Pulled the plug, got the hair plucked

Folks, first of all I want to thank each and every single member for posting their experience with different docs and how their HT journey have nourished for them.

Approximately less than a year ago, I thought of getting HT and had created a thread for feedback

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/176291-considering-hair-transplant-finally.html

I was told that my donor area looks weak and not to proceed. I emailed a few docs and got the similar response. But Dr. Radha had claimed that this should not be considered as a disappointment and there would be requirement of multiple sessions. I did a bit of research on her and saw great results for patients ranging from 2000-6000 grafts for work she has done.

For my coverage she had advised I needed 5000 grafts, and with the pics I've sent her she was anticipating 3000 grafts.

Flash forward, about more than 35+ emails and a few phone calls within past 6 month I finally set the date for July 16th and flew in from Saudi Arabia (that's where I'm based). I stayed at Novotel and reached evening of 15th. I was impressed with Vizag at the beginning but later found to boring.

Anyways, I reached the clinic at 8:45 morning after having a breakfast at the hotel. BP taken by nurse, along with some blood sample for HIV, Hep B, Hep C tests, followed by hair wash with antiseptic shampoo by the nurse.

Dr. Radha arrived at 9:30 and we had a very long discussion of expectation, hair loss treatment, etc etc, typical doc patient stuff. She drew my expected hair line and took some pics, she said due being Norwood 6 I would require 3 sittings to get a full coverage.

Walked into the ops room at around 11 where the first part is the strip removal, typically according to the doc it should take 2 hours but in my case it took her 3 hours due to my hair being curly.

Lunch break I requested subway, being half indian I cannot eat indian food that well, it's unsettling, specially during surgery.

Back in the ops room at 2:30 where the needles were poked and incisions begun, all this took place till 8PM, took a few washroom breaks in between. Nurse was kind enough to show me how the follicles are extracted etc etc. Now the best par was at 75 % of surgery Dr. Radha mentioned that she grafted 3200 so far and she is still expecting more numbers, my anesthesia was wearing down with happiness. At the end of the surgery total number of grafts was 4345.

1 hair - 1350

2 hair - 2795

3 hair - 200

Total hair - 7540

This was really great news to me and she had actually crossed the area where she had drawn on the head, later on she mentioned to me that I don't need 3 but only 1 more surgery to cover the rest of the head.

All in all, I'm glad I made the move and went with Dr. Radha, she took utmost care along with her team of nurses. She didn't show any sign of impatience or annoyance. She was very accommodating and comforting.

I've attached the pics, and welcome for feedback. I went today to a Derma here in Saudi to get the sutures removed and he pissed me off saying I got to wait 2 more days as there I inflammation around the scar. To be honest it looks fine to me but anyhoo.

Pics 1-3 10 days before surgery

Pic 4,5 - stiches with hair and shaved

Pic 6-7 7 days post op

Pic 8

Now, been following the instructions as advised, wash twice daily until 15 days, followed by coconut oil overnight to wash off the scabs next day.

So what do you guys think ?

5b32e7602d798_FullSizeRender(1)(1).jpg.649d0750b6cb61a166a2897e22e1397f.jpg

5b32e76044e52_FullSizeRender(2)(1).jpg.c456d56d4d21fdd79e74a814a5424230.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg.1b4382d77376ce487d206f8cf2210594.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg.f4d1c4cff050414b27a02128ff42beba.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg.0dddfbccc15f09185d966e55ac0204ee.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg.b3dc2e1cbb22d64acb6d0868430ba2d0.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg.d723f24c3f5e7dca0c1662881d91e19c.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg.c609b245dd0802b6a248a3b94c74ea2e.jpg

Looks like she transplanted dense enough to give a good appearance. With 4k grafts she covered a pretty large area as well. Do you know what is the total bald area on your head and how much of it is transplanted now? Besides what is the avg grafts/cm2 for this procedure? Should look good once the hair grows.

It would be great if you could post the pics taken at the clinic by Dr. Radha.

Good luck and keep your post updated

Edited by Torip

Yea, although I wish the hair line was little below where it originally was.

I dunno about total bald area, but she put some scale type measurement thing and said I lost about 11000 grafts (?) something like that.

Thanks, i'm waiting for her to send me the pics.

Looks like a good design and coverage over a large area. It should come out very well. Please keep us posted on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Bro

Congratulations...... Your gamble paid offf..... 4345 grafts

I was follwing you and thought you should not go for HT ......i was so wrong

Work looks good as usual from dr radha

Btw did you start taking fin

Looks fine.. Nice coverage. The covered area looks around 120cm2 as I feel. She would have told you the area she marked I guess?

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

Thanks guys,

Didn't start taking the fin yet which I will do from next week, I got travels coming up next few days which will put me in different time zones.

Doc did tell me a lot of stuff and I forgot to wrote it down.

Sutures are off today, the dermatologist gave me some anti inflammatory pills and ointment , I don't think I require them but he just did part of his diagnostic I guess.

Day 17,

I've been travelling a lot and it had been difficult for me to maintain the hair wash, was in Dubai followed by Frankfurt, followed by Toronto, followed by Vancouver so staying in these cities for 2-4 days and making sure the most important thing I pack is Johnson baby shampoo.

So during the past 10 days, I've noticed a few grafts fall down here and there, i'd say in total of about 20 or so. When i'd wake up in the morning there would be a spot or 2 of blood, not sure if that's because of the sutures or me scratching the scar hard at night.

The dissolvable stiches are weird, I was under the impression they would not come out, but a thread like thing is hanging in that area. Also haven't suffered from any shock loss "yet"

lastly, the thing that is bothering me the most is itching, around the scar and on top of the head, soooo hard to control it but i'm not doing it at all.

Pics will be followed later tonight.

For me, I noticed shedding starting from 12th day which was at small scale in the start but currently have shed most of the grafts(day 34). Blood could be because of scratching. For me, dissolvable stitches were breaking like threads and then they came of like scabbing as well. Right now the scar is healing.

Even in my case I didnt experience shock loss. Yes itching will be there which you have to control.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Bro waiting for the pics

I hope you doing fine except the stuff you mentioned

How are you hiding the scar

What abt fin... Started taking? Any isdes?

Cheers

Thanks man, will post pics later today, been busy. Not the ones from the clinic.

Day 18: Just an update to all, applied coconut oil and next day to rub off the scabs didn't see much coming out except a few hair falling down along with a few of them with grafts so just washed the hair normally. However, Day 19 there are a few scabs here and there along with grafts so just gonna take it easy.

So far no shock loss, I hope there was no such thing as shock loss, the hair looks perfect and I've been getting good praise from friends and family that it's looking good, some even thought I got a new haircut.

Started taking the meds, finasteride on day 18 and applied minox 1ML as prescribed by the doc.

Hello Shock loss ?

So while showering this morning I had some hair on my hand, without the graft/root part upon being slow I noticed some more later on.

Later at work we received some shocking news and I held my hand on top of my head, then again about 5-7 hair.

Could this be shock loss ? :D

This will keep on happening for next few days. Do not get alarmed. The transplanted hair sheds with the root still intact. I went through the same phase. I am on day 37 and I have around 20% of transplanted hair left only. Shockloss would be somewhere around your donor area and the recipient area if you had any hair in that area. From your pictures, it seems like recipient area had very few hair, so it's highly likely that it is the normal shedding that is quite standard with the process.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

This will keep on happening for next few days. Do not get alarmed. The transplanted hair sheds with the root still intact. I went through the same phase. I am on day 37 and I have around 20% of transplanted hair left only. Shockloss would be somewhere around your donor area and the recipient area if you had any hair in that area. From your pictures, it seems like recipient area had very few hair, so it's highly likely that it is the normal shedding that is quite standard with the process.

Aha, sign of relief.

Didn't notice anything this morning, all was good.

It's the shedding of transplanted hair that happens normally after transplant. No reason to worry.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

BTW stopped the meds after reading the side affects of Finpecia and Minox, more so for Finpecia, but I think I will continue the minox, I've used the meds for a total for 9 days.

So today will be 1 month post op and here are the pictures, seems like about 30-40 % transplanted hair has shed, scar is not visible, only if someone pays very close attention, I've had people ask me what's the line and I've said its by the cap.

What do you guys think ?

IMG_5523.JPG.1fe073f8715eceed358637441932188b.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG.e0442015c383dc160296c2c4f68c5481.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG.d70c33eece0d56111176fb1837b8fa0a.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG.e9f31789facd94615b729efd81f6b194.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG.2f16042ac397474d8a4cfaebe3f0d688.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG.7c11af450949356448f3fc754866a1f8.JPG

IMG_5531.JPG.91166ffde69d8916438c531492420955.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG.c84cc43f8df1af25f497adf0b4c97c1d.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

4 month post op,

same tshirt

same couch

same room

different head.

Got hair cut on the side and light on the top, even the barber was surprised how my hair started to grow.

Pre op I was worried about the scar but now I don't really care, a lot of people ask me what happened and I tell them childhood accident stiches, in fact I have a few stiches back of my head so that kind of blends in.

IMG_6869.JPG.ce560ab4fce4fe492bb1e442d0782a33.JPG

IMG_6883.JPG.7c97035c9f058322172ec9f8555a9026.JPG

IMG_6903.jpg.4a01f58114affbd040840ef5e651424d.jpg

Sparkling difference between third and fourth month. I experienced the same. It will start to thicken now and you will look for mirrors more often than ever.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

• Administrators

Big improvement, still got 8 month of growth and thickening. All is not lost for Norwood 6 guys.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for sharing the early results.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians