Review and feedback required for 2500 FUE grafts 13 month result

Hello everyone

I got My HT done in May 2014 from a doctor in India. I cannot disclose further details since I am not too happy with the result and consulting the doc currently regarding it.

The doctor charged for 2500 grafts and said that they would place 100-200 grafts extra at no additional cost. Unfortunately they said they dont allow counting of grafts and nor gave any proper break up of grafts placed. Though I didnt think much about it since I knew 2-3 people through a friend who got a ht done through the doctor with good results and the doctor also has some famous person in his clientele and he looked very genuine in dealing.

Sadly I do not have very good preop pictures. I have tried to upload what I had. I would be very thanful to members if they can answer the following queries so that it would help Me access My result and plan future course of action.

I am using Minoxidil but never took finasteride.

The grafts were placed at frontal hairline, sides and the crown.

1.) Is it possible from the images to tell if 2500 grafts were placed by the doctor?

2.) According to you how has been the yield quality and how many grafts have actually grown from the ones transplanted?

3.) I am experiencing massive shedding these days. Is it possible that I may get some regrowth also or I should stop waiting for regrowth and consider another HT?

I asked the doctor that 2500 looked a bigger number for the area transplanted and he said that I have very light hair thus requiring more grafts which might be true as all My life I have been told by hairdressers that I have light hair.

The doctor said he placed 300-400 grafts in the crown.

I dont know if it is the correct way. I have uploaded images on Imgur.

Before Ht- Before Ht - Album on Imgur

Graft placement- Graft placement - Album on Imgur

13month after ht- 13 month after ht - Album on Imgur

They don't allow counting of the grafts??? What kind of bs is that? Counting of the grafts is one of the thing a surgeon needs to do to know where he's at. It's too much for this surgeon to simply count?

Thin hair sucks dude. 1,000 grafts from somebody with thick dark hair can look better then 2,000 grafts from somebody with thin light hair. I'm in the same boat as you and there's not much you can do about it other than sprays and the such. BUT this is something he should have told you BEFORE the surgery not after.

BUT this is something he should have told you BEFORE the surgery not after.

To be fair to the doctor they DID tell before the surgery that they do not allow counting of the grafts so it was a fair deal. The way I see it is even if they had allowed to count and later thrown away without planting it how would I have known!

Eyes,

Was this from a recommended doctor? You are currently speaking with them about the situation? Any proposed resolution thus far?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Eyes,

Was this from a recommended doctor? You are currently speaking with them about the situation? Any proposed resolution thus far?

Hello

The doctor is not known on HRN but a friend knew atleast 2 people who got a ht done with good results and he has also done quite a few celebrity transplants. The website shows great results.

I visited last month. the doctor said a touch up of 200-400 grafts would be required but since I have also thinned at the mid scalp reason where transplant was not done I should visit one month after so that he can plan how to follow.

I am guessing he wont charge for the touch up but My concern is I am not able to judge how the overall growth has been and should I trust him for a second ht or go with a different doctor?

What are your views on no. of grafts and growth?

-------------------------------------------------------

Just to add the pics I shared have been clicked in good light with top angle. Here is one pic from the front angle.

cksuY09.jpg

You have enough reason not to trust him for another HT, Kindly avoid!

Schedule a consultation with some top recommended doctor from this forum

Is the result that bad? Can you tell from the pics how many grafts you believe have grown?

Any other feedback friends?

I think it looks pretty good where the hairs were transplanted but you seem to have lost a lot of hair being where they were put! Where you looked good pre op now looks worse but where you had grafts placed looks pretty good and quite natural although the picture quality isn't great! Hope you get the results you want and deserve!

Hello

The doctor is not known on HRN but a friend knew atleast 2 people who got a ht done with good results

That is hardly a stellar recommendation when your head is at stake. And websites are designed to make you happy when you look at them.

Your recent photo looks good so I assume your real question is 'did you get what you paid for?" Apparently yes, but since your choice of clinic wasn't going to tell you your graft count, you really have no way of knowing.

I suggest getting a 2nd opinion. And then a 3rd. From a Recommended doc.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hi Eyes,

Altogether, you're okay. Let me explain what I mean. When we see threads like this on the forums, we -- members -- immediately think "disaster" case. This isn't what happened here. Your results probably aren't what you are expecting, but it still looks like you had okay growth and this can be augmented and/or fixed with more procedures.

Also, keep in mind that FUE yield is never going to be the 98%+ we see with traditional strip. I would say that a 2,500 graft case would yield about 2,000 grafts (80% yield) on average. I'm still not sure if you had 2,000 grafts grow -- it's so hard to estimate accurate yield from pictures -- but you did have some growth and it can be augmented. Also, the graft placement and quality of the hairs that did grow look okay as well. Again, this is all good.

Another question will be your donor. If your surgeon spread out the 2,500 extractions appropriately -- and didn't have a number of instances where the sites were scored (cut) but the graft was unable to be delivered (extracted) -- you're probably OKAY for a second pass with decent yield. Two passes with decent yield should get you about to where you wanted to be.

Like a few others said, the best thing you can do is consult with a trusted doctor and get an inperson, professional opinion. Any thoughts on seeing someone else in the area?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Looking at your photo, all be it not good but to me it really don't look that Bad.

I hate to say this but maybe Blake is correct that you may have got a less of a yeild with FUE rather than FUT how much that's all up in the air different people say % numbers, I personally think its a mixture of several factors such as which Dr using what tools, how good & strong your folicals are from your donor, how the grafts was handled & most of all Science meaning just because you take one Folical out from one place don't mean another part would except it oh yep & blood flow them suckers need to have good blood flow also.

Can't tell how many grafts you had which kinda makes me think why didn't your Dr do a graft count?

I would of thought that is kinda standard practice maybe just in certain places huh?

From what I see & very limited its not all doom & gloom, keep on top of your Meds & I think you be fine.

Oh yep....

Vox is dead corrrect these Websites are designed & marketed what he said to make you Happy which I agree with 100% but I would use the word they are designed / marketed to make you feel there is HOPE same sorta thing but i think a little different LOL.

I wish you well.

Stinger/Ontop,

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to make this thread about FUE yield or anything like that. I wasn't. I was really just thinking out loud as I was typing.

FUE yield is variable. It can be excellent -- 90%+ or it can be not so excellent -- 70's%. I personally think the average is around 80%. I know most FUE practitioners say 85%+ is the minimum of what they aim for. However, my point was that this definitely could be affecting this member's overall result, but it could be fixed.

Thanks everyone for the positive replies. I agree with Blake and Other members that the ht was not a failed operation.

The quality and angle of grafts that have grown look quite natural. Following are the areas where I believe are the issues-

1.) There has been less than adequate growth on the right side.

2.) In the front there is a small area where there is very less growth. In light this area looks bald but in dark it looks fine.

3.) Some hair have grown in crown but I am yet to find out if it was adequate growth.

4.) While this all has happened I have also lost some more hair at crown and also in the mid scalp reason where there was no transplant thus worsening things.

I would definitely consult 1-2 more doctors in person before taking a final step and getting their views on graft growth and then decide what to do.

The thing I am wondering is if there are just 300-400 grafts that did not grow should I chose the same doctor for the following reasons-

1.) Along with transplant to other areas he shall most likely do free touch up of those 300-400 grafts. Money though is not a deciding factor.

2.) What have grown looks quite natural I believe. And with the other very good doctors also there have been less than good results.

3.) The doctor himself did slit making in the hairline which has grown well. The slit making (which I realize now is most important part) in some other parts with less growth were done by the techs which I believe might be the reason for bad result. This Time I can talk with the doctor that he shall do all the slit making himself.

Overall this Time I have more information than the previous Time and this makes Me more worried and confused about making the correct choice. I do not know what to do :( . Hopefully the doctors I would visit could help and I get a good result this Time.

Can't remember if you say you take or try any Meds out as I guess you are aware this could help you out long term it won't cure you but it will defo buy you some time & you never know may fill in some of them parts your concerened about.

If this was me...I wouldn't bother going back to a Dr who I feel never gave me his/her 110% as the saying goes once bitten twice shy.

See how things pan out over the next 12mths in the meantime take a good look around study the form that would give you a idea how to move forward.

Best wishes.

Blake,

Its okay I'm used to it, I know you just can't help yourself Ha ha.

Its all Good aslong the OP got some solid advice of which he has, that's all what counts.

Edited by ontop
edit