Dr. Hasson FUT 2391 grafts

Corey53

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update would be appreciated. This is the second unhappy guy in a couple of weeks. Considering H&W but concerned Dr. Hasson would say the hair transplant was a success??? The hair transplant was a fail and a full refund is in order no doubt. Will H&W pay for to you have the procedure with another doctor?

Sorry double post

I'm current 5 months out from my procedure with Dr. Hasson and I also had crown work done. I'll post pictures at the 6 month mark for anybody curious

I hope your situation works out for you

Definitely curious about pictures

I agree on holding Dr. Hasson to his previous pledge of full refund.

I'm a first time HT candidate and Dr. Hasson is in my top 3 choices, but if this is how he operates his business then I would choose to spend my time, follicles & money elsewhere.

I'm also anticipating any updates from both sides, so please share when available

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I reached out to Corey53 and he is now in conversation with my colleague Doug regarding his situation. We will do all we can to work with him to address his concerns.

We do not feel that the photos that have been posted so far reflect the result fairly and only when posting photos in the same lighting angles can you honestly make an assessment on the crown area. If anyone assesses their own crown in the mirror due to the nature of the surface area the density can appear to increase or decrease quite significantly due to lighting and the angle of your head as it catches the light.

I wanted to post these photos earlier but we have been changing our servers to our new website so it has not been possible. The photos are very high resolution side by side and with a slider to present the most accurate representation of the growth and identifying the transplanted hairs in the post op photos.

Doug will be talking further with Corey53 now he has seen these photos and I will update more here when that has happened.

Corey 53 Photos

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree that lighting and angles make a huge difference. But what I dint u der stand is how Dr Hassan can state and admit at the 13 month mark that there has been little growth and then at 17 month mark completely switch. I don't see how the result could have gone from little growth at 13 months to a good result at month 17. Hasson and Wong are one of the most respected fut surgeons so hearing his this has been handled is shocking. Hopefully you get this resolved.

I think that the result is bad and the patient is entitles to a full refund. Feel sorry for you but the bright side is that it's not a large session :) I respect Dr Hasson and I met him in person and he was so nice and respectful, but I will keep an eye on this case to assess my decision based on the outcome.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I reached out to Corey53 and he is now in conversation with my colleague Doug regarding his situation. We will do all we can to work with him to address his concerns.

We do not feel that the photos that have been posted so far reflect the result fairly and only when posting photos in the same lighting angles can you honestly make an assessment on the crown area. If anyone assesses their own crown in the mirror due to the nature of the surface area the density can appear to increase or decrease quite significantly due to lighting and the angle of your head as it catches the light.

I wanted to post these photos earlier but we have been changing our servers to our new website so it has not been possible. The photos are very high resolution side by side and with a slider to present the most accurate representation of the growth and identifying the transplanted hairs in the post op photos.

Doug will be talking further with Corey53 now he has seen these photos and I will update more here when that has happened.

Corey 53 Photos

I have no dog in this fight but, sorry, to my eyes the high resolution photos prove to me that this was not a successful procedure. Were there some new hairs identified in super high resolution photos? Sure. Would this be even slightly within my definition of acceptable or a successful transplant? Not even close.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Corey 53 Photos

Sorry David,

I just don't see much of a difference between the before & after pics besides obvious different lighting. I think it's a stretch to say this was anything close to a success. Hopefully you guys will do right and give this guy a bone of some sort.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I also appreciate David (Garageland) posting the office’s photos. Those are the same pics that I saw with Dr. Hasson and Doug during my visit on June 15. You should know that the length of my hair in those pre-op photos was at a #3 guard on the crown and the post-op photos (at 17 months) were at a #6 guard. Dr. Hasson also spent around 10 minutes combing my hair to make it look the best it could be for the 17 month pics.

I acknowledge that David’s photos are the ones that I requested from Doug via email on July 5. I didn’t hear back from Doug by the time I wanted to post this write-up on the forum, so I just used my cell phone camera pics and mentioned in my original post that I’d be happy to put up the clinics pics once I received them. I also said I’d post the graft implantation pic (which you will find now below).

I do understand David’s comment about taking the pics in the “same lighting angles [so that you can] honestly make an assessment on the crown area.” You should know that my cell phone pics for pre-op and post-op/today were taken in the same light and in the same spot in my home. For the Hasson & Wong clinic photos, I agree with “mav23100gunther” that I “don’t see much of a difference between the before & after pics besides obvious different lighting.” I haven’t changed my hair colour so I’m not sure why H&W’s pics show my before hair colour so much lighter. Anyways, even with the questionable lighting difference, I agree with the responses thus far saying there is “minimal growth” and that “this was NOT a successful procedure”.

Here is what has been happening behind the scenes:

July 15, 2015

I got a call from Doug (3 days later after my forum posting) and we had a 30min debate about my results. I told him I wanted what I was promised from Dr. Hasson, which was a full refund so I could move on to a different clinic. He said very clearly “no” and instead offered for H&W’s clinic to do 1000 grafts FUE. I told him that I wasn’t comfortable with that offer. First off, I don't have confidence in the clinic right now due to my first procedures results and secondly, I don't like how I’ve been treated lately. I was adamant with Doug that I just wanted to move on and get what I was promised by Dr. Hasson at 13 months – the refund.

July 20

Doug called me and we had another 30min debate about the results. He kept saying that their office was “satisfied with my results” but they knew the hair didn’t grow to its full results. He also said that Dr. Hasson didn’t remember offering me the full money back refund and Doug conveyed that Dr. Hasson wasn't happy with me posting my situation on this forum. To be honest, I had no intention to disrespect the clinic by posting on this forum but instead wanted some honest feedback from the hair transplant community regarding my situation. I was quite clear with Doug at the end of the call, saying that all I wanted was this situation resolved and to provide me with the refund so that I could move on.

Later July 20

I emailed Doug later in the day on July 20 to ask if I could book another appointment (next week) with Dr. Hasson so that I could handle this directly with him.

July 21

Doug emailed me back saying that he will “get back to me… and hopefully we can set something up for next week.”

So that’s where it stands right now… I’ll provide another update when I have further details. I feel like my situation is just being dragged on. I hope that I will be able to post a positive conclusion to this thread and that Dr. Hasson will uphold his word and provide me with the full refund that I was offered at my 13 month visit. I know my case is probably rare but I’d like to see this clinic take care of its patient.

FYI - I was going to post a video of my results to give everybody an even better look at my post-op/today’s result but decided not to because even with professional pics from H&W, the results still look like crap. However, if you want to see the video, just let me know.

Honestly, this is the kind of result one sees from one of those unreputable clinics. Also, the doctor should know that in the age of internet their results are going to be online, period. Doctors aren't the only ones who get rated online. All businesses have been affected by the internet, so there you go.

I see no significant change in any of the photos I have seen. This has not made a visual difference at all.

I agree the after care should be better. And if a refund was promised then they should adhere to that.

We all know that even with the top Drs there will be occasional poor results. This is one of them.

Please stand by your patient and deliver what was promised.

I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts on this case. I have spoken to Dr Hasson in depth regarding Corey's situation and his version of events differ to Corey's.

Despite Corey being on Propecia for a number of years before surgery he was still loosing hair - a fact that he admitted on his consultation form at the clinic. His loss was not stable and Dr Hasson believes that he has probably lost hair since the surgery and will continue to lose more hair in the future. I have attached two photos which indicate the extent of where Coreys loss may progress to. It would not be appropriate to transplant his crown with high density and consume a large proportion of his donor. Dr Hasson did not plant this case at high density (he went for coverage which is the realistic goal for most patients when addressing the crown). The crown does not benefit from the same shingling that the hairline does so it is not possible to create that illusion of density that you can achieve there with a similar number of grafts. Had Corey not had a much larger area of visible thinning into the crown Dr Hasson might have felt it appropriate to plant at a higher density, but it would not be right to use up 50% of someone's donor hair just to provide higher density into the crown. What would happen when the rest of the crown opens up or the mid scalp?

POTENTIAL AREAS OF LOSS HIGHLIGHTING NEED TO BE CONSERVATIVE WITH PLACEMENT.

2-line-2000b.jpg

1-line-2000b.jpg

This was never a dense pack case and Corey had a large number of single hairs the breakdown is as follows. Singles 855, Doubles 1328 and 208 multi hairs.

IMMEDIATE POST OP.

5.jpg

To get the appearance of density that would come close to resembling Corey's native density that surrounds the thinning area Dr Hasson would of had to use over 4000 grafts. Corey unfortunately does not have the donor to use over 4000 grafts into the crown alone when you take into consideration his potential hair loss pattern.

Corey visited the clinic for a 13 month assessment as he was unhappy with his growth and couldn't see for himself much of a visible difference from his pre op situation. After inspecting his scalp Dr Hasson agreed that the growth had been slow up to this stage but under magnification he could see a number of new miniaturized hairs that had recently come through and pimples to indicate new hairs still sprouting. Dr Hasson asked Corey to be patient and come back to see him as he knew that the result would improve. Corey asked Dr Hasson what would happen if growth didn't come through as promised. Dr Hasson said that if it didn't improve then he would refund Corey's money. Dr Hasson did not offer a full refund at that time because there was a lot of immature hair coming through in the crown area. Crowns take longer to see full growth which is why Dr Hasson asked him to come back again when the growth had matured.

If you view the side by side photos taken at 13 and 17 months you can clearly see that there has been more growth. The 13 month photo shows baby fine hairs, bare areas of scalp and a number of pimples. The 17 month photo shows that there has been a filling in of these areas with transplanted hairs and still some pimples indicating that some more growth might be possible.

Dr Hasson went through in detail the growth from the surgery and the improvement from the 13 to 17 month photos with Corey and his wife and he seemed to accept this was the case. While Dr Hasson was happy with the growth it was still clear that was Corey was still unhappy. Dr Hasson offered to do another surgery for 1000 grafts or that he could have a partial refund as it seemed his expectations were not aligned with the reality of what the number of grafts placed into a his crown would achieve and Dr Hasson took responsibility for this.

For all those posters that have expressed an opinion no one has asked a crucial question of how large the area was and without this information no one can make a proper judgement on the success or failure of the transplant. The size of area will affect the density- for example the density of a 8cm bald spot would be double that of a 12cm transplanted with the same number of grafts.

The high resolution of our photos enables you to identify every single transplanted hair that grew irrespective of minor changes of lighting and hair length.

COMPARE MONTH 13 TO MONTH 17

corey-side-by-side-closeup-1.jpg

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Had Corey not had a much larger area of visible thinning into the crown Dr Hasson might have felt it appropriate to plant at a higher density, but it would not be right to use up 50% of someone's donor hair just to provide higher density into the crown. What would happen when the rest of the crown opens up or the mid scalp?

Thank you for your reply. I'm curious was any of this communicated to the patient before he decided to embark on his surgery?

There seems to be conflicting versions of what occurred but if the patients expectations were not correct from the beginning I can see why the patient would think the results are underwhelming.

So it was communicated that his result would be very minor? I had an extensive conversation with my surgeon about my expectations and my expected results. I am just wondering if the same happened here.

I can totally understand the point about frontal hair and the shingle effect . My own transplanted hair looks very thick when viewed from the front and sides but if you look top down , you can see it is thinner . The optical illusion that angling and layering creates via the hands of a skilled surgeon is what makes a small donor supply go a long way . The crown unfortunately does not benefit from this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think H and W are a brilliant clinic, and if I wanted strip surgey these would be the guys I would go to, even with the odd bad result..shit happens. No one's perfect...you can't hit the bullseye every time.

But...this operation was a failure, the patient isn't happy, everyone reading this thread can see it was a failure. I know it can obviously be a shot to the ego when you are so good at something, and you don't quite hit the level your use to hitting.

Just give the guy his money back as promised, hold your hands up and admit it was a failure and move on. I think everyone will respect the clinic a lot more for that, rather than trying convince us that this was a good result.

I think H and W are a brilliant clinic, and if I wanted strip surgey these would be the guys I would go to, even with the odd bad result..shit happens. No one's perfect...you can't hit the bullseye every time.

But...this operation was a failure, the patient isn't happy, everyone reading this thread can see it was a failure. I know it can obviously be a shot to the ego when you are so good at something, and you don't quite hit the level your use to hitting.

Just give the guy his money back as promised, hold your hands up and admit it was a failure and move on. I think everyone will respect the clinic a lot more for that, rather than trying convince us that this was a good result.

Well said.

The most upsetting thing is when a clinic wants you to see something that is not there. This is not a successful operation (a failure). H and W are the best FUT guys. This is not a good representation of their results. It reminds me of a moderate response to Rogain.

If Dr Hasson considers this a success, then what is a failure:confused:?? I feel sorry for you Correy53 that you have to go through all of this. But be sure that one day you will have a new thread that shows you results after a corrective surgery and you know what..your hair will look stunning :cool:.

I'll stick up for the clinic here. Sure, it's not a home-run result. But most of us know that crown surgeries are notoriously difficult, and that crowns gobble up a huge number of grafts to achieve anything approximating native density.

Looking at the slider pics (very neat too, BTW--I'd love to see more of these), I can see how 2,000-ish grafts grew. There's obviously a difference, albeit not a day-and-night one. It's possible that the patient experienced some shock loss, and the point about conserving donor grafts is well-taken.

Here's the thing: I think even the best clinics are not good at controlling patient expectations. Most patients have never seen a head of transplanted hair before, and their expectations are wildly out of sync with reality. Pictures--even clear ones--don't do the trick. Patients need to be told in clear terms: "The transplant will not be as dense nor look as dense as native hair. Your new hair will not be a substitute for the denseness or naturalness of your native hair." Period.

I had a homerun transplant of 1,450 grafts at my hairline. I was 29, and had nearly full native density behind the transplant. When it first grew in, I was despondent; the density looked see-through to me and didn't match my thicket of dense, native hair. Three years later, I'm completely stoked with my results, and I've learned that no one even notices that the hair in front is a little thinner. But my surgeon didn't talk any of this through with me, and I expected something that's impossible to deliver.

I don't know what kind of conversation Dr. Hasson had with this patient beforehand, but either it wasn't candid enough or the patient didn't absorb it. I think some free grafts are probably in order, but a full refund seems a little excessive to me.