FUT is more popular than FUE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It is simply a fact that FUT is still more popular than FUE...by far.

FUE SEEMS like the "next step", but it has been around for 14 years and it's safe to say that it has failed to launch.

The above sentence from Dr Feller pretty much sums up why he got up people's noses, FUE has failed to launch ,well really is that a fact

Ha don't really wanna start this thing up again just read stevedawgs post about 'why does everyone want to argue with Dr Feller? nobody ever questioned Dr Fellers ability and reputation

Edited by Mick50

really? not a word to contradict the substance of this post?

how bout this..... go to page on results posted by PATIENTS.... its amazing how 13 of the 17 threads pertaining to recent hair transplants are FUE (NOT) FUT. so what does that really say about FUT?

in fact, go to any page on this forum and you will see 70% of the talked about doctors and results will be FUE.

ur post was one of the funniest posts I've read all year. thanx for the laugh I really enjoyed it! oh and ur FUE prices are almost as comical as ur FUT wannabe thread....:rolleyes:

Personal attacks- the main weapon of the anonymous lay FUE chest thumper. Some things never change.

Not a word to contradict the substance of the post. What a surprise.

Remember hair loss sufferers new to HT- these guys hide behind aliases and are NOT accountable for what they tell you.

Mav, I don't discuss who did my procedures online, but thank you for your civil comments.

The only people who put FUE down are outdated doctors who are too lazy to do a 2000+ graft FUE procedure. Why do all that extra work when you can charge $10,000+ per patient and just cut a strip of flesh out their head in 5 minutes? FUT is outdated and barbaric.

ALL HAIL FUE

Doesn't FUT still provide more grafts and less of a chance of overly depleting the donor in specific parts? I'd say that's a pretty good reason for going with the strip scar causing surgery.

If the surgeon is incompetent, there is a chance of over harvesting the donor area yes. Don't choose an incompetent Dr.

• 1 month later...

I don't feel right not being vocal about my experience. I think FUE is superior if you go with the right Surgeon. The Doctor I picked for my (extremely successful) procedure wrote books on FUE, invented technology for it, and serves on the board.

FUE certainly requires a more skilled individual, but the outcome is more exciting. NO SCAR. I'm sorry but I can't handle the thought of Frankenstein. It's almost 2017 and we did it! We invented technology that doesn't require taking a large strip of skin of you. :-)

The only downside is less grafts to grab in 1 sitting, therefore more costly too. But to me it was 1000% worth is because just like not wanting to be bald, I'm keen on no other head blemishes on me for as long as possible too.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

• 1 year later...

Have had a chance to read through this thread. Most of it is a waste of time, but some good issues came to light that I'd like to summarize.

On 8/15/2015 at 9:08 PM, Dr Tejinder Bhatti said:

I believe that after watching your video, Sir, I am in a much better position than you would have the readers believe. You have yet to address the scientific method and the fact that it demands that you prove your claims before one can disprove your claims. That is the very foundation of modern science which you obviously believe will somehow change if you ignore it.

Dr. Feller has made a statement of fact that there are three "detrimental" forces on individual follicular units as a direct result of the procedure known as FUE; torsion, traction and compression. The scientific method demands, by definition, that he prove these forces not only exist but more so that they are so detrimental that they cannot be overcome. It is his responsibility to prove his position.4. Many FUE physicians have demonstrated, on a regular basis, excellent results for several years. Dr. Feller's claim is that these results are rare and they would have been much better (at least 20% better to get to 95% yield based on his Dr. Lorenzo reference) had the procedure been FUSS instead of FUE. If 75% is the top tier of what one can expect, what does Dr. Feller tell his FUE patients to expect for yield? Or is it that Dr. Feller feels his FUE is as good as the recognized leaders in the field, the ones that perform FUE day in and day out, and he tells his patients to not expect more than 75% from his own FUE procedure?

On 8/28/2015 at 6:35 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Dr. Feller already answered how he overcomes them, but these "3 detrimental forces" haven't been proven so until then were speaking theoretically.

The points made by Bhatti and Melvin above have been lost amidst the muck and the mire. Though Feller has been spouting his 3 forces theory for some time, there has not been a single scientific study at even the most basic level to validate his inductive reasoning. No one knows to what degree these 'forces' exist and whether or not they even matter. This isn't Star Wars, the force is not with you. Although 'peanuts' as you describe us, we are not stupid enough to believe something all because you insist and persevorate.

On 8/26/2015 at 4:02 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Little to no facts have been presented, everything thus far has been opinion scientifically speaking, there hasn't been any recent studies comparing FUT vs FUE yield, there have been studies conducted by FUE physicians that show 96 out of 100 grafts grew, but there haven't been any third party studies with no monetary incentive, a lot of you guys blindly follow physicians words without even questioning things.

On 8/29/2015 at 8:54 PM, TakingThePlunge said:

Dr. Feller, I understand your point and, had Dr. Bhatti asked my opinion on editing the video at this stage for any reason, I would have advised him to wait until this thread ran its course. But, I still feel strongly that much like a political debate, this thread would have far more value if all individuals would spend more time presenting the irrefutable data to support their positions rather than playing "gotcha"!

These assertions are paramount. Otherwise we degrade into a "anything you can do, I can do better" type of argument. We cannot afford to be emotional 6 years olds when our hair depends upon us being rational and reasoned consumers/physicians.

On 8/27/2015 at 10:41 PM, Dr. Alan Feller said:

I have never threatened a patient with litigation because patients were unhappy and posted on forums.

Well this just isn't true. We aren't goldfish. You have your lawyer on speed dial.

I was leaning towards FUT before reading this thread, but whenever someone starts reminding me too much of the current president (or Kanye West or Lavar Ball or Conor McGregor) I become extremely skeptical of their claims. There is too much of a tendency towards emotional personal attacks in our culture today in order to generate internet/media attention, and this thread is emblematic of the issue. It is certainly no way to reliably get to the crux of an issue and is usually a sign of declining strength/insecurity.

The bottom line:

-FUE is now more popular than FUT. The tables have turned, and this trend will likely continue. Cardi B being more popular than Mozart does not mean she is a higher quality musician, but the point remains that the title of this thread is no longer accurate in 2018.

image.png.fc42e58ed63afde9e53c13fe64c7851d.png

-FUT historically has had better yields than FUE. This has decreased year by year as FUE yields seem to be improving, at least based on patient submitted cases. There is still no concrete data behind this observation, though having techs that are free to do extractions and implantations (and not subcontracted) seems to be an important part of Europe's emergence as the leader in FUE over the last few years.

image.png.928c3010e06c9a2427fa8c3d0e4976ee.png

-A scar is guaranteed with strip. Poor yield is not guaranteed with FUE, but it is a greater risk.

-There is no objective proof regarding Feller's 3 forces theory, only inductive reasoning and his own clinical experience. Other surgeons have not endorsed him on this observation.

-There is no study that has compared FUT/FUE head to head. Beehner's chubby/skinny graft analysis was all strip.

Lastly, I commend Bloxham, Voorhees, Bhatti and Feller for having an open discussion, as they base their livelihood on their practices and there was no need for any of them to have this debate. Many thanks for the fish, gentlemen.

Edited by bismarck
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Bismarck, 

you have several threads related to FUE vs FUT. Frankly, there is absolutely no reason to bring up a 3 year old thread especially when you have several threads created already. Lastly, we do not want to encourage any further FUE vs FUT discussions.

In fact, we should be viewing FUE and FUT as one procedure and that is follicular unit transplantation, because both procedures transplant follicular units. Both procedures need to be utilized in order to maximize ones donor supply. Thus, we should not be pitting one technique against the other. This will be my last reply on the topic and thanks for your cooperation, we do not need the forum spammed with several FUE and FUT threads all at once. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Bismarck, 

you have several threads related to FUE vs FUT. Frankly, there is absolutely no reason to bring up a 3 year old thread especially when you have several threads created already. Lastly, we do not want to encourage any further FUE vs FUT discussions.

In fact, we should be viewing FUE and FUT as one procedure and that is follicular unit transplantation, because both procedures transplant follicular units. Both procedures need to be utilized in order to maximize ones donor supply. Thus, we should not be pitting one technique against the other. This will be my last reply on the topic and thanks for your cooperation, we do not need the forum spammed with several FUE and FUT threads all at once. 

That is simply not true. I have one other thread that I created about this subject. The other threads are about research or commenting on a discussion that was already under way.

And if your goal is "maximizing lifetime donor supply" then yes they are complementary. But if your goal is to reduce scar risk, then obviously strip is to be avoided. In some scenarios they are complementary, in others their relative strengths and weaknesses need to be compared and contrasted -- it is one of the central issues of hair restoration surgery.

Bismark,

I agree that both FUSS and FUE Our advantageous in different situations. There are certainly times where FUSS is appropriate and preferred over FUE and vice versa. There are also times where they are both complementary and used synergistically to maximize donor hair.

The only comment I disagree with you on, is saying that one particular procedure/donor harvesting method should be “avoided”.   Both procedures  are certainly options and one may be better suited for one patient over the other however, I wouldn’t say one should be avoided necessarily. They both produce scarring, albeit different kinds  and I understand what you mean about strip coming with a few additional risks regarding scar stretching, etc.  In the hands of a skilled physician, risks of bad scarring are minimal however, It obviously can’t happen. Moreover, bad scarring can occur with FUE, while rare, it’s certainly can happen.

best wishes,

Bill. 

6 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Both procedures  are certainly options and one may be better suited for one patient over the other however, I wouldn’t say one should be avoided necessarily. They both produce scarring, albeit different kinds  and I understand what you mean about strip coming with a few additional risks regarding scar stretching, etc.  In the hands of a skilled physician, risks of bad scarring are minimal however, It obviously can’t happen. Moreover, bad scarring can occur with FUE, while rare, it’s certainly can happen.

This is a fair point. Thank you for the caveat.

16 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Bismark,

I agree that both FUSS and FUE Our advantageous in different situations. There are certainly times where FUSS is appropriate and preferred over FUE and vice versa. There are also times where they are both complementary and used synergistically to maximize donor hair.

The only comment I disagree with you on, is saying that one particular procedure/donor harvesting method should be “avoided”.   Both procedures  are certainly options and one may be better suited for one patient over the other however, I wouldn’t say one should be avoided necessarily. They both produce scarring, albeit different kinds  and I understand what you mean about strip coming with a few additional risks regarding scar stretching, etc.  In the hands of a skilled physician, risks of bad scarring are minimal however, It obviously can’t happen. Moreover, bad scarring can occur with FUE, while rare, it’s certainly can happen.

best wishes,

Bill. 

Could you please reference a few cases that you consider to be bad FUE scarring from highly recommended, first tier clinics? 

Edited by delancey

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I showed my girlfriend an operation of FUT and she cringed and asked why anyone would do that. It is barbaric. You are cutting a chunk of FLESH out of somebodies head when you can do a less invasive method of extracting grafts singularly. Dr's are making complete BANK off of hair transplants with some charging up to 10$ per graft, that is insane. It comes down to morals and how rich people feel they need to be. Honestly, if I could perform hair transplant surgery, I would do it making a comfortable living of 40K a year just so people could enjoy their lives without having a chunk of their head cut out and being able to enjoy a full head of hair. Its not fair some people are born and for the rest of their lives enjoying a full head of hair where as other people bald, society demands appearance and Dr's quite literally take advantage of peoples insecurities. No reason in this world a Dr has to make that much money off of other peoples insecurities. Any Dr morally could take the time to perform a surgery FUE, making sure the grafts were properly harvested and placed correctly to insure good growth at a reasonable rate. Money greed is a horrible thing and honestly a shame.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Squidward said:

I showed my girlfriend an operation of FUT and she cringed and asked why anyone would do that. It is barbaric. You are cutting a chunk of FLESH out of somebodies head when you can do a less invasive method of extracting grafts singularly. Dr's are making complete BANK off of hair transplants with some charging up to 10$ per graft, that is insane. It comes down to morals and how rich people feel they need to be. Honestly, if I could perform hair transplant surgery, I would do it making a comfortable living of 40K a year just so people could enjoy their lives without having a chunk of their head cut out and being able to enjoy a full head of hair. Its not fair some people are born and for the rest of their lives enjoying a full head of hair where as other people bald, society demands appearance and Dr's quite literally take advantage of peoples insecurities. No reason in this world a Dr has to make that much money off of other peoples insecurities. Any Dr morally could take the time to perform a surgery FUE, making sure the grafts were properly harvested and placed correctly to insure good growth at a reasonable rate. Money greed is a horrible thing and honestly a shame.

Well you can claim that it’s barbaric however, I’ve had 4 strip procedures and  went from being completely bald on top to wielding a pretty full looking head of hair that I can style and grow anyway I want. 

I won’t deny that the strip removal looks a bit gruesome to those who are new to the procedure however, to date, it is The most efficient way of maximizing the amount of donor hair in a single procedure/day  and optimizing growth.   There’s a link to my patient website in my signature below. Feel free to take a look at what my hair looks like before and after all 4 procedures. 

However, my before pictures don’t do it justice because any hair that you see on top remaining in those photos would be completely gone had I never had any hair transplant surgery. 

FUE, while it looks less invasive can actually be just as painful if not more so given the number of small punches are being made in the back and sides of the scalp.   

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that if you really isn’t a viable procedure, it certainly is. However, I disagree that strip is barbaric and without it, I wouldn’t be where I am today  

Best wishes,

Bill

"Money greed is a horrible thing and honestly a shame."

Greed can certainly get out of control, IMO.

As to the HT Doctors, it's also supply and demand. A lot of these Doctors are backed up 7, 8 months, or a year or more.  Because of that demand, they can pretty much charge whatever the customer will pay. If there were no lines waiting, I'm sure the price would be less.