Too young to be bald, please help!

I've been losing hair since I was 14...yep I said it, FOURTEEN. Don't mistake that with forty...your eyes arent deceiving you, 14. My hair loss is significantly severe at this point and to tell you its taken a toll on me over the past few years would be an understatement. My hair line has receded a lot and the top of my head is extremely thin. I'm not really up with the lingo, so I dont know any other way to describe my balding pattern (attached a photo).

The other day I had my first consultation ever with a hair transplant surgeon. Yeah, I know; to get such a serious proceeder done at such a young age, or even think about it, is pretty crazy, but I'm desperate. I've been pulling 50 hour weeks at work, saving up for the possibility of a head of hair. I woke up thinking, "This is the day I've been waiting for my whole life." Turns out the day I've been waiting for my whole life was nothing for a big fat let down. The doctor informed me that 1. I'm too young (no surprise there) and more importantly, 2. My donor hairs are way too thin to have a transplant. He recommended I start taking propecia, revert back to using Rogaine (stopped using it after 3 years around November 2014), and mentioned this cool new FDA home laser treatment machine, the Capilus272. It costs 3k and I havent read many great reviews about it- no thanks! He told me to use ATLEAST two of these products for the next 2/3 years religiously and then the possibility of having a transplant can even be discussed.

I don't mind being patient and doing what the doctor suggests, but I can't help but feel like in the long run it wont make much of a difference. Rogaine worked for me when I used it, but it only slowed the whole balding process down, I'm just gonna get balder and balder. Propecia? 100 dollars a month and it only helps with the back of the crown area according to the doctor. I'm convinced I'll never be able to have a transplant, or an acceptable head of hair (not expecting a full head of hair).

I made this account today in hopes of getting a wide range of opinions from other guys who deal with similar situations. Here's my endless list of questions that I hope can be answered

-I live in New England, but willing to travel somewhere down the line (in a few years, I realize I'm way too young at the moment). Any notable surgeons I should keep an eye out for? I'm currently looking into Epstein, Rahal, Shapiro, but would love to hear other names.

-I'm thinking of using a generic brand of finasteride once my Propecia prescription runs out. Should have the same expectations or are they actually different?

-I've read a bit about BHT, and since my donor hairs aren't ideal, I'm interested in it. What are your opinions on BHT in general and do know any surgeons that have a great history with BHT? I've read about Dr. Epstein and Dr. Feriduni performing it

-What are my other options? I'll take any suggestions in general.

Thanks for reading everyone!

5b32e7139a435_Photoon7-2-15at7.50PM2(1).jpg.37e3b0a39dce61811066e83db336abfe.jpg

Edited by baldingboula
Forgot a question

Sorry for your loss dude its shocking when a young boy like yourself has been given the short straw in liff....its sucks as most of us here also the same 14yrs old is rare but not uncommon though.

You will find it hard for any US Dr to do a HT on you at your age, I'm not even sure if its against the law if your under 21 in the US maybe somebody can chime in anyways.

You look like you got a good shape head on you & a buzz cut going on, have you thought of bic it down & see how things are but still take your Meds at the same time then in a few yrs time grow you hair out & see how things are....you never know.

Its not all doom & gloom there buddy, I know you may not think so at this time.

Good luck...

KO....what is that last comment about?

I've been losing hair since I was 14...yep I said it, FOURTEEN. Don't mistake that with forty...your eyes arent deceiving you, 14. My hair loss is significantly severe at this point and to tell you its taken a toll on me over the past few years would be an understatement. My hair line has receded a lot and the top of my head is extremely thin. I'm not really up with the lingo, so I dont know any other way to describe my balding pattern (attached a photo).

The other day I had my first consultation ever with a hair transplant surgeon. Yeah, I know; to get such a serious proceeder done at such a young age, or even think about it, is pretty crazy, but I'm desperate. I've been pulling 50 hour weeks at work, saving up for the possibility of a head of hair. I woke up thinking, "This is the day I've been waiting for my whole life." Turns out the day I've been waiting for my whole life was nothing for a big fat let down. The doctor informed me that 1. I'm too young (no surprise there) and more importantly, 2. My donor hairs are way too thin to have a transplant. He recommended I start taking propecia, revert back to using Rogaine (stopped using it after 3 years around November 2014), and mentioned this cool new FDA home laser treatment machine, the Capilus272. It costs 3k and I havent read many great reviews about it- no thanks! He told me to use ATLEAST two of these products for the next 2/3 years religiously and then the possibility of having a transplant can even be discussed.

I don't mind being patient and doing what the doctor suggests, but I can't help but feel like in the long run it wont make much of a difference. Rogaine worked for me when I used it, but it only slowed the whole balding process down, I'm just gonna get balder and balder. Propecia? 100 dollars a month and it only helps with the back of the crown area according to the doctor. I'm convinced I'll never be able to have a transplant, or an acceptable head of hair (not expecting a full head of hair).

I made this account today in hopes of getting a wide range of opinions from other guys who deal with similar situations. Here's my endless list of questions that I hope can be answered

-I live in New England, but willing to travel somewhere down the line (in a few years, I realize I'm way too young at the moment). Any notable surgeons I should keep an eye out for? I'm currently looking into Epstein, Rahal, Shapiro, but would love to hear other names.

-I'm thinking of using a generic brand of finasteride once my Propecia prescription runs out. Should have the same expectations or are they actually different?

-I've read a bit about BHT, and since my donor hairs aren't ideal, I'm interested in it. What are your opinions on BHT in general and do know any surgeons that have a great history with BHT? I've read about Dr. Epstein and Dr. Feriduni performing it

-What are my other options? I'll take any suggestions in general.

Thanks for reading everyone!

I felt very sad by Reading your story ?

Could you pls post some pictures of your donor area? Would like to see how it is, since the doc turned you Down

There are way tooo many posts here that are like:

"I want to get a hair transplant, which is the best doctor? Also, I am not taking fin"

"I'm badly losing hair in a NW5 pattern at age 25, but I'm terrified of taking fin. Which doctor should I go for hair transplant?"

Fin is the first step towards treating hair loss, and if you are a young guy, it is unlikely you are a good candidate without it.

There are way tooo many posts here that are like:

"I want to get a hair transplant, which is the best doctor? Also, I am not taking fin"

"I'm badly losing hair in a NW5 pattern at age 25, but I'm terrified of taking fin. Which doctor should I go for hair transplant?"

Fin is the first step towards treating hair loss, and if you are a young guy, it is unlikely you are a good candidate without it.

Yep I get you & agree, seems like some people want there cake & eat it.

Me personally I don't think ill go through a HT at least I know I've got a little control over my hairloss if only to protect my natural hair for long as possible.

I don't know how this topical / tropical stuff is working out with some of these Drs are giving out to Pts who can not or will not try Meds but back to the basics something must at least be tryed esp for these younger guys out there.

Thanks.

Happy 4th

Sorry for your loss dude its shocking when a young boy like yourself has been given the short straw in liff....its sucks as most of us here also the same 14yrs old is rare but not uncommon though.

You will find it hard for any US Dr to do a HT on you at your age, I'm not even sure if its against the law if your under 21 in the US maybe somebody can chime in anyways.

You look like you got a good shape head on you & a buzz cut going on, have you thought of bic it down & see how things are but still take your Meds at the same time then in a few yrs time grow you hair out & see how things are....you never know.

Its not all doom & gloom there buddy, I know you may not think so at this time.

Good luck...

Thanks for sympathizing with me man. Its very discouraging to have it happen at such a young age.I know it's not the end of the world, but I feel as if it prevents me from living live to its full potential at the time being. I'm patient and can wait a few years until I am of a suitable age for a HT, I just want to know if I should even bother getting my hopes up.

I have thought of going bald, but I'm afraid I'll never get back the little I have now if I was to do so. Also, would Rogaine work if I was to shave my head?

Thanks again

In between all the researching, I would recommend using a hair concealer such as caboki or toppik to hide the balding areas. As long as you still have some hair there.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html