Bad first consultation experience at Advanced Hair Restoration Bellevue

Mav1729

Hi Guys,

I have been considering getting a hair transplant for a couple of months now. I am 30years old, close to Norwood 5A. And I am located in the Bellevue Seattle area. I wanted to share my first consultation experience with you guys at Advanced Hair Restoration Bellevue.

Few days ago, I called AHR Bellevue and booked an appointment with a consultant named Joel. I specifically asked him to schedule a time when I could also meet the doctor (Dr Barry Weiss). He scheduled me for Monday evening at 5pm, which was a little strange because he told me the doctor usually stays till 7pm. Anyway, I went for my appointment and I met with Joel who immediately started telling me you need the laser-cap and you need Propecia and Minoxidil 2 minutes into the conversation. I read a lot of articles and they recommend going to a doctor who uses densitometer to measure your scalp laxity, density, miniaturization etc. He did none of that and just started making recommendations.

I asked him that I wanted to see the doctor and he told me why would the doctor be around! ? Its 5 pm. The he told me that I was a Norwood 5A and would need about 2400 grafts to cover the front and mid sections. He kept on insisting that I buy the laser hat which would help keep existing hair in the front and mid areas and use Propecia and Minioxidil to keep hairs in the crown.

He then told me that if you wanted to get the full hair restored it would be 3600 grafts which would be done in 2 sessions. And they would need to use FUE for that because you cannot harvest more than 2400 grafts using an FUT.

I asked him if the doctor uses Single bladed knife to excise a donor strip. The answer was no and that they use a double bladed knife. Now I don't know the significance of that but during my research I read on WebMd that this is one of the questions to ask when selecting a Hair Transplant surgeon and that the answer should be Yes.

Lastly I asked him to give me contact details and info of ex-patients and he told me that I should see the doctor first since I don't know anything!

I think there were quite a few red flags during my meeting and I am just not sure that was it me or is the experience always like this ?

Based on my above conversation I wanted to get opinion on some of the points above :

1. Does propecia and Rogaine work only on crown areas? And in what cases is the laser hat recommended?

2. If you want to go over 2400 grafts, can this not be done using an FUT?

3. Why does WebMd recommend that doctor's use single bladed knife for excising donor strip?

4. Did you guys also feel that the consultant was being a bit evasive or was it just me?

I would love to hear opinions from you guys.

Cheers!

The propecia/minoxidil part I agree with it should help but it's your decision. The part about no more than 2400 via fut is a joke though,that I believe might be considered a small fut session,lot of guys on here with 4000+ fut procedures,you should feel comfortable during consultations and even more comfortable when choosing your surgeon and it doesn't sound like you were,nothing wrong with visiting multiple surgeons and getting different opinions

Hey buddy, there really only should one mav, but you can be Goose or Iceman if you want!

If in the Seattle area, I strongly recommend consulting with Hasson & Wong in Vancuaver. They are one of the best HT surgeons for FUT on the planet, and can easily do mega-sessions in excess of 4,000 grafts.

You need to get to Hasson & Wong immediately. Avoid AHR at all costs. Also, consult with Dr. Steven Gable. He's one of the best transplant docs in the country and is based in Portland; however, he regularly conducts consults in Seattle.

You have three top-notch doctors within a 3 hour drive; there is no reason to get butchered at AHR.

:cool: win200 speaks the truth!

Ha! I try. This one's really a no-brainer, though.

And to OP, keep us posted on your progress. I'm from Seattle, too, and it's really surprising that we don't have a top-notch hair doc in our region. But Gabel and H&W are among the very, very best, so consider your self lucky. I've met Victor Hasson and Steve Gabel both, and they're outstanding guys. Gabel in particular has been extraordinarily generous with his time, and he's an outstanding guy--as honest and thoughtful as they come. Really can't say enough positive things.

1. Does propecia and Rogaine work only on crown areas? And in what cases is the laser hat recommended?

Propecia and Rogaine work good in most area but usually better in the crown. I have done Laser in the past and the only difference I found was in my pocket book

2. If you want to go over 2400 grafts, can this not be done using an FUT?

As a poster said before 2400 is considered a smaller session. The doctor will look at what is possible, what you need, where your future hairloss will be and if you are taking meds. I was there a few years back to assist an Italian patient that received 9200+ grafts.

3. Why does WebMd recommend that doctor's use single bladed knife for excising donor strip?

Single bladed knife is a lot better than double. This will give you less transection and a better scar.

4. Did you guys also feel that the consultant was being a bit evasive or was it just me?

A good consultation should know what there competitors offer. I am sure he knew what is right and important and didn't have the proper answer for you. So I would say he was being evasive.

Good luck!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson