Failed FUE. Repaired by Dr. Feller. Thank you Dr. Feller

DO NOT DO FUE IT DOES NOT GROW AS WELL AS FUT. I AM LIVING PROOF.

I had 1,750 FUE performed on me in March 2013 with a doctor who shall remain nameless. I was told the FUE would grow every bit as well as strip grafts and believed it. But after waiting 17 months I had almost no growth. Just curly cue hairs that were scattered over my still non-existent hairline. Would have been better if I did nothing. All I wanted was my hairline back so that my face could be framed in.

I knew I would have to get more transplants but I was worried that maybe I was just not a grower. And no way I was going back to the same doctor. So I contacted Dr. Feller and had a consultation with him in his Great Neck office. I asked him why he thought I had such poor growth and he pronounced three letters F-U-E. He explained to me that my growth failure was probably due to the injury to the grafts during the extractions. This possibility was not explained to me before my procedure by the FUE doctor.

Dr. Feller examined the back of my head and said there were FUE scars everywhere but that he could get about 1,500 grafts out using FUT. I was worried again because my FUE doctor gave me more than that (1,750), so what was 1,500 grafts going to do? Dr. Feller said his strip grafts would grow better because there is much less injury for the grafts. This made sense to me so I signed up for a strip procedure with him.

On the day of the procedure I arrived at 7:45 AM and there was Dr. Feller already waiting for me. He put me at ease and we reviewed the plan which was give me my hairline back so I can comb my hair backward. After the paperwork we went into the surgical suite and I met an army of technicians. Dr. Feller numbed the back of my head which was much better than the FUE doctor because I felt nothing. He took out the strip which I didn't feel at all, and then used staples to close the skin. I felt nothing. One of the nurses put on a video and I fell asleep after Dr. Feller made the slits for the new hair roots in my hairline. Hopefully it would work better than the FUE did.

I watched TV and napped and when I work up I was almost done. Dr. Feller had gotten 1,600 FUT grafts out, 100 more than planned ! He didn't even charge me extra for them. Dr. Feller is a very nice guy. Very genuine, caring, and funny. He put me at my ease and was attentive to me the entire day. By the way he is also very very intelligent.

When the day ended one of the nurses gave me a mirror and I could not believe what I saw. It was completely different than the FUE doctor. The hairs were packed much closer than the FUE hairs were. I could see this would make a difference when they grew.

So now it's a year later and Dr. Feller's strip grafts grew incredible. I couldn't be happier. And I am shocked at the difference in growth between my FUT grafts and my FUE grafts. FUT is much much better. I was so pleased with the results that I returned for a second procedure to fill in behind the hairline. I'll put those photos up when Dr. Feller gets them to me.

Unfortunately he can't get as many grafts this time because of the FUE scarring. If only I had started with Dr. Feller and FUT ! What's done is done, and I'm happy now and my daughters will see their father as a man with a normal hairline and not a huge forehead with sprouts all over it.

Thanks a million Dr. Feller and your wonderful staff.

bdv24n.jpg

14qi69.jpg

9jdsoh.jpg

23tsbpg.jpg

2wpta3p.jpg

2dwfafp.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! You really grew great!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Your hairline looks good. You must really be mad at the doctor who did your FUE!

I hope no one else makes the same mistake of going to your 1st Dr. :(

Edited by voxman

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

looks fine from the front, but the left side profile clearly shows the newly transplanted grafts up front are not "blended" well with the existing hair, there is a definite "gap" between the transplanted and native hair, the recipient area should have went a bit farther back into the thinning area ... nothing a touch up or 2nd session can't fix

Spare... where? Looks pretty solid.

Take a look at the side view, there is a huge gap, and front density is barely acceptable.

In any case it would be great if moderators would check IP addresses from these "new" Feller patients.

LOL what a joke of a post with a big disclaimer about not getting a FUE just lol man. If I was Dr. Feller I would not even want you posting that because it looks exactly like a smear campaign but it's not even undercover or anything.

Why don't you go check David the moderators results from Dr. Bhatti FUE. They were just posted. And then tell us how FUE doesn't grow as well. No hair transplant grows well FUE or FUT with an incompetent doctor.

I hope that 'failedFUEguy', on one of his return visits to the forum, realizes that not naming his FUE Dr. here is going to really do a disservice to the members struggling with their own choices. People come here to help one another. Not naming the Dr. sets someone out there up for possible failure, and flies in the face of this forum's intent. Instead it's just damning a procedure. Which his 2nd Dr. offers also. (?)

As Basil Fawlty said to Sybil, 'Good Manners Don't Cost a Thing, Dear'.

• Administrators

I'm glad you were able to get a good result, and I am sorry your first procedure didn't turn out like you expected, but one bad result does not define a procedure whether it be FUE or FUT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Agreed HT.

There's a responsible way to address each experience without throwing the doc under the bus, particularly if people continue celebrate the positive.

There's a general unwillingness to accept how subjective the entire process is. Beginning with the degree of frustration and severity of hair loss, what drives someone to follow through with the procedure (independent of result and/or procedure type ) is all very personal.

Of course, there are objectively good and bad results, but at large I think it comes down to expectations.

Take a look at the side view, there is a huge gap, and front density is barely acceptable.

In any case it would be great if moderators would check IP addresses from these "new" Feller patients.

Agreed . Huge bare gap on the left temple. I would not be happy with that result.

Something tells me some posters wouldn't be happy with any result if it came from Dr Feller. This is a solid result, and as the patient said he wanted a HT to frame his face and Dr Feller only managed to get 1600 grafts, he focused it all on the hairline. You can see from the pre op photo where the hairline is drawn that it would be thin behind the hairline as no grafts were put there, that's obvious, but why miss an opportunity to have a dig at Dr Feller eh?

Some of you guys are like flies round poo where Dr Feller is concerned, why? cos his opinion doesn't match yours on FUE, so you follow him around the forum making disparaging remarks about his HT results. That does not reflect well on you at all.

Great result for 1600 grafts.

I also agree that not naming the Dr who did your FUE is doing a disservice to others, why protect a doctor that took your money and left your heed a mess?

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

people that voluntarily post their progress pics on this forum can get positive or negative feedback, all meant as constructive criticism, which is what this forum is supposed to be about, Dr. Feller is a top knotch doctor and considered one of the best in North America, every doctor has outstanding results and some that are just "ok", it is obvious that this patient's work was overly focused on the hairline - without any blending into the native hair - see the "gap" on the patient's left side profile, you may think it is acceptable to have a hairline that serves as a "wall" of hair in the front, and then a dead zone immediately behind that hairline - I dont. It looks unnatural and makes the hairline work stick out sorely - a better approach would have been to use the same amount of grafts and feather them back into the entire frontal zone in order to have more consistent density up front, not a hairline that looks like a wall. Members are allowed to and will continue to provide feedback - good or bad - regardless of the who the doctor is - including the top knotch ones like Dr. Feller.

Voluntarily sharing your story and asking for feedback and advice is indeed what this forum is about.

That this guy never posted progress pics for either procedure until this fawning/damning post is a slap in our face.

Upon reflection, I also find this an extremely odd post. Dr. Feller certainly does not need press (good or bad) and if it was discovered that this was in any way a solicited post, I would be very disappointed.

Edited by voxman

Something tells me some posters wouldn't be happy with any result if it came from Dr Feller. This is a solid result, and as the patient said he wanted a HT to frame his face and Dr Feller only managed to get 1600 grafts, he focused it all on the hairline. You can see from the pre op photo where the hairline is drawn that it would be thin behind the hairline as no grafts were put there, that's obvious, but why miss an opportunity to have a dig at Dr Feller eh?

Some of you guys are like flies round poo where Dr Feller is concerned, why? cos his opinion doesn't match yours on FUE, so you follow him around the forum making disparaging remarks about his HT results. That does not reflect well on you at all.

Great result for 1600 grafts.

I also agree that not naming the Dr who did your FUE is doing a disservice to others, why protect a doctor that took your money and left your heed a mess?

You do realize this is a fake review posted by Feller and Bloxham? It is so obvious, it is actually hilarious.

Petchski,

Correct! The goal was to address the micro and macrohairline alone during the first procedure. The patient's donor was extremely depleted from the past FUE, and it was clear that he would not get a lot per strip, so spreading the grafts at all really wasn't an option. The overall gameplan was then to address the area in the frontal scalp directly behind the macrohairline with whatever grafts could be obtained from a final strip, and then to see if mFUE was an option down the road.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi FailedFUE guy. How's it going? We miss you. :(

I see you have not yet made a return visit since you signed up and made your debut post 7 days ago. I hope you are okay.

Has anyone heard from FailedFUE guy?

Did I tell you we miss you ?

Hey Vox!

He's coming in Monday for staple removal. We'll ask him about the radio silence! Haha.

In the meantime, here are some of the intra-op and post-op shots:

Here's a picture of his donor region. You can see the FUE sites on each side of our strip scar (and his skin is a bit red/irritated from cleaning the area with an alcohol pad):

20pa5tz.jpg

And here he is after placing 850 (approximately) grafts in the area behind where we worked previously. Unfortunately, his donor was very depleted and we were only able to harvest a limited number of grafts. However, we think we can steal some more out with mFUE in the future.

16jlquc.jpg

2n7jtqv.jpg

More to come Monday!

Edited by DrBlakeBloxham

• Administrators

This thread smells like 3 day old fish that was left in the sun.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.