Just had a mega session FUE and Im freaking out

Dr. Feller referring to damage in the donor region here.

The strip cut is deep. long and forms a long continuous barrier. Think Great Wall of China.

FUE, on the other hand are shallow and allow some space between each follicles.

Perhaps this explains to me, why nerve damage done by my first strip, in 1988 and several since have led to wierd sensations on my scalp in odd places. I can literally scratch my head on the right side and feel some tingling on the left!

I have done many strips and FUE and I can tell you every FUE recovery has been a breeze. Strip had me guessing and worrying six-eights months after each and every time.

As for SMP. The problem with SMP immediately post HT is smudging. With your strip scar, it is not a problem as much, but on the hairline etc. it could be less than good. Here you want a much more delicate touch. At least that is what SMP practitioners have told me. In fact many say wait 12 months!

Scar5,

Your basic understanding of the physiology and anatomic makeup of the donor area is completely wrong.

You really believe a strip scar from FUT leaves a "trench" that acts like a barrier? A barrier to what? Blood vessels and nerves? You couldn't be more wrong- and I know you don't know it. So I will explain it. What I am about to write is not opinion or supposition. It is undebatable fact and it contradicts every word and every conclusion you so forcefully wrote above.

The nerves and blood vessels are not cables in this area, rather they are a network or plexus of countless little branches. In the donor area this network is fed from not one, not two, not three, but FOUR main blood and nerve supplies. These supplies come from BELOW where an FUT incision would be made AND ABOVE as well Thus, after strip surgery a surge in growth of new blood vessels and nerves occurs from BOTH sides of the wound. There is also penetration across the scar as well.

I KNOW this because I've done nerve blocks one centimeter below an FUT scar and while that area became completely numb the area above that area right up to and including the scar were sensitive. In fact, overly sensitive. This can only be because the superior nerve supply grew down from above the scar to below the scar. In fact, most patients are super sensitive around their scars due to the massive nerve plexus that forms to compensate for the lack of innervation in the scar itself. The same thing happens in the opposite direction.

If this weren't true, then we would never have to anesthetize a patient who has already had an FUT scar because in your uninformed model everything from the scar upward would already and permanently be numb. You know this isn't true because you had multiple FUE procedures after your FUT procedure and I guarantee your doctor used plenty of anesthetic. I also guarantee he used more and more of it for each subsequent procedure to get you numbed up due to the fibrosis created by all the FUE scarring.

While strip does not conform at all to your " Wall of China" analogy, "Craters on the Moon" is completely congruent with what happened to your donor area after your FUEs.

Instead of one localized line traveling transversely across the donor area in a plane less than 5 millimeters, you have a shotgun blast over 40 square inches or more of donor scalp. And in the megasession variety of FUE those holes are no more than 1 mm apart. You think that leaves "spaces" for nerves and blood vessels to travel? Think again. A one millimeter punch hole will leave at least a 2 millimeter scar. This will overlap with the other FUE scars and form a massive fibrotic sheet. Just look at ANY megasession FUE donor area when the head is shaved to a one buzz or lower. You can always see the destruction. Look at the photos posted on this very thread by CPR4 himself. An amateur can see the thinning and difference in texture of the donor area in any of his photos that he was kind enough to post.

The plexus of blood vessels that supplied the interstitial fluid, or tissue juice that surrounded the follicles, is now severely disrupted. You do not have to be a doctor to detect this, just use your eyes and your fingers. The difference is obvious.

What you also see is an inability of the remaining follicles to benefit from the life giving interstitial fluid because it no longer has a place to exist. Like a sponge that is now dried out and hardened, far less moisture remains. And that is a permanent condition, the scalp will not recover from that.

Your multiple FUE holes combined create an ever thickening barrier to the four main supplies of blood vessels and nerves and affects a 40 inch square area. FUT does not suffer from this disadvantage. Even multiple FUE strips taken irresponsibly don't measure up to that level of damage.

As a transplant surgeon well experienced in both FUE and Strip I can guarantee you that the large virgin area of scalp left after an FUT megasession is orders of magnitude better quality than the survivors located between FUE extractions or attempted extractions. When I do a second strip procedure, there is no doubt I will get out healthy grafts no matter how badly the person scars. In FUE, the quality of the donor area can and does change so radically that FUE becomes more difficult to impossible. Ask any FUE doctor about "follicular brittleness" or "follicular collapse" on subsequent procedures. The grafts literally snap in half or the skin just collapse under the pressure of the punch tool causing a transection. And when this happens, the patient switches to strip to obtain the greatest amount of viable grafts. Of course the density is now severely depleted leaving fewer follicles to get the job done.

I agree your one or two line "explanation" is quicker to read and understand than what I just wrote above. But what I wrote is truth, what you wrote is misinformation and embarrassingly incorrect.

I will be happy to discuss this further with you, but in exchange I would ask you now, in front of the world, to stand accountable for what you write by using your real name and address online as I and my colleagues do. Since you have wandered from the realm of opinion sharing to the actual giving of surgical advice and mentorship I think the time has come. Joe Tillman did it, Spencer Stevenson did it, and many others. Why not join their ranks? Take the mask off and let us all get to know you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dr. Felle and I am sorry if I misunderstood; however; I have inclined again that megasession FUE is safe and reliable if it is done by expert hands. See my progress over my donor area, I took the pictures a week ago; this is po 15 days, I think "craters on the moon" have been closed now and hardly visible, but China wall is still here and visible from the moon, but thanks to the SMP (I had 2nd SMP just before to take these picts.) - I hope the scar will be invisible soon as with FUE scar when covered by donor area hairs. I dont suppose now that I had a big shock loss over my donors.

I have seen many sucsessful results by megasession FUE from Turkish Clinics including my clinic in another forums, why not here? And some topics started by some guys who had 4500-5500 grafts in one session of FUE and which I was following were deleted here, why? Sorry but it seems that you and your moderator-partner dont like any competition here.

And please see although I had just nw2-3 and had large FUT session before (see my scar again) from recommended one here, the density was so low and I needed a second pass over my previously transplanted area. So, can we say and generalize the common idiom -"FUT can give better yields than FUE" ??

We hair loss sufferers become aware of some facts, some recent discussions in this forum has proven that fact, although it costs someone dearly, resulting banning from the forum........

I will be off until I complete my trip in Europea, thanks to everybody including Dr. Feller for their support.

5b32e6bbdd00a_3-po15days(1).jpg.f5c64b4ef0dd4eb70969ef125b04d1e6.jpg

5b32e6bbec15b_3-po15days(4).jpg.d0ac826a46fc3fd706e5df2e2694a818.jpg

5b32e6bc0d562_3-po15days(3).jpg.55ffd1340cb62d191559b5b926e82857.jpg

5b32e6bc22fab_3-po15days(2).jpg.8232d765d60a419f81f0e0371bea82dc.jpg

5b32e6bc6553a_001(1).jpg.f648269765c2fb6911a1c4dc24a66e0b.jpg

5b32e6bd8fc07_001(2).jpg.b986637be2077c988ca69f016e67e285.jpg

CPR,

The change in attitude and perspective really surprised me until I saw your comment about your "clinic no longer being mentioned here." Makes a lot more sense now.

I hope you found the advice helpful. Best of luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

CPR,

The change in attitude and perspective really surprised me until I saw your comment about your "clinic no longer being mentioned here." Makes a lot more sense now.

I hope you found the advice helpful. Best of luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Dr. Felle and I am sorry if I misunderstood; however; I have inclined again that megasession FUE is safe and reliable if it is done by expert hands. See my progress over my donor area, I took the pictures a week ago; this is po 15 days, I think "craters on the moon" have been closed now and hardly visible, but China wall is still here and visible from the moon, but thanks to the SMP (I had 2nd SMP just before to take these picts.) - I hope the scar will be invisible soon as with FUE scar when covered by donor area hairs. I dont suppose now that I had a big shock loss over my donors.

I have seen many sucsessful results by megasession FUE from Turkish Clinics including my clinic in another forums, why not here? And some topics started by some guys who had 4500-5500 grafts in one session of FUE and which I was following were deleted here, why? Sorry but it seems that you and your moderator-partner dont like any competition here.

And please see although I had just nw2-3 and had large FUT session before (see my scar again) from recommended one here, the density was so low and I needed a second pass over my previously transplanted area. So, can we say and generalize the common idiom -"FUT can give better yields than FUE" ??

We hair loss sufferers become aware of some facts, some recent discussions in this forum has proven that fact, although it costs someone dearly, resulting banning from the forum........

I will be off until I complete my trip in Europea, thanks to everybody including Dr. Feller for their support.

Hey buddy, who exactly was your surgeon? Posting pics of your progression really serves little purpose to anyone else reading this thread without this info.

Happy growing!