Shaved head after fue

• Administrators
HT, I thought - and still think - what doctors who are likely to be doing the procedure say about scarring is relevant. What Bhatti says perhaps coincides with your point; Lorenzo's clearly doesn't (and I don't think Lorenzo would agree with his own website in a personal consultation).

I guess I'm saying that there isn't agreement on this - and one or two results isn't necessarily demonstrative of every outcome. And my point, if I had one, is that in any event a general 'it is safe to shave/buzz down to whatever grade rule' (unless a relatively high one) isn't going to apply to everyone. In the same way FUT scars can differ, so will FUE scars. So does each patient's density, hair characteristics and skin/hair tone.

We'd both say people considering fut should think about the potential scar, and the risk it might not be pencil thin. I don't see a difference in being equally candid about the risks of FUE. People thinking about procedures should consider the risk and the nuances of their own situation and potential outcomes, shouldn't they? Doctors doing the procedure should be candid and consistent, shouldn't they? (Patients are much more likely to believe them than a whole load of internet chat). These are rhetorical questions, by the way.

Bad FUE scars occur far less than FUT, does it happen sure, especially in people who develop keloids, if some one asked what would my FUT scar look like, I think it would be wrong to post a stretched scar, that is not the norm and happens only in a small portion of individuals. I think it would have been better for you to post a picture or video of someone who had bad scarring it would've made more sense than to post what some doctors say about scarring, the point your making now did not correlate with what you originally posted. I think if you disagreed with the video I posted you should've posted another one or a photo showing the opposite. The few photos I've seen of bad scarring have been from individuals who develop keloids, what percentage of guys who get hair restoration develop keloids I don't know but I know it's in the minority, I think it's safe to say the majority of individuals won't scar like that. But by all means post some examples it'll add to the discussion and is definitely relevant.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Bad FUE scars occur far less than FUT...

So I guess to assert that you must be able to define a 'bad' scar and know/have an opinion on the percentages of which occurr from each type of procedure. Genuinely curious on what basis you make that claim. i.e your hunch from looking at internet forums, conversations with doctors, some objective evidence/medical literature etc.

As for posting a picture of a 'bad' scar, I didn't do that because, if I recall correctly, the OP asked about what shaving to the bone would look like for him, and I have no more idea than the bees. I'm not sure if anyone can objectively give any evidence to back up the odds of it being good or bad - however that is defined.

• Administrators
So I guess to assert that you must be able to define a 'bad' scar and know/have an opinion on the percentages of which occurr from each type of procedure. Genuinely curious on what basis you make that claim. i.e your hunch from looking at internet forums, conversations with doctors, some objective evidence/medical literature etc.

As for posting a picture of a 'bad' scar, I didn't do that because, if I recall correctly, the OP asked about what shaving to the bone would look like for him, and I have no more idea than the bees. I'm not sure if anyone can objectively give any evidence to back up the odds of it being good or bad - however that is defined.

My assertion is made on individuals I have personally met who've had FUE and individuals I've met who've had FUT, I'm not saying this is a scientific fact just my own observation, if you read his post he didn't say what his head would look like shaven to the bone, I'm pretty sure the only way he'd know that is if he shaved his head himself, he asked if anybody has pictures of someone who had FUE around the amount of grafts he had shaven to the bone. His original question:

"Anyway

I m trying to find a pitcure for shaved head after fue (shave to the bone) in receipient area or donor area i could nnit find any normal picture on the net. Does anyone try it so far ? espically with the new advanced fue technique not the scarry old fue"

I posted the only documented case I know with the same amount of grafts op has roughly, now if the purpose of your original posts where you copied and pasted what two surgeons state about FUE was to somehow explain that not every individual scars the same and some individuals will scar worse than the example shown, I think it would be relevant to post a picture, I'm seriously confused as to what the purpose of your posts are I fail to see the point you're trying to make, if it was to say that not all scars look the same, then fair enough can you provide examples? I don't think it makes sense to make a statement like that without providing some examples of what you're referring to. If that's not your point than I really don't know I'm :confused:

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

^No. You don't understand that when you plan and place follicles for an HT, you have to place them very differently based on whether the patient is going to buzz or not. If he does buzz, it will look unnatural, regardless of whether the doctor is "best" or not.

You're presenting a false choice, a guy with baldness can just buzz his head and move on without the HT. A guy who gets an FUE and buzzes will look just as bald as a guy who does not get an HT.

Again, the possibility of moving on with your life and maintaining a short buzz cut is far greater with FUE than with strip, provided that you did your due diligence. The beauty of FUE is that it provides us with more options down the line. This shouldn't be discounted. Simply put, I like having options, don't you?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Again, the possibility of moving on with your life and maintaining a short buzz cut is far greater with FUE than with strip, provided that you did your due diligence. The beauty of FUE is that it provides us with more options down the line. This shouldn't be discounted. Simply put, I like having options, don't you?

The option isn't there as much as you think it is. Yes it is better than FUT, but even buzzing after FUE will not look natural as just shaving and moving on.

a lot guys who post images of themselves day 15 post FUE, shows a good example of what buzzing down could look like at blade #1, most of these photos I think makes all the guys look pretty good, certainly miles better compared to a guy forced to buzz down cause his going bald, the difference being the FUE buzz will show a lower hair line to a non HT looking buzz cut,

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

KO,

Again, that's the gist of it.

I also don't think buzzing down as soon as 15 days post-op is as good of an indicator of what the scarring will actually be like when it's fully matured. First, there is almost always some shock loss around the sites, and this makes the generally picture more confusing, and it takes a full year for any scar -- FUT or FUE -- to fully mature.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators

So far I've be the only person that presented documented cases in video and photo, the recipient area will not look odd so long as you shave with a razor as shown in joe rogan who had strip, if you're going to refute a photo at least provide another photo to back your claim.

View my thread

Jdoe,

Thanks for sharing. So these images are after the SMP to the FUE scars?

This is now the second case of SMP to FUE scars I've seen posted on the forums. And I must admit that the entire concept of selecting one procedure over the other to minimize the scarring -- at the sake of yield -- and then still requiring more cosmetic work to fix the scarring perplexes me a bit.

Regardless, glad you were able to get this the way you wanted it!

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators
Jdoe,

Thanks for sharing. So these images are after the SMP to the FUE scars?

This is now the second case of SMP to FUE scars I've seen posted on the forums. And I must admit that the entire concept of selecting one procedure over the other to minimize the scarring -- at the sake of yield -- and then still requiring more cosmetic work to fix the scarring perplexes me a bit.

Regardless, glad you were able to get this the way you wanted it!

I must admit the concept of getting hair transplant via strip, then going back and using grafts via fue to cover up the scar perplexes me a bit. You're wasting valuable grafts that could've been utilized in the balding area, SMP does not remove finite grafts. Additionally, at the expense of yield is arguable and another topic altogether.

View my thread

My assertion is made on individuals I have personally met who've had FUE and individuals I've met who've had FUT, I'm not saying this is a scientific fact just my own observation, if you read his post he didn't say what his head would look like shaven to the bone, I'm pretty sure the only way he'd know that is if he shaved his head himself, he asked if anybody has pictures of someone who had FUE around the amount of grafts he had shaven to the bone. His original question:

"Anyway

I m trying to find a pitcure for shaved head after fue (shave to the bone) in receipient area or donor area i could nnit find any normal picture on the net. Does anyone try it so far ? espically with the new advanced fue technique not the scarry old fue"

I posted the only documented case I know with the same amount of grafts op has roughly, now if the purpose of your original posts where you copied and pasted what two surgeons state about FUE was to somehow explain that not every individual scars the same and some individuals will scar worse than the example shown, I think it would be relevant to post a picture, I'm seriously confused as to what the purpose of your posts are I fail to see the point you're trying to make, if it was to say that not all scars look the same, then fair enough can you provide examples? I don't think it makes sense to make a statement like that without providing some examples of what you're referring to. If that's not your point than I really don't know I'm :confused:

The implication of the OP's first post was that he wanted to see an example of a shaved down fue to understand what he would look like if he shaved down. The video shows what one person who's had it done looks like. Some people think it looks 'good'. If I showed a 'bad' result, then we'd be fifty-fifty. So the OP is left without knowing if he is going to look good or bad.

And that doesn't really give the OP - or any of us - a good idea of the chances of getting a good or bad result. Because what the OP really wanted to know were the odds of getting a good or bad shave down.

Let me extend this using a metaphor to a less controversial topic - race. (That's a joke - though I am going to use the metaphor).

Say we want to know what the average or 'standard' person from Sweden looks like - or, to be more precise, their skin colour. Neither of us has been to Sweden and we can't find any census information. We look on the net. You could post a picture of a white man from Sweden. I could post a picture of a black man. Does this mean Sweden is full of black or white men, or fifty-fifty? We neither of us have any real idea. We don't know the population of Sweden or the race of the people in it.

To extend the slightly tortuous metaphor further, let's say we have stumbled onto an internet forum and some of the posters are the census-takers in Sweden. We can ask them because they've been speaking with hundreds or thousands of people in Sweden. We assume they will have a better idea, but even they haven't seen all the census data.

In this example the census-takers are the doctors - and that's why I posted what doctors say about scarring. (The census would be some medical research and the like). And also why I didn't post a picture to refute yours - because I'm not looking to argue one case over another - I'm looking for data and trying to work out the risks involved and the odds of getting what I consider a good result. And maybe along the way try to make others who are reading work out for themselves what risks and considerations they should make before a ht.

Blake, how am I doing for patience? Matching yours? (I am trying hard).

Edited by newbie33

Newbie,

Haha! You're doing great, my friend!

• Administrators
The implication of the OP's first post was that he wanted to see an example of a shaved down fue to understand what he would look like if he shaved down. The video shows what one person who's had it done looks like. Some people think it looks 'good'. If I showed a 'bad' result, then we'd be fifty-fifty. So the OP is left without knowing if he is going to look good or bad.

And that doesn't really give the OP - or any of us - a good idea of the chances of getting a good or bad result. Because what the OP really wanted to know were the odds of getting a good or bad shave down.

Let me extend this using a metaphor to a less controversial topic - race. (That's a joke - though I am going to use the metaphor).

Say we want to know what the average or 'standard' person from Sweden looks like - or, to be more precise, their skin colour. Neither of us has been to Sweden and we can't find any census information. We look on the net. You could post a picture of a white man from Sweden. I could post a picture of a black man. Does this mean Sweden is full of black or white men, or fifty-fifty? We neither of us have any real idea. We don't know the population of Sweden or the race of the people in it.

To extend the slightly tortuous metaphor further, let's say we have stumbled onto an internet forum and some of the posters are the census-takers in Sweden. We can ask them because they've been speaking with hundreds or thousands of people in Sweden. We assume they will have a better idea, but even they haven't seen all the census data.

In this example the census-takers are the doctors - and that's why I posted what doctors say about scarring. (The census would be some medical research and the like). And also why I didn't post a picture to refute yours - because I'm not looking to argue one case over another - I'm looking for data and trying to work out the risks involved and the odds of getting what I consider a good result. And maybe along the way try to make others who are reading work out for themselves what risks and considerations they should make before a ht.

Blake, how am I doing for patience? Matching yours? (I am trying hard).

Newbie, none of this makes any sense, I'm hurting I'm head trying to piece this together, ok so basically the OP asked if anybody had a picture of anyone who's shaved their head to the bone with the new modern FUE, the OP never asked about averages or a general census regarding FUE scarring this is your assumption. Additionally, you're original post did not correlate at all with what you're saying now,I basically answered the OP's question straight forward, if at that point you wanted to add to the discussion for your own knowledge you should've started off with what you're saying now, it's very hard to follow your points, I think I'm more confused now than when I started off.

Additionally, the analogy of what the average man looks like in Sweden is different, because visible scarring shaved to the bone is different than scarring at a 1 guard, I think a more appropriate analogy would've been what does the average mans chest in Sweden look like because a mans chest is not visible unless he removes his shirt, similar to the scars that change dramatically in appearance when the head is shaved, I fail to see how physicians appropriate census takers? Unless every physician is having their patients head shaved with a razor it's not possible for them to see what the scars look like shaved with a razor. Again, I think the best way to approach your question is to try and find as many documented cases where patients shaved their head after FUE and post them even if it was not to refute my original post, it would've created a larger pool of results in which potential candidates could refer too. That would be more helpful for someone to make an educated guess than posting something from a physicians website.

View my thread

This is not before his hair transplant, he got his HT in the 90's this picture is recent. He had three hair transplants, do you see his scalp discolored? Do you see his scalp looks weird? I don't think so, like I said it's not visible shaven to the bone.

Here's a video of him discussing it see his head is shaved

Some great info in this thread. What Joe Rogan said to himself after his HT really resonates with me cause I felt nearly the same way deep down after my HT..........."Christ what the heck did I just do to myself"

However, I closely watched the YouTube video of Sam B buzzing then shaving down his head after his FUE, Personally I think that he looks AWESOME buzzed down after the FUE. Much better than before his HT 2 years prior. Yes, if you look at it and scrutinize it you can see he had some work done, but truthfully the FUE gave him that all important frontal hairline back! This makes the buzz down (no guard) cut look so much better. As far as the other imperfections, I think that a little touch up with some SMP and he would be looking sharp.

Depending on how my HT progresses or fails to progress, it does give me optimism to know that I may be able to buzz it down or shave it and still have it look semi decent. A little SMP if needed to touch it up and I will be just fine I'm thinking. It's good to know there is at least somewhat of a viable 'out' or exit strategy from this 2000 FUE I had 6 weeks ago should things go wrong with the HT.

but truthfully the FUE gave him that all important frontal hairline back! This makes the buzz down (no guard) cut look so much better. .

yep exactly....

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Well, if you've interested in HTs you've got to be prepared for your head to hurt. And as it happens I have been to Sweden, so I can observe this: lovely people and very reasonably-priced flat-pack furniture.

In the most literal sense you posted a picture of a shaved down ht, which is what the OP asked for. But what that is basically saying is "Here's what your result is going to look like, mate". Which might be misleading. Notice I use the words 'might be'. Because after trying to explain and say nicely, I will boil my point down to a sentence:

A picture of one person or multiple people's results does not indicate how representative that is of every result.

Or how about this joke which gets the same point across (Maths is fun, kids!)

A Mathematician, a Physicist, and an astronomer were travelling north by train. They had just crossed the border into Scotland, when the Astronomer looked out of the window and saw a single black sheep in the middle of a field. "All Scottish sheep are black," he remarked. "No, my friend," replied the Physicist, "Some Scottish sheep are black." At which point the Mathematician looked up from his paper and glanced out the window. After a few second's thought he said blandly: "In Scotland, there exists at least one field, in which there exists at least one sheep, at least one side of which is black."

Also, you've two or three times told me how I should argue my points, which has quietly amused me, but might to the outside observer be considered patronising.

Peace and love, chaps.

Edited by newbie33

• Administrators

Newbie, by responding to the question I'm not incinuating or implying this will be the OP's specific result, I think that was an assumption you made, I don't mean to be patronizing I'm just trying to make it clear for the readers of this thread. What you're saying that posting up multiple pictures of shaved heads will not be indicative of your particular result, sure that's true, but the same could be said about hair transplants in general, isn't that the purpose of this forum? To post pictures of your results and the results of physicians to give you an idea? Obviously results differ amongst individuals but it's truly helpful to the outside observer in making an informed decision, by your logic it's totally pointless to do this because that may not be the observers personal result, as a hair restoration patient I disagree, when I look at a result I don't bank on getting the same result but it does give me an idea of what *may occur, there have already been some thankful individuals on this thread that have found the information provided informative which is what it's all about to me.

No hard feelings Newbie:)

View my thread

I just saw this thread. I thought you would be able to shave your head down more after fue too. But I wouldnt do it if my scars were like the guy in the video. It is not that bad, but all the stuff I read online made it sound like you could shave it down without scars.

FUE for me?? Maybe???