Electronic cigarette after a hair transplant?

bigwilly1234jj,

This is a great question given that electronic cigarettes are increasing in popularity and are considered a less harmful alternative to traditional cigarettes.

Risks to general health aside, when it comes to healing after a surgical procedure it's the nicotine and not the smoke that is the greatest concern. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor which is to say that it causes blood vessels to constrict, thereby restricting blood flow and impeding the delivery of oxygen to the tissue.

This, of course, has the potential to harm the newly transplanted grafts and affect hair growth.

I'm not aware of any studies conducted on the effects of smoking on hair transplant patients and I have no statistics to offer. I can also say that I've heard a number of guys state that they continued to smoke after surgery with no ill effects.

Having hair transplant surgery is a huge investment in money and time and I believe that most would recommend that anyone quit smoking at least temporarily for a period of time after surgery.

Hope this helps!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I smoked after surgery and I now vape.

I haven't seen any proof that smoking hurts a HT. However I plan on not smoking or vaping on my next procedure.

That said, there is just no proof that this is damaging to a HT. The head is very vascular.

But, smoking is bad, it or not.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

IMHO, anything that constricts the vascular system is not good for the grafts nor our general health for the obvious reasons.

In all honesty, I smoked real cigs after all 4 of my HT procedures and the regrowth was fine. So I think ecigs would be less toxic and harmful. Just my opinion.

Yet it is possible to quit as hard as it can seem to be. You just have to want to quit enough to have success with it...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 years later...

If you talked about cigarettes, that would be a bad idea, but I’m sure that electronic cigarettes will definitely not harm you and you should not worry. Vape is a completely safe device if you use high-quality liquids from reliable brands. For example, once my friend really got poisoned by liquid from vape because he used low-quality liquid and bought it for 10 bucks. This is so stupid. After the poisoning, he took a pause in smoking and then began to use only high-quality vape liquids and started then Buy Vape Liquid UK. After this he doesn't encounter any problems. So do not worry!

Edited by ypspidsi

The bottom line is that smoking constricts the blood vessels and reduces the oxygen supply to our blood resulting in hypoxia...it also compromises the healing process...any medical professional will tell you that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY