' The Gold Standard' maybe generalising is where we are getting in wrong on the forum

Hi all, just a thought and maybe just putting it a different way, but could if be that because we're talking to a forum,we end up generalising ,rather than treating each case as unique, in its own right ?

Surely for some patients after a consultation, the gold standard is to do nothing at all. For another case the gold standard is to look at meds and possibly wait a few years. Then we have strip and fue which both have their strengths and weaknesses. But as long as we refer to one specific method or situation as the gold standard then there's the potential for patients to end up wanting something there not best suited to, with a lot of heartache down the road.

For me when I had my first HT in the UK, the gold standard then should of been to get on meds and wait and see what the next few years bring.

My second HT was a strip surgery and I believe that was the gold standard for me in that situation.

My third HT was an FUE case and I believe that was the gold standard for me at that time.

Maybe it's time to start helping patients by advising on there needs and desires rather than always arguing over the best method.

Just my 2 pence worth

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I don't disagree with you at all. If a potential patient had poor donor laxity, wanted to maintain a buzzed down look on the back and sides and wanted a less invasive procedure, FUE would most likely be the avenue he should seek. On the other hand if a guy had poor donor density, wanted just one big session instead of waiting 12 months for another round of FUE, had good laxity and did not care about buzzing down etc than strip would most likely be the starting point for him.

What I do not like however are surgeons/clinics coming on here and propagating blanket statements universally as if the know every clinics protocol and yield rates. You don't see FUE doctors coming out and saying "40% of strip scars stretch" but we have surgeon's who predominantly practice strip making it out like a good FUE result is a rarity and that it is intrinsically flawed and no one can overcome the obstacles even though there is an abundance of proof showing otherwise.

I'm mainly an FUE guy, but guys like you, Chrisdav, Spanker, Since21, KO etc I don't have any problem with at all because we share a similar(not identical but similar) view on both methods. You guys got great results from strip and I certainly cannot(and would not even contemplate) diminish that. I mainly have a problem with certain industry factions though.

Great two opening comments, I couldn't agree more with both comments, Mickey, you always seem to know what I am thinking. peace out seth

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/