Conservative Hairline and Temple Restoration on Younger Patient. Dr. Feller, FUT 2600

Hey everyone,

I’m about 11 days Post-op so I figured it was time to upload my photos and detail my experience with Dr. Feller. I first started noticing hair loss, more specifically receding of the temples and temporal peaks, about two years ago. I’ve always had high temples as well as a complete absence of temporal peaks, however I knew I needed to wait until I was at least 25 years old before I opted for a permanent solution. After much research I decided to go with Dr. Feller as he has a massive amount of successful hairline restoration cases. After a positive consultation and much thought, I bit the bullet and scheduled a day for my procedure.

During our consultation and on the day of my procedure Dr. Feller and I decided on a conservative hairline/temple/temporal peak restoration for 3 reasons. (1) Age, at 25 years old, despite my recent commitment to finasteride, it’s next to impossible to predict what my balding pattern will look like over the next 20 years. I absolutely have miniaturization in the mid-scalp, frontal, and crown area. As such, it makes sense that, regardless of finasteride, it wont get any better, and I will eventually have to address each area with ample Hair Units. It’s unwise to commit to a very low hairline at such a young age only to be met with future balding and a depleted donor region, which brings me to number 2. (2) Average Donor Supply. Multiple HT doctors informed me that I have average donor supply and average laxity. It’s definitely not poor, however it’s definitely not great. As a result, I need to save my donor supply for when the times comes to address my mid-scalp and crown area. With this procedure, Dr. Feller actually worked up into the mid-scalp area where I currently have the most miniaturization. So In effect this procedure addressed both my hairline/temple region and the miniaturization in my mid-scalp. No doubt I’ll have to come back to the mid-scalp and address it more aggressively, however I think with this procedure and my recent commitment to finasteride, I will have saved myself a good deal of time. Lastly, (3), and more comically, my massive forehead. It’s probably not possible to see from the pics I posted, but I honestly have a caricature-esque large head. I can say with confidence it’s probably much bigger that 99% of the posters on this site. So, if I did opt for a low hairline, because of my historically large forehead it would require far more Hair Units than the average person, thus further depleting my donor supply when I might need it later in life.

So yeah, I definitely had a great experience with Dr. Feller. I hardly experienced any pain throughout the entire operation. The only difficult part was sitting in the chair for such a long time. When all was said and done, there was actually a surplus of a couple hundred grafts, so Dr. Feller actually went back and inserted them into the miniaturized regions of my mid-scalp. He was really great with talking me through the whole process as I was understandably nervous. This being my first hair transplant, I honestly had no idea what to expect. The entire time he made sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed in terms of pain suppression. Anyways, time will tell if it’s a successful surgery, however I think it looks pretty good so far. My plan is to now address my mid-scalp and crown region, then, and only if I have enough donor supply, to maybe bring the temple region in a little lower. I’ll def. post updates every month or so. Take care!

5b32e713c7102_Pre-ophairlineshowingMid-Scalpminiaturization.jpg.2a83bb085eeef2505a405e9dd1b1dee4.jpg

5b32e713db132_Immediatepost-op.jpg.17dfc9deb5943a994766eda2ffea0e98.jpg

5b32e714001d7_Immediatepost-op2.jpg.42842d193272443732a520b7b97a01b4.jpg

5b32e71447260_Pre-oprecedingtemples.jpg.f4d90b4a30aca33b95445749b92f1845.jpg

5b32e71456c10_Post-optemples.jpg.b53451a6c483f7840243cb816b22ee5f.jpg

5b32e7146855e_Pre-oprecedingtemporalpeak.jpg.098473519208fc705fc55d9db3bf136c.jpg

5b32e714898b2_Post-optemporalpeak.jpg.d687a9a77675271942773400ab0f1c23.jpg

5b32e714a0ed5_FUTscarat6days.jpg.4a4ed99a02117845a8239353a4c2fbb1.jpg

5b32e714b90d9_Post-opcloseup.jpg.7a9d37dd7ec007150fcfd68759d62f43.jpg

Edited by RadioRunner

Hi there,

Great write up. I'm glad you had a great day out with Dr feller, he's definitely one of the very best.

I think your whole approach with your game plan is bang on.

Now comes the part we all hate, but hopefully in next few months you will see it all come together.

Heal and grow well :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Congrats on what looks to be a nice hairline. Dealing with future loss can be a bit of a gamble but going conservative will serve you well into your years. I went conservative - but I have a few years on ya - and my plan is to return and fill the mid scalp and a bit of the crown and just refine my whole framing. Heal well!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• 5 months later...

Hey y'all,

I'm about 6 months post-op so I figured it post an update. Things seem to be going really well! My temporal peaks look really great, and my temples are coming in really really nice. My left side in particular looks well ahead of schedule considering I'm only 6 months post-op and I still have 6 months of growth to come, so this was a pleasant surprise. My right temple looks normal for 6 months I'd say. Overall I'm really really pleased. I'm actually already considering a second procedure with Dr. Feller.

Anyways, all the pics I uploaded, except for the first one, are right out of the shower.

I can't wait to see what the next 6 months will look like! I'll be sure to update every month or so.

IMG_7226.thumb.jpg.9759a618ed96eb149bde0b456ce929c8.jpg

IMG_7259.thumb.jpg.84cab40015ea4f30bc33ce0efc62de4b.jpg

IMG_7264.thumb.jpg.6a0532ce33d0b59cbb827619b9d8318f.jpg

IMG_7258.thumb.jpg.2afea21f1fbafb439286cd60eec0553a.jpg

Edited by RadioRunner

Radio,

Looks like things are progressing nicely! Thanks for keeping the community updated.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Looking awesome, man! And a great writeup about your experience as well.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56