with vanity the mirror for the last two months. This from a man who has spent literally years of his life wasted there.

I'm not even sure if I'll get a top up now. I love the results, but the most important thing to me now is that I'm not worried about answering the door to a neighbour or going in my garden.

Why won't you get a top-up?