800-1000 Beard hair with Dr Bisanga 3rd June

Pip

Hi Guys,

I've been a member here for a few years now.

I've had two strip surgeries during the last 20 years or so with varying degrees of success in the UK.

I researched long and hard on many forums and I narrowed down my next operation with Dr Bisanga.

I had my first consultation with Dr Bisanga about a year ago . I was very impressed by his conservative and non-selling approach and telling me what I really didn't want to hear !

Basically, when Dr Bisanga had a good look at my hair density under a microscope he informed me that I had a lot of follicles going into miniaturisation; in other words dying off. The most I could expect from my scalp hair was 600 grafts.

I REALLY didn't want to hear this but guys, but when a top Doctor says things like that you really have to listen !

He suggested beard hair as an alternative. At that time I was very very wary of such a surgery.

The main concern, of course, was scarring to the face; and that worry is still there.

I went back home and real life took over but I did begin researching beard hair as donor hair.

I visited Stephen, the BHR rep for the UK, twice to see his own transplant. Wow !

Firstly, what an amazing job. What a great result for Stephen.

I was very keen to see how his face looked after 1400 beard grafts . When I arrived he had a slight stubble but was very happy to shave for me.

I honestly could not see a thing. Nothing , even very close up to indicate anything; very very impressive.

Stephen wears a very short crew cut and it looked amazing, particularly the hair placement on the crown. The 'swirl' pattern was a work of art; totally natural and nothing to indicate a transplant.

So, I decided Dr Bisanga was my 'man' and that I would try a beard hair transplant. I think my beard is good for such a procedure. If it goes well then I will do much more, but one step at a time.

Basically it will be a simple 'fill in' operation to the top of my head. Later I will fill in the strip scars which, in all fairness, are pretty good and then fill in my temporal humps too.

Although Dr Bisanga really doesn't believe in body hair other than beard and a little chest hair , I will ask for a test from my leg hair to be done too.

I will post regular updates, particularly regarding the face scarring concern for those of you who may be considering such a procedure but are , naturally, worried.

Secondly, I wish to say how much Stephen impressed me. If there was such a vocation as an 'anti-salesman' then Stephen would be it !

He spent more time trying to dissuade me and telling me to take my time than trying to sell me anything. He was clearly very concerned to do what was best for me and not hyping things up or telling me what I wanted to hear; quite the opposite in fact.

And he is a really nice guy too ! Always returns calls asap and always willing to talk and listen about anything that concerned me . A real credit to BHR.

Wish me luck guys; its very scary !

PS any advice on healing etc , most welcome .

IMG_2494.jpg.e7a2305fbb0e3b636920fa256bd69491.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg.61bf22b07bb7d87818d58d6bfb8b4d37.jpg

top.jpg.2d529490f0c40e202ebba170f5894404.jpg

Edited by Pip

hi Pip

How many grafts does the doc think you have available? Do you intend hitting the crown area?

In terms of healing, you will be given detailed instructions and provided with different products for the aftercare , I also think keeping yourself well hydrated after the op will help so drink plenty of water

Good luck with your procedure

Hi Yonex,

Many thanks for your kind words :-)

I haven't asked how many grafts I can expect to have from my beard area but I will ask the question at my pre-op consultation and come back to you.

But, from my own research and talking with EJ who posts here and has had over 4000 beard grafts I believe, I'm hoping for a similar amount.

Whilst I would love to do the crown area , I'm a realist . I think the best I can hope for is to reduce the bald area to something looking like more the size of a digestive biscuit rather than a dinner plate lol

But I'm not sure my, very silver, beard hair will blend in very well with my mostly black hair at the back and sides though.....

Edited by Pip

LOL mate, great analogy that :)

Yes I was wondering about the crown as its a difficult area to treat, its good that you are realistic though, will be interesting to follow your case

Thank you PIP for your kind words.

You forgot to say "good looking" also, but I put that down to writer's cramp! No seriously, it was my pleasure to meet you and your manner of doing things, calm, smiling and was also for me a very good sign to me of how you handled loss. I am very happy that I wasn't sales orientated in my approach and I think all of us put our personalities into our work and this is my disposition in how I do business and always will be. What counts is knowledge and customer service and fundamentally belief in the product that we offer and as said my own result spoke for me.

All the best and I will be in touch and anything needed give me a bell.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Hey Stephen ,

Apologies for my gross oversight !

You are indeed extremely handsome and were I a lady .......... lol

Thanks David , your good vibes are very welcome and appreciated :-)

Thank you PIP for your kind words.

You forgot to say "good looking" also, but I put that down to writer's cramp! No seriously, it was my pleasure to meet you and your manner of doing things, calm, smiling and was also for me a very good sign to me of how you handled loss. I am very happy that I wasn't sales orientated in my approach and I think all of us put our personalities into our work and this is my disposition in how I do business and always will be. What counts is knowledge and customer service and fundamentally belief in the product that we offer and as said my own result spoke for me.

All the best and I will be in touch and anything needed give me a bell.

I've also just had a very good experience with Stephen via e-mail. A true gentleman and very responsive. Stephen, I will e-mail you with a decision soon - just been researching researching researching!

I have had 800 beard grafts myself so I do have some experience in this matter. Healing of the donor area is very rapid and I doubt scarring will be an issue. A major concern I would have is how well the beard hair will blend with your scalp hair. Both could have been measured in microns which can be predictive of how well they will match up in vivo. My impression is that Dr. B is somewhat more conservative in graft harvesting than Dr. Lorenzo who did my HTs. My feeling is that beard mixed in randomly at a maximally 1/3 ratio is not readily detectable particularly if the hair is kept relatively short. It is best utilized for the crown but in your case you do not have enough scalp donor to create a natural looking result. Mid-scalp if mixed with enough native and scalp grafts may end up looking satisfactory but I really believe that you will need a minimum of 1500 scalp grafts to make it work. You may want to consider a second opinion from Dr. L which is something as a physician I would never be opposed to.

Hi hairweare,

Many thanks for your input and you raise some good points.

Firstly it's good to be reassured that scarring shouldn't be an issue.

I think you are right in saying Dr Bisanga is conservative with beard graft harvesting; he doesn't go over 1000 in one sitting.

I actually find this reassuring and don't really have an issue in doing more smaller procedures as opposed to one or two large ones.

Your point about blending is very valid. I think I've kinda overlooked this in my worry over scarring. Thank you for bringing it up.

My natural scalp hair is fairly thick in diameter and because my beard is white I'm hoping it will blend in ok.

In fairness my situation is a little unique as when I went to see Dr Bisanga initially last year, I had shaved so he didn't have the opportunity to assess my beard properly, although being of Mediterranean origins it was clearly evident that I had a good beard supply of hair.

I think you are right in saying about 1500 would be needed to the mid scalp as a minimum, but this would mainly depend how well it blends in so I guess I need to be patient until the first beard grafts start to grow.

But because I have quite pronounced 'cobble stoning' effect from a previous procedure I cannot wear my hair short.....

I am going over to Brussels a few days early so that I can have a full consultation a day before the surgery . Dr L is the only other Doctor I would consider btw :-)

Edited by Pip

All the best with this pip.

Glad you had such a good experience with Stephen. He's definitely one of the good guys.

Look forward to following your progress.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 4 years later...

Hey guys,

After an aborted surgery a few years ago, I'm back on the trail!

Seeing Dr Bisanga today in London for a recap.

Will let you know how it goes.

Any guys had beard work done recently? Any comments/advice much appreciated ! 

PS I will most likely restart this thread soon

Edited by Pip

• 1 month later...

Hi Pip,

I had 1888 beard grafts to the crown and so far so good.

Any news? Did have your BHT with Bisanga? 

• Moderators

If you keep the donor area in an area under your chin then you won't have to worry much about any scars because even if there are some dot scars they will not be seen by anyone unless they really look for them close up. If you don't scar then you can do a second session and spread out the donor area a little wider. Doing it this way will make you much less worried about any possible scarring.

I've had more than 2300 grafts taken from my beard and more than 2200 from my chest.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 7 months later...