Dr. Hasson FUT 2391 grafts

Corey53

Hi Everyone,

I’m writing this post to ask you for your feedback on my FUT results from Dr. Hasson.

Background

I’ve had subtle thinning hair in my crown for about 9 years and have been taking Propecia for that same amount of time. I’m now 33 years old. After researching hair transplant options, by using the forums and going for consultations, I decided to go to Hasson & Wong’s clinic in Vancouver.

October 2013

I went into see Joe, the consultant at Hasson & Wong, about FUT surgery. He said that the doctor would likely recommend about 2000 grafts in order to densely pack the crown and give me great coverage. During the consultation, Dr. Hasson came into the office and looked at my crown to confirm the graft amount and that I would make a good candidate for the surgery. Dr. Hasson showed me a lot of photos of other patients with similar hair loss and their results. At the end of the appointment, I felt confident with Dr. Hasson’s service and decided to book the surgery.

January 13, 2014

I came into the office in the early morning and Dr. Hasson examined my crown again. He confirmed that 2000 grafts would be sufficient to cover the area. At that time, he even joked with my wife that I was a “vain candidate” and that I wasn’t in desperate need for surgery. The surgery took 8 hours and, as far as I know, went smoothly. I ended up getting 2391 grafts. I went into the clinic the following three days in a row for a check and a shampoo. At two weeks post-op, I returned to get my staples removed.

July 2014

At 6 months post-op, I emailed Joe, the consultant, and said I haven’t had any growth yet and was told the crown sometimes take longer to grow so wait a bit longer.

September 2014

At 8 months, I booked an appointment to go in to the office and see what Dr. Hasson had to say about my results. Dr. Hasson agreed there wasn’t much growth yet, took a couple pictures, and said he felt confident that the grafts would still grow and wanted to see me again at my 1 year post-op point.

February 23, 2015

13 months post-op and I still didn’t have a lot of growth so I called and booked another appointment to see Dr. Hasson. When I went into his office, he was surprised of how little growth I had and said that my result was rare. I asked if he knew why the hair didn’t grow and he said he wasn’t sure and that he had only a couple of these cases, every couple of years. Dr. Hasson said his office had a full money back guarantee or I could opt to get another surgery. With a lot of prior thought, I said I would opt for another surgery. He said that before we go for another surgery to come in at 18 months post-op to confirm my situation.

May 12, 2015

I emailed Daria, the receptionist at Dr. Hasson’s office, and asked her for an appointment to see Dr. Hasson for the 18 month post-op visit and also to save a date for my second FUT surgery. She booked me into see Dr. Hasson in June and saved September as my second FUT surgery date.

June 15, 2015

Due to my work schedule and lack of days off in the summer, I had to go back to see Dr. Hasson at the 17 months post-op point. When I went into the office, Dr. Hasson again examined my crown. To my complete shock, he now said that all my grafts had grown and that I had a good result for the 2391 grafts that were implanted. I was shocked. He went on to say that he thought “I would never be happy with my result” and that was why he hates doing crown surgeries. Again, I was shocked. Was this the same guy that told me just 4 months ago (at my February 23, 2015 consult) that I could have had a full refund or opt for another surgery because the hair didn’t grow? Dr. Hasson then went on to show me two large pictures on his computer of my crown at 8 months post-op (my September 2014) visit and then pics that they took of my crown that day. He also went through the other photos (pre-op, graft placement, 8 months, 13 months, and 17 months). He said “clearly, the hair has grown.” I didn’t see it – and neither did my wife, who was sitting in the room. The pics all looked very, very similar with minimal hair growth. I pushed and said that I (as well as family and close fiends) didn’t see the difference from my pre-op to post-op state and I’d like to do another surgery of 2400 grafts, like he had offered me 4 months ago. Dr. Hasson said he wouldn’t do another surgery that big and offered only 1000 grafts or I could take a $5000 credit. He kept saying that he was only offering these two options so that “I would be happy” since he felt the results were as good and as expected. He went on to suggest that I could try SMP on my crown to disguise the lack of density. He showed me pictures of a model client who had SMP and had a good result. I walked out of that office so frustrated (to say the least) and wondered why I should have to get SMP to hide my “lack of density” if my $12k+ FUT procedure was a success?

Pictures don’t lie. I’d appreciate your honest feedback on my three pictures below (pre-op, 6 months and post-op/today). What should I do – ask for my full money back? Did I get a bad result?

FYI - I’ve also requested all my pictures from Dr. Hasson’s office (emailed Doug, a consultant at the office, over a week ago now but haven’t had a reply yet) as well as the graft implantation map. I’d be happy to post them when I have access.

Thanks for your feedback.

Pic_1.jpg.b2f190b7704ffdc9a072c0009a5f211e.jpg

Pic_2.jpg.87ba4ea297bd3d2c3d214b8ebcea5d58.jpg

Pic_3.jpg.24a5e286abdf0edd4603dc706285d742.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm 2nd undesirable result from H&W... Just 3 weeks ago there was another guy too. Just reaffirms the fact that hair transplant surgery is a risk, and it's definitely not "rare" to get a undesirable outcome.

By looking at the pictures you provided there is indeed not much improvement in my opinion.

Anyway it's highly unprofessional to first comply with a full refund/another surgery and then back off the statement 3 months later.

since he felt the results were as good and as expected.

First he talks about little growth and how rare such cases are and few months later (17th month) he suddenly says that the results are good and as expected?

Based on your story, I would opt for a full refund.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Honestly, it is not a result i would expect after going through such a restoration. It doesnt look like the goal was answered. Not sure what your preop pics look like, but right now i would say you need a procedure to hide that distinct halo/bird nest look. How many grafts would you need to remedy that situation? Crown takes a lot of grafts, you may need more than what was recommended. Its good to at least get feedback from ohysicians to see how many grafts will be needed accurately. Wish you the best but you have lost time wiaiting for your goals to be answered. I guess you will have to waste more time in waiting again after a much needed repair. Repair may cost you well over that $5k quoted, but you need to really analyze what you want to do. I hope you get some feedback both from clinic and other authentic posters/members. Wish you the best and hope you can move forward without much hassle or any other stressor/obstacle presented.

before pics would definitely be needed to make a comparison, but based on the photos you posted, you clearly got coverage, you just didn't get good density to match the rest of the great head of hair that you have ... surprising for a H&W result. If it were me, I would definitely get another opinion from a veteran doctor, Rahal, Konior, etc. or maybe more than just another opinion. See what they have to say is the best route to attack your situation. Sorry to hear of your frustrating experience, but don't loose hope, you should be fine in the right hands.. best of luck to you.

Corey 53 - I agree that we'd need to see your pre-op pics to make an assessment. Who is this Joe person that originally handled your case? Do you have pre-op pics and the six month pics? Can you post them?

Honestly, it is not a result i would expect after going through such a restoration. It doesnt look like the goal was answered. Not sure what your preop pics look like, but right now i would say you need a procedure to hide that distinct halo/bird nest look. How many grafts would you need to remedy that situation? Crown takes a lot of grafts, you may need more than what was recommended. Its good to at least get feedback from ohysicians to see how many grafts will be needed accurately. Wish you the best but you have lost time wiaiting for your goals to be answered. I guess you will have to waste more time in waiting again after a much needed repair. Repair may cost you well over that $5k quoted, but you need to really analyze what you want to do. I hope you get some feedback both from clinic and other authentic posters/members. Wish you the best and hope you can move forward without much hassle or any other stressor/obstacle presented.

Thanks for the feedback, Sean. One of my before pics is included with my original write-up (see the first pic posted with shorter hair). The fact that you can't see the difference and say you'd like to see the pre-op/before pics says it all... not much growth.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Just to clarify, I have a pre-op pic posted. It's the first pic on the left with shorter hair. The 6 month post-op is next (in the middle) and then I put today's pic up on the right (18 months post-op). I don't see much difference but according to Dr. Hasson at my last visit, this is an acceptable result for the 2391 grafts that I had implanted. I'm don't feel the same way though - the pics don't lie.

Edited by Corey53

Who is this Joe person that originally handled your case?

Lol - that would be the infamous Joe Tillman. He posts frequently on this forum, although no longer works for H&W. Hopefully a representative from H&W can post a response and the moderators can intervene for you. A very surprising result from one of the best FUT surgeons in the world. Am very interested in hearing their side of the story.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Just to clarify, I have a pre-op pic posted. It's the first pic on the left with shorter hair. The 6 month post-op is next (in the middle) and then I put today's pic up on the right (18 months post-op). I don't see much difference but according to Dr. Hasson at my last visit, this is an acceptable result for the 2391 grafts that I had implanted. I'm don't feel the same way though - the pics don't lie.

Couple of questions:

1) did all the grafts go to the crown, or did you also get some hairline work done?

2) are you on Fin and do you use Minox?

Couple of questions:

1) did all the grafts go to the crown, or did you also get some hairline work done?

2) are you on Fin and do you use Minox?

Reply:

1) All the grafts went into my crown.

2) Yes, I've been on Fin for 9 years. I tried Minox for a bit years ago but it irritated my scalp so I stopped using it.

Reply:

1) All the grafts went into my crown.

2) Yes, I've been on Fin for 9 years. I tried Minox for a bit years ago but it irritated my scalp so I stopped using it.

Thanks buddy - I'll wait to hear from H&W before providing my opinion, but not looking good for them at his point. I'm pondering a procedure from them as well.

Yep I agree with most members not a good result from a worlwide clinic.

I've seen 1500 / 1800 grafts with better results, so what happened here I've no clue.

I'm not really into the way this Dr dealt with you by giving you the runnaround wait & then does a Uturn on you the last min.

I think half if not more of your folicals didn't take, was they handled wrong there is many different factors but if I was you I would cut my losses take his 5K & put it towards another top Dr as I think you can be fixed with 1500 plus grafts.

Also you may ask the Mods to step in for you so you all can come up with a mature agreement it sucks but move on buddy.

I'm shocked to be honest. You don't see this very often from H&W

Check out my crown case.. It wasn't with Dr. Hasson but another coalition doctor. I had roughly 5000 into a similar size area and still had to get more from Dr. Bhatti in my last case.. It is still see through in one area :/ but it's much better and I'm happy. What a hell of a road to get there. Crown are not easy. I understand why you are unhappy it doesn't look like much of change and I remember being in your exact shoes. My doctor did give me a free 2000 FUE though so that was ethical.

Thanks for the feedback, Sean. One of my before pics is included with my original write-up (see the first pic posted with shorter hair). The fact that you can't see the difference and say you'd like to see the pre-op/before pics says it all... not much growth.

Corey, dorry I didn't know you had a preop pic posted. I could't see a noticeable difference. If you ever get pics from the clinic, do share. Best thing for you to do now is to proceed wisely. Very sorry to see you in such a situation. This indeed is stressful and time consuming process. I just hope you get the help and assistance you need to rectify the situation, either monetary or repair. Best wishes.

Corey,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your results from your surgery it is always disappointing when patients don't get the desired result but all factors need to be taken into consideration before we all cast our opinion. I am not familiar with your case personally but I will be getting up to speed and reviewing your photos and will comment further when I have that information.

In the meantime I ask you to contact me directly on david@hassonandwong.com so I can try to resolve your concerns.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Corey,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your results from your surgery it is always disappointing when patients don't get the desired result but all factors need to be taken into consideration before we all cast our opinion. I am not familiar with your case personally but I will be getting up to speed and reviewing your photos and will comment further when I have that information.

In the meantime I ask you to contact me directly on david@hassonandwong.com so I can try to resolve your concerns.

Thanks David, please keep us updated on this matter.

Update would be appreciated. This is the second unhappy guy in a couple of weeks. Considering H&W but concerned Dr. Hasson would say the hair transplant was a success??? The hair transplant was a fail and a full refund is in order no doubt. Will H&W pay for to you have the procedure with another doctor?

Update would be appreciated. This is the second unhappy guy in a couple of weeks. Considering H&W but concerned Dr. Hasson would say the hair transplant was a success??? The hair transplant was a fail and a full refund is in order no doubt. Will H&W pay for to you have the procedure with another doctor?

What was the other thread?