FUT or FUE - that is the question!

Hello everyone!

So I have decided to undergo surgery with Dr. Robert Dorin in NY given the excellent results I saw on his website and the encouraging reviews about him and his fellow associate Dr. True on this forum.

Given my case, I was offered the two traditional routes but for different grafts:

1. The FUT route for 2,200 to 2,500 grafts

2. The FUE for 1,700

I know both will produce different results and they both have different fees so I really do not know what to choose. I have a budget and want to make the most out of it.

Another confusing point is that this guy http://www.truedorin.com/photogallery/case-studies-male-5567/1205-fut-by-dr-true-19937 (who's featured as a case study on their website) had a fewer number of grafts and to me his pre-operation state is somehow similar to mine! I let you decide, maybe I'm wrong :)

My priority is to lower the hairline - density is secondary. In addition, i like to keep my hair short on the sides and in the back so, although the FUT route is really tempting given the high number of grafts, I really don't want to create a new different problem with the scar in the back of my head.

Here are my pictures. What is the number of grafts you think I should choose?

Many thanks! :))

front.jpg.e389128d54af1c4736cb9ddf3f4f567f.jpg

left.jpg.9842a66d96a070d596a63ffe5b7e84f8.jpg

right.jpg.3e1c4ea3d5985b46f7789adedcd268e4.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg.acd64221f1d421500588344aac63f702.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg.3a8ace2cd843498a82dd07dcf6e17157.jpg

Decisions, Decisions!

Three questions most of us would need to know before commenting.

How old are you?

Are you taking Propecia and or using Minoxidil?

I am not sure I would be looking to lower the hairline in the centre, of course bringing the temple recession forward. What are your expectations here?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I am not sure I would be looking to lower the hairline in the centre, of course bringing the temple recession forward. What are your expectations here?

I agree with Garage on this ~ look at the recent post about lowering one's hairline. Use your grafts wisely, work those temples and add some density, don't lower. Plan ahead and plan your head...

Oh, that's funny.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Haha! It is funny.

Thanks voxman & Garageland!

I'm 26. I took Propecia in the past for 6 months (3+3) a year apart. I currently started using minoxidil.

My expectation is to look as similar as possible to when I was 22! I was using toppik at that time.

old.jpg.02f05bbbc2d9d6bde964b710f71fdae2.jpg

old2.jpg.59cc9ddcabebc51d6645175bbeff166d.jpg

old3.jpg.393bce897b358872beefeabf41dac204.jpg

A better way to approach hair loss is to recognize that it will likely be a progressive process for the rest of your life. Trust me you will still care about your looks at age 40, 50, and 60 etc. It is more realistic to envision yourself with a "mature" hairline of a man in his 30's and try to devise a plan that will preserve that look for as long as possible using both surgery and meds. At your stage, you may find a doctor willing to lower you hairline back to where you were a teenager, but you may up ending looking like a freak when you hit your 40's.

Wise words from weare! Nicely stated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Having had both types of procedures myself, I would only consider FUE if I had to do it all over again. Choosing the right physician to me is the more challenging question. Dr. Vories has posted some very impressive results recently and has adopted the techniques of Dr. Lorenzo. That his fees are also reasonable and competitive with that of NA FUSS makes him a compelling consideration. Of course Europe, Turkey or India offer other options but obviously add more considerations as well.

Some reasons why you have been quoted those graft numbers:

1)You are still quite young. 2,500 is a typical limit for someone in their mid 20s.

2)FUE is going to be limited to around 1,500-1,700 max per day, unless using technicians to assist with extraction.

3)FUE can target multi-haired grafts so 1,700FUE ~= 2,500FUT in terms of the number of hairs.

If in any doubt and you are pretty comfortable with a buzzed look you should go FUE. The hairline though should be pretty conservative and roughly outline the thinning forelock at the front. You don't want to go too low only to find that the hair above your ears starts receding later in life. Then you will look like a guy with a hairpiece.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Weare,

I don't know why I read it as "weave" for a long time too!

Ralph,

Both are valid techniques. Frankly, I'm very glad you were presented both choices. It sounds like the doctor did a good job of providing honest, objective consent and I applaud this!

Both will provide natural results. I think you'd get overall better yield (growth) with strip. I also think the hair characteristics are more refined with strip. HOWEVER, you will have a linear scar. This shouldn't be dismissed. If you plan on buzzing your sides short in the future, this will likely prevent you from sporting certain hairstyles.

You're a young guy. So this is something to honestly consider. Also, just because the yield with FUE is generally lower and more variable doesn't mean it would be cosmetically unacceptable. As you've seen, many of our recommended physicians share excellent FUE cases daily.

Hope this helps!

PS: I didn't see images? This will help.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

10 years ago I would have said FUT.

5 years ago I may have still said FUT.

Now I definitely say FUE as the best docs in the world produce results on a par with FUT but with reduced risk of noticeable scarring at the back. For many of us, the smiley linear scar at the back is a bit of a deal breaker, and I love the fact I can buzz my hair to a #1 and the work is so clean 99.9% of people would never realize I had 3600 grafts removed from the back of my head. In the right hands, FUE gives you more options for later on in life than FUT in terms of how short you have your hair, and the post op recovery is better and less restrictive too.

Some reasons why you have been quoted those graft numbers:

1)You are still quite young. 2,500 is a typical limit for someone in their mid 20s.

2)FUE is going to be limited to around 1,500-1,700 max per day, unless using technicians to assist with extraction.

3)FUE can target multi-haired grafts so 1,700FUE ~= 2,500FUT in terms of the number of hairs.

If in any doubt and you are pretty comfortable with a buzzed look you should go FUE. The hairline though should be pretty conservative and roughly outline the thinning forelock at the front. You don't want to go too low only to find that the hair above your ears starts receding later in life. Then you will look like a guy with a hairpiece.

"1,700FUE ~= 2,500FUT in terms of the number of hairs" - this statement can't be true??? It that really the case???

I would look at fue if I were in your shoes. I would also not lower the hairline and maybe close the temples a bit. You're headed to nw6 territory eventually and as such should plan your hairline accordingly.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If he is (potentially) headed to NW6, would a wiser course of action be to consider an FUT first and then follow up with FUE later in life? If you do only FUE, you have a potentially lower graft yield than with FUT & FUE, correct?

"1,700FUE ~= 2,500FUT in terms of the number of hairs" - this statement can't be true??? It that really the case???

Yes because the doctor can choose the number of 2,3 and 4 hair grafts he/she extracts from the back of your head. Based on posted results on here - where the graft counts are stated - FUE is nearly always higher 'hairs per graft' average.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

My old FUSS scar is now well hidden after recently repaired by FUE, however my scalp has never felt entirely normal since my first operation in 1993 and likely never will. Think about that before having a large slice of flesh removed from the back of your head.

thanks everyone. i think ill most probably choose FUE as many of you advised. Also, the smiley scar at the back is really a deal breaker. I like to have a buzzed look sometimes.

I wonder if the number of grafts can be increased to 2,100 FUE (as I hit my budget limit).

Hi Ralphnyc

You have been given some good advice here, still young and loss potential is there from the photos. Be good to get your donor densities checked, the nape and above ears are probably finer aside from the cut, so worth seeing what can be taken and plan from there in design once densities and the safe zones for FUE harvesting are determined as there may be areas such as nape etc that the doctor will not want to harvest from if lower in density and also checking miniaturisation also.

I would personally go as conservative as possible and really take on board what's been said about your age and loss potential and at near 47 myself I can say you will most certainly care how you look as you age, it really is a myth that one stops caring and I am speaking from my own experience as at 20 I really thought I wouldn't care at 40 how I look but the reality is far different.

If your loss were to continue then you may need a Strip at some stage but for smaller numbers then FUE probably is the best option now and as said means you can shave down also and if you need more surgeries in the future can go for Strip or Strip and or FUE depending on how things develop and goals etc.

All the best in whatever you chose and keep in mind the future as wisely said by others.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• 1 year later...
If he is (potentially) headed to NW6, would a wiser course of action be to consider an FUT first and then follow up with FUE later in life? If you do only FUE, you have a potentially lower graft yield than with FUT & FUE, correct?

I think the idea is that if you think you will eventually lose the hair loss battle, to keep your retreat open (FUE).

But if you think you have a chance at holding your ground, to have as aggressive of an offense as possible (FUT).