3,900 grafts Norwood 6/7 Dr. Diep

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

Im making this thread because there might be alot of guys out there in my situation, I was a diffuse norwood 6 thinner with retrograde alopecia, before deciding to do a hair trasnpant I often searched hair loss forums, members would constantly dissuade individuals from receiving hair restoration because of extensive hairloss. At 29 years old I decided to do it, I had my first procedure with Dr. Behnam in Santa Monica I had 1,800 grafts put in my midscalp in a diffuse pattern. I  recently decided to have 2,120 grafts implanted to my hairline by Dr. Diep in Los Gatos, im one week post op, but I just wanted to address some apprehensions.

When deciding to have hair restoration you need to first stabilize hairloss, ive been on minoxidil and ketocanozole shampoo for over 4 years, no hair regrowth but my hairloss hasn't gotten much worse, I tried Finasteride but couldn't handle the sides, but I encourage everyone to at least try it.

Secondly, what is your goal realistically, it should be always be natural, address the hairline, midscalp and lateral humps first and foremost, the crown must be something you're willing to leave thin or completely bald.

Thirdly, you must be willing to step outside the box should worst case scenario come in to play, what I mean by this is that you must be willing to invest your time and money if the hair transplant should not come to fruition, for example I have average to below average donor density due to my retrograde alopecia, my hair characteristics are fairly good though, so I plan to use as much of my donor as possible with the possibility of going over 50% donor density. My back up plan is body hair transplant (BHT) to the donor area to make up for the donor depletion, luckily I have alot of body hair I could probably use over 30,000 follicular units just on body hair alone. I also wear my hair short on the sides so the change in hair characteristics from body hair to scalp wont be too apparent in the donor area.

All things considered, MONEY, what I plan on doing will cost me the price of a brand new Mercedez Benz, are you in a position to afford this? Is it worth it to you? I truly dislike when people automatically write off Norwood 6/7 as hopeless, there is still hope if you have managed your hair loss and have realistic expectations, with body hair transplantion you're not solely reliant on hair from your scalp anymore. So with out further ive attached some pics of my first procedure before and after exactly 14 months post op, picture taken same place same lighting with Crew hair wax (not a concealer just hair product).

The other pictures attached are my recent hair transplant sides and donor area. Its been exactly 8 days since I had the procedure done, both procedure were done via FUE.

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I'm actually in the process of consulting with dr.cole and dr.umar to see if my goal is possible in regards to transplanting body hair to the donor area. I'd much rather transplant body hair to the donor than the scalp. In my opinion id rather deplete my donor area using it on the scalp. Dr.diep, in my opinion has the best results for hairline restoration, it's just a shame he doesn't do body hair transplants,

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

Yea I've been following Sam for a while ever since I got my transplant. He got great results for being a full blown Norwood 6, I think one more surgery to lower his hairline and thicken everything up would do him great. It should be said too, that great results for a Norwood 5,6,7 will never compare to great results to a Norwood 2,3. So following someone like Sam gave me realistic expectations of what could be achieved surgically.

View my thread

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Here's my 3 month follow up, not much to report, my shockloss subsided, so i'm almost looking like i did before my surgery, I have tiny peach fuzz hairs growing in that I can see, but still got a long time to go. I got two pictures of the hairline one away from the light and one directly in to the light, I got two overhead shots, one with hair putty (non concealer) and the other with dry hair, I also took a pic of my crown and donor area, nothings been done to the crown but it hasn't changed much for the past 3 years not sure if my donor can withstand anymore grafts, I'm hopeful I can get another 1,000 but it may be pushing it.

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3206.jpg

View my thread

@ HTSoon, I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions on NW 6/7, I myself being NW6 with depleted donor area. I recently had combo scalp and BHT done in India and will post a separate thread and pictures soon, the experience was great and the cost was 1/10 th of the money spent in USA even after adding airticket costs.

My Thread: 

Thanks for the update HtSoon. And once again it's good to see some1 giving hope to the high NW's who, so often are told by the lower NW's to just forget it man and move on. Everything looks to be going well and I'd say ull have a killer hairline in 3 months time. Also that crown isn't too bad at all in those pics it's light ya but still has some milage left

• Administrators
@ HTSoon, I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions on NW 6/7, I myself being NW6 with depleted donor area. I recently had combo scalp and BHT done in India and will post a separate thread and pictures soon, the experience was great and the cost was 1/10 th of the money spent in USA even after adding airticket costs.

Did you make a thread? I'd love to see your pics, I'm still up on the air with who I'll go with to do body hair, I'm considering Dr. Umar since he's 45 min from my home and known for BHT, who did your procedure?

Thanks for the update HtSoon. And once again it's good to see some1 giving hope to the high NW's who, so often are told by the lower NW's to just forget it man and move on. Everything looks to be going well and I'd say ull have a killer hairline in 3 months time. Also that crown isn't too bad at all in those pics it's light ya but still has some milage left

Thanks romp, its been improving slowly but steadily,yea the crown doesn't bug me as much, it's hanging in there with the lipogaine, hasn't changed since early 2013, I'm thinking of doing some smp to the crown to lessen the contrast, since I still got some hair there it might not look too bad, then maybe do some beard grafts just to add coverage. The first two months were hell though, got hit hard with shock loss, finally starting to look like I did before.

View my thread

Not yet, but will do so soon as I get back to USA, I have one more touch up to the crown left with combo HT. This one picture is of two and half weeks post transplant. Have had some scab fall off and you can seea bald patch at the back which will be done soon. I am very happy with the experience so far. I will post more pictures on a separate thread as mentioned before later. I had my procedure done by Dr. Arika Bansal and Dr. Pradeep Sethi at eugenix at their brand new facility at Guargaon. They use state of the art equipment and very friendly people, also results with NW 6/7 patients are excellent. i can tell you more once my result shows up. Though I feel quite confident of good outcomes from my procedure based on initial few days of healing!. Keeping my fingers crossed, and my prayers for your continued great growth. I evaluated Dr.Umar myself, however was not veay happy for multitude of reasons including the response I got for my queries. However my opinion of him might be biased since I never met him personally. Wait 4 my thread in 2 weeks time, once my crown work is (about 10% area left) completed I shall post all the pictures. All the best for your growth bro.

20151023_120919.jpg.acc642927404432d9c262009db029626.jpg

Edited by harin

My Thread: 

Not yet, but will do so soon as I get back to USA, I have one more touch up to the crown left with combo HT. This one picture is of two and half weeks post transplant. Have had some scab fall off and you can seea bald patch at the back which will be done soon. I am very happy with the experience so far. I will post more pictures on a separate thread as mentioned before later.

5b32e8e706581_twoweekstopshot.jpg.cae451ea3fee2715baaac5a1f7667429.jpg

My Thread: 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It's been a month since my last update, I've seen some good growth in this past month, I still got 8 months of growth left so hopefully things stay on track like they have been, I took several different lighting pictures, one outside in the sun which exposes your hair, one inside the office day to day lighting, and one in bathroom lighting, also put a picture of the crown and donor area, donor is looking ok for 4,000 grafts obviously a bit thinner but not bad considering how short I cut it.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread

• Administrators

Outside in the sun

image.jpg

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon
  • Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators

Donor/crown

image.jpg

View my thread

• Administrators

Thanks romp, yea had thanksgiving dinner yesterday and a lot of friends and family who haven't seen me in months were surprised to see me with more hair, very happy considering I'm at 4 months. How's everything coming along for you? It's been 2 months now right the waiting is the toughest part.

View my thread

Ya 8 weeks today ill do an update myself tomorro but not much change just waiting it out at the moment. I can see some early growth. As much as I try not look at my hair I am constantly checking it so even if it does change I will hardly notice. I'm sure we all do it though. Your hairline looks very good

Nice you showed all the different pictures in alternate lighting really shows how pictures can be deceiving by clinics. You have a nice hairline now with plenty of time for ample thickening. Hopefully your density will improve in the coming months.

Even if it doesn't fill in as much as you hope you can at the very least make it look full with some hair fibers. Yes it sucks using fillers but in my opinion it's better than being bald. Four months is early so hopefully you make some major gains in the coming months.

• Administrators
Nice you showed all the different pictures in alternate lighting really shows how pictures can be deceiving by clinics. You have a nice hairline now with plenty of time for ample thickening. Hopefully your density will improve in the coming months.

Even if it doesn't fill in as much as you hope you can at the very least make it look full with some hair fibers. Yes it sucks using fillers but in my opinion it's better than being bald. Four months is early so hopefully you make some major gains in the coming months.

Yea 4 months is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of growth, it's a huge improvement to how I looked 2 months ago already, I try and take all type of lighting photos to give a clear understanding of how photos and lighting can change your results. Also, for high Norwood guys like myself I wanna give a realistic expectation of what can be achieved surgically, obviously more hair you have to start with, the better your result.

View my thread

Nice progress so far and more than honest pictures..

It looks good in normal light but thin in the sunshine..

But only 4 months POST OP from your 2nd surgery so nothing to worry about.

But just one thing..

I am a Norwood 5A and the crown is really very small as i think it is normal for a NW5A.

But i decided to leave the crown untouched and give 120cm2 on top of my head all the 5800 grafts from both procedures. Thats an average density of 48FUs/cm2 and that should defenitely give me good coverage and even density.

My crown is hairy enough to conceal it unnoticeable when all is grown out.

That said, Nw5A is not NW5a.

The question should be how big is your head.

Not which Norwood scale someone is.

Hairtransplant=Mathematics and a good doc.

I hope youll enjoy your ned hair in 2 more months when you arrive the 6 month mark.

Im 3 weeks behind you :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey guys, its only been two weeks since my last update, but there's been alot of growth in those two weeks, here are couple of pics I snapped, I hadn't previously posted in side views, I did some side views and also took one picture standing under a light, im currently one week shy of 5 months.

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

View my thread

Hey guys, its only been two weeks since my last update, but there's been alot of growth in those two weeks, here are couple of pics I snapped, I hadn't previously posted in side views, I did some side views and also took one picture standing under a light, im currently one week shy of 5 months.

WOW,nice improvement, congratulations.

My Thread: