FUE vs FUT

Yeah, read the forum. There's a lot here on the subject.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Oh no ....

Maybe we should make some sticky threads on the subject

Until that time, however, I'll just share the following:

Both are valid procedures. It's important to figure out what your goals are, discuss these with trusted doctors, and pick the technique that best fits your goals.

IN GENERAL, FUE has lower growth yield compared to strip. You will hear a lot of arguments as to how much, and how much of a difference it makes, but it's pretty well accepted. FUE also causes subcutaneous (under the skin) scarring in the donor region which can complicate future procedures. Strip is also more consistent -- in general -- compared to FUE. I also think FUE hairs can sometimes appear more wiry or kinky compared to strip hairs. Now, the caveat here is that strip has the strip scar. Period.

So, to summarize: more consistent rate of success with higher growth yield, softer hair AND a linear scar versus more variable outcomes without the linear scar.

My whole mantra is "doing the right procedure on the right patient."

Are you a 25 year old guy who just wants to fill in his temple recession a little bit to sport a slick, retro undercut? If so, FUE may be a better choice. Are you kind of on the fence about surgical hair restoration -- but want to give it a shot -- and wouldn't be opposed to buzzing down completely ("retreat" as it's sometimes called here) if you didn't like the results? If so, then FUE may be a better choice.

Never shave your head, have no interest in doing so, and really want to get some density back in the front? Then strip may be a better choice. Are you looking for that 'DAMN!' result and feel willing to accept a strip scar -- and the knowledge that it would be visible if you did decided to shave in the future -- to get it? If so, strip may be a better choice.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Edited by Blake_Bloxham

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

oh Nooo round 1000000000000..LOL

Hi there is plenty, plenty of post with FUT V FUE Trust me you havent got to look very far .

Even tho Blake wont admit this but hes Anti FUE as you can see by the FUT V FUE post he means well though LOL,

what he fails to tell you that doing a FUT means that you will have a big smiley face from the back of your scalp from ear to ear & yes you may not give a Rats ass as you will never shave down to a #3 but what if you loose more hair & tap out of your donor bank then what?

where as with FUE you will have little white dots and could be seen only if you buzz down to a #1 cut. which could be your choice of hair loss battle..

My advice would be try Meds first and have a good read up on the pros and cons but if you listen to blake theory there is more Pros with FUT than FUE.

but thats his op and i can respect that.

Blake.....

LOL .....This Kinky, wirey stuff is getting old dude.....once the hair matures after 12 mths it dont look any different and i know your going to say it do but we are going tyo have to agree to disagree.

All of the above and I would say read a bunch of FUT threads and look at the pictures closely (results and donor damage) then do the same for FUE (results and donor damage). Also determine your hairloss and hair characteristics and add that into the mix.

Quick breakdown=

FUT most likely good growth but big scar on the back of your head.

FUE might be less growth but no big scar (small white dots).

Again I would suggest you take your time and really read some threads here before committing to anything. Im sure you'll figure out whats best for you in due time. No rush.

Good luck.

p.s. If you're going to get a HT go to one of the best possible doctors that you can find. Travel if you have to.

Hi Blake,

Thank you for the very informative post. One thing that gives me pause about FUT as a potential future HT recipient is the recovery time post procedure. If I have to go back to work within 1-2 weeks of getting a FUT, I'm hesitant about sticking out due to the recent procedure.

Do most FUT practitioners shave down to do the procedure or do they work around existing hair?

Hi Blake,

Thank you for the very informative post. One thing that gives me pause about FUT as a potential future HT recipient is the recovery time post procedure. If I have to go back to work within 1-2 weeks of getting a FUT, I'm hesitant about sticking out due to the recent procedure.

Do most FUT practitioners shave down to do the procedure or do they work around existing hair?

FUT you can work around the existing hair but usually they shave down the area where the hair will be transplanted. 1-2 weeks after a FUT, you'll look like a freak. FUE is much better to get back to work a couple of weeks later, just with a buzz cut.

Oh OnTop ... what am I going to do about you? Haha. Just kidding.

I'm absolutely not anti-fue. I've studied and researched the technique for years, written multiple articles about it, learned the technique from someone who practiced it from the beginning, practice it, and helped invent a new way to perform it. This isn't someone who is anti-FUE.

However, there are inherent weaknesses of the technique and patients should be aware of the pros and the cons, not just the pros. Many of the 'pro-FUE' people have a really big problem with these problems being discussed publicly, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed.

As far as the character changes, you're wrong. It does happen. It happens for the same reason why all hairs appear wiry and kinky for the first 9 months: changes to the inner part of the follicle. Unfortunately, these changes can be permanent in FUE, and this causes the kink after 12 months. It does not always happen, but it can happen.

I had a member doubt me the other day. I found a few examples with about 2 min of searching on the forums. I didn't hear anything after that. I can send you them as well.

And I clearly discussed the scar. It's a reality and shouldn't be downplayed. However remember that being too negative about FUE to members is just as dangerous as being too positive. Lay out the pros and cons and let the patient and doctor make the right decision together.

Edited by Blake_Bloxham

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Actually Blake can you post and sticky those examples? Would be nice if people can reference etc.

Indeed guys a sticky with a general consensus about the pro's and con's of both procedures would be great in my opinion.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Yeah, I'll have to work on getting some sticky threads made.

Indeed guys a sticky with a general consensus about the pro's and con's of both procedures would be great in my opinion.

What..... so Blake can have his Sticky PRO FUT on top of the forum page day & night? before he hangs up his Mod Status & works with Dr F doing 99.9% FUT? thats a nice going away gift there blake How can you turn that down? oh i forgot your a Mod & it was your idea WOW LOL you can do that, cant you? till next month.

Blake.

No need to send me just 2 kinky, wiry folical shots via PM you can put on this thread if you like being the member wanted to know the pros & cons of both HTs.

But let me stress i know your going to just show me 2 samples out of 10s of thousands which dont show such kinky, wiry looks and even more so after the folical has matured after 12 mths.

Also when you post such pics , i want you to tell us which Dr did this come from?, what tools they used? because as far we willl know these pics may have come from some back street dirty ,dusty lane a Dodgy Clinic in Turkey/ Asia with a Dr who hasnt even got a Dog License & using some tools he picked up from a flee market LOL.

Blake i want to see CONSISTANLY not 1 or 2 Dodgy Pics

my post is with Resepect to Dr Blake, he knows that i hope....LOL

Ontop,

If you want, I will send you the two examples I sent the other member via PM. I'm not going to repost results from member who were good enough to share their progress publicly. This isn't okay. And yes, they are from legit surgeons because it's an inherent flaw in the technique, not the surgeons themselves. And remember, I found these after searching for 2 minutes on the forums. Why was it this easy? Because it happens.

Doesn't sound like you want to see them though. Not too surprised.

I don't need to convince you. Just be aware that this can occur while you're doing your research. If you don't care and would rather take this than the linear scar, then discussion is over. You know what you want and should move forward confidently. However, this doesn't mean that you should deny that FUE -- like any other surgical procedure that has ever existed -- has flaws and inherent weaknesses. Nor should you feel the need to resort to personal attacks when these issues are addressed.

Blake...

my post is not a personal attack if you have taken that way im sorry but saying that i would like to know where the personal attack is coming from? these are just my personal opps from somebody looking from the outside / inwards.

we both have our veiws on topics which is fine so if i feel that something need to be addressed and challanged then so be it after all thats what a public forum is all about right?

so what i will do is ask you being you said that you didnt have to look to far i am looking at the wrong places? becuse ive seen lots and lots of FUEs and havent seen what your talking about.

what i shall do being im obvious got my beer goggles on , every FUE member who post there FUE timeline i will ask them about this Kinky, wiry stuff everytime i see a new FUE PT okay and see what they say......sounds fair?

what we both agree with that there is pros & cons with both HTs and each HT will benifit a particular PT but not all Pts will be good for FUT same as goes with FUE also.

Blake and just for the record and just like you say also that our not against neither and nor i am also.

i will tell you straight as a arrow that i love the constant results FUT has to offer but i also detest that ear to ear scar of which the short term outcome could be A1 but what about LONG TERM? what if a PT was to loose more hair incl the donor area which can still thin out and that scar could show its smiley face scar down the line?

yes i also agree that given my research that FUT gives better consistant results but at least the FUE gives you a exit or as you mentioned to retreat for the PT to have the choice to shave down and call it a day which to me is the safer bet IMO for Long term.

again Blake ....i love the results of FUT but i just cant get past that Scar im sorry dude.

which brings me on to this New Method you broke out this Month now this has caught my attention, im talking about the mFUE now that could be something i would egg you on to do as its the best of both worlds all be it we need to seee bigger grafts being moved.

This to me could be a way forward, i could live with that new way.

again Blake as i said many times your a top guy with only good intentions to help, educate others and we need people like you in this world.

if it was not for guys like you the world would be a less interestin place to live in.

Have a good day.

Edited by ontop
edit

Ontop,

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like we are honestly on the same page. The right procedure for the right patient!

I am very eager to continue working with the mFUE technique. We have already booked a good number of patients and will have some good cases to roll out. Like you said, our intention is to marry the best of both worlds!

Ontop,

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like we are honestly on the same page. The right procedure for the right patient!

I am very eager to continue working with the mFUE technique. We have already booked a good number of patients and will have some good cases to roll out. Like you said, our intention is to marry the best of both worlds!

Blake...

Good job there and i think this could do really well and we all cant wait to see consistant results from this way.

Im kinda excited about this new Method & defo have my support if it stands up for what it is.

Thanks blake have a good day.

Blake...

Being your in the Medical Business & still young, i guess with a lot of young Drs like yor good self and when have limited time to sit down and watch a movie or a show & chill you seem to me that your a guy is all or nothing meaning if there is a movie or a show which is anything Medical your eyes turn right?

well just wondering if you seen the show i think NBC a yr or so ago called Monday Mornings?

Hi Blake,

I had 3 prior FUTs and in each case I was able to go back to work within 8 days of the procedure . No one was wiser . How did I do it ? By growing my hair longer around the area being worked upon. Mind you I also don't have the luxury of thick coarse hair - my hair is actually very fine , so it was more challenging . Depending on your hair characteristics , you may have an easier / more difficult time with concealment .

FUE was not an option for me as I already have a linear scar from FUT 10+ years ago . But if you are starting out for the first time, do give FUE serious consideration. If you are an eventual NW 5+ or 6 , FUT is the most reliable way you will be able to get decent coverage enough to frame your face , but even there you may have to compromise your crown coverage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which makes me wonder if or when I'm going to be booked ...:confused:

I had 3 prior FUTs and in each case I was able to go back to work within 8 days of the procedure . No one was wiser . How did I do it ? By growing my hair longer around the area being worked upon. Mind you I also don't have the luxury of thick coarse hair - my hair is actually very fine , so it was more challenging . Depending on your hair characteristics , you may have an easier / more difficult time with concealment .

FUE was not an option for me as I already have a linear scar from FUT 10+ years ago . But if you are starting out for the first time, do give FUE serious consideration. If you are an eventual NW 5+ or 6 , FUT is the most reliable way you will be able to get decent coverage enough to frame your face , but even there you may have to compromise your crown coverage.

Thanks for the input. As a young hair loss sufferer (late 20s) who is a potential high Norwood in the future based on my family history, I think I will find it very hard to make the choice between FUE and FUT, when the time comes for me to consider surgery.

Despite the ongoing debate (and often personal vitriol) above and on other threads, I don't think the question is solely about having a linear scar or not. It sounds like if you are going to be a high Norwood, you maximize your chances of getting maximal grafts and coverage with at least one FUT procedure. I think this point is what seems hardest to grasp for some folks here. If you go down the FUE only route, you may run out of grafts and may have to be ok with sparse coverage somewhere on your head IF you are going to be a high Norwood.

Like many others, the scar does give me pause. What if I get to a point when I say screw it and want to shave down, I won't feel great about that option anymore as I don't want that scar at the back of my head. However, if I chose FUT, I might have a great result that would taking the need to shave down out of the picture completely. Ultimately, it is somewhat of a leap of faith you have to take based on your maximal anticipated hair loss, hair characteristics and guidance from an experienced doc.

Like many others, the scar does give me pause. What if I get to a point when I say screw it and want to shave down, I won't feel great about that option anymore as I don't want that scar at the back of my head. However, if I chose FUT, I might have a great result that would taking the need to shave down out of the picture completely. Ultimately, it is somewhat of a leap of faith you have to take based on your maximal anticipated hair loss, hair characteristics and guidance from an experienced doc.

You nailed it . While you may not have had any HT experience so far , this paragraph itself is worthy of a "sticky " .

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

Thanks for all of your comments.

Is it true that most HT patients require more than one surgery?

If so, is their an optimal order of operations (i.e. FUT first then FUE or FUE first then FUT)?