HT with Dr Radha 3168 grafts - 30th June

Hi All,

After all the contemplations and comparing situations with results available online, finally took a plunge. My hair loss story starts back in 2010 when I started losing my hair. Like most of the guys, I never thought I will be a victim of hairloss and that time I thought it's temporary and will come back eventually.

Cut to 2012 and the loss was certainly visible. I started looking for solutions online and stumbled over this website from online searches. I did a brief consultation with Dr Radha during July 2014 but couldn't muster courage to go further. Did more of research later, checked various results which were close to my situation. Finally in April 2015 I thought of going for it finally, started conversation with Dr RAdha again and booked a date for 30th June. Her initial estimate was around 3500-3800 looking at my pictures which I sent through email. I booked my ticket for 27th June and return on 1st July.

I had some plans of sight-seeing but did not know the weather would be such a plan killer. Went to the nearest beach once and stayed in the hotel for rest of the days.

Day 1: June 29th 5 PM

Had first consultation with Dr Radha. Reached the place at around 5PM. Soon after Dr came in and had a look at my situation. She gave me sort of good news. First that I have a good donor area, laxity is good, I dont need 3500 grafts but 3000 around would do fine. The not so good news was, my hair is fine, I would need a second session down the line (maybe after 3 4 years). She made a mark of my hairline which we discussed about. I went with conservative hairline for the first session for frontal zone only. After some queries, I left to come back next day.

Day 2: June 30th 8:30AM

Had my breakfast at 7:30AM and reached the place by 8:30AM. Doctor had provided a solution to wash my head night before and in the morning before coming for the surgery. Doctor arrived at 10AM and after clicking some pics, we went to the OP theater. First the team pulled out the graft, she gave me the news that the density is great so she wont be pulling the default 26cm length graft but only 24cm. She pushed some injections and made my skull numb. The grafts were pulled and back of the head sewn. Had a lunch break and then went back for the placing the grafts. I let the doctor decide whatever would be good. At around 6PM, we were done with everything. The doctor provided me with the detailed instructions. Pills for the night, icepack to place under the neck to reduce the pain.

The dreaded night

I couldnt sleep at all during the surgery. It did pain a bit in the middle of the surgery, for which the doctor gave a bit more anesthesia and then there was no more of pain. Came back to hotel, had my dinner and pills and tried to sleep but couldnt sleep at all. I dont know if it was me or it happens with everybody else. All the reviews I read, most of them said they slept like a baby but not me. Bad luck I guess.

Day 3: 1st July

Reached clinic at around 10AM for my first wash. The pain was bearable by that time. One of the assistants gave me the wash while doctor came in for a brief period for some queries that I had. She advised me to stay on Finpecia and also Minodoxil in case it doesnt affect adversely.(I have been regular on Fin from last 3 months). I was provided with a band that I have to wear for 3 days to prevent swelling from expanding. Also some antibiotics for 4 days.

On 7th day, I am supposed to get my stitches removed. (14 nylon stitches)

On 15th day, I am supposed to rub olive oil or coconut oil gently and leave it for overnight. Wash it next day to remove the scabs.

First 7 days, i have to wash my transplanted area with J&J baby shampoo with mild dabbing and the stitched part as well (To not let any infection go through)

After 7 days, I can use normal shampoo. I bought two caps to show doctor which one should I prefer after 15 days. She was fine with both. Till July 13, I have taken leaves/work from home so that I wont have to go out of house much.

No exercises, swimming, heavy lifting, banging head against anything for a month (precautionary I am putting everythning for a month)

No alcohol for 3 days (is beer excluded :D)

Prevent smoking for few days.

And last but not the least, what's done is done. Do not ponder much about what density you are gonna get and what not. The doctor stressed a lot that the numbers are just numbers. 35%, 40% what we say, it differs for everybody.

In all I had 3168 grafts.

1s - 930

2s - 2090

3s - 148

before transplant pics are provided in the following link:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/179170-thinking-about-going-fut.html#post2428119

Will provide the graft region pics in few minutes. Have to click and provide.:P

Now begins the period of wait and everyday checking of your growth.

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The graft placement is attached. I had a total area of 76cm sq as calculated by Dr Radha. Comments welcome.

Edit: In the back the current hair is slightly overshadowing some of the grafts. What do you guys think of the density? I just want something denser than what I had in my pre-op pics (whatever I had in front).

5b32e707bab65_graftplacement.jpg.6db0c9f431cfe6bab3ba0de4329e78de.jpg

Edited by timetoact

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I have the headband on and not able to click the stitches picture myself. I have emailed Dr Radha to send me the pictures as well. Once I get pictures from her, I will post them in here.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I have few doubts which I want to clear:

I will be working from home till 12th July and will be joining office on 13th July. My stitches come off on 7th. So I am preferring to wear a cap from 13th. Will it be fine if i wear the cap whole time long in the office? I dont want to take off the cap in front of other guys and keep on answering everybody that I had a transplant. I told everybody that I had a minor surgery at the back of the head to remove a small lump in skin that was giving me trouble. For this I can go bald but can't show the front of my head to the guys. So, will it be fine after 13th to wear cap all day long during office time?

Thanks.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

You can wear a loose cap to work. grafts will be fairly anchored 2 weeks post op. You have chosen an excellent doctor. I myself had a ht of 4060 grafts by Dr Radha on march. One week to go for 4 months now. I'm already getting good complements from people around me. Sorry I didn't post my procedure and updates. A combination of laziness , fear of failed ht held me back. Just stay positive through the shock loss stage. You'll be fine. Dr.Radha is an artist!

Thanks kopite for the reply. What do you think of 3168 graft for the area she covered? I think it should be fine in terms of density, what say? Also, are you taking any multi-vitamins or something? I am on Finpecia only.

I am not bothered much about the result as of now. She did the best she could as she always does. She is so calm and serene. She didnt mention about the amount even once, though I kept on bringing the topic again and again but she was like, we can talk about it later. I finally paid her when I was leaving for the airport to catch my return flight.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Frankly, I can't comment on the density by looking the pic. I am no expert.May be some of the senior members here would help you out. I am not taking any multivitamins. Daily 1mg oral finasteride, minoxidil solution 5% at night. I used to wear a cap whenever I got out , must admit ,it used to itch a lot. I had a problem with internet banking after the surgery, was kind of embarrassed .but Dr. Radha was totally cool abt it. She told I can transfer the amount once I reach home.

I admit the post op pic is not a clear one as i clicked it myself and there is nobody to assist at this point of time. I have requested Dr Radha to provide me the pictures she took. When should I start mioxidil solution, after 15 days? Dr Radha told me to use nizoral 2% shampoo twice a week to reduce dandruff after 15 days.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Have been following the regimen religiously. Baby shampoo twice a day with dabbing only on the grafts. Continuing Finpecia 1mg. Will start minoxidil and nizoral after 15 days. The head band is there yet. According to the doctor, the head band should be off from tomorrow but i see a bit of swelling on my forehead. Not able to sleep properly as there is some pain in stitches time and again. The head band covers my stitches region behind, that is fine I guess? Have been taking extra care, not bending head much forward, mostly keeping tilted backwards(my own theory that this way scar wont stretch, could be stupid :D). Also putting on the same shirt while clicking all pics, this way the difference can be found easily as nothing else changes other than grafts while moving along the pic journey. (Again some of my stupid theory:D)

Here are the third day pics. Any inputs are welcome. Mostly I would like to know how dense it looks from the pics. I see some native hair left untouched by the doctor in the midscalp. These should grow as well along with the grafts. As mentioned in the first post, I am working from home, not going out at all. Keeping the grafts open and using bandana inside home for short periods only (When someone comes in, dont want to explain my cook or maid what has happened to my head).

20150703_151448.jpg.430e33b9845e36d825ed868780f1bd63.jpg

20150703_151454.jpg.da51aaf2fad911605c0fd7c87f7f8d4d.jpg

20150703_151602.jpg.75ac06a415fe4080353b9166d0aef565.jpg

20150703_151604.jpg.5a572a2af0a0efa54ba3c7c0dc453d98.jpg

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Just received op pictures from Dr Radha, so sharing in here.

Can anyone suggest what brand of minoxidil solution is available in India? And should I use 2% minoxidil or 5% minoxidil. I searched a bit and got confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Tugain 5% solution and Regaine 5% solution are available in India. Both of them are same I guess?

preop1.jpg.c2a47fb1affcb84721406219d029f784.jpg

preop2.jpg.360d185b89ad9e0f11f282292a6b766e.jpg

preop3.jpg.df57842d696b5b786f038f1fcdccfaf1.jpg

closure1.jpg.db4b1137b9bcb47314703752e9e81b74.jpg

closure2.jpg.3a87c7eb6ea87e1c6f05f2d45999ebd1.jpg

closure3.jpg.dc1908e20075c2b7846d70afdc75cf92.jpg

grafts.jpg.78d3647cb70b6e4f74d3b74663107271.jpg

Edited by timetoact

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Congratulations for your first HT! Great documentation.

Work looks clean and good, I am big fan of Dr.Radha. She is the only good doctor in India for FUT!

Avoid minoxidil solutions as it will cause itching coz of Propylene Glycol go for Minoxidil Foam version.

Buy 5% Foam as it's more effective than 2%!

I am not much aware of Indian brands but you can get Cipla Tugain as I have heard some good reviews about it.

Cipla co. Has a very good reputation! I myself use Cipla Finpecia and for Minoxidil I use Rogaine Foam.

Edited by Rawkerboi

Thanks Rawkerboi for your inputs. As you suggested, I will buy foam version of it. One doubt though, does transplanted hair react to minoxidil? I mean if i start using it and then stop it, will my transplanted hair start falling because of stopping minoxidil?

Other way to ask, will the newly transplanted hair get addicted to minoxidil in a negative way?

Also, how does the density look at this point?

Edited by timetoact

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Just remember:- Drugs like Minoxidil and Finasteride is life time commitment!!

If you experience hair re growth and then you stop using minoxidil for whatever reason, then you will loose these new hairs. If you are seeing the benefits then why would you stop? If you don't see benefits then you may discontinue it as you have nothing to loose.

Yes Rawkerboi, thanks for making me aware about it. I am thinking about getting foam and solution both, foam for the morning and solution for the night. I read about foam and solution difference and the glycol in solution actually helps minoxidil go under the skin, although it causes irritation and greasy feeling (using in the night and taking bath in the morning will cancel out the greasy feeling). How do you think about this, as you are more experienced about this stuff?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your experience!. I look forward to following your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David for your input.

For documentation, I have ordered Tugain foam and solution both. Planning to use twice a day. If solution gives me irritation or something, i ll switch to foam only. Otherwise, foam in the morning and solution in the evening. Nizoral will be starting from 15th July. Biotin tablet from today.

After bath, I see white remains like thing at the base of grafts, this should be a normal thing I guess?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

After bath, I see white remains like thing at the base of grafts, this should be a normal thing I guess?

Yep, perfectly normal.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Yep, perfectly normal.

This time after cleaning, took a picture to put in here. Please take a look. I see a lot of white stuff in the scalp. I have seen it in other people's threads as well but I feel I have this a lot and it's just day 4. There isn't any reason to panic over it, or is it? I am using baby shampoo to wash my scalp dabbing with light hands, let lather stay there for 5 minutes, wash my sutures in the meantime and wash it over.

Also, the head band was taken off today. No signs of swelling, maybe because i religiously kept the band on for 3 days continuously even while sleeping.

Kindly comment on this white residue thing. Many thanks.

20150704_213326.jpg.b40db8b99bfcdcdd0f73f885d07404c9.jpg

20150704_213414.jpg.5133fc50b665a84913df9bffe63d5cda.jpg

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Ohh, it hasnt affected grafts adversely, has it?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Not from what I understand per my post-op instructions:

"If the grafts are soaked too long, they may swell and rise above the skin surface and appear as little white bumps immediately after showering. This is a problem more likely encountered the first few days after the procedure. It is not harmful to grafts, but indicates that you are soaking too much. As soon as you allow your scalp to dry, they will disappear."

Thank God it doesnt affect the grafts in a wrong way. I had my heart in my mouth for a moment. Thanks Tav1 for the information. Highly appreciated.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I hadn't realized that you were only 4 days post op. Were you directed to leave the shampoo on for 5 minutes?

Post-operative care varies from doctor to doctor but here is a good general guideline from our Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

How Should I Wash My Hair After a Hair Transplant?

No David, it was my own stupid deduction to leave it for 4-5 mins before washing it off. The grafts get white but turn back to normal within five minutes after they dry. I guess they are fine. Now that I dont let shampoo for long and dont soak my grafts much, the white bulbs arent coming up right after bath. I checked various post op procedures as well, there was mention of this thing as well and it was written that it doesnt affect the grafts. Well, i hope everything is fine.

Thanks for sharing the link, quite informative.

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

I will be going for stitches removal today. Is this process any complicated? The thing is, there is a decent clinic nearby which I intend to go to and there is a more reputed clinic a bit far from my place(Apollo clinic). Will it be fine if I get it done by the clinic nearby or should I go to the reputed one only?

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily