Australian seeking advice from fellow Aussies

Hi there,

As the title portrays I am an Australian guy who is looking to undergo a hair transplant. I would love to hear from any fellow Australian's who have undergone this procedure and which doctor and method they recommend.

From my research on this site travelling abroad is the best option and Dr Path in Bangkok, Thailand seems to be a good choice due to the cost, skill level and close proximity. However I am open to all suggestions as this is a massive step and would like to be well informed before I make any commitments.

Also, I would like to know which technique (FUT/FUE) would be better suited to a 28 year old Norwood I/II? I have the typical genetic mpb: receding hairline at the temples in a V shape. If it not overall noticeable when I style my hair however if I brush it back it just about kills me ha (absolutely hate getting a hair cut!). I supplement with propecia, minoxidil, revita and nizoral aswell as herbal supplements. I am concerned about the scar being noticeable if I undergo FUT (i have a short back and sides blade 3) - and also limiting potentially donor area's if I want further HT's in the future. But on the other hand I really do not want to shave my entire head if I do FUE (I plan on doing this procedure in secret :D). Is it possible to shave only the donor area (back of head) and leave the recipient area long (top).. as the new hair will be transplanted in front of my existing hairline?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions I would really appreciate some guidance and advice. Any advice of the best dr's, procedures, experiences coming from Aust would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Oliverqueen01

Hey mate,

Check out my FUE procedure with Dr Path 6 months ago. Like u late 20s, receding hairline stabilised with meds. My website blog showing everything is just below this post. Also yes only my sides and back were shaved. He shaved maybe 1cm of my existing hairline to blend the new grafts.

Hey there,

Reviews on Aussie docs (eg Knudson, Martinek) are scare and inconsistent. In the end i've decided to travel to Turkey to have FUE with Erdogen Koray. I feel like FUE is a gamble compared to a proven FUT doc, however my personal decision was made knowing I buzz my hair at the back and sides at #2 . My surgery is 8 December, and time will tell if I've made the right decision.

You're still quite young, so go into it knowing that MPB will slowly progress and you may require the odd touch up to close the gap between your future natural state and your new permanent new hair line out front. Traveling overseas will make touch-ups that bit more difficult.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm following, and hope to see more tips on doctors, travelling etc from aussies who have been through the HT experience.

Thanks for your response guys. I have sent pics etc off to both Dr Path and Dr Koray. I think i would rather go with FUT as it seems to get better results but i will see what the Doctors recommend. I have a blade 3 at the back so im unsure whether it will cover it or not.

@ersk72 .. I really like how the clinic takes care of your transport, accommodation etc. although the flights from Aus to Turkey are an absolute killer though!! I think i had a quick look and they were fairly pricey and very long. Although I hear getting a HT in Turkey is the cheapest way.

@88mph - In hindsight are you glad you took the leap? Any regrets? Words of wisdom :)

Hey Erkso72 was Dec 8 the earliest you could get in with Erdogan? I have booked an initial consultation with him on the 23rd of oct and all going well hoping I can book in for surgery around early dec with any luck. Flying out of Sydney for a 27 hour haul on the 21st to istanbul :-/