3,900 grafts Norwood 6/7 Dr. Diep

• Administrators
HTsoon,

Your results look incredible I am really happy for you it feels good to kick balding doesn't it. As you have not had any grafts placed towards the back of the scalp and this area looks thicker too did you have a good reaction to meds? Apologies if I missed you state this earlier.

Do you have any plans to address the crown or do you think you are going to enjoy your results for now.

Thanks Garageland coming from you that means a lot I've read your story and it's amazing your results. I actually had two procedures so the midscalp was done 2 years ago and then I had my hairline done in July 2015, but I do think I've responded well to lipogaine, I switched from the generic minoxidil foam to lipogaine shortly after my second procedure and I do feel like everything has thickened up well and my midscalp improved since then.

I've thought about doing my crown, but I think I should do my lateral humps first, there's also some areas of my midscalp that aren't as dense, maybe I should thicken those two areas first, the crown really doesn't bother me to be honest, what do you think since you're similar hairloss pattern and more of a veteran I'd love to hear your thoughts on this?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
Great result HTsoon, you think if you had not used Lipogaine the growth would have been this thick?.

Yes I think my hairline would be just as thick, I think lipogaine helped in my midscalp and conserving my crown.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
Do you ever plan to stop using lipogaine?, I mean after say your crown transplant, may be go drug free for few months and see what happens?

No not really, it's working great for me and since I can't take finasteride due to side effects I better be on something to at least maintain what I have, especially since I'm only 30, maybe when I'm 50 I'll stop or hopefully there'll be something else on the market, but until then I'm sticking to nizoral 2%, lipogaine and dermaroller, I'm also thinking of throwing topical fin in to the mix.

View my thread

Thanks Garageland coming from you that means a lot I've read your story and it's amazing your results. I actually had two procedures so the midscalp was done 2 years ago and then I had my hairline done in July 2015, but I do think I've responded well to lipogaine, I switched from the generic minoxidil foam to lipogaine shortly after my second procedure and I do feel like everything has thickened up well and my midscalp improved since then.

I've thought about doing my crown, but I think I should do my lateral humps first, there's also some areas of my midscalp that aren't as dense, maybe I should thicken those two areas first, the crown really doesn't bother me to be honest, what do you think since you're similar hairloss pattern and more of a veteran I'd love to hear your thoughts on this?

Well it looks great and you have worked out that high Norwoods do need to style their hair which of course is made much easier by having good density to style. Getting the hair length right and styling it is essential for all NW5-6s you can't just jump out of bed and expect it too look great it does take some effort on their part. It took me several years to work out how best to wear my hair after surgery.

My advice would be lead on how much you have left in your donor some patients have naturally loose scalps I have seen many patients that have had 5000 plus grafts and the laxity is much better than some virgin scalps. It makes perfect sense for these patients to go the FUT route again. In many cases it comes down to head shape and size and I can normally tell what someones laxity is like now by looking at their head not always but often.

I do think that just putting very low density into a crown is questionable as to whether that is more beneficial than having a bald spot. Sure you can add some toppik and get it looking ok but unless you have the type of hair that lays flat when the density is low and there is some length to the hair it catches much easier in the wind, been there and lived that. It depends on what your crown looks like as to what you should do.

In my situation I would like some more hair in my crown, Dr Hasson only gave this a light covering in 2006 to hide the mini and micro grafts that were placed in the nineties it made the area look natural but the density would ideally be higher.

When I went for my second surgery (fifth in total) with Dr Hasson in 2013 his advice was to put whatever we had in the front, he was right and I am glad I listened to him. We got 1755 grafts, I don't have a naturally loose scalp due to my head shape and size, I have a larger than average head. I am considering some FUE scalp and beard hair at some stage later in the year. I will put these into the crown in a postion where I can give coverage to both the upper and lower parts.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

HTsoon,

I did write you a reply a couple of days ago but it went into moderation and has not been posted since hopefully it will be up soon!

---

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

No not really, it's working great for me and since I can't take finasteride due to side effects I better be on something to at least maintain what I have, especially since I'm only 30, maybe when I'm 50 I'll stop or hopefully there'll be something else on the market, but until then I'm sticking to nizoral 2%, lipogaine and dermaroller, I'm also thinking of throwing topical fin in to the mix.

I just bought some topical fin from Wesley's office. I have used it in the past before (dr. Lee xandrox) and it was really effective without any sides. hopefully lightning strikes twice for me.

• Administrators
HTsoon,

I did write you a reply a couple of days ago but it went into moderation and has not been posted since hopefully it will be up soon!

Ahh I hate when that happens, i'm keeping an eye out for it, im really interested to read what you have to say.

I just bought some topical fin from Wesley's office. I have used it in the past before (dr. Lee xandrox) and it was really effective without any sides. hopefully lightning strikes twice for me.

Do you buy it in a months supply or 3 month supply and how much does it cost?

View my thread

I think its 45 per bottle. I bought one bottle to see if I got any sides. you should email the office and confirm the price. he also has a few different topicals that you should look into. I wrote in another thread that the most effective thing I ever used was dr lee's xandrox which was 15% minox, 0.01 fin and it had some aleaic (spelling) acid. I didn't get any sides from that at all. too bad the fda shut him down.

• Administrators
Well it looks great and you have worked out that high Norwoods do need to style their hair which of course is made much easier by having good density to style. Getting the hair length right and styling it is essential for all NW5-6s you can't just jump out of bed and expect it too look great it does take some effort on their part. It took me several years to work out how best to wear my hair after surgery.

My advice would be lead on how much you have left in your donor some patients have naturally loose scalps I have seen many patients that have had 5000 plus grafts and the laxity is much better than some virgin scalps. It makes perfect sense for these patients to go the FUT route again. In many cases it comes down to head shape and size and I can normally tell what someones laxity is like now by looking at their head not always but often.

I do think that just putting very low density into a crown is questionable as to whether that is more beneficial than having a bald spot. Sure you can add some toppik and get it looking ok but unless you have the type of hair that lays flat when the density is low and there is some length to the hair it catches much easier in the wind, been there and lived that. It depends on what your crown looks like as to what you should do.

In my situation I would like some more hair in my crown, Dr Hasson only gave this a light covering in 2006 to hide the mini and micro grafts that were placed in the nineties it made the area look natural but the density would ideally be higher.

When I went for my second surgery (fifth in total) with Dr Hasson in 2013 his advice was to put whatever we had in the front, he was right and I am glad I listened to him. We got 1755 grafts, I don't have a naturally loose scalp due to my head shape and size, I have a larger than average head. I am considering some FUE scalp and beard hair at some stage later in the year. I will put these into the crown in a postion where I can give coverage to both the upper and lower parts.

I'd be happy with the amount of coverage and density you have in the crown, how many grafts did you have put in the crown back in 2006? I know I will need to do the lateral humps which connect to the crown. Have you had any grafts on your lateral humps? if so how many grafts? I think my main focus will be on achieving a result that will look good in 20-30 years, I don't think I have that many scalp grafts left, possibly 2,000-2,500 I've done only FUE so going any further could result in an over-harvested look which I don't want, however I would not mind an overall thin look as long as it is uniform and natural looking.

my pattern is identical to this guy you can see where in the future the lateral humps will go bald and if its not covered at least lightly it will look bad. I have a couple of consults to discuss my options regarding lateral hump coverage. I would much rather leave my crown bald and have good strong coverage in my lateral humps then the latter. Also, excited to see you going in for another surgery, you're going in the hall of fame bro I hope you make a thread on here so I can keep track.

XIc8zVG.jpg

View my thread

HTsoon, do you use lipogaine on your entire scalp? I've been using rogaine foam on my crown only, but just ordered Lipogaine and have been thinking about using it all over.

• Administrators
HTsoon, do you use lipogaine on your entire scalp? I've been using rogaine foam on my crown only, but just ordered Lipogaine and have been thinking about using it all over.

I use it on my entire scalp, in the morning ill rub it on my crown and donor area down to my nape, at night I'll primarily put it in my hairline and midscalp.

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread

Over the years with all the hair loss etc i got used to short hair style.

If i did get my hair restored i would still want to keep it short and number 2 on the back and sides. I like the french crop style.

HTsoon,

I am not sure of the number I have had on my crown. There is enough hair currently to give coverage but not density. Dr Hasson just gave a light coverage to try to hide the mini and micro grafts which was achieved.

I have more of a square shaped head and have not addressed my lateral humps. The sides have not dropped or have I felt that I have needed more work here. I have been on Finasteride for 10 years this year, I can't be 100% certain that I have not lost hair since being on the meds but if I have it has been very, very slow. I think in your case saving some grafts to restore the lateral humps is more important than tackling the crown.

---

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey Guys for my 9 month update,

I decided to make a little video of my journey, in the video I wet my hair and comb through it parting it down the middle to really reveal the work, I'm happy to say that even when its wet and parted it still looks good. I did this video because I wanted to give the most honest depiction of what a hair transplant could achieve for someone with an advanced hair loss pattern.

The combing through the hair starts at 50 seconds for those of you who want to skip to the update.

• Like 1

View my thread

Honest to god,this is probably ''The Best'' result I have seen in an NW6 person.

Even when wet there is no significant gap between hairs.

Congratulation to you bro,great going.

My Thread: 

• Administrators
Honest to god,this is probably ''The Best'' result I have seen in an NW6 person.

Even when wet there is no significant gap between hairs.

Congratulation to you bro,great going.

Thanks bro, to be honest I think your results even more impressive than my own, I'm looking forward to your 6 month update:D

Unreal man. And at 9 months stil improvements to be had.

Thanks dude, its been a journey, I'll take improvements if they come, but if they don't I'm happy as is. How's everything going with you bro you must be at what 5 months now?

Thats just friggen awesome dude congrats to you.

Your a good fella for sharing your journey.

Thanks man appreciate the kind words. I know these threads are helpful because before I had my surgery I depended on threads like these.

View my thread

Great video. Unreal results. Are you going to do a one year follow up Video With Dr Diep if he asks? While watching this in my head I could almost hear him say " The patient has gained 10 to 20 years of his youth back".:D

Congrats you should be over the moon happy.

"1 Year: Patients have achieved about 80% of the growth of the transplanted hairs. Most of the hairs will have emerged from the scalp. -Gabel". I wouldn't be surprised to see you mature further.

Yeah just hit 6. slow but it's coming. Will post soon.

Do you recall what your donor density was? You mentioned having a small head (which I have too) as being an advantage. I'd imagine your density had to be a contributor to this result.

Hey Guys for my 9 month update,

I decided to make a little video of my journey, in the video I wet my hair and comb through it parting it down the middle to really reveal the work, I'm happy to say that even when its wet and parted it still looks good. I did this video because I wanted to give the most honest depiction of what a hair transplant could achieve for someone with an advanced hair loss pattern.

The combing through the hair starts at 50 seconds for those of you who want to skip to the update.

Based on your norwood level, that is a remarkable result and for the 9 month mark. Looks like for the amount of grafts, your doctor got you maximum yield. Impressive and well thought out approach. Glad your doc did delivered for you and with your safety in mind. Congrats!