Let's Discuss Texas Area Doctors

Speegs

Exchange rate is immaterial to the point I was trying to make. I wasn't looking at total cost for treatment in the US v. total cost in Europe. Of course, when you factor in a transatlantic flight, hotel stay, food, AND a weak US dollar, the total cost of the treatment would increase. Whether the increased expenses in traveling overseas can be offset by a cheaper surgery (like, say in Thailand, Brazil, or maybe Europe) is another discussion.

Regardless, the costs associated with travel and exchange rates are personal to the individual, and do not have any bearing on the prices charged by a physician. A doctor being paid in Euros won't care if the exchange rate is favorable or unfavorable to a US patient, his profit margin on the surgery remains the same regardless. The doctors in Europe set their prices based upon what they deem reasonable and profitable for them. The question is why what is reasonable and profitable in Europe is so dramatically different from the United States? I haven't been to Europe in 10 years, but if things are cheaper there across the board, then you have your answer. However, if prices for other goods and services are comparable to the US, it does make you wonder.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pretty good spread of recommendations now.

Dr. Arocha - 3500

Dr. Barerra - 1500

Dr. Limmer - 1500 (via pics)

Dr. Shapiro - 2500 (via pics by consultant)

Dr. Wong - 2500-3000 (via pics)

I was told by one center(I wont say which) that packing 3500 in my case is a bit of overkill and a waste of graphs. I will post pics later and get the forum's opinion.

This is my conjecture at this point w/o seeing pics yet, but I'm willing to put my sheer speculation to the test icon_smile.gif -- I'd bet the next 10 of my paychecks that the SMG and H+W recco's will be close to optimal, and that 1500 would leave you sorely lacking. Huge discrepancy in graft recommendations (which is the norm, not the exception). Get those pics up!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I'm blown away by the differences in estimates of grafts by the different physicians. Your list is a good one, and I'm of the belief that all of the doctors want you to be satisfied with your result. That being the case, you have to assume that all of these doctors believe that the number of grafts they estimated would be sufficient for you to achieve satisfaction.

I personally would toss out the high and low estimates and settle somewhere in the middle. You can always get more grafts placed, but if you place too many of a finite supply in a given area, you may pay the consequences when future loss occurs.

That's a good way to look at it TC17. I'm at work right now and can't post pics but will do so tomorrow on a seperate thread. I want you guys' advice.

Dr. Rahal also emailed me back recommending 2000-2500. The main difference with him was the price. It was dirt cheap and ended up being around $3.40 per graft after his 10% discount up to $1000 for air travel and hotel stay. Of course, H&W also covers hotel and a percentage of air fare but has a different pricing structure.

Dr. Arocha's recommendation was definitely the most aggressive at 3500. His exact words were "I can give you a full head of hair".

Speaking with the SMG consultant suggesting 2500, he seemed to suggest more would be put in my top vertex and less in the lower crown which I would compensate for by adding Topix, or Pro Thick. He said I would want to save as many grafts as possible for future work on my hairline if I needed it. However, I'm not really interested in hairline work. I have temple loss, but I don't really want a 17 year old's hairline and am fine with the way it is. And my hair loss has been almost neglible for the last 14 years.

I'm more interested in the crown area because of the scalp reductions. Its not a horseshoe pattern. It's triangular with scars on the edges. So adding a bit of hair to the crown and using concealer is not really what I'm after. I can do that right now without the transplants.

Re: Speegs' boy, the esteemed McGrath --> http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/615102613

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Hah! I was about to post that but thana preceeded me.

Very disturbing indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Haven't gotten any work done, had to buy a new vehicle recently and it has delayed my decision. I was leaning toward Dr. Alexander but can't afford the 10,000 dollar for 2500 price tag at the moment after buying and insuring a new vehicle in this economy.

i was ultimately turned off by all Texas doctors, I thought McGrath was honest but ultimately underwhelming because 1500 or in the asian gentleman's case 1000 is not significant enough to tackle noticeable hairloss that is in the norwood 3 range.

What would take McGrath 2 surgeries could be done in one so I lost interest.

I'm under the impression that the hair transplant industry is in a little bit of desperation because of the economy at present, I've gotten some aggressive follow ups from Dr.Puig and Hair Club and even from McGrath's consultant.

I'd rather wait until I can afford Alexander and do it right, but boy is my hair loss in the frontal zone getting frustrating to look at.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Good to see you're going about it all soundly and surely....Alexander does fine work, and his hairlines, particularly, get a lot of accolades and fanfair! If you're somewhat/very diffuse def look into concealers (nanogen, e.g.); many (including myself) will swear by them.

-----------

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Good to see you're going about it all soundly and surely....Alexander does fine work, and his hairlines, particularly, get a lot of accolades and fanfair! If you're somewhat/very diffuse def look into concealers (nanogen, e.g.); many (including myself) will swear by them.

Wouldn't work unfortunately as i have receding hailine and thinning forelock, I can brush my hair forward and disguise it but that's about it.

I look like jude law.

http://images.broadwayworld.co...d/40727/jude-law.jpg

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 4 years later...

Just thought I would add my opinion and share my perspective from Houston. I interviewed all of the surgeons in Houston. Probably my favorite was Dr, Arocha, though his prices were too steep for me to be able to afford.

I got in with a group who was going on a medical trip to Guadalajara and had my first round with Dr, Sergio Aquilo-Bimba. He did approximately 2000 rounds. The price was amazingly reasonable and a good choice for the first round.

My hair is very fine, which makes restoration a challenge. 18 months later I went to see Dr. Carlos Puig. I have been quite pleased with the results. The first surgeon created a hairline, but was not really able to fill it in completely. So he did some correction on it and also filled in more. He also said that he guaranteed his results.

A year later I was mostly pleased with the results but pointed out one area that seemed not to have done well. He stood behind his guarantee and I took the opportunity to have some additional work done.

I should also mention that I started Finasteride 5 mg about 9 months before my first surgery. Under Dr. Puig I added Minoxidil and laser comb treatment. It is my firm belief that none of these nonsurgical treatments alone will be very effective. But the combination of them does indeed produce results.

All told I have done approximately 4500 grafts. They have all been on my hairline with a bit of blending back. My thin spot on my crown is filled in with only a small bit of thinning noticeable.

As far as Dr. Puig, I found him to be very good. His staff has been very courteous and the procedures have been very comfortable. The follow-up procedures were excellent. Although things are a bit unorganized in the office, I found Dr. Puig to be a person of great integrity. So I am pleased with the results.

If anyone is interested I can post pictures.

The words "Dr. Carlos Puig" and "integrity" do not belong in the same paragraph. Dr. Puig is infamous, he is someone who has left a trail of broken lives in his wake from his disfiguring surgeries. He was putting rows of plugs in low hairlines on Norwood 7's back in the 80's.

Anyone with an ability to type his name into a Google search bar should run for the hills at the first page of search results.