Results of 2000 FUT w Dr. Scott Alexander from April 1st 2015

hairback423

Unfortunately, I dont have just scalp focused pictures after a year. Truthfully at that point everything was amazing and looked just the same as 6 months that I showed. I was happy with that and it never got any better or worse, until recently. I can post pictures from Facebook around that time if it helps, so you can see the hairline.  This started happening around September of 2018 when I actually noticed and got sick to my stomach and the pictures I posed are from yesterday. Unfortunatly it is just getting worse.  This was my worst fear. 

On 3/19/2019 at 4:57 AM, hairback423 said:

Zoloft for depression. Not more stress than usually especially now. If its stress related will in come back. What can I do. I would obviously get another transplant I just can't afford another 9k at this point. Also I'm terrified this would happen again and I'd be in the same boat. 

Been some links to Sertaline (Zoloft) usage and hair loss however seeing as the area that is thinning out seems to be the area that was transplanted in, it may not be the cause in your case. Have you noticed any thinning on any other parts of the scalp?

9 hours ago, spex said:

Hey Hairback, 

Sorry to hear you are feeling your HT has thinned out. Not the first time ive ever heard of this however this could well be a few reasons. 

1. further loss of native hair in the frontal region ( I experienced it and needed further work to keep up with the progression of loss ) 

2. Seasonal shedding which can make hair appear very thing. See my topic here. 

Sorry if i missed it but how long have you been feeling your hair is much thinner now than it was , weeks, months years  ? 

Can you take some pics in comparable lighting to your 5 months pics in start of the topic and not harsh bright light with wet hair. 

Regards

Spex

20190320_204850.jpg

20190320_204846.jpg

20190320_204835.jpg

20190320_204832.jpg

20190320_204825.jpg

I actually noticed a significant thinning around August of 2018.....but I would say 2018 is when this started happening.  But forsure from August 2018 until now March 20 2019 has become extremely noticeable. 

Here is with completely dry hair. I just got it cute the exact same length I always do. So it will is the same as in 5 month comparisons. Also, lighting is the same as before too. I'm not trying to pull a fast one. My hair is thinned so bad its embarrassing. I will guarentee you and tell you first hand. It has thinned and thinned alot. 

And I went in actually and spoke with Dr. Alexander face-to-face in late November or early December of 2018 and was told it was a shedding period. I will be amazed if this 6 plus month "shedding period" returns to how it was. I'm sorry I just am extremely upset I was told this hair was resistant to DHT. I have no idea why this happened, but it was my worst fear. 

Edited by hairback423

On 3/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, Upshall said:

Can you show us where your scar is located. Just want to make sure it’s in the safe zone. 

Also, when you saw doctor A, did he agree that his worked has thinned? Did he provide an explanation as to why? 

Sorry for the delay. Here it is. 

20190320_205948.jpg

20190320_205931.jpg

20190320_210014.jpg

Ok all I am currently taking is zoloft (generic 100mg) 1x daily for general anxiety and depression and propecia (generic). If your referring to the other prescriptions in the picture as the cocktail so to speak, I share the bathroom with my girlfriend and we live together and both out prescriptions are in the same medicine cabinet. 

What is biotin and the other you recommended? Anything else I can do? How short do you recommend to keep it? Dr Alexander told me to never go lower than a 3 on sides to hide scar. 

2 hours ago, spex said:

I think all you can try to do it ride it out and try not stress over it. I KNOW that's difficult but your high anxiety levels will only be feeding the fire so to speak. Keep hair short, wear a hat when needed and try not to scrutinise it. Reason being it is what it is at this stage. You need try park it to best of your ability in order to  get the stress levels down assosiated with it ( vicious circle )  and then in a few months arrange to see Dr Alexander again for him to access in person. 

Try get all other medication you are taking down to a minimum to get a stable control for the situ rather than a cocktail so to speak as this will only be counterproductive. In situations like these and seen them over the years from a range of patients is you need ride it out and give yourself the best environment to create a control of what the situ is. Get on a healthy regime and get yourself on Biotin and MSM too to promote healthy hair.

Try not apply too many 'products' and try your best to not fixate on it. I know its tough but based on experience this is the best advice I can offer and aim to speak with Dr Alexander in a few months so he can do his best to help guide you.

Regards

Spex 

If stress is causing the shed, why is only his transplanted hair falling out? Also, do sheds caused by stress typically last longer than 6 months? 

• Thanks 1

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

To be totally honest I don't think you can necessarily conclude these are transplanted hairs that have shredded. It looks like the transplanted hairs may have remained while the native hairs have continued to recede, and that is the most obvious explanation for what has happened here. It could also be the result of continued recession and also the natural growth/shed cycle of the transplanted hair.

Your results look uniform.  I think you are right, you may have gone on to lose more native hair.  Had it not been for the transplants, you would be in worse shape. Now, the question becomes, is the native hair still there?  Why not go on a medical regimen, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP, Laser), and do it for a good year.  Take good photos and see what happens.  Worse case scenario, you lose a year. Bet to say you may return to have as close a density as to what you had 5 months post op.

Hey man I’m sorry you are experiencing this and I say that because I am experiencing the same exact thing, except my “shed” of transplanted hair happened just 10 months after my surgery. I don’t understand either man I’m so upset. I was so dam happy and my new hair line was looking so great I couldn’t believe it and it was suppose to get even better with a few months of growth left ! Then out of no where it just started to go and go and go. I reached out here on the forum and the only answer I got was from Spex and a few others that it was a shed and it’s more common than not? Just not really spoken about. Idk man. I believe you though and agree with you judging by your photos you posted. This has been going for 4 months now and I’m hoping things grow back in but my luck they won’t. I payed quite a penny for my procedure too and now I’m looking into and saving to have another one with a different doctor. I’m sorry brother I’m in the same boat. It’s heart breaking. 

I’m using Topic Hair fibers in the mean time, maybe they will help you as well. Best of luck

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Your results look uniform.  I think you are right, you may have gone on to lose more native hair.  Had it not been for the transplants, you would be in worse shape. Now, the question becomes, is the native hair still there?  Why not go on a medical regimen, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP, Laser), and do it for a good year.  Take good photos and see what happens.  Worse case scenario, you lose a year. Bet to say you may return to have as close a density as to what you had 5 months post op.

Bollocks to that

Clearly a lot of transplanted hairs have shed.  If that happened to me after a HT I'd be fuming

Edited by garethbale

Just now, garethbale said:

Bollocks to that

Clearly a lot of transplanted hairs that have shed.  If that happened to me after a HT I'd be fuming

If your opinion that anything is "clearly" represented by a few low resolution photos taken from distances far too back to discern anything meaningful - then the credibility of your opinion seems suspect. The only thing that is "clear" here is that the photos are ambiguous. Could it be transplanted hair shedding? Maybe. Is it the likely cause of the thinning? No.

The reasons why it is not likely the cause:

1) The scientific literature has established fairly confidently that hairs transplanted when pulled from the safe zone typically do not miniaturize in people with MPB.

2) His photos indicate that the hair pulled was well within the safe zone.

3) The pattern of thinning here is relatively uniform. If this was a case of "some" of his transplanted hairs being outside the safe zone, then we might expect that the thinning pattern to be less uniform, unless you want to take the hypothesis that "all" of his transplanted hair were susceptible to MPB.

4) The more thin areas of his scalp are the exact areas that appeared to be receding prior to the transplant.

2 hours ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

If your opinion that anything is "clearly" represented by a few low resolution photos taken from distances far too back to discern anything meaningful - then the credibility of your opinion seems suspect. The only thing that is "clear" here is that the photos are ambiguous. Could it be transplanted hair shedding? Maybe. Is it the likely cause of the thinning? No.

1) The scientific literature has established fairly confidently that hairs transplanted when pulled from the safe zone typically do not miniaturize in people with MPB.

3) The pattern of thinning here is relatively uniform. If this was a case of "some" of his transplanted hairs being outside the safe zone, then we might expect that the thinning pattern to be less uniform, unless you want to take the hypothesis that "all" of his transplanted hair were susceptible to MPB.

4) The more thin areas of his scalp are the exact areas that appeared to be receding prior to the transplant.

Are you a doctor? FUE Blonde? Or a surgeon that specializes in this?

Hang in there man, do not let this take you down, the way I see it you have a partner and you have a good beard so you don't need to be out there searching for females or anything, worst case scenario is you grow the beard out, get some scalp micropigmentation and shave your head to look like you have that short haired strong beard look. Get the micropigmentation to help disguise the HT scar and rock out bro. Don't let the vanity shit destroy your life... be strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Your results look uniform.  I think you are right, you may have gone on to lose more native hair.  Had it not been for the transplants, you would be in worse shape. Now, the question becomes, is the native hair still there?  Why not go on a medical regimen, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP, Laser), and do it for a good year.  Take good photos and see what happens.  Worse case scenario, you lose a year. Bet to say you may return to have as close a density as to what 

Question for you, your names is LaserCap are you associated or affiliated with marketing, sales, or clinical representation of any type of Laser Cap hair solution, products, promotion,  and/or business? Hahahah 

I agree I may try the lasercap it's just expensive and I'd rather try and save for another Transplant If this is going to be my unfortunate disappointing outcome. 

I was using all of the about you listed besides the lasercap and PRP (which I've been researching). Until Spex stated to stop rolgain and nioxin bc they are notorious for shedding.

I really do appreciate you advice and support buddy. 😃

Edited by hairback423

9 hours ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

To be totally honest I don't think you can necessarily conclude these are transplanted hairs that have shredded. It looks like the transplanted hairs may have remained while the native hairs have continued to recede, and that is the most obvious explanation for what has happened here. It could also be the result of continued recession and also the natural growth/shed cycle of the transplanted hair.

As in regards to Native hair receding further back, it is not and I can assure you this, as I am the one looking at my own head. However, let's just assume the native hair has received further back......the transplanted hair is still thinning(alot) So, if what you are proposing is in fact the truth, wouldn't there be the "DHT resistant" transplanted hair on my frontal hair line(where transplant was done) followed by a gap (or balding area) then leading back to the native hair on the crown?

P.S. its shedding not shredding 

Edited by hairback423

5 hours ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

What I see......is that clearly from the pictures I posted the "transplanted hair" that I'm sure you are well aware is RESISTANT to DHT, has thinned significantly from the 5 month post opp pictures. In addition, as I'm sure once again you are well aware, it takes 12-24 months for the full results. So wouldn't it be safe to say... at 5 months the results are clearly a success? So.......which leads me back to my original question.....after 4 plus year why has PERMINATE TRANSPLANTED HAIR 50% or more thinned out?

Let's focus on my question and a possible solution. Not bringing up opinions on the matter that may or may not be of any relevance. 

Hair transplant = success - 4 Years later = thinning

Also, I've seen your pictures you posted of YOUR (FUEBLOND1985) transplant results....its funny we must have used the same "low resolution" camera from the same distances....how funny!

Edited by hairback423

1 hour ago, hairback423 said:

your opinion that anything is "clearly" represented by a few low resolution photos taken from distances far too back to discern anything meaningful - then the credibility of your opinion seems suspect. The only thing that is "clear" here is that the photos are ambiguous. Could it be transplanted hair shedding? Maybe. Is it the likely cause of the thinning? No.

Welp.....you seem to be adding your two sense quite a bit and also going in a circle. I want to know why infact the TRANSPLANTED HAIR has thinned from the success pictures? IT is CLEAR it HAS.....forget about your "hypothesis" Dr. FUEBLONDE just a for a second, k?

Let's say my whole damn head went bald due to significat progression in alopecia, after the transplant. By the scientific studies you have "clearly" referenced then the "my hypothesis" would be that I should have my transplant DHT resistant hair from the FUT on my frontal hairline that was recreated...... and then be bald EVERWHERE else. (Dr. I didn't catch your name)

Example picture attached doc for your research Dr. FUEBLONDE.

While I believe the clinical findings in general you are referencing to, to indeed be true. (which is why I got a damn FUT in the first place and bought into the surgery) , I'm just curious can you reference a study and site your sources? Instead of trying to overcompensate to sound educated and like you know what you are talking about.

Your facts are something that ANYONE who has undergone a FUE or FUT should already know?...Go ahead bud, look one up....and put your expert opinion and reasoning below.  Thanks 

Screenshot_20190323-005018_Google.jpg

Edited by hairback423

1 hour ago, Kiwi Guy said:

Hang in there man, do not let this take you down, the way I see it you have a partner and you have a good beard so you don't need to be out there searching for females or anything, worst case scenario is you grow the beard out, get some scalp micropigmentation and shave your head to look like you have that short haired strong beard look. Get the micropigmentation to help disguise the HT scar and rock out bro. Don't let the vanity shit destroy your life... be strong.

Thanks, brother!