Dr. Lindsey Video of Female Temple/sideburn MFUE

This pleasant lady has polycystic ovary and sideburn hairloss worse on the right than the left side. She has decent hair density in the donor area yet has fairly fine hairs. She declined strip worrying that at some point in the future she may need a shorter hairstyle and while I don't think anyone would ever see a strip scar in her scalp...she opted for MFUE. I discouraged her from standard FUE due to both the fine nature of her donor hair and her likelihood of needing more hair in the future.

Most of the video has no vocal sound although in pertinent parts you can hear us talking.

Wendy video'd her on postop day 1 before and after cleaning as well. Her sutures will come out next week and I'll get pics of the recipient and donor areas for the forums.

She's local, and I've operated on her mom....so I believe she'll be available for frequent followup pictures.

The video is :

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Awesome! This lady seemed like a perfect mFUE candidate; needed the yield and quality of a strip, but didn't want the scarring. I suspect she will heal very well. I think the mFUE grafts look excellent too. You can really see the lack of trauma and how healthy they look coming out.

I did want to note, however, that Dr Lindsey is using the largest mFUE punches we experimented with here. Like I said before, we've experimented with a variety of sizes and this was the largest we were considering when taking graft quality and quantity per punch versus scarring into account. The size Dr Feller and I are considering using on most patients -- and will be posting a few cases of later this Summer -- is about 33% smaller.

Much like traditional FUE punches, however, a variety of sizes can be considered. The goal is really to get the "FUE-level" scarring -- diffuse, minimally visible scarring throughout the donor area -- while still optimizing what we get per mFUE punch.

Great video! Look forward to seeing her progress.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Wibbles,

We were obtaining approximately 18 FUGs per mFUE graft with the smaller punches -- which is actually the "medium" size of the punches we're experimenting with. I haven't experimented with the larger punches as much, but I would estimate approximately 24-25 FUGs per mFUE graft.

Price is the same as traditional FUE.

Timescale? Not quite sure what you mean. The procedure is actually much quicker than traditional FUE. It's closer to the length of a standard strip operation. The rest of the post-op timeline is the same as any hair transplant procedure FUSS/FUT.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr L & Blake,

I must say this looks like a good way to go IMO less of a scar even though to do this way say on a 2500 grafts you would proberly need to make what 50 / 60 mFUE punches? But I guess & I'm No Dr that this size punch will heal a lot better than a FUSS scar....

Am I correct

Ontop,

Yeah, sounds like you've pretty much got the idea!

It will definitely heal better than a strip scar in the sense that, well, there will be no strip scar. As long as the millimeter defects left behind by the mFUE punches are closed well and heal properly, the scarring should be very comparable to traditional FUE. By this, I mean that patients should be able to buzz down like they would with traditional FUE with no obvious scarring in the donor region (however, remember that all surgery does leave scarring). And remember, that we are getting strip quality grafts AND significantly reducing damage after extraction by greatly diminishing graft "out of body time" and dissecting them under microscopes so they can be placed appropriately and survive in the recipient scalp.

We're all quite excited about it. Stay tuned for more content from all of us!

Hay Blake.

What is the largest case being done to date doing this mFUE?

Would love to see bigger cases to see how all them punch scars look like plus the donor.

Also would it be safe to say that its less unlikely the small mFUE scar will stretch unlike FUSS because it should heal a lot better than Fuss?

But yep I like it a lot.

A couple of points worth bringing up.

She got 1348 grafts from 41 ellipses and had medium density finer hair.

My biggest MFUE is about 2300 grafts. Depending on donor density, one could easily get 3000 grafts with this approach. At some point though I'd put my personal track record of statistically good strip scars up against a bunch of little scars.... As I've posted many many times, about 1 in 30 strip cases that I do gets a scar 3mm or so wide...a crappy scar. I just don't know who is getting that scar. 28 or 29 out of 30 strips by me will get very good scars. At some point the patient has to weigh these fairly blunt issues and figure the solution that works for them.

Lastly guys...size does matter. Blake brings up the punch size. One one hand I personally would pick this size punch and fewer ellipses with more hair per ellipse over a smaller size with more small scars. At this early point I do not think that a 9mm linear scar is much different than a 12mm linear scar, both less than a mm wide...but you get more hair and have fewer scars with the bigger punch. Next year at this time I may feel differently however.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

So we generally leave these sutures in 10 days...however she had an emergency requiring her to leave the area and we took her sutures out today, day 7.

Nevertheless, most of her donor area remains "virgin" and available for future use, and I'd expect her to have very little scarring from these little ellipses.

Like most people, she didn't clean enough in the recipient area and she's a bit crusty. We'll see her back in a week or 2 for another check.

Dr. Lindsey

5b32e7287fc68_11(1).jpg.dc6227729f37ea71d1c69c208589c589.jpg

5b32e72895210_11(2).jpg.31303eff8ca3d894cb3d50a52cf1505c.jpg

McLean, VA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to beat the floyd. I'm seeing David Gilmour perform in 3 weeks when we're doing consultations in London.

Tickets arrived yesterday!

Dr. L

McLean, VA

I like the look of this procedure as an alternative between strip and FUE, especially for finer haired people like myself, that's what worries me about FUE having fine hair and the grafts being damaged and put under more stress.

Looking forward to seeing more results, and following her progress. all looks good so far.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Petchski,

I think you nailed it: a mix between FUT and FUE (FUT results in the front, no linear scar in the back). And removing the "stress," as you stated above, placed on the fragile grafts is why we obtain the reliable growth in the transplanted areas.

We'll definitely keep you guys updated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

EXACTLY....

As soon as I get the chance I'm putting up a guy who should have had this. Instead he had a bad strip, and then 4000 FUEs with zero growth. Now he's screwed...there is no donor hair to work with.

We had a similar guy yesterday who fortunately had not had his donor area depleted, but rather had MFUE to bolster his previous strip work, avoiding another strip in an already tight scalp with fine hairs.

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA