Let's Discuss Texas Area Doctors

Speegs

Speegs, if you have any doubts about how amazing "megasesions" are -- and 2500 is *not* even a megasession -- just look at the 2500+ graft cases that get rolled out daily with the highest degrees of transparency and excellence by multiple clinics (H+W, Feller, SMG, et. al.).

Same thing for megasessions that involve "densepacking" -- Rahal, e.g. -- densepacks to awesome degrees and the density and result achieved is consistently magnificent.

The proof is in the pudding, the pudding takes skill, and not everyone can make it.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Speegs, if you have any doubts about how amazing "megasesions" are -- and 2500 is *not* even a megasession -- just look at the 2500+ graft cases that get rolled out daily with the highest degrees of transparency and excellence by multiple clinics (H+W, Feller, SMG, et. al.).

Same thing for megasessions that involve "densepacking" -- Rahal, e.g. -- densepacks to awesome degrees and the density and result achieved is consistently magnificent.

The proof is in the pudding, the pudding takes skill, and not everyone can make it.

I appreciate your opinion but i am looking for medical facts and opinions and not simply thumbs up enthusiasm from posters, i don't mean that disrespectfully, but i need more to look at then simply "trust me it works", I want the details of technique and how it is able to perform with greater result and without detriment to the grafts. I just want some clear answers on the matter.

For instance this is the opinion Dr.Limmer emailed to me, and he is a member of this forum and coalition:

While many patients can do fine with 50+ grafts sq. cm you increase the possibility of poor growth, prolong/permanent pinkness (neovascularization) and ridging (scar tissue formation beneath the grafted zone). Also, for many 40 grafts/cm2 is reasonable and decreases the risk of post op shock loss of existing hair.

Finally, with less risk you can always go back and do an additional pass if needed.

Those are not just my opinion, but also plain fact born out of seeing what happens with higher and higher densities of planting. Complications might not always occur, but when they do it is a problem. So I try to avoid this happening.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

By the way your hair looks very nice, 3000 grafts your blog says. So 1500-2000 may well be enough for me as i am a little less advanced than you were before the procedure. Were you a 3a or a 4a preop? I'm a regular 3 at the moment.

Dude, I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm asking you to trust your own eyes. The efficacy of megasessions and densepacking is about as definitively proven as 2+2='ing 4. In fact, don't trust me; just keep up researching and don't settle for less (literally and figuratively) until you've done your due diligence. If you want the "the details" it's out there -- go consult w/ some of the elites who pump out superlative results by way of megasession like clockwork: Rahal, Hasson&Wong, Feller, SMG/Shapiro, Cooley, et. al.

Thx re: hair. I'm not sure if I was a 3a or 4a pre-op; different people would say different things. Prolly a very diffuse 3-4. The NW scale is really narrow and a bit arbitrary, though, especially for people who don't clearly fall within its very define lines. I also had very favorable hair charachteristics, which is important.

edit -- btw, only since you mentioned Limmer...but I'm almost positive he does "megasessions" in the ~3k range. The issue of densepacking to a fault is a seperate matter from megasession success. It's equally proven, however, and it's mainly an issue of appropriateness to the patient. It can often just be inappropriately unnecessary for the patient, especially a younger one, in achieving the goal. Take into account hair charachteristcs, native hair, and the density /cm being implanted and you can get a great idea as to what kind of result you can be looking at.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

speegs...you get a better deal with hasson and wong...they do 5 dollars per graft for the first two thousand then 3 dollars per graft after that...they will pay for your airfare and put you up in a hotel...go look at their results and don't limit your search just because you are in texas...i live in tennessee researched for years...flew to canada to get it done and couldn't be happier with the experience...you would be very narrow in scope to limit your doctors by location...hasson and wong have a sight that shows a ton of pictures and videos...imo...they are the best at revealing exactly what they do and their results.

no pain no gain

speegs...i am not discrediting any doctor on here, but you can't always believe everything you hear from a doctor...there is something motivating doctors...MONEY...some less than others.

you talk about enthusiastic posters on this site who are motivated only by helping others not make the wrong first decision.

hasson and wong, feller, shapiro, and rahal...don't book anything until you have spoken and seen the results of these doctors.

no pain no gain

While many people on this forum repeat the adage "don't let location be a factor", the truth is that location is a factor for many people. That is why Pat travels all over the world trying to find doctors in different parts so that you can receive a world class transplant closer to home. I've spent quite some time doing research and I like doctor's in Canada, Brazil, Europe, Thailand, and the United States. But, I can assure you that when I'm finally ready to take the plunge, I will be visiting a doctor closer to me. I see nothing wrong with choosing a doctor based upon location provided that he is equal in your eyes to a doctor located 2,000 miles away. Although post op complications are rare, I do not want to be far from my doctor in the off chance that some do occur. There is something to be said about being able to drive or take a very short flight to your doctor if the need arises.

Personally, I really like Dr. Arocha's work and believe that as he becomes more of a presence on this forum he will be mentioned in the same breath as the more popular names. He is a bit more expensive than the other doctor's though, and if cost outweighs your desire to stay closer to home then certainly look at other physicians.

Again, I think that location and price are factors to consider if you are comfortable with the work of the doctor. If you are only comfortable with a doctor who performs in Antarctica, I would say pack a coat and hop a flight, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to say closer to home.

go for it buddy...let us know how it turns out when you get it done! you seem to be pumping this dr. up a bunch...do you work for him?

i don't know if you heard me or not but the airfare is FREE...that is F.R.E.E. and so is the hotel...F.R.E.E. so if you are not afraid of flying then location shouldn't be a factor.

put a disclaimer on the bottom of your posts..

"i am a paid patient coordinator for dr. arocha"

no pain no gain

rosopeeco,

Despite what you think, there are a number of first-rate highly esteemed doctors other than the 3 doctors you seem to peddle on just about every discussion thread.

I have no reason to believe TC17 is a paid advocate of Dr. Arocha and thus, just because he believes Dr. Arocha does ultra refined work (as do I), doesn't mean he works for the clinic. Oddly enough, if I didn't know any better, one could make the same argument that you work for Hasson and Wong since you're usually pumping them up.

Frankly, the members of this community have every right to challenge your notion that there are only 3 good clinics in the entire world. Pat and I work extremely hard to ensure surgeons we recommend are doing only the best work.

What review process do you use to prescreen doctors? Have you visited dozens of clinics worldwide and observed them in live surgery like Pat has? Have you spent countless hours on the phone with doctors learning about their technique, philosophy, experience, and qualifications like I have? Other than being a satisfied hair transplant patient, what knowledge do you have of the procedure, the varying philsophies of doctors, the technical specifics, etc?

Dr. Arocha in particular was just recently approved for the highly esteemed Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians and has been recommended for the last year and a half. See the Potential Coalition Membership for Dr. Bernardino Arocha for more information. Dr. Arocha has proved himself over the last year and a half that his results are ultra refined and that he indeed meets our high standards for the Coalition.

You have every right to believe in your doctor. But you don't have the right to disrespect our members or their opinions.

Frankly, I think you ought to re-evaluate your position and develop a respect for the work we put into prescreening doctors.

Best Regards,

Bill

And another thing...

You came onto this forum brand new only this month offering to speak with patient members to offer them free advice. Whereas this certainly sounds like a nice offer, nobody knows you, and as far as everyone is concerned, you are a newbie here.

You're not going to make a lot of friends in this community if you alienate them and their opinions. It also doesn't help that you hold a narrow-minded view on which clinics are actually performing quality work.

I encourage you to do some more research and see the hard work we've put into this community and prescreening physicians. I think if you open your eyes, you will see that there are dozens of physicians doing ultra refined work with excellent results.

Best Regards,

Bill

Thank you Bill. I wasn't going to respond, so I am pleased that you did so on behalf of myself and all other physicians who are performing top notch results.

Originally posted by TC17:

While many people on this forum repeat the adage "don't let location be a factor", the truth is that location is a factor for many people. That is why Pat travels all over the world trying to find doctors in different parts so that you can receive a world class transplant closer to home. I've spent quite some time doing research and I like doctor's in Canada, Brazil, Europe, Thailand, and the United States. But, I can assure you that when I'm finally ready to take the plunge, I will be visiting a doctor closer to me. I see nothing wrong with choosing a doctor based upon location provided that he is equal in your eyes to a doctor located 2,000 miles away. Although post op complications are rare, I do not want to be far from my doctor in the off chance that some do occur. There is something to be said about being able to drive or take a very short flight to your doctor if the need arises.

Personally, I really like Dr. Arocha's work and believe that as he becomes more of a presence on this forum he will be mentioned in the same breath as the more popular names. He is a bit more expensive than the other doctor's though, and if cost outweighs your desire to stay closer to home then certainly look at other physicians.

Again, I think that location and price are factors to consider if you are comfortable with the work of the doctor. If you are only comfortable with a doctor who performs in Antarctica, I would say pack a coat and hop a flight, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to say closer to home.

Have you had any work done? Are you Texas based?

being a newbie has nothing to do with anything...i will continue to peddle hasson and wong, feller, and shapiro...i am sure there are other top notch surgeons...i don't spend all day researching every surgeon in the world...i have a career...the doctors i peddle have proven results time after time after time...their patients are easily accessible on this forum and others.

if you didn't run this board and had to pick the top three or four doctors in the world, who would it be????

i understand that you can't do such a thing because you are here to represent many doctors across the world and it would seem counter productive to your goals...so who would you rank as the top three or four surgeons in the world.

stop attacking me for wanting people to make a good decision concerning their future...i peddle three or four doctors on here so i won't seem to be pushing the doctor i went to...i have watched this site for years...i didn't feel the need to post until i actually had the surgery done...i didn't need to ask many questions to make my decision...i couldn't help others without first having the procedure done so this is why i am here now as a "newbie".

you question my intentions...now that is laughable...i recommend three doctors always so not to seem like i am pushing one doctor...how many people paid for representing one surgeon recommend other surgeons just as frequently...that statement is ludicrous.

nobody is questioning your research and due diligence...frankly i understand the reason why you try to find more and more qualified doctors to be represented on this forum...there is nothing wrong with wanting to expand your research, recommendations, and future revenue streams...if you only represented a handful of surgeons then the forum might not be as big as it is...maybe it is counter productive for the sake of the patients to keep adding an ever increasing list of potential doctors to the list of recommended surgeons...i know that all the surgeons you recommend don't have the same level of results...there are doctors on your list that are better than other doctors and i don't think you can deny that fact...just because there is a stamp of approval placed by your research doesn't mean that the doctors are exactly equal in their results.

no pain no gain

where did you get your third procedure done Bill...why did you pick that particular surgeon??

did you pick him because you thought he was the best at what he does or did you pick him because he was local?

no pain no gain

Roscopeeco,

You're missing the point entirely. Share your opinion, but be respectful of others and don't try to push an agenda. Agendas become clear when you continuously try to beat them over the head with your suggestions as if your opinion is the only correct one.

i am sure there are other top notch surgeons...i don't spend all day researching every surgeon in the world...

Then how can you comment on whether or not Dr. Arocha or any other doctor does quality work? Since you've just clearly stated your ignorance when it comes to other doctors, you have no business criticizing other members for giving other elite doctors the accolates they deserve.

I don't have a problem with you suggesting doctors to consider. In fact, I agree with your assessment of the 3 (now 4) clinics you mentioned, that they are indeed doing first-rate work.

But I do have a problem with you insulting other's for giving their genuine opinions by accusing them of being shills for other well respected clinics.

Offer your opinion, but be respectful of others.

If I have to warn you again, you will be suspended for a week as I've clearly stated on the featured thread "Keeping Personal Insults Off Our Forum - Respect is Required.

Best Regards,

Bill

i wish you would answer who you thought were the top three surgeons in the world...you say that i have an agenda? if you can't answer that honestly then who actually has the agenda?

no pain no gain

i wasn't even going to mention this about the texas doctor, but you called into question my reason for suggesting someone else...he was associated with MHR and actually did his fellowship in 2002 with them...i personally do not like the work of MHR and would consider training under their umbrella a reflection on what the results they accomplished.

no pain no gain

you accused me of having an agenda...we will agree to disagree...i personally think there are three surgeons that stand above all and you think there are many more...i will leave it at that.

no pain no gain

roscopeeco,

i wish you would answer who you thought were the top three surgeons in the world...you say that i have an agenda? if you can't answer that honestly then who actually has the agenda?

The funny thing is, you don't realize how ignorant this question really is. This is a question newbies ask that don't yet understand the multitude of considerations in selecting a surgeon.

But I'm done arguing with you. If you continue with your accusations and disrespect, you will be suspended.

Bill

rosocpeeco,

I didn't call you ignorant, I said the question was.

There are way too many factors to consider to objectively declare a "best" surgeon. Those with significant knowledge of hair transplant surgery know this.

If you'd like to continue talking about this, send me a private message. Any additional posts about this will be deleted since this thread is now way off the beaten path.

Bill

If someone lets there top 3-5 decided by the amount of pictures a clinic or doctor post's on this forum then it is very easy to see why H&W, Feller, SMG, etc are considered the top choices, but if you are a long time lurker or poster here and you really pay attention you come to realize that there are quite a few more surgeons that deserve just as much recognition as the previous 3 mentioned. Alexander, Konior, Gabel, Keene, Tykocinski, Cooley, Lindsey,Nakatsui,Farjo,Arocha, and T&D are all surgeons that I would more than consider.

This post was not aimed at anyone in paticular!