Is it safe to take antibiotics with Finasteride?

Hey guys.

I have been taking finasteride for the last 6 months. I'm currently under the weather with a bad cough and bad headache. I rarely get sick but unfortunately being winter I currently am. The doctor has prescribed me an antibiotic called amoxycillin at the moment to help with this. I have been taking this for almost a week now and just for safety reasons I have temporarily stopped taking my daily finasteride quarter of a tablet.

Once I finish taking the amoxicillin in another week, I will go back to taking the finasteride. By temporarily not taking finasteride, will this majorly effect my hair regrowth process? Is it ok to take both the tablets?

Thanks.

Wayne.

Amoxycillin is the go to antibiotic for a lot of conditions. A quick review of med interaction sites show little cause for concern. Especially since it is a transient solution.

Of course, a call to your prescribing doctor to verify that YOU will have no problem is prudent and the best answer!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Wayned,

Welcome to this community. I'm not a physician but I've never heard of finasteridd interacting or interfering with any other medication. If your prescribing physican lets us no otherwise please come back to advise our community because I would be incredibly surprised.

Best wishes,

Bill

We have been prescribing antibiotics after surgery for a long time and advising patients that it is fine and safe to continue with finasteride without issue. Why not just ask your Doctor if you have concerns?

Also I doubt that by not taking fin for a week will have a major effect on your hair, either way I don't think you will be doing any harm.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I can't imagine that this would be a problem. I would be incredibly surprised as well. Not to mention, don't the pharmacists and/or doctor ask for any other medications you would be taking when they prescribe you something? If so, they would definitely advise you if there was anything to be concerned about at all. Regardless, the pharmacist/doctor will be able to give you a definite answer on this, so I'd give them a call if you're still unsure. No need to stop taking Finasteride if it's not necessary.

And I understand the urge to be overly cautious, but we do tend to overcomplicate things sometimes. I can be guilty of this as well, but I really don't think this is necessary here.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56