FUT thick Scar tissue

Dear Members,

I had an FUT almost 2 years ago and the scar is still thicker than the skin of the back of my head. I was just wondering..will it ever be the same thickness like normal skin? Is it fine to do FUE in that thick scar tissue line?

Thanks

Hi hyperhair. It is unlikely the scar will improve at this time. Your doctor may recommend cortisone injections to help flatten it and then FUE into it will help usually to camouflage the scar and bring back vascularity and also improve the appearance.

If you can put some photos then you will probably be able to get more specific feedback.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Thanks Sl for the quick reply. Well I don't shave my head to hide it so Im not sure if this pic will help but all I can tell you is that 70-80% of the scar is thicker than the skin on the back of my head and it even got wider at the two wide edges 2-3 months after the operation. I went for another scar closure, it went fine for 3 months then it became worse as the pic shows. What will happen if I FUE this thick tissue at this stage?

Scar.jpg.c85a1019958ce2dd0840099f105324d8.jpg

Scars can stretch in the early months post surgery as yours seemingly did also.

FUE into the scar will help it but would be at a low density of 30 FU per cm2 usually. Hard to see from the photo the condition of it but may be wise to see a doctor or dermatologist locally and see if it can be helped with injections if raised up and go from there or see what your HT doctor recommends if he has seen you in person.

Usually if you have stretched twice then placing into the scar is probably the safer option to break it up and avoid a revision that can stretch again.

One pass may be enough if the hair is kept long or you may need another pass to get to the density you want in the scar but it is a slow approach due to the nature of scar tissue and challenges there for growth,

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network