Strip vs FUE vs mFUE - Dr. Alan Feller Great Neck, NY

tough crowd out there. I thought this would be enjoyable but you keep giving me negative feedback . I don't see anyone else getting constantly attacked fortunately some people appreciate my advise . I have nothing to prove to you. Why aren't you attacking anyone else who promotes certain procedures or certain doctors . I don't feel the advise I'm giving is without knowledge . I don't know as much as most as I suppose you do so if I'm wrong about something I have no problem with someone shedding new light on what I was told and believe to be true I am open to any good advise.

tough crowd out there. I thought this would be enjoyable but you keep giving me negative feedback . I don't see anyone else getting constantly attacked fortunately some people appreciate my advise . I have nothing to prove to you. Why aren't you attacking anyone else who promotes certain procedures or certain doctors . I don't feel the advise I'm giving is without knowledge . I don't know as much as most as I suppose you do so if I'm wrong about something I have no problem with someone shedding new light on what I was told and believe to be true I am open to any good advise.

Keep your chin up bud, don't let the haters get to you

tough crowd out there. I thought this would be enjoyable but you keep giving me negative feedback .

Man..some us are not gonna blow smoke up your ass. THis is real. These guys are gonna cut you a line right across the back of your head, ear-to-ear.

You say , "'m not the buzz kinda guy" and I wouldn't know, but I'll say this. I was pretty young when I said I'd never buzz. Maybe you are older and know yourself more, but I swore I'd never buzz. I loathed the buzz cut on white guys (I'm white, so that might be another thing I dunno) I hated the shaved macho, the sports guy, the army, security guard, gym instructor buzz crap - hated it all. I wanted the messy muso thing, in fact I had that thing going on. But ten years later, all I wanted to do was buzz.

The buzz cut is completely unfashionable now and long hair, slicked back is all what is going on but still, I say, there are merits to the buzz when you have had a gut full of hairloss. Have you checked out the videos for Corey Wayne? Look at his hairloss one. I don't think he looks good, but I think he feels good. Perhaps he wouldn't sell much real estate with a buzz, I dunno.

It is a long road. After these guys have cut your head open they are moving on. Don't for one second think these guys wouldn't be doing full on FUE if they didn't have the law on their side. That means, if they could legally pay technicians to extract, they'd be doing it! And we wouldn't have this mFUE spin. - which according to them is supposed to give strip yield with FUE scarring yet strangely you get strip anyway cause that is the first option anyway (according to their spin):confused:

You have to take a wider look. You may be grateful you didn't get a strip scar and pay these guys - reward these guys - for their gambit, one day in the future.

Most of all I want to keep a nice style to my hair . Will I want a buzz cut when I'm in my 60's I can't answer that . I don't have a face for the buzz or bald look that's why I want my hair back. Some guys look great with a buzz some even look good bald I'm not one of them. I want to thank you for the advise though it's always good to hear other people's experience and consider what they say .

Strip IS more consistent in terms of growth yield than FUE is. Period.

You're a strip doctor Dr. Feller. Not a FUE doctor. I'm my opinion that means you're not qualified to make his statement. Maybe YOUR FUE is not as consistent as strip. But I’m sure that Feriduni, Rahal, Lorenzo would all disagree.

Please stop this silly mFUE nonsense. It’s misleading to patients. It’s strip. Period.

Then why do Feriduni and Rahal do strip? Feriduni's and Rahal's lager and more ambitious cases have been typically handled with FUT. Are they being unethical in doing FUT? Same with Bisanga, if a patient needs a lot of graft or has a less than very dense donor, he prefers FUT. Why is that? If you go on Feriduni's page, the discrepancy in case size is obvious.

FUT and FUE have their pros and cons each. FUE will liberate you from the linear scar, reduce nerve damage, reduce downtime etc etc. But when it comes to yield, that is a pro for FUT. There is just no way around this fact. FUE risks damage to the follicle during extraction when they can be transected and risks damage to the follicle when handled due to the lack of supportive tissue. No matter who is doing it, whether it is a "top FUE" doctor or your local hack, those are still the constraints.

Generally speaking, grafts extracted vie FUE are much more sensitive, as the extraction technique leaves much less protective tissue around the hair follicles. This ultimately leads to a slightly lower survival rate. Damage to healthy hair follicles influencing their survival rate, as well as a worse rooting rate, are possibilities in both techniques when the work is not performed in an optimal manner. This is the reason why the choice of the right hair surgeon is a decisive criterion for the success of any hair transplant.

http://hairtransplantation.feriduni.com/en/hair-transplant/a-comparison-of-fue-and-fut.html

Then why do Feriduni and Rahal do strip? Feriduni's and Rahal's lager and more ambitious cases have been typically handled with FUT. Are they being unethical in doing FUT? Same with Bisanga, if a patient needs a lot of graft or has a less than very dense donor, he prefers FUT. Why is that? If you go on Feriduni's page, the discrepancy in case size is obvious.

FUT and FUE have their pros and cons each. FUE will liberate you from the linear scar, reduce nerve damage, reduce downtime etc etc. But when it comes to yield, that is a pro for FUT. There is just no way around this fact. FUE risks damage to the follicle during extraction when they can be transected and risks damage to the follicle when handled due to the lack of supportive tissue. No matter who is doing it, whether it is a "top FUE" doctor or your local hack, those are still the constraints.

http://hairtransplantation.feriduni.com/en/hair-transplant/a-comparison-of-fue-and-fut.html

KO, you know I respect you alot and I do understand what you are saying. I do believe that if we compared the elite strip surgeons againsnt the elite FUE surgeons, the difference in yield would be very minimal. Feriduni's clinic themselves told me there was about a 5% difference in yield between their strip and FUE. I have no issue with this whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is when surgeons who predominantly practice and promote strip come here and start stating complete fabrications and claim they are the general consensus. Things like strip being "40% fuller" compared to the equivalent FUE which is obviously not the case when Dr Lorenzo has over 200 FUE-exclusive cases documented IN VIDEO with comb-throughs of the scalp, close ups etc. Those elite FUE surgeons have found a way around the preliminary flaws in FUE. Does that guarantee a 95% yield? Absolutely not. But strip does not come with a guarantee either.

How is it that those FUE clinics manage to put out successful results constantly when according to Feller and Lindsey the method is intrinsically flawed? Do those FUE doctors have a magic spell or wizardry? The answer simply is that Lorenzo, Bisanga, Feriduni, Erdogan etc are just more skilled at FUE. Period. The fear mongering has been going on for years by the usual suspects and is becoming more redundant as FUE gains more prevalence. Is FUE perfect? No chance. But it is just as valid as a method of hair transplantation as strip.

Nice copy and paste argument for FUSS, but if you finally decide to proceed with a procedure, you will then be able to draw your own conclusions based on actual experience rather than recitation of what the strippers would have you believe is fact.

KO, you know I respect you alot and I do understand what you are saying. I do believe that if we compared the elite strip surgeons againsnt the elite FUE surgeons, the difference in yield would be very minimal. Feriduni's clinic themselves told me there was about a 5% difference in yield between their strip and FUE. I have no issue with this whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is when surgeons who predominantly practice and promote strip come here and start stating complete fabrications and claim they are the general consensus. Things like strip being "40% fuller" compared to the equivalent FUE which is obviously not the case when Dr Lorenzo has over 200 FUE-exclusive cases documented IN VIDEO with comb-throughs of the scalp, close ups etc. Those elite FUE surgeons have found a way around the preliminary flaws in FUE. Does that guarantee a 95% yield? Absolutely not. But strip does not come with a guarantee either.

How is it that those FUE clinics manage to put out successful results constantly when according to Feller and Lindsey the method is intrinsically flawed? Do those FUE doctors have a magic spell or wizardry? The answer simply is that Lorenzo, Bisanga, Feriduni, Erdogan etc are just more skilled at FUE. Period. The fear mongering has been going on for years by the usual suspects and is becoming more redundant as FUE gains more prevalence. Is FUE perfect? No chance. But it is just as valid as a method of hair transplantation as strip.

Good post, the 40% quote from Dr Lindsey seems optimistic to me, id be very surprised if the docs in Belgium who do both strip and FUE have that much of a disparity between the final appearance of fullness in their subjects.

I would love to hear what Dr Feller, Bloxham, and Lindsey think of Dr Lorenzo's work, do his results look 40% or even 20% inferior in appearance of fullness than their strip cases?

Better yet, I would love to hear what Lorenzo thinks of Dr. Feller's, Bloxam's and Lindsey's work!

Lorenzo is too busy doing great work than to come on an internet forum to disparage an opposing method of hair transplantation.

You're a strip doctor Dr. Feller. Not a FUE doctor. I'm my opinion that means you're not qualified to make his statement. Maybe YOUR FUE is not as consistent as strip. But I’m sure that Feriduni, Rahal, Lorenzo would all disagree.

Please stop this silly mFUE nonsense. It’s misleading to patients. It’s strip. Period.

Spot on. I would have no issue believing that Feller / Lindsays FUE yields are probably around 40% and this is what they are basing their findings on.

But i have a major problem for them to come out with this sweeping statement and protray it as fact that all FUE clinic's are hitting this range despite the obvious results to the contrary.

Speaking to a lot of people in the industry i've been told FUT bookings are in the sh1tter so this all just smacks of desperation IMO.

Whilst there's a lot of great strip surgeons out there, you can probably count on 2 hands, if that many, the great FUE surgeons that can continually match FUSS/STRIP.

I was fortunate to get a great strip surgery of Dr feller and likewise great FUE surgery from Lorenzo.

However I wouldn't go to Lorenzo for strip and Dr feller for large FUE. But that doesn't mean there both not great in there own rights.

The great FUE surgeons show themselves in the mega sessions and there's just not that many of them around so people who say the percentages are low arnt wrong, however if we bring up Dr Lorenzo stats just to name one, I thing he would put most docs views on survival rate to shame.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I think one of the points that has been made here is that the successful FUE docs are not trashing FUSS docs the way Dr. Feller has come out against all FUE and indirectly the docs who perform it.

Lorenzo is too busy doing great work than to come on an internet forum to disparage an opposing method of hair transplantation.

If only he had a partner that was in a privillaged postion like say maybe a moderator on a hair loss forum he might?

No one would ever suspect there might be a conflict of interest and he,d probably get away with it to if it were'nt for those pesky kids.

Whilst there's a lot of great strip surgeons out there, you can probably count on 2 hands, if that many, the great FUE surgeons that can continually match FUSS/STRIP.

I was fortunate to get a great strip surgery of Dr feller and likewise great FUE surgery from Lorenzo.

However I wouldn't go to Lorenzo for strip and Dr feller for large FUE. But that doesn't mean there both not great in there own rights.

The great FUE surgeons show themselves in the mega sessions and there's just not that many of them around so people who say the percentages are low arnt wrong, however if we bring up Dr Lorenzo stats just to name one, I thing he would put most docs views on survival rate to shame.

Good call, but Dr Lindsey is saying if you take 100 FUE's done by the top 10 guys in the world and compare them to 100 Strip cases done by the top 10 guys in the world...same size cases, same hair quality, everything that you could make the same you do....that the strip results will be **at least** 40% fuller (once grown out) than the same FUE cases.

So, would you say those handful of great FUE docs you referenced are producing results at least 40% inferior to the best strip guys in terms of grown out fullness?

Good call, but Dr Lindsey is saying if you take 100 FUE's done by the top 10 guys in the world and compare them to 100 Strip cases done by the top 10 guys in the world...same size cases, same hair quality, everything that you could make the same you do....that the strip results will be **at least** 40% fuller (once grown out) than the same FUE cases.

So, would you say those handful of great FUE docs you referenced are producing results at least 40% inferior to the best strip guys in terms of grown out fullness?

I wasn't agreeing with Dr Lindsey no. I may come across as sitting on fence sometimes, but more to do with having good outcomes with both procedures.

I wouldn't agree with his comments, no.

The top FUE surgeons are proven time and time again they can match strip results .

A few points:

To be clear, I'm not endorsing Feller's POV, nor do I have any opinion on it, but more generally regarding FUT vs FUE. I do agree with Feller that FUT results look fuller (no opinion on the 40% number).

Lorenzo has a lot of great results out there showing fullness, he also benefits a lot from taking advantage of favorable characteristics of his southern European patients (think of some of the "wow" results that Hasson & Wong have produced from their Spanish and Italian patients). Remember, a doubling in hair shaft diameter means quadrupling hair volume, in other words it is a huge variable. Somebody like Gabel doesn't have that luxury.

Regarding aesthetics, I agree that Lorenzo's work is great, and the best at FUE, to me the most visually striking cases showing density, naturalness etc etc. seem to come from FUT. Obviously, this is a subjective measure, but I stand by my argument that the top 10% of FUT > top 10% of FUE.

Regarding the notion in the forums that "top FUE gets 90% yield", I am afraid there is no evidence to back up this view. It does not surprise me that Feriduni would say "Only 5% difference". Just like Feller, a FUT surgeon, will say "FUT yields 40% more", Feriduni, somebody who excels in both techniques will say that they are nearly equal in his hands. Both doctors are running businesses, there should be data to make a case. Even Feriduni might say the difference is small, but he does not suggest that FUT has a lower yield.

I'm not saying FUE cannot produce great results, sure it does. But I'm speaking more specifically to pros vs cons of each procedure. Regarding fear-mongering, haven't posters on the other side of the debate been responsible for it as well? :) (I don't mean you btw).

bottom line, after knowing all the pros and cons of both operative methods - it is and always should be a PATIENT'S DECISION - one of the biggest pros of FUE not mentioned in Feller's video, besides the absence of a large linear scar is certainly the quicker healing time .. I don't think anyone could argue with that - I chose Dr. Rahal just because he gave me the option of FUT or FUE .. it was my choice and I believe it always should be a patient decision once you're completely informed

A few points:

To be clear, I'm not endorsing Feller's POV, nor do I have any opinion on it, but more generally regarding FUT vs FUE. I do agree with Feller that FUT results look fuller (no opinion on the 40% number).

Lorenzo has a lot of great results out there showing fullness, he also benefits a lot from taking advantage of favorable characteristics of his southern European patients (think of some of the "wow" results that Hasson & Wong have produced from their Spanish and Italian patients). Remember, a doubling in hair shaft diameter means quadrupling hair volume, in other words it is a huge variable. Somebody like Gabel doesn't have that luxury.

Regarding aesthetics, I agree that Lorenzo's work is great, and the best at FUE, to me the most visually striking cases showing density, naturalness etc etc. seem to come from FUT. Obviously, this is a subjective measure, but I stand by my argument that the top 10% of FUT > top 10% of FUE.

Regarding the notion in the forums that "top FUE gets 90% yield", I am afraid there is no evidence to back up this view. It does not surprise me that Feriduni would say "Only 5% difference". Just like Feller, a FUT surgeon, will say "FUT yields 40% more", Feriduni, somebody who excels in both techniques will say that they are nearly equal in his hands. Both doctors are running businesses, there should be data to make a case. Even Feriduni might say the difference is small, but he does not suggest that FUT has a lower yield.

I'm not saying FUE cannot produce great results, sure it does. But I'm speaking more specifically to pros vs cons of each procedure. Regarding fear-mongering, haven't posters on the other side of the debate been responsible for it as well? :) (I don't mean you btw).

Definitely. But that was more in the past(I was referring to surgeons/reps) rather than forum members. Guys like Armani, Dr. C(in Atlanta), Dr. W(Australia) were all integral in the method war and were equally responsible for hiding facts. The inventor of FUE attempted to sell the method to whichever surgeon paid a huge sum of money for it, instead of freely sharing it for the good of the patients. Rather than showing off good FUE work, some of those aforementioned surgeons instead decided to take pot shots at strip and the surgeons who performed strip all whilst sugar coating FUE They would claim it was very minimal scarring but would never show shaved down donors. One would claim 97% yield with their "special" FUE that they gave a new name to but in essence the yields were poor because the surgeon would have an inexperienced tech perform the vast majority of the punching/extractions. One would swear up and down that his manual FUE punch is the best tool and then years later, drops it in favor for a patented, overly complex and highly expensive motorized sharp punch device that he also offers to sell.

I wish Docs and clinics would just post good work instead of coming off like informercial salesman. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that is my opinion and that is how I feel. Luckily the majority like Dr Hasson, Lorenzo, Wong, Konior are focused on doing great work.

I wish Docs and clinics would just post good work instead of coming off like informercial salesman. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that is my opinion and that is how I feel. Luckily the majority like Dr Hasson, Lorenzo, Wong, Konior are focused on doing great work.

Totally agree. Bottom line, irrespective about method, just comes down to great work.

Hey mickey,

The temple points I had with Dr Lorenzo turned out great. I'm glad I made the best of the time he spent in UK

This false FUE vs Strip online debate can go on forever on the internet because this is not reality. The operating room is.

Until an FUE doctor can stand up and declare that he has overcome the three detrimental forces of FUE (Compression, Torsion, and Traction), not to mention the increase in donor damage there will be no FUE revolution.

Despite false claims to the contrary, I am an FUE surgeon and advocate. Been doing them since it's introduction to North America about 14 years ago. Published in the text books, performed the first public FUE at a surgical meeting, posted the first video on how to do it, performed the first FUE into scar in the world (that was successful), did the first megasession FUE in the world. All documented and in the record. My credentials as an FUE surgeon are solid.

It is because of my understanding of the REALITY of FUE surgery that I don't hype it and try to prevent it from being hyped. It is also why I believe Strip to continue to be king of hair transplants.

When an FUE only doctor can come on here or declare at a meeting that they have overcome the three main detrimental forces of FUE then it will have it's revolution and there will be no question about it. That day is not here and is not happening, which is why I find the current FUE hype so concerning. NOTHING has changed in the past 14 years yet there are more and more lay people advocating for it. I've read the posts and can see it is based on wishful thinking...nothing more.

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

FUEvsStrip.jpg.2da5d0e62f7f4cffcd35158e4f645385.jpg

So Dr Lorenzo has not overcome the 3 deterimental forces inherent in FUE then? The proof is in the results. Guys like Lorenzo, Erdogan, Maras, Feriduni, De Reys, Bisanga, Mwamba have all either gone exclusively to FUE, or practice FUE the majority of the time.

It's not about an FUE revolution. It's about FUE being a very viable method for hair transplantation. Very few people seriously believe FUE will the end all and be all solution. Some guys have great laxity but low density and strip suits those guys. Some guys with more advanced balding will need both FUE and strip. Others are happy with just one big strip session instead of 2 FUE sessions spread out. But you are making it sound like it is impossible to get consistently good FUE yields. My answer, Dr Lorenzo.