FUT is more popular than FUE

What length do you estimate a person who had had a 10,000 MFUE procedure could keep his hair length at without the 550 MFUE scars being visible?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

BaldingBlogger (and all)

The only two posts waiting approval contained trigger words that inadvertently sucked them into the moderation queue. Because it was an error, I have approved these posts.

There is no conflict of interest here. This community recognizes merit in both procedures FUT/FUSS and FUT/FUE and we recommend physicians that excel in both procedures. So I am honestly shocked that BaldingBlogger would even make such a ridiculous statement.

Also, after many discussions with expert physicians in the field about "FUT versus FUE", I still don't like referring to FUT and FUE as two distinct procedures. Simply put, they are not. Strip surgery and FUE are both FUT which stands for follicular unit hair transplantation. Strip and FUE refer to donor harvesting methods only. FUT is the overlying procedure where follicular units (hair groupings as they occur naturally in the scalp) are used to create a natural looking head of hair.

I want to thank Dr. Feller for taking the time to share his expertise and opinion on this topic. Frankly, physicians who share their input (whether you agree or not) should be commended for taking time out of their busy schedules to participate rather than chastised simply because you don't like or agree with his opinion.

I encourage anyone who wants to share an opinion on this topic to please go ahead and do so. But please share your input respectfully whether you agree or disagree. I also suggest backing up any bold claims with facts or substantiated evidence no matter which camp you fall in.

Onwards and Upwards to open and healthy discussion,

Bill

Bogger,

No harm, no foul! You should be able to edit it. If not, let me know and I can clean it up.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you Dr Feller.

I bet all these naysayers don't even realise that Lorenzo, Erdogan...even Dr C in Atlanta are still performing FUT.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I really wish other doctors would make the time to post in this thread. This baby could go from good to great real fast.

What does "popular" mean to you Dr Feller? There is more market awareness? More people choose FUT? It is better based on certain criteria? I would like to understand your original post better. This thread is extremely thought provoking. Thank you for posting.

I wonder if cost to the consumer were taken out of the decision making process, how many people would choose one method over the other.

lolwut?

It is an illusion that they do not.

Anyone who does not believe me can pick up a telephone and call them. Tell them you are a representative of a famous actor who cannot shave his head but has done his research and needs about 2500 FUT.

I think you will all be surprised at the response.

...and in the case of Lorenzo, FUT is offered on his website:p

But all are better known for fue and why not with results like this

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171024-dr-jose-lorenzo-5035-fug.html

I think the next set of ishrs will show fue has overtaken fut in popularity.

Its also worth baring in mind the next set of figures are for members of the ishrs how many clinics are not members?

The above fue case posted by mick is that a 60,70,80% yield would you say Dr feller?

Strip will always remain until a non surgical fix comes along.

Naysayers are backers of each procedure but to say fut is way In front of fue in yield or the appearance is better is simply not accurate when done by top fue drs

Thank you Dr Feller.

I bet all these naysayers don't even realise that Lorenzo, Erdogan...even Dr C in Atlanta are still performing FUT.

It is an illusion that they do not.

Anyone who does not believe me can pick up a telephone and call them. Tell them you are a representative of a famous actor who cannot shave his head but has done his research and needs about 2500 FUT.

I think you will all be surprised at the response.

...and in the case of Lorenzo, FUT is offered on his website:p

Where is it offered on his website?

Naysayers are backers of each procedure but to say fut is way In front of fue in yield or the appearance is better is simply not accurate when done by top fue drs

Care to share with us your medical credentials and hair transplant experience to be able to back up this claim?

...I thought not.

Where is it offered on his website?

Under Techniques>Classic Strip

That's just describing the technique, not offering it. Same for Erdogan presumably.

You have a telephone?...call them on Monday. You will be surprised.

I have eyes in my head and just with the one example I posted compared to any fut case of a similar size the yield must be very high do you not agree matt?

All drs and both techniques have failures its up to each of us to determine which is best for US.

I have the same medical credentials as yourself non.

I also have a similar size procedure as you though mine was fue.

Just as your doc or hasson & Wong ect ect constantly knock out stellar results the same can be said for several fue docs.

Care to share with us your medical credentials and hair transplant experience to be able to back up this claim?

...I thought not.

I have eyes in my head and just with the one example I posted compared to any fut case of a similar size the yield must be very high do you not agree matt?

All drs and both techniques have failures its up to each of us to determine which is best for US.

I have the same medical credentials as yourself non.

I also have a similar size procedure as you though mine was fue.

Just as your doc or hasson & Wong ect ect constantly knock out stellar results the same can be said for several fue docs.

How is your HT with the banned doctor turning out?

Keyser,

I didn't know you underwent FUE with that clinic.

Matt,

That's crazy if a few of these "FUE only" guys offer strip still in certain circumstances, Regardless, I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. I think if you got a few beers in these guys and really pressed them, they would tell you that pound-for-pound you're going to get the biggest "WOW" with strip.This is a similar scenario in which the "75%" number was thrown out by the FUE-only guy I mentioned before. Are there FUE surgeons who churn out good results? Absolutely. Are there some that do it more than others? Absolutely. Do I think these guys use some gimmicks when presenting these cases. AB-SO-LUTELY.

It's also interesting in a scenario like Dr E or Dr L above that in their current model, these guys would have a tough time consistently doing strip cases because they use technician extraction (IE technician FUE). I also think the bias coming from clinics with only the capability to offer FUE is always -- obviously -- going to be very strong.

Altogether, I'm most impressed by clinics who are great at both and offer both when appropriate. This is what I really want to strive for when I'm in practice full-time here pretty soon. Being able to offer those huge "WOW" H&W-esque cases on a Monday, then Tuesday sit down, focus, and do a seamless FUE case -- though I will be pursuing this, for the near future, via our mFUE technique. I think these are the types of clinics that really nail it.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

KO,

Yeah, I don't think he or Dr E do strip. Like I said, I don't think they could because they don't use physicians for extracting donor tissue. However, I still think the "few beer" scenario I referenced above is valid.

Neither Dr E or Dr L offer Strip. I have consulted with both clinics recently and any objective unbiased person would agree if they did their research unless they had some sort of agenda.

Anyone who is suggesting otherwise should really get their facts straight as some of these statements are are coming off as slander given the nature of this thread(s).

We haven't seen any FUE physicians respond to this recent barrage of pro FUT threads as it is assumed they don't need to dignify any response nor do they have the time.

My question to Dr. Feller would be, if FUE is an alternative procedure, under what conditions does he perform that kind of operation?

And I'm an FUT guy because I want the most grafts possible (long term). Maybe another FUT down the line and then FUE after that (if needed). However, hair cloning if and when that ever happens will make all this a moot point :)