1036 graft FUE with Dr HASSON

Spidey

I can see both sides, being on the older young range (30) the way I see it, is that young men get surgery to look their age, older men get surgery to appear younger( generalization), there is a social dynamic in that statement, when I see 50 year old men getting surgery, I feel somewhat that it is more of a luxury as opposed to necessity in some cases for young men, I'm not going to downplay personal dilemmas with balding whether you're 18 or 60, I'm sure it sucks regardless, but we can not be blind to the social stigma that is associated with premature balding that's not viewed the same as slower progressive balding that occurs in the later parts of life. With that being said, I do see young guys get what I feel unnecessary surgeries, where a tiny bit of recession at the temples have occurred and this could be easily concealed with a different hairstyle. I did not choose to get surgery until my hairloss could no longer be concealed and I was essentially rock bottom.

Agreed on all of the above, as an even older young guy at 34 ;)

I almost went through with my procedure after consult #1 3 years ago but opted to suffer through it a little longer. I felt it was important to exercise patience even though my impulse was to end the mental suffering. It also forces you to look big picture.

Am I happy I waited? Mixed feelings. I suffered and lost a lot personally and mentally but its a good lesson to yourself as well. Rarely do you gain long term by acting impulsively or prematurely.

this subject is personal to me because I elected to get a HT in the early 90's when I was only in my early 20's - I had a full head of hair but was definitely "thinning" and receding at the hairline so it freaked me out. I jumped into a HT without knowing the implications - and quite frankly, I don't think the doctor/clinic was very ethical in performing the procedure, but I was obviously of age to consent. In any event, the grafts used in those days were "plugs", not single follicular units used today. As I got older, I continued to lose hair but the plugs at my hairline remained. To conceal the plugs and my disappearing hairline, I used quite the creative combovers, gels, hairsprays, etc. for DECADES until finally I had enough and did my research to correct the problem. My point being, I don't think any 20 year old should be getting a hair transplant - because you don't know what the next 10 or 20 years will be like for you. Fortunately, i'm in my mid 40's now, I'm not concerned with having a thick, full head of hair, just a natural, conservative appearance which is what I managed to achieve thanks to Dr. Rahal and his team. I just like to caution young guys - who like me - want to jump into getting a HT without being fully informed.

Just curious, is this general advice or particularly aimed at this case? Because as much as someone may say the OP "didn't need" to do anything, don't you think that at 33 years old with mild frontal loss this result (assuming/hoping it's a good one! :P) has every chance of standing the test of time? Provided it's supplemented by Fin/Min, ofc.

Naturally, none of us has a crystal ball and it's no sure thing but I would think that these are the types of procedures that are more likely to last. Maybe I'm completely wrong about that, I don't claim to be an expert.

I definitely balk at some of the surgeries that are done on here with 3-4k graft counts on people in their 20's and agree with your general sentiment but I would have thought this case was far more likely than average to last a good, long time?

As an aside (and certainly by no means addressing what you said Home) there seems to be a curious logic applied by some forum members as far as what is appropriate and what is not. I frequently see people cheer results/procedures that use very significant amounts of donor where the patient has pronounced loss AND is unwilling/unable to take medication. No doubt these cases often provide dramatic transformations but surely they are every bit as crazy (if indeed they are crazy) as the younger patients (there are myriad other examples of odd judgement but i won't list them all for the sake of everyone's eyes!).

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread and perhaps this is a discussion best had elsewhere but there is so much confirmation bias on this site that it becomes extremely difficult to sift a grain of truth from it all.

hey thanks for your reply - my response was simply my own advice based on my own personal experience, I never intend to judge anyone for when they decide to undergo a HT surgical procedure. I just warn the younger guys - based on my experience, that its much more serious that we all make it out to be. Its a life altering event, that if you jump into it lightly - as I did in my early 20's -uninformed as to future implications - it could be quite devastating as the years go by. Fortunately, there are great new techniques that can "fix" alot, but none of us should be wasting our lives "chasing" or "keeping up" with a hairline that we had in our 20's. Its un-natural and unrealistic.

• 3 weeks later...

Four months in. Lots of action. Hair from month 3 keep thickening on a daily basis. Lots of new fine hairs sprouting as well. Pictures are taken immediately after a hair cut. You can see the donor area looks great even with the hair cropped very short on the sides and back. Excited to see what month 5 and 6 have in store. The awkward stage is more or less in the books, imo.

back.jpg.7af45a49a4b973f8431a378a9409dd97.jpg

left.jpg.611074def5cdebc9aff86e9c546bba41.jpg

right.jpg.f6dbb5ca4f0b877f333da532e8e38e69.jpg

top.jpg.5898a495a33595ca1eb753ba801278ed.jpg

Edited by Spidey

• 5 weeks later...

Things keep improving. Noticeable increase of density since the 4 month mark. I can still see fine hairs sprouting so that is a good sign for even more things to come in the upcoming months. Even at this stage, this is more of a hairline I have had in years.

hairline.thumb.jpg.63c8ea2fc5e74bb4201fe0f6c310ff8b.jpg

left.thumb.jpg.8b0f89b4f393f7e595993bbe828d44dd.jpg

left2.thumb.jpg.78bd2df454742f14dd2ea32c18ab63b9.jpg

right.thumb.jpg.7dd2a302a11de77e426085e8316a1aa9.jpg

right2.thumb.jpg.00c526d3ce4eacb48e1ebcbb08991319.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I guess there is a new FUE hairline king clinic in town

To be able to style your hair like that at month 5 means a new life experience for you!

CONGRATULATIONS SPIDEY AND H&W

Hasson has always been a hairline King. Like I've said previously - Dr Hasson is a bad man! Very very good result so far, nice to see such a positive result from that clinic in one of their inaugural FUE procedures, and looking forward to many more.

• 2 weeks later...

The 6 month milestone.

I am pretty happy with the progress so far. There are some weak spots that I hope will thicken up in the next couple of months. The new hair is still a bit wirey/crinkly compared to the rest of the hair. The length of the new hairs are also shorter than the rest of my hair.

You can still see some fine hairs that can only be seen if you zoom in on the picture so hopefully those thicken up and increase the overall density. The pictures are with the hair under fluorescent lighting, no flash, no hair product.

front.thumb.jpg.74b58aa64eca1f5ddd56d868cb4b4183.jpg

left.thumb.jpg.b7cb55a2103a91d81991f8117bddcc27.jpg

left3.thumb.jpg.6a90a9feb2474fd0a2d6a41464a7025b.jpg

right.thumb.jpg.054704fedd730d713a97e94a343b99cc.jpg

right2.thumb.jpg.282feef0dca40c2324ae43ca52cc355a.jpg

Spidey - even if see nothing further you look great, congrats on an amazing 6 month checkpoint. I remember some earlier comments saying you were crazy to try FUE with an unproven H&W. You are testament they can do a great job.

• 3 weeks later...
So how much does a FUE versus a FUT hurt post-op???

And I mean 1 to 2 weeks afterwards

I can't comment on the comparison as I never had FUT. For my experience with FUE, the only pain I felt was a slight headache post op that lasted about a day or two. There were tender spots that were about an inch in size in about one or two areas in the donor area, but that didn't last very long either... Nothing that was very noticeable. All in all, I never really thought of the donor area after about a week except for the itch!! (that lasted about 2-3 months).

• 3 weeks later...

7 months in. Hairs denser than the 6 month mark. They are still pretty wirey/crinky in texture. I am very pleased at this point. The pictures I have taken are me straight out of bed with no product in my hair and the worst possible lighting (as I have tried to consistently do with all my pics). The last pic is generally how it really looks in avg/normal lighting. If I am not lazy, I will take some pictures with my hair styled.

I am not sure if I will see any further results other than the change in hair texture, although there are some pimples that may mean some late bloomers.

Next update won't be until the 9 or 10 month mark.

front.thumb.jpg.99fa29c56001c0efdd735285a365ac56.jpg

left.thumb.jpg.c92f75d6726e71b7142592a3542c8d43.jpg

left2.thumb.jpg.0b921d7225b23aa676b26b314d1e6a91.jpg

right.thumb.jpg.4f86ab701f10bd8ebeb7aa2bfb1377e2.jpg

right2.thumb.jpg.5db038d664296a24376fb2510364b12f.jpg

left3.thumb.jpg.29604e69f2b23c7307ca7165b7dddf88.jpg

It is in the eye of the beholder and for me, my age is the reason why I wanted to get it done.... If I was in my forties and started to recede, I honestly would not do anything. Being younger, I want to enjoy my "younger" days looking the way I feel. If my recession progress in a few years, so be it... I feel with the rate of my recession, I will be able to enjoy the new hairline for up to, and hopefully at least 10 years... If that happens, I will be very happy. Only time will tell. If my hair starts to recede at the rate it has been for the last 7 years, I should be in a good place... If it has or does slow down, even better...

Good for you man. Make the most of your youth. I finally got a ht last wk and I'm 45. I didn't need one until I was around 40. Although I slowly thinned out the last 20 yrs I didn't look like I was balding til the last three yrs. all these guys who are older and say wait should really take into consideration how much ht technology has changed. Every hair transplant dr I've consulted w frim this forum has a 6 month waiting list so the industry is thriving. Less than 1% of people who have ht post on this forum about it.

Good for you man. Make the most of your youth. I finally got a ht last wk and I'm 45. I didn't need one until I was around 40. Although I slowly thinned out the last 20 yrs I didn't look like I was balding til the last three yrs. all these guys who are older and say wait should really take into consideration how much ht technology has changed. Every hair transplant dr I've consulted w frim this forum has a 6 month waiting list so the industry is thriving. Less than 1% of people who have ht post on this forum about it.

Very true. Have you only consulted with the Drs in Europe, or in North America as well? When I booked with HW, they were able to get me in pretty promptly, but maybe it was just timing seeing that Dr Wong and Dr Hasson tour the world year round.