FUT with Dr. Wong (4432 grafts)

citizenkage

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with Dr. Wong and keep anyone who is interested updated on my progress throughout the next year or so. First off, I started losing my hair when I was about 19-20 years old. It started out as a slight recession around my temples. I was really freaked out and extremely upset about it. I visited doctors who recommended vitamins and supplements and things of that nature, which didn't do anything for me. I didn't know what to do and basically became a hermit crab. It zapped me off all my confidence. The hair loss didn't really increase though, over the years. The progression was really slow, up until about 2 years ago anyways. I really started noticing it, my barber said something to me too. I wanted to do something about it. Just a disclaimer, I did try Propecia and Rogaine in the past and that might of helped me conserve what I had at the time, but I didn't see it that way. I didn't see any regrowth and figured that a lost cause. Pretty dumb of me I know, but anyways my hair loss had gotten really bad so I started doing research on hair transplants. I read alot of articles, lurked around on different forums and finally mustered the courage to go in for a consultation. I live in South Florida, and ended up doing 3 in-person consultations with local doctors. I also did 3 on-line consultations with doctors who I kept seeing people talk about in the forums. After much deliberation and research I decided to go with Hasson & Wong, and Dr. Wong in particular. I was contacted by a patient consultant for H&W who works with people from the states being that H&W is out of Vancouver, Canada. We had some really long, great talks and he really made me feel good about my decision. My appointment was scheduled for July, 23 2015. I flew into Vancouver on the 22nd, it was a quick trip because short notice and work and all. I wish I could've stayed for longer, Vancouver is such a beautiful place. Anyways, it was in on the 22nd and out on the 24th. H&W set me up in a beautiful hotel not too far from their office. On the day of the appointment I got to the office at about 6AM. I was immediately greeted by one of the nurses, she was setting up for the day and was actually the only one there at that point. The office was very nice, clean, modern, state-of-the art looking. Beautiful location too, overlooking the mountains. She sat me down, took some pictures and went over some things regarding what to expect for the day. Not too long after she got through explaining, in walked Dr. Wong. He immediately sat down with me and also went over some things. Dr. Wong is a very nice, personable, calm, easy to talk to kind of guy. I felt very comfortable and even better about my decision. Dr. Wong set me up in my room and we started the surgery. He first took the strip from my donor area, numbed it up real good so I didn't feel anything. The numbing stung a little bit but nothing unbearable. Dr. Wong was always concerned about my comfort throughout the whole process. After the strip was cut, the nurses went to work on getting all my grafts in order. When the grafts were ready Dr. Wong made the incisions for where the grafts would go, and the nurses/assistants placed the grafts. It was a very efficient process. Before I knew it there were 3,4, sometimes 5 in the room working on my big old noggin! After a few hours, it was lunch time, and I was provided multiple menus from a few local restaurants to choose lunch provided by H&W. The food was great btw! Forgot to mention that I had a flat screen TV in front of me the whole time and I was provided some movie options or Netflix. I just watched Netflix the whole time, as there are some shows I like to watch so it gave me a chance to catch up on said shows. The rest of the day it was basically a back and forth where Dr. Wong would make a few hundred incisions and the assistants would place and so on and so forth. The transplant was completed at around 6PM, it was a long day for sure. When I was finished Dr. Wong got with me about what I need to do immediately following the surgery and over the next few months. I was given a packet of information and a care package with some essentials...antibiotics, shampoo, pillow cover etc. By the time I left the room I realized how many nurses and assistants and workers where there at that point. They are so well staffed and that's one of the reasons they can do these large megasesions. Everyone was so nice, professional and comforting, that's what I want to emphasize the most. I had a great experience and hopefully will get the results to match. Attached are some pictures from the day of before the procedure and after the procedure.

5b32e825088d1_CopyofDSCF0746.JPG.22d1ac0bf16c25ae86a83603d2a952dc.JPG

5b32e82521d90_CopyofDSCF0748.JPG.95ec071b081252c9db40d4a0ee32d8d5.JPG

5b32e82543c69_CopyofDSCF0753.JPG.750e8b02a4e017ff819be94e6787545f.JPG

5b32e8255228b_CopyofDSCF0878.JPG.669be89911eb5d51707c16980c8fcd95.JPG

5b32e8258a513_CopyofDSCF0882.JPG.89c5845ab013001251881718eb4cc6b8.JPG

5b32e82594db0_CopyofDSCF0885.JPG.acda074cef2b299392db5f6b93eee114.JPG

These pictures were taken 30 days after the procedure. There's still some crusting/scabbing, I feel I was a little too gentle/cautious but those scabs/crusts are gone now, they actually came off that day in the shower. I still do have alot of the grafted hair though. Only some has fallen out, I thought all of it was supposed to fall out. I feel like only about half of it has fallen out up to this point.

IMG_1319.jpg.9a9e02f5d6fa32afd206339b3bfcac20.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg.12c96d01f5d239d7e0915a413a885558.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg.4442816b6d98daa58ce612d75b23e892.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg.e7c2c04db9fabb29fdcbc0a8f6baebc4.jpg

Although most hairs do fall out/shed, there is no hard fast rule that they all do. Survey says 5% of patients will experience no shed. Some just anchor and start growing from day one.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yeah, I want to get the crown done and do a little on the temples and down the side if possible. I want to see how it looks when it grows in and just kind of go from there, but that's where my mind is now, crown and temple. Dr. Wong said in about 10 months I can come back and we can work on those areas.

• 1 month later...

These are my 2 month pics. I've been really busy this past week and haven't had a chance to upload them but these pics were taken a week ago at the 2 month mark. I'm seeing a lot of little red dots on myscalp, is that normal?

IMG_1380.jpg.1eb380f9a3767f90e58d3876c6cffcf7.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg.67c86d2ff177c4f43e0260d38279e9f3.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg.d8c7f97e9c5c1bc6c071f6b8165a6fff.jpg

These are my 2 month pics. I've been really busy this past week and haven't had a chance to upload them but these pics were taken a week ago at the 2 month mark. I'm seeing a lot of little red dots on myscalp, is that normal?

Yup, nothing to worry about mate, just the new hairs trying to break through

• 1 month later...

Citizenkage,

Difficult phase is over and you should start to get a positive change in the next month or so.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Citizen,

Thanks for updating your thread. After meeting you in person and seeing how little you had left on top this looks very encouraging at 3 months. Please keep us all updated.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Should be a sustantial change when this is grown out. Right now, you may not see much or it may be hard to guage. I see your starting point. Keep updating month to month and documenting. By month 12, there should be consistent yield and growh. Looking forward to your updates. Thank you for updating!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay on my 5 month pics, I was out of town for the holidays and really busy catching up on work when I got back. So, without further ado here are my 5 month pics. Thanks for the feedback and positive encouragement.

IMG_1603.thumb.jpg.901b1b67871bcc8dc4a5acb968278c9a.jpg

IMG_1601.thumb.jpg.8aa777c1197b86035ebbd58b7dae6154.jpg

IMG_1600.thumb.jpg.8f3114652cd6066241641a0c384cd796.jpg

IMG_1598.thumb.jpg.e50f3b21ac17f35b1a1b7d3b114fbdd2.jpg

Hey man, I was there 6 days after you! 5140 grafts! So similar hair loss and similar procedure at pretty much the same time.

I must say, great progress, it's growing pretty quickly.

I will post my pics at the end of the month (6 month mark), I'm sure you'll be interested in comparing

Did you have your donor area shaved down pre surgery? Just curious because it doesn't look like it from the photos but maybe I dont have the angle correct. I've seen most other mega session H&W and they seem to shave down the whole head to do the work so hence the question. Sounds like you wanted to go right back to work so maybe thats why they didnt do that for you.

It sounds like you didnt have much off time post surgery as you flew right back and went to work from 1st post. How was that for you? What did coworkers say etc as like you I had a lot of loss on top so unlike NW2/3 type you can't really hide the new grafts and changes!

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Citizenkage,

Thanks for the update things are growing in well. Please keep us all updated.

Thisguy- Shaving the donor area is a choice for the patient and not something we insist on. Quite often a patient will decide that as we are shaving the top we may as well shave the sides and back.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 3 weeks later...

Thisguy1- I decided not to shave down my whole head, my job allows me to wear a hat so nobody noticed the difference since I kept the hair on the sides and back. It would have been tough for me if not because I am very self-conscious. Thanks for the feedback everyone and David, emails incoming.

IMG_1712.thumb.jpg.20e3886fb03a6a10e75d9b18f3e1d107.jpg

IMG_1724.thumb.jpg.dc78dc5d771ca5c0c253a30e762c066e.jpg

IMG_1729.thumb.jpg.349318045a5f69017ec281db58432b1a.jpg

IMG_1730.thumb.jpg.602a6168e6e29849d863ced0ea190207.jpg