Bald spot or whorl?

Esptein1

Hello,

I've had the same "whorl" part spot on the back of my head for a long time. Recently I've become paranoid that it is becoming a bald spot (see attached image). Any advice or input? My hairline is moderately receding in front, but nothing crazy. Please excuse my wavy hair (have not showered yet today).

Best,

-Chris

IMG_3537.jpg.84c31ecb9f9cedb970645291d49aa6f4.jpg

it's hard to know from that pic, do you notice a lot more hairs than usual on your pillow every morning?

maybe get on fin and see what it looks like after 12 months, taking regular monthly pics to compare?

It's hard to say for sure based on that photo alone. I'd be interested to know your age as well. And do you have photos that show the back of your head from several years ago you could compare this to?

And you mentioned receding a little bit in the front. Have you considered Propecia?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

As Joe Tillman advised, I think your best bet is to go in for an evaluation. That's the only way to know for sure, and I see why you may be concerned. At the very least, talk to your doctor about Propecia and/or Rogaine. It's nothing to be too alarmed about, just be proactive and try to nip it in the bud.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Probably something going on there - just be proactive and get evaluated to make yourself more aware of any loss/miniaturization and it's progress. Good news is that you look like you will be in good shape for years to come if you start being vigilant now.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

@Esptein1

Hi. How much time is a long time since you first noticed this pattern?

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

So I've lost a LOT of hair in the past three weeks, and it hasn't just been on the hairline or crown. The sides have been shedding and I've developed weird lines across the sides that were not there before. Doctor has diagnosed it as TE- I'm under a serious amount of stress preparing for the bar exam right now. I realize that some see TE as wishful thinking, but it would explain why it's all shedding in a matter of weeks- I never even had this spot in the back before I stepped up the prep work. Here's hoping for the best and seeing if it regrows.

I'd definitely keep an eye on it. There could be some miniaturization going on in that spot. It seems the crown whirl tends to be a starting point for MPB in a lot of guys. The stress in your life could accelerate the process. I would recommend getting a miniaturization test done and consider finasteride and/or rogaine. You've got a lot good hair, do your best to keep it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Esp,

Initially, I was going to go with "whorl." However, that spot lower down near the superior boarder of the donor region is suspicious.

TE could be, could be playing a role here. However, temporary TE does not exclude underlying androgenic alopecia (AGA). In fact, it often unmasks it. If it's true TE, you should see a resolution. If it never seems to improve, it could be underlying AGA and you may want to start looking into your options a bit more closely.

Regardless, don't worry about this for now. If it's truly TE, you're fine and it'll come back; if it's AGA, you have to wait a bit to differentiate it from TE either way and there is nothing to do for now. Focus on dominating the bar and worry about this later. It'll all be far less important and manageable after you're a bit shot attorney ; ).

Best of luck, buddy! Feel free to ask any additional questions. But I would try to just put it out of your mind for now.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.