Just had a mega session FUE and Im freaking out

Dear Dr Feller thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed explanation. I am in Istanbul and everything is closed. I recall the nurse saying that my grafts were the closest to the outer dermis she had ever seen yet she continued to punch deep holes unnecessarily. I am truley concerned about my health and my continously sheeding donor area follicles. I will keep you updated on my progress and post photos real soon. Though its hard to make out the patchy hair loss and the scalling from photos. I am hesitant to name and shame this doctor as he is my only hope right now. I am truely at a loss as to what to do. I have made plans and booked flights to travel throughout Europe. Thinking of catching the next flight back to Sydney. I was so happy on the day of my op. Now i am miserable. Thank you once again for your valuable input it is much appreciated. I hope no one goes through what I am going through.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit class less of dr feller to take this opportunity to yet again knock fue and big up strip? If this poor guys predicament was just down to the number of extractions and lack of blood supply we would see this type of case a lot more. We regularly see fue mega sessions of 4 or 5 thousand with no I'll effects on the donor area. I may be wrong but I think this guy may of also been having fue into his strip scar. I presume the cause of this is down to either poor skill doing extractions or infection or both. Let's put it this way I for one have seen far more complications from strip than I have fue. Scar revisions,SMP into scars and maybe in this chaps case fue into the strip scar. We've seen literally dozens of fue sessions with more than 3500 so numbers I doubt is the issue. Maybe over harvesting of a area may have caused this but that again would be down to the extractors skill level. This guy is obviously in great distress and for you to take this inappropriate time to knock fue dr feller with your shot gun blast to the back of the head line.

Tottaly the wrong place to be pulling this kind of stuff.

Really hope this guy is in the best of health in the shortest possible time and gives us a explanation.

I dont know what went wrong. No i didnt have fue into my strip nor did I have it revised. I think my skin is thinner than most people. The nurse mentioned my follicles were close to the skin unlike she has ever seen before. Yet continued with micro motor digging deep holes. I think i was not a good candidate and the operation should have been stopped and manual extraction recommended. Either way its either a lack of understand or greed on the practitioners part that has left me in this situation. Strip is still the best option of older patients who like to wear their hair long with high elasticity and I now belive for patients with previous strips as in my case.

No one knows what happened to this poor guy everyone is just speculating. Let's wait an see what his own physician comes up with. There are a lot of unanswered questions from the patient. I watched the video and got some good advise about the nerve physiology in the back and side. I suffer from nerve pain in my head and it shed some light. I hope this guy has a happy outcome and his doctor can help him. I hope he let's us know the outcome

CPR,

Sorry to hear about this. A few other posters have mentioned discussing this with your doctor. However, it sounds like a "nurse" performed the actual extractions? Did you undergo the procedure at a technician FUE clinic?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I am truley concerned about my health and my continously sheeding donor area follicles. I will keep you updated on my progress and post photos real soon. Though its hard to make out the patchy hair loss and the scalling from photos.

Oh, wait so you have 3500 grafts taken out besides that "thousands" of hair follicles fall out of your donor area? Yet it would be hard to see on a picture?

Post detailed pictures so we can see more. No offense but perhaps you are just indeed freaking out. Calm down :).

Edited by Swooping

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Oh, wait so you have 3500 grafts taken out besides that "thousands" of hair follicles fall out of your donor area? Yet it would be hard to see on a picture?

Post detailed pictures so we can see more. No offense but perhaps you are just indeed freaking out. Calm down :).

Hi you are right. After speaking with the surgen who preformed my HT I was assured everything was normal. They were crusts coming out not follicles even though they were clear and some had hairs in them they were definitly crusts. As for the patches it is evident I inherently have thin hair and so my scalp is more visible.I panicked and made an error in judgement. I suffer from anxiety and tend to panic when something I dont expect happens. I also has micropigmentation to the donor site 3 days after my operation which probably led to the shedding of hairs not follicles. If hairtransplantnetwork.com is a responsible organisation they will remove this posting. The post was based on erroneous judgement and the advice provided here is either unfounded or blatent lies. After much research it is impossible to cut off blood supply to the donnor site using mega session FUE. I appologise to the doctor who performed my HT and to those who were mislead by this post. I am looking forward to my great results and now in my sobber mind I support megasession FUE and recommend it to anyone for many reasons.

and the advice provided here is either unfounded or blatent lies. .

Hey buddy, people were only trying to help you and give you advice whilst your own surgeon was MIA and unavailable (I still think its a negative that your surgeon doesn't provide you with an emergency number or cellphone number as most of the top surgeons do). You were the one posting a question on a public forum where there are complete strangers and some clowns looming. Obviously there may be one or two idiots who don't know what they are talking about, and quite frankly, you should know better to take that advice with a grain of salt. However, to call the advice provided here as unfounded and blatant lies is completely unnecessary and disrespectful for some of the posters who were clearly concerned and only trying to help. Even the good Dr. Feller took time out of his weekend to provide you with his thoughts and help alleviate your fears whilst your own surgeon was nowhere to be found. You should have been so lucky to actually have someone like Dr. Feller as your HT surgeon it appears. I'm glad this had a happy ending for you, and I'm very grateful that this outstanding forum exists to help all of us share information. I think you should be more grateful and respectful for the people who tried to help you this weekend instead of slamming them.

All they did was make me panic. Thats not helping. The correct respose which would have been helpful is; there is no way such a thing could happen please dont be concerned there is ample blood supply provided to the follicles or something along those lines. Anyway the doctor did provide me with his number i only assumed being the weekend i couldnt reach him. I them realised it was a 24hr 7 days line

All they did was make me panic. Thats not helping. The correct respose which would have been helpful is; there is no way such a thing could happen please dont be concerned there is ample blood supply provided to the follicles or something along those lines. Anyway the doctor did provide me with his number i only assumed being the weekend i couldnt reach him. I them realised it was a 24hr 7 days line

Seriously? Isn't that what Dr. Feller alluded to.

Alright buddy, I want officially apologize on behalf of everyone on this forum for not stating exactly that. I will make sure to pass on the message to them - YOU ARE DA MAN.

Dear everybody, the next time somebody is having a medical emergency and in full panic mode, regardless of whether you have the expertize on the topic or not, please be sure to respond as follows: "there is no way such a thing could happen please don't be concerned as everything is perfectly fine."- As an example if someone posts "Hi everyone, I think I am having a heart attack, what is wrong with me and should I be concerned?" your response should go as follows: "there is no way such a thing could happen please don't be concerned as everything is perfectly fine".

----- I would like to apologize to the moderators and everyone on this site for my sarcasm displayed above if I may have offended. It just needed to be said.

CPR4Hair ok man great. Don't worry it happens to everyone. Everyone tends to be emotional at times and that serves irrationality. Especially after a hair transplant.

Both shock loss and donor pain are possible. Doesn't have to do with a lack of blood supply.

Good luck and I hope you will get a kick ass result!

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

I agree with Mav on this one. Interesting how in your panic-stricken original post you neglected to mention that somehow you thought it was a good idea to further traumatize your donor with SMP three days after punching out a boatload of hair. Nor that you never even tried to call the number provided to you by your very own HT doctor.

You're the kind of guy who, if you asked me whether to turn right or left, I'd tell to go straight. Cause I knew I couldn't win. This is a free forum with well meaning people and some very good advice, not your personal after-hours emergency clinic. Good grief.

The most important thing is that your in good health and everything is ok with your ht.

I agee not a good idea to have the smp 3 days post op but we all make mistakes.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Good luck with the growth.

Yes I have made some mistakes. I also formally apologize for that.

OK, these are my pictures which were taken yesterday, I think I have some shock loss but SMP also may cause it, my doctor assured me that everything will be OK - I hope so.

5b32e69696ec4_004(3).jpg.7100747f11f8b4cd62ee66443f918a26.jpg

5b32e696b781d_004(2).jpg.20a5752b9fd5ec4698ad1add2b8314f8.jpg

5b32e696ce30b_004(1).jpg.ba0486d3c1cdf9d3bd5da5c64d322b79.jpg

Other photos before and after my operation, my doctor insisted on me to do FUT scar revision but I did not want because I planned a Turkey and Europe trip after the operation. I understand now I hurried to have SMP so early, hopefully it will not affect my progress and overall result.

5b32e696e3eba_001(1).jpg.b8e414c465bf13218d0d27efb97e837b.jpg

5b32e6970537c_001(2).jpg.0780a00b7082f02b3a6e2e67bb4eefbf.jpg

5b32e69714d32_001(3).jpg.37a078cf7a4e559a5fe160877d7e3420.jpg

5b32e697396c5_002(1).JPG.ac80f191f5339999b457b6aad0c707f7.JPG

5b32e69772cb0_002(2).JPG.8bb4c870cbc90511fdf4650c79568cea.JPG

5b32e697a9336_002(3).jpg.c1f3989c807d495d2548aeb9e5e5e7ff.jpg

5b32e697bae04_003(1).jpg.b209a5b710b672bd85edc7530ac2b48e.jpg

5b32e6981f858_003(2).jpg.95ea4f3414959f3e90257b0e49bcbf97.jpg

5b32e69832bbb_003(3).jpg.c386a90790de92721bf650046612cc79.jpg

Yes, feel better now and have just returned from Cappadoccia trip to Istanbul.

Fut operation was done by a recommended doctor here, I will not mention name, but was not Dr. Feller, he just try to help people by creating videos discrediting megasession FUE,

I talked to my doctor about the claims in Feller's video. He said "there is no risk for less or depleted blood supply after both FUT and megasession FUE. However, FUT can cut the nerves and may create temporary or permanent numbness -but not pain- over the north part of the FUT scar, FUE totally spares the nerves as well as the vessels and much more comfortable thereafter. The donor sensitivity which lasts in 3-4 weeks -itching in fact, not a real pain- after FUE is just due to wound healing caused by histamin release into the wound. Nothing is related with the nerves and nerve cut as there is zero risk for blood supply to donors. Complaining about the pain after FUE is just related with the (low) pain threshold and psychology of the patient."

Since I had both FUT and FUE, I can bear witness to my doctor's comments now. And hope Feller also read this comments.

What do you guys think my result and density after FUT?, I marked my transplanted area with FUT, see pic.

005a.jpg.5a18252aa24257d6db02d34920332579.jpg

It sounds like donor zone shock loss to me. You are probably seeing the hair roots and not the actual hair follicles.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree with you Gil, classic donor shock loss. And what causes this?

DEVASCULARIZATION and or ischemia due to the cutting of blood vessels throughout the donor area and saline tumesence.

CPR, I'm glad you feel better, but what your doctor told you is simply untrue. Period. FUE most certainly causes nerve damage and devascularization, particularly during megasessions. Where do you think all that blood comes from when an FUE extraction is performed? Why do you think fluid is injected along with medications that constrict blood vessels? What did you think those towels and gauze were used for? FUE can be very very bloody. As can FUT, but in the case of FUT the trauma is limited to a very small line, in megasession FUE it is EVERYWHERE.

From that little bump on the back of your head to the top the head there aren't really large vessels as such, but rather a network or plexus of vessels and nerve branches. A few incisions in this area aren't even noticed. Even a long cut like that used in FUT is hardly noticed. But THOUSANDS of holes placed right next to each causes tremendous damage in and of itself. And then there is the contraction phase that kicks in after the surgery. That was the basis of the pain that freaked you out. Not histamine release. If it were that easy we would treat patients with antihistamines prior to or just after surgery, but I've never heard of this being done and it most certainly isn't a normally accepted protocol.

So remember, you had PAIN which is from nerve damage, and you had shock loss is which is from vascular damage. So to say there is no vascular damage or nerve damage from FUE is simply wrong on it's face. I can hardly believe a doctor would say this to patient. I am more amazed if this wasn't discussed PRIOR to your procedure and in writing. In the United States you would have a real cause for legal action if you were not informed of this possibility in writing.

But take heart, the chances are very high that the donor area will recover on its own.

By the way, if you wish to criticize what I write, you are welcome to it, but I would ask you not to attack me or make up reasons as to why I give out the information I do. If you want to know what motivates me, just ask.

I know the truth hurts and it ruffles a lot of feathers online, but it is still the truth. And that is not my opinion, it is fact. My very presence on this site is as a qualified and certified expert int he field of hair transplantation-both FUT and FUE. My posts are not supposition, they are reality based on experience. Use the information or not, it's your head in the end. But please don't try to discredit me when all I did was try to help you and educate you as to what was happening when you reached out.

I

I know the truth hurts and it ruffles a lot of feathers online, but it is still the truth. And that is not my opinion, it is fact. My very presence on this site is as a qualified and certified expert int he field of hair transplantation-both FUT and FUE. My posts are not supposition, they are reality based on experience. Use the information or not, it's your head in the end. But please don't try to discredit me when all I did was try to help you and educate you as to what was happening when you reached out.

Well said Dr! I'm also curious as to your thoughts on that same surgeon not taking exception to this guy getting SMP into his scar mere days after the surgery? I'm not close to being a rocket scientist, but common sense is telling me that was a terrible idea?

Thank you, Mav.

By and large I don't see a problem with SMP into the scar just after a procedure except for a minor increased chance for infection. And even if an infection set in, the scalp would likely recover on it's own or after a course of antibiotics. Looks like that SMP worked rather well in his case. Thank you for joining in, I really appreciate your input.

Even a long cut like that used in FUT is hardly noticed.

THOUSANDS of holes placed right next to each causes tremendous damage

Dr. Feller referring to damage in the donor region here.

The strip cut is deep. long and forms a long continuous barrier. Think Great Wall of China.

FUE, on the other hand are shallow and allow some space between each follicles.

Perhaps this explains to me, why nerve damage done by my first strip, in 1988 and several since have led to wierd sensations on my scalp in odd places. I can literally scratch my head on the right side and feel some tingling on the left!

I have done many strips and FUE and I can tell you every FUE recovery has been a breeze. Strip had me guessing and worrying six-eights months after each and every time.

As for SMP. The problem with SMP immediately post HT is smudging. With your strip scar, it is not a problem as much, but on the hairline etc. it could be less than good. Here you want a much more delicate touch. At least that is what SMP practitioners have told me. In fact many say wait 12 months!