Dr. Hasson FUT 2391 grafts

Corey53

I'll stick up for the clinic here. Sure, it's not a home-run result. But most of us know that crown surgeries are notoriously difficult, and that crowns gobble up a huge number of grafts to achieve anything approximating native density.

Looking at the slider pics (very neat too, BTW--I'd love to see more of these), I can see how 2,000-ish grafts grew. There's obviously a difference, albeit not a day-and-night one. It's possible that the patient experienced some shock loss, and the point about conserving donor grafts is well-taken.

Here's the thing: I think even the best clinics are not good at controlling patient expectations. Most patients have never seen a head of transplanted hair before, and their expectations are wildly out of sync with reality. Pictures--even clear ones--don't do the trick. Patients need to be told in clear terms: "The transplant will not be as dense nor look as dense as native hair. Your new hair will not be a substitute for the denseness or naturalness of your native hair." Period.

I had a homerun transplant of 1,450 grafts at my hairline. I was 29, and had nearly full native density behind the transplant. When it first grew in, I was despondent; the density looked see-through to me and didn't match my thicket of dense, native hair. Three years later, I'm completely stoked with my results, and I've learned that no one even notices that the hair in front is a little thinner. But my surgeon didn't talk any of this through with me, and I expected something that's impossible to deliver.

I don't know what kind of conversation Dr. Hasson had with this patient beforehand, but either it wasn't candid enough or the patient didn't absorb it. I think some free grafts are probably in order, but a full refund seems a little excessive to me.

I agree with all said here. No need for me to repeat here.

The clinic has proven in my opinion with excellent visual documentation that there indeed has been growth in accordance with the number of grafts used in relation to the area transplanted. This might have not been the visual change the patient had hoped for but is within what should have been realistically expected by the patient given ongoing hair loss/minaturization, the size of the area, and the notorious difficulty of crown work. I think there has been a visual improvement from 13 months to 17 months.

A full refund seems a bit much considering the work was done, growth and improvement has been had .... free grafts would be more than generous by the clinic. Although I feel for the patient I feel that the clinic can't be doing work for free just because the patient didn't have realistic expectations.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corey, you may want to speak with the FTC as to what you are facing, from all angles, online, forum, email, phone, etc. I know some officials would also like to collect information if there is disparate treatmen in response to you contacting the FTC t, including any online threat or warning or lawsuit response. Honestly, realistically you wanted a remedy, but visually to most it seems you still need a remedy to address the crown. Realistically, other crown results in comparison on this very forum may be a good indicator to how distinct of a change based on someones preop situation is for near the same amount of grafts. If you knowingly paid for a very minute change that still reveals your crown needing grafts then that is ridiculous, if the doc operated knowing you may still look distinctly bald in the crown, then that is even more ridiculous. It is always good to wear and utilize high tech gear when you deal with anyone.

Sample realistic comparison example:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180127-dr-scott-alexander-2552-fut-into-crown.html

Thanks for the community’s support.

I’m still in shock over David’s last post. Let me explain why…

David said “Despite Corey being on Propecia for a number of years before surgery he was still loosing hair - a fact that he admitted on his consultation form at the clinic. His loss was not stable and Dr. Hasson believes that he has probably lost hair since the surgery and will continue to lose more hair in the future.” Yes, David, I declared my hair was still thinning on the clinic’s form but I said it was thinning SLOWLY. My crown thinning took 9 years to develop. I have no idea how you can logically say that in the last 18 months I’ve suddenly I've lost a lot more of my native hair in that area - so much so, that it counteracts the entire 2391 grafts placed by Dr. Hasson? In less than a year and a half time? It’s incomprehensible to me how you are saying my hair loss accelerated so much since my surgery. I very much doubt your statement. Plus, don’t you think there would be a sign of a ring on my crown where you could see the 2391 grafts and then my thinning that protrudes outwards from the crown area? I see no evidence of this in your high definition pics.

David, you went on to say that, “Dr. Hasson did not plant this case at high density (he went for coverage which is the realistic goal for most patients when addressing the crown).” THIS IS NEWS TO ME! Please see below for the email that I received from H&W’s office on an assessment of my crown. Dr. Wong did the initial case assessment and stated in that email “approximately 2000 grafts will be sufficient for your needs. Dr. Wong will use these grafts to fill in the crown region for much improved coverage and density. Dr. Wong will rebuild the whorl pattern normally found in the crown for a completely natural result. Once the result has grown and matured you will have a significant cosmetic improvement that will allow for more hair styles and a stronger looking head of hair” (June 11, 2013 email).

When I went in for my consultation in October 2013, with Dr. Hasson and Joe, they assessed my crown and I was told 2000 grafts would be plenty. I asked Dr. Hasson if he could do more grafts and he assured me that I didn’t need it - I’d be happy with the coverage for 2000 grafts. Not once was it mentioned that I would have a conservative result and lack density. Instead, Dr. Hasson showed me pics on the computer of results that I could expect – full coverage and improved density. Different angles were shown and not one picture was even close to the result that I’ve ended up with. If I only knew I’d get this result – there is no way that I would have gone through with this procedure. I now have a scar in the back of my head, I’m out 12k and I’ve had almost no visible difference in my crown.

David, you also said that, “For all those posters that have expressed an opinion no one has asked a crucial question of how large the area was and without this information no one can make a proper judgement on the success or failure of the transplant. The size of area will affect the density- for example the density of a 8cm bald spot would be double that of a 12cm transplanted with the same number of grafts.” Unfortunately, it wasn't deemed "crucial" enough to inform me of this info??? Because had this info been clearly discussed, I would not have had surgery to begin with. Plus, the pics that Dr. Hasson showed me in his office were of patients with similar crown pre-op states and often less implanted grafts. Here are some cases that I could say represent the consultation that I had with Dr. Hasson and what he said he could do for me with the 2000 grafts:

1200 FUT grafts in crown:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/148225-1200-graft-crown-case-dr-hasson-patient.html

1863 FUT grafts in crown:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-21543.html

Look at the size of the crowns, his and mine. It is so similar, so why is there such a huge difference in our results? I know I wasn’t going to have hair native-hair density like I was 16 again, but come on – my results are no where even close to what I was told to expect. I’ve never seen results this poor for the amount of grafts that I had implanted.

Lastly, David, you said at my 13 month visit, “Dr Hasson said that if [the growth] didn't improve then he would refund [my] money. Dr Hasson did not offer a full refund at that time because there was a lot of immature hair coming through in the crown area. Crowns take longer to see full growth which is why Dr Hasson asked him to come back again when the growth had matured.” I was in the room with Dr. Hasson during this conversation (just to be clear here - you were not). Dr. Hasson did say his clinic

had a full money back guarantee or I could opt to get another surgery (I posted this exact comment in my original write up). Because I wanted to fix my crown, Dr. Hasson and I did not talk any further about the refund. It was offered though. Instead, I said I wanted to fix my crown and would go through another surgery. That is why I emailed H&W’s office on May 12, 2015 to not only set up another consultation with Dr. Hasson but also my second (pro-bono) surgery date.

After the way I’ve been treated since my 17 month visit, I want no part in another surgery/procedure with this clinic. I know they perform great work, I’m not discounting that fact at all – it just didn’t work well for me. That is why, I’d like to move on from this experience and get my money back. It took me a long time to save that money and I need it now in order to get my crown fixed. I do not feel I’m being unreasonable. The community’s support has been quite clear – this is not an acceptable result. I hope Dr. Hasson and his clinic will take this into account and do the right thing – just refund the money.

BTW – still no response from Doug regarding an appointment with Dr. Hasson for next week.

5b32e76848af4_DrHWConsultationEmail_DetailsonCase.png.380a506d3b90404c962632c89acc3bbd.png

Edited by Corey53

I think H and W are a brilliant clinic, and if I wanted strip surgey these would be the guys I would go to, even with the odd bad result..shit happens. No one's perfect...you can't hit the bullseye every time.

But...this operation was a failure, the patient isn't happy, everyone reading this thread can see it was a failure. I know it can obviously be a shot to the ego when you are so good at something, and you don't quite hit the level your use to hitting.

Just give the guy his money back as promised, hold your hands up and admit it was a failure and move on. I think everyone will respect the clinic a lot more for that, rather than trying convince us that this was a good result.

Spot on!

David said “Despite Corey being on Propecia for a number of years before surgery he was still loosing hair - a fact that he admitted on his consultation form at the clinic. His loss was not stable and Dr. Hasson believes that he has probably lost hair since the surgery and will continue to lose more hair in the future.” Yes, David, I declared my hair was still thinning on the clinic’s form but I said it was thinning SLOWLY. My crown thinning took 9 years to develop. I have no idea how you can logically say that in the last 18 months I’ve suddenly I've lost a lot more of my native hair in that area - so much so, that it counteracts the entire 2391 grafts placed by Dr. Hasson? In less than a year and a half time? It’s incomprehensible to me how you are saying my hair loss accelerated so much since my surgery. I very much doubt your statement. Plus, don’t you think there would be a sign of a ring on my crown where you could see the 2391 grafts and then my thinning that protrudes outwards from the crown area? I see no evidence of this in your high definition pics.

David, you went on to say that, “Dr. Hasson did not plant this case at high density (he went for coverage which is the realistic goal for most patients when addressing the crown).” THIS IS NEWS TO ME! Please see below for the email that I received from H&W’s office on an assessment of my crown. Dr. Wong did the initial case assessment and stated in that email “approximately 2000 grafts will be sufficient for your needs. Dr. Wong will use these grafts to fill in the crown region for much improved coverage and density. Dr. Wong will rebuild the whorl pattern normally found in the crown for a completely natural result. Once the result has grown and matured you will have a significant cosmetic improvement that will allow for more hair styles and a stronger looking head of hair” (June 11, 2013 email).

When I went in for my consultation in October 2013, with Dr. Hasson and Joe, they assessed my crown and I was told 2000 grafts would be plenty. I asked Dr. Hasson if he could do more grafts and he assured me that I didn’t need it - I’d be happy with the coverage for 2000 grafts. Not once was it mentioned that I would have a conservative result and lack density. Instead, Dr. Hasson showed me pics on the computer of results that I could expect – full coverage and improved density. Different angles were shown and not one picture was even close to the result that I’ve ended up with. If I only knew I’d get this result – there is no way that I would have gone through with this procedure. I now have a scar in the back of my head, I’m out 12k and I’ve had almost no visible difference in my crown.

David, you also said that, “For all those posters that have expressed an opinion no one has asked a crucial question of how large the area was and without this information no one can make a proper judgement on the success or failure of the transplant. The size of area will affect the density- for example the density of a 8cm bald spot would be double that of a 12cm transplanted with the same number of grafts.” Unfortunately, it wasn't deemed "crucial" enough to inform me of this info??? Because had this info been clearly discussed, I would not have had surgery to begin with. Plus, the pics that Dr. Hasson showed me in his office were of patients with similar crown pre-op states and often less implanted grafts. Here are some cases that I could say represent the consultation that I had with Dr. Hasson and what he said he could do for me with the 2000 grafts:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/148225-1200-graft-crown-case-dr-hasson-patient.html

Look at the size of the crowns, his and mine. It is so similar, so why is there such a huge difference in our results? I know I wasn’t going to have hair native-hair density like I was 16 again, but come on – my results are no where even close to what I was told to expect. I’ve never seen results this poor for the amount of grafts that I had implanted.

I’ve posted a YouTube video of my case. You be the judge:

https://youtu.be/nNLTjj6oYPA

Lastly, David, you said at my 13 month visit, “Dr Hasson said that if [the growth] didn't improve then he would refund [my] money. Dr Hasson did not offer a full refund at that time because there was a lot of immature hair coming through in the crown area. Crowns take longer to see full growth which is why Dr Hasson asked him to come back again when the growth had matured.” I was in the room with Dr. Hasson during this conversation (just to be clear here - you were not). Dr. Hasson did say his clinic

had a full money back guarantee or I could opt to get another surgery (I posted this exact comment in my original write up). Because I wanted to fix my crown, Dr. Hasson and I did not talk any further about the refund. It was offered though. Instead, I said I wanted to fix my crown and would go through another surgery. That is why I emailed H&W’s office on May 12, 2015 to not only set up another consultation with Dr. Hasson but also my second (pro-bono) surgery date.

After the way I’ve been treated since my 17 month visit, I want no part in another surgery/procedure with this clinic. I know they perform great work, I’m not discounting that fact at all – it just didn’t work well for me. That is why, I’d like to move on from this experience and get my money back. It took me a long time to save that money and I need it now in order to get my crown fixed. I do not feel I’m being unreasonable. The community’s support has been quite clear – this is not an acceptable result. I hope Dr. Hasson and his clinic will take this into account and do the right thing – just refund the money.

BTW – still no response from Doug regarding an appointment with Dr. Hasson for next week.

Wow, I must admit that i'm finding it difficult not to side with Corey on this one. I tried to reserve my own opinion on this matter until I had heard from both sides. Obviously there is a 3rd side to this story - the truth, but based on what I have seen above, it seems as if H&W were less than upfront with this patient regarding managing his expectations, and really trying to be honest about what the final outcome would be, and more focused on making the sale and taking his money. I myself am strongly considering Dr. Hasson for my 2nd procedure, and rate him up there in the top 5 strip surgeons on this planet. Two other things I don't like:

1) David admitting that Dr. Hasson is not happy that Corey posted on this thread. Really???. Are you kidding me? What else is this guy sposed to do? That just comes off as unprofessional, and I am extremely dissapointed that Dr. Hasson made that known. He has every reason to not be happy about this thread, but keep that to yourself.

2) I respect H&W trying to defend themselves, but as other posters have mentioned, it looks foolish the way they are trying to claim this procedure as a success. Yes, the grafts may have grown, but if this was always going to be the final outcome, then it is truly shocking that they did not communicate this fact to Corey. Joe's e-mail says it all, and it will be difficult for David to counter that. You can see crystal clear they were trying to make the sell rather than communicating realistic expectations with this guy.

Sorry David, I have supported H&W on other threads, but you have lost me on this one. I would do right by this guy, give him a full refund, lick your wounds, and move on.

Finally, Corey, I know you don't want to remain with this clinic, but have you considered letting Dr Wong having a full go at repairing your crown? I believe he is the best in the business when it comes to crown work, and honestly, I think you will struggle to find a better surgeon for crown work out there. Maybe H&W can give you thwt procedure for free (more than 1,000 grafts)? Just a suggestion.

Bill /David? Hopefully you will allow his post to go through - it's only fair

Guys,

Cprey's post was not being censored for its message. It contained a trigger word that I see Corey ultimately removed and he has reposed the original message.

Please be aware that we are not always see a given post immediately and are not always available to moderate. We try our best to take care of these things in a timely fashion.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I’ve posted a YouTube video of my case. You be the judge:

https://youtu.be/nNLTjj6oYPA

Guys do the right thing. Refund this man his money. He has been through enough for two years and I can't imagine how this must be affecting him psychologically. Refund his money.

has any rep from the clinic responded to this thread? what is their side of the story? what are they offering as a solution? we all know that HT surgery is not an exact science, if anything its simply "illusion" of creating density in the best surgeon's hands ... we don't end up with more hair but just the distribution of existing hair from the safe zones .. not all cases are the same nor can they be 100% success stories

has any rep from the clinic responded to this thread? what is their side of the story? what are they offering as a solution? we all know that HT surgery is not an exact science, if anything its simply "illusion" of creating density in the best surgeon's hands ... we don't end up with more hair but just the distribution of existing hair from the safe zones .. not all cases are the same nor can they be 100% success stories

Um, yes David from H&W has posted their position along with pictures on this thread.

Again I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I don't wish to hash through all the comments any further here as I don't see it being productive to this conversation. What does matter is that Corey remains unhappy and it certainly is apparent that his expectations were not met. Dr Hasson saw this on his 3 follow ups to the clinics. He wanted Corey to wait to see the full growth. It seems from Corey's postings and talking to Dr Hasson a misunderstanding has occurred. Dr Hasson offered Corey a free surgery or partial refund at the 17 month stage as Corey was still unhappy with the growth despite Dr Hasson showing him the photos like we have in this thread that the growth had been consistent with the placement for the area.

As I pointed out in my first post on this thread that we take patient complaints very seriously and I have spoken again to Dr Hasson and Doug this morning and we all want to work with Corey to resolve his continued dissatisfaction so he can move forward.

Corey, please expect a call on Monday morning when we are back in the clinic to discuss this matter and I hope we can reach an acceptable resolution.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Guys,

Thank you for everyone's input on this topic. Based on everything I've seen and read, I do feel that there has been some improvement as shown in the after pictures. That said, the improvement doesn't appear overly dramatic and is indeed relatively minimal. The crown is a difficult area to transplant because it's much like a "black hole" for grafts. Ultimately, it's very difficult to achieve any real appearance of density based on the natural whorl pattern and it would take many more thousands of grafts to make the crown appear a significant amount denser than it is. The real question is, how many of the grafts actually grew and how many didn't?

It's honestly very difficult to assess this case. Photos are great, but they don't always tell the whole story. For example, how much additional native hair did he lose after surgery? Perhaps some of the natural hairs on their way out have fallen out forever and have been replaced by permanent transplanted hairs. While the cosmetic improvement may be minimal, the long term effect is significant. In other words, Corey will no longer ever have to worry about having a bald spot, which would most likely have occurred in time had he not undergone surgery.

Ultimately, I'd like to see Corey happy with his the end outcome, just as I know Hasson and Wong, who has a stellar reputation for being an outstanding clinic does as well. Thus, I trust that Hasson and Wong will work with Corey privately and publicly to address his concerns and do what's fair for him.

Corey seems like a genuine patient who simply wants to be satisfied with the outcome of his surgery and Hasson and Wong have a reputation for being stellar and standing behind their patients. All physicians have cases of poor growth and unhappy patients. It's how these situations are handled that separate the best from the rest.

Best wishes,

Bill

All physicians have cases of poor growth and unhappy patients. It's how these situations are handled that separate the best from the rest.

Best wishes,

Bill

Well said Bill! Thus far H&W unfortunately has not been handling this matter as best as they should in my opinion and as evinced by mav23100gunther's post below.

Wow, I must admit that i'm finding it difficult not to side with Corey on this one. I tried to reserve my own opinion on this matter until I had heard from both sides. Obviously there is a 3rd side to this story - the truth, but based on what I have seen above, it seems as if H&W were less than upfront with this patient regarding managing his expectations, and really trying to be honest about what the final outcome would be, and more focused on making the sale and taking his money. I myself am strongly considering Dr. Hasson for my 2nd procedure, and rate him up there in the top 5 strip surgeons on this planet. Two other things I don't like:

1) David admitting that Dr. Hasson is not happy that Corey posted on this thread. Really???. Are you kidding me? What else is this guy sposed to do? That just comes off as unprofessional, and I am extremely dissapointed that Dr. Hasson made that known. He has every reason to not be happy about this thread, but keep that to yourself.

2) I respect H&W trying to defend themselves, but as other posters have mentioned, it looks foolish the way they are trying to claim this procedure as a success. Yes, the grafts may have grown, but if this was always going to be the final outcome, then it is truly shocking that they did not communicate this fact to Corey. Joe's e-mail says it all, and it will be difficult for David to counter that. You can see crystal clear they were trying to make the sell rather than communicating realistic expectations with this guy.

Sorry David, I have supported H&W on other threads, but you have lost me on this one. I would do right by this guy, give him a full refund, lick your wounds, and move on.

Finally, Corey, I know you don't want to remain with this clinic, but have you considered letting Dr Wong having a full go at repairing your crown? I believe he is the best in the business when it comes to crown work, and honestly, I think you will struggle to find a better surgeon for crown work out there. Maybe H&W can give you thwt procedure for free (more than 1,000 grafts)? Just a suggestion.

Mav is right. It really does seem that H&W was more interested in "the sell" rather than the patient in this example. I'm perplexed as to why H&W is handling the matter in this fashion. It's bad business. Not just for the patient (Corey), but for future patients who are reading this thread and say to themselves, "I don't want that to happen to me, so i'm gonna take my business elsewhere."

Corey spent 18 months waiting for a result which did not deliver, now has a scar for a procedure which did not deliver and had to earn/save/spend $12K on a procedure which did not deliver.

H&W on the other spent roughly 1 day's worth of labor and supplies for Corey's procedure.

It's evident who lost more in this comparison, but just in case its unclear, it was Corey.

I hope the folks over at H&W understand that this business is highly dependent on reputation. Because thus far in regards to the handling of this matter, H&W has received a slight bald spot on the crown of their reputation. Hopefully Dr.'s Hasson and Wong will do whats right and restore density to their crown. I'm sure they can, because as Mav so eloquently stated, "Dr. Hasson is in the top 5 strip surgeons on this planet." Let's hope he does his best to keep it that way by doing what is right today.

I consider H&W one of the best Strip clinics out there. Hope that they can work with the patient to an amicable solution here.

Really shows there are no guarantees in Hair transplants regardless of whether you go FUE or FUT. Patients need to way it up carefully.

Can I ask who changed the title of this thread?I I thought this was a different thread when I clicked on it?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with Bill that it would take a lot of grafts to make this look significantly more dense, but that's because this just a crown case. Its the mid section too. I also do think more hair was lost and the hair that is there now is largely dht resistant. However, I hope that the clinic and the pt come to an amicable agreement that's reasonable. Good luck to both.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The title of the topic was changed at the patient's request. I believe this is because the patient and Hasson and Wong are working out a solution and after discussing it and the details, the patient felt that it was unfair to call it a "bad" result even if it wasn't exactly what he wanted. I will leave it to the patient to respond with the details as he was the one who requested this.

The title of the topic was changed at the patient's request. I believe this is because the patient and Hasson and Wong are working out a solution and after discussing it and the details, the patient felt that it was unfair to call it a "bad" result even if it wasn't exactly what he wanted. I will leave it to the patient to respond with the details as he was the one who requested this.

That's nice to hear. Hope they work it out.

View Spanker's Website

Thanks to everyone who followed along on this thread and offered their feedback. I appreciate all the honest opinions.

As some of you noticed, I edited the name of this thread. It is clear that I had a different expectation for the procedure. I do value Dr. Hasson’s work and by no means do I think I’m a typical case. I appreciate the efforts made by Doug at H&W to help Dr. Hasson and I reach a mutually agreeable conclusion. I’m looking forward to moving on from this experience.