Problems with using FIN

srm73

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum as I have joined a few days ago. First of all, I would like to know what Hair loss category I fall into? My front, top and crown photos can be viewed. I am 42 now. According to my HT doc, I am NW 3A-5A. My hair loss has been really slow over the years but in the last year or so, I started seeing loss to an extent where I can call myself (Balding). That was the time when I started looking into my options. After quite a bit of research, I finally made my decision to get an HT in the front, and start using Rogaine for the top and crown. As of now, its been almost 3 months since my FUT and have been using Rogaine and FIN since I would say early to mid of may 2015. My journey has been a roller coaster so far with FIN. After using it for a month, I experienced the main side effect it has. I freaked out to be honest as I never experienced anything like this my entire life. I immediately stopped it but continued with Rogaine. At my suture removal day 2 weeks after my HT, I discussed my issue with my HT Doc. He said its always better to use FIN with rogaine for best results and suggested I give it a try after being off it for a little while. He said he has seen many people that re-started it after a break and were side effect free. I also discussed this with my family Doc and he suggested to stay off it as my sex life is more important than hair. I decided to take my HT doc advice and re-started it after about 3 weeks or so to see what happens. To my surprise, I was side effect free. I felt so happy that I will finally be on my way to a full head of hair. I was ok for about 2 months or so or may be more when just yesterday I experienced the same side effect again. I felt really bad and am really frustrated now and would like to get some opinions as to what should my approach be at this point? I have been reading people’s experience with FIN and am confused. Can the side effects be permanent also? This is what scares me the most. Some people suggested reducing the dosage. Others say to completely stop it. I am planning to keep using Rogaine though. Will it give me any benefit or will I be just wasting my time and money if I use it without FIN? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

front.jpg.0e2451c80a88f5292a3374271d87af13.jpg

back.jpg.2cd94e131fbd999a41c68e16643dff6e.jpg

top.jpg.62715b5786bf84839ab1d00d52e7470c.jpg

Is anything more important than your sexual health? I made the decision long ago that I'd rather have multiple surgeries and spend a lot of $$ over 10 yrs than risk it. I can always make more money, or add another scar, but my manhood is irreplaceable.

Sounds like your body is not responding. It may be time to listen. You'll get varied advice on here, but ask yourself what you're willing to do to get your hair back? I emphathize with you, but not everyone that has an HT implements fin or min afterwards. Some people are adamant about maintenance while others are resigned to multiple opps.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/health/are-hair-loss-drugs-safe-20150914

Suggest the read.

Thank you esrec for your input. What you are saying makes total sense. Ones sexual health is more important than hair. It really hurts to know that I am one of those few for whom these drugs don't work. I mean they do but with problems. I really hope using Rogaine alone is going to make some difference and I wont be wasting my money on it without getting any results.

You're not the only one. Incidents are aplenty and the stats are misleading for an array of reasons. If you read that article you'll see the many reasons why. Some do see nice benefits, others are unwilling to take the risk. It's a very personal decision.

Do you have before and after HT pics?

You're not the only one. Incidents are aplenty and the stats are misleading for an array of reasons. If you read that article you'll see the many reasons why. Some do see nice benefits, others are unwilling to take the risk. It's a very personal decision.

Do you have before and after HT pics?

Thanks for the input again. I do have B & A pics, but that's another concern I have and am worried about it. My scalp looks like a mess right now as I have pimples. As for the growth, to be honest, I haven't seen any yet. It'll be exactly 3 months post HT on 21st of this month. another concern I have is that about 60% or may be more of transplanted hair didn't fall. Isnt it unusual? Don't you think it'll be better if I wait a little before posting as it might be too early at this point ?

Post above story and and photos w background in the other section; you'll find the feedback to be candid and fair and extremely valuable both w fin and expectations around your ht. I'm 14 days post op btw so not far off from you.

in my opinion, for anyone who is distressed enough about hairloss to under a HT then fin should be just about mandatory. i would view a HT without fin as being at best pointless or at worst a disaster waiting to happen.

i have been on fin for 18+ months and virtually side effect free. that said, hair loss & balding can be extremely depressing & distressing and imho these pose a far greater risk to sexual side effects.

in my opinion, for anyone who is distressed enough about hairloss to under a HT then fin should be just about mandatory. i would view a HT without fin as being at best pointless or at worst a disaster waiting to happen.

i have been on fin for 18+ months and virtually side effect free. that said, hair loss & balding can be extremely depressing & distressing and imho these pose a far greater risk to sexual side effects.

Congrats on not experiencing any side effects, but did you read his full post? He's had two separate incidents in a short period of time. Not sure it's fair of you to declare depression from hair loss (which everyone who is even on this board suffers from HT or not) to be more or less severe than compromised sexual health. Talk to me when you have a full head of hair and a limp d!ck and lmk if you maintain that same position. Don't mean to be harsh, just saying.

Again I'm not advocating against fin rather those who have had negative effects and on multiple occasions to think long term-if you want babies (potential complications) or plan to be sexually active in 20 years ( a goal for all of us) etc etc etc when making the decision. It's a deep personal one.

my experience is 50 50 on this matter, I think working out a even balance with dosage is important for your HT and sexual needs, I went down to 1mg 3 - 4 times a week and minoxidol 5% each day, I think in your case because your hair loss has been slow and quite minimal if you decided not to use fin and planned for HT when needed I think that would be AOK

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

my experience is 50 50 on this matter, I think working out a even balance with dosage is important for your HT and sexual needs, I went down to 1mg 3 - 4 times a week and minoxidol 5% each day, I think in your case because your hair loss has been slow and quite minimal if you decided not to use fin and planned for HT when needed I think that would be AOK

Thank you Sethticles for your input. I think esrec's comment about getting varied advice on this forum on fin is correct. But I don't understand how a medicine can work so differently for people, I mean one person gets 0 sides and other gets 100%. Its strange to me. I'll talk to my family doc and my HT doc about this issue again and see what they say. As for Mikey1970's opinion, I am afraid I am going to have a little disagreement here. I don't think getting an HT without the drug is pointless. In fact my HT doc didn't even mentioned it to me that I absolutely have to be on Fin or any of the other drugs. When I discussed my issue with him, he even said try it again and if you get problems, stop it immediately. I think it all comes down to ones personal choice.

5% won't do much alone I don't feel.....I know some say it works great....but it hasn't done anything for me. Reduce the Fin doseage and see what happens...I take 0.50mg per day and really haven't had much in terms of sides (had a bit of brain fog but I started taking the pills at night instead of during the day and that has seemingly solved the issue). I don't feel people need more than 0.50mg based on the studies....and I'm not sure I'd risk taking more than 0.50mg.

5% won't do much alone I don't feel.....I know some say it works great....but it hasn't done anything for me. Reduce the Fin doseage and see what happens...I take 0.50mg per day and really haven't had much in terms of sides (had a bit of brain fog but I started taking the pills at night instead of during the day and that has seemingly solved the issue). I don't feel people need more than 0.50mg based on the studies....and I'm not sure I'd risk taking more than 0.50mg.

Thank you matt3480 for your input and advice. I actually talked to my family doc and he also suggested the same thing. Reduce the dosage in half. I am giving it try right now and am on 0.5mg. Hopefully I wont experience any sides this time.

Your family doctor is 100% correct. Your sexual well being (not to mention other possible sides) trumps hairloss. I have a very good friend who has serious erectile dysfunction due to this drug.

I think the chance of 'permanent' or very persistent long last effects are the result of people being stubborn and continuing the drug even in the face of side effects.

I'm 43 I recently had a FUE HT. I'm unable to take Fin. I'm doing Rogaine foam, Keto shampoo, and biotin supplement. We are both at that age where our testosterone levels NATURALLY decrease. To be further, augmenting this natural decrease in testosterone with medication is a recipe for disaster.

Dude, listen to your body, it's trying to tell you it does not like Fin. When you ignore what your body is trying to tell you, that's when you get into serious trouble. Time to discontinue Fin while you are still ahead.

You do NOT want to develop PFS! (Post Finasteride Syndrome). This will wreck your life. But don't take my word for it. Read for yourself ... Check out the web site Propeciahelp.com

• Administrators

Minoxidil has dramatically slowed down my hairloss, lipogaine is they minoxidil I use I find it had the best formula and carrier, people discount minoxidil as being useless, but it works, here's a video to show you how much it works, the guy in the video was under the belief that minoxidil was not working cause he was still losing hair, as soon as he stopped he literally lost all of the hair the minoxidil was maintaining within 6 months

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Minoxidil has dramatically slowed down my hairloss, lipogaine is they minoxidil I use I find it had the best formula and carrier, people discount minoxidil as being useless, but it works, here's a video to show you how much it works, the guy in the video was under the belief that minoxidil was not working cause he was still losing hair, as soon as he stopped he literally lost all of the hair the minoxidil was maintaining within 6 months

I love Sam B videos. He does a nice job and he isn't afraid to use himself as a Guinea pig for the benefit of the viewer.

• Administrators
I love Sam B videos. He does a nice job and he isn't afraid to use himself as a Guinea pig for the benefit of the viewer.

He has the right attitude, and his experiments are invaluable, this video further solidified my belief in minoxidil, it may not remove DHT from your body, but it maintains the hair you have even if it doesn't regrow your hair, this video provides proof. That's why if you don't take finasteride you should at least take minoxidil cause it's proven to work and it's definitely better than nothing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

He has the right attitude, and his experiments are invaluable, this video further solidified my belief in minoxidil, it may not remove DHT from your body, but it maintains the hair you have even if it doesn't regrow your hair, this video provides proof. That's why if you don't take finasteride you should at least take minoxidil cause it's proven to work and it's definitely better than nothing.

I totally agree HTsoon. (I've read quite a bit of your post and often find myself in agreement with your points) I can't take fin but I am diligent in my twice daily Rogaine foam routine. Also, Joe Rogan has made statements in the past about how Rogaine helped him maintain his hair for a good while longer following his hair transplant. He eventually gave up the battle (as many have to do) and just shaved it down bald. We all have our breaking points of what and how much we will endur on our quest for hair. Joe seems perfectly happy and accepting of himself now that he is bald.

Your right about Sam B having a great attitude about this whole hair journey. I would give a lot in order to have his relaxed approach to hair transplants. HOWEVER, he never has had to contend with bad results from what I've seen. All His results were good, and his healing was good. Myself on the other hand, a different story. My recipient area is badly discolored and scarred and bumpy now. My recipient head looks like 'burn victim' bullshit now and it drives me into a neurotic tailspin most days. I haven't found an effective strategy to combat my overwhelming self consciousness. Again id love to possess some of Sam B insouciance!

Thank you biolizard and HTsoon for your inputs. HTsoon, I totally agree with your view on Minoxidil. I am using it twice a day for about 4 months now. Hopefully its going to make some difference.

biolizard, I totally agree with you on your view on fin and the potential dangers it has. But its seems alot of people are having no sides from it and is working fine for them. I can also see that alot of people had problems with it and cutting the dosage worked for them. After all the research and getting doctor's opinion, I have decided to give it another try by cutting the dosage in half and see what happens. If I experience a slightest sign of sides, I sure am going to stop it forever. You mentioned that you are not happy with the way your recipient area looks right now. May I ask how long ago you had your procedure done? Are the bumps because of achene? I am asking this because I am 3 months a 5 days post op and also have bumps and mine actually keep moving. One day I have a bump on the left front side, a few days later its gone, but a new one appears at another spot. Plus I am still getting pimples. Not sure how much longer i'll have to go through this condition.

• 4 weeks later...

Going through the forum and stumbled upon this thread. I was using fin from last 6 months and there were no noticable side effects. But from last 15 days, I feel like I have been hit by the sides. Low libido, problem with erection etc. I recently had a transplant and do not want to lose more hair. Fin stopped some of the hairfall but the sides are intimidating. Should I lower the dose and try? Or should I stop the medication totally?

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

timetoact. Sorry to hear about the sides. As for me, I tried lowering the dose from 1mg to 0.5 a day, but still faced the sides. I don't want to loose my hair either and am really worried about it and not sure what to do. I am using rogaine daily though. For now, I have completely stopped using fin and sides seem to have gone. I have my second follow up with my HT doc in a few days and will ask for his opinion about it.