Biotin

so, i'm taking biotin 600mg each day, i read in all kind of places that people take very large dosage of biotin, maybe 5000, i read that like vitamin C biotin comes out the body through the urine, but should i take more biotin than i am taking now?

yesterday and today i noticed some pimples comes out around the mouth area. taking the biotin post op for about 13 days.

i'm drinking wheatgrass in the morning, at least for the first month. eat everyday 2 spoons of pumpkin seed, 2 spoons of Flaxseed, 10 almonds, and about 10 walnuts.

i try to drink fresh squeeze vegetables juice everyday too.

i'm taking supplements- MSM 500mg, B12, and vitamin D.

by the way, what is the different when it says like 10mg to 10ug?

thank you

can anyone give a recommended dosage of biotin and MSM?

i don't know how much to take. for now, day 30 post op, i take 600mg biotin and 500mg MSM.

I actually posted on this thread a few years back. Its now been nearly 3.5 years I've been taking Biotin and I can definitely say it makes a difference, the obvious sign being it makes your finger nails stronger and grow faster.

The dosage I take is 5000 micrograms a day. I would say you're OK with the 6000mcg you are currently taking, alot of patients take 10,000mcg a day.

I've never heard anyone complain of any side effects from taking Biotin.

Edited by Shera
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shera,

how much biotin did you take in the months post op?.

the plan is to take 600 mcg each day until the 3 months point post op and then to increase the dosage to give boost, i thought about 5000 mcg, but i don't know if it's too much.

what about MSM?, do i need to take it and if yes, what dosage do you think i can take at the 3 months point?

thanks.

Hi Shera,

how much biotin did you take in the months post op?.

the plan is to take 600 mcg each day until the 3 months point post op and then to increase the dosage to give boost, i thought about 5000 mcg, but i don't know if it's too much.

what about MSM?, do i need to take it and if yes, what dosage do you think i can take at the 3 months point?

thanks.

Hi,

First off, you are probably taking 6000mcg not 600mcg right now. It can get quite confusing when dealing with mcg and mg. Basically 1mg = 1000mcg.......maths lesson over!

I actually took the same dosage that I take now 5000mcg (5mg), which is the same dosage most of the patients I manage take too. Therefore I would say 5000mcg will be fine for you.

As for MSM, if you are taking it for any of its prescribed medical reasons, then it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise I wouldn't really bother. It has not been clinically proven to boost hair.

it says 600 mcg on the bottle, that's why i thought to take more.

i take MSM just because it was recommended post FUE.

600mcg is quite a small dosage, you will be OK to increase this quite dramatically.

As for MSM, I've not heard of anyone taking it post op when they are taking Biotin. I really can't see the gain.

Thank you so much for your help.

i will increase the dosage to 2400 mcg (4 pills a day to finish my current bottle), starting next week and i will see if it's good for me and not cause any outbreak and if it's ok i will increase it in a month to 5000.

i will finish the MSM i got.

is there anything else i should take during those first months post op?

Thank you so much for your help.

i will increase the dosage to 2400 mcg (4 pills a day to finish my current bottle), starting next week and i will see if it's good for me and not cause any outbreak and if it's ok i will increase it in a month to 5000.

i will finish the MSM i got.

is there anything else i should take during those first months post op?

Biotin (as mentioned)

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1mg will theoretically enhance your result by giving the many native hairs that you still had in the proposed implantation area a better chance of recovery.

I don't want to use any kind of pills or even Minoxidil, i guess that's why i was recommended MSM.

if someone takes MSM daily i would like to know what is a good dosage.

thanks.

Edited by wheretogo

• 1 month later...

Guys, what is your opinion about adding Brewer's Yeast with vitamin B supplements to what i already take daily:

what Brewer's Yeast give to the body, it adds vitamins B?, should i add vitamin B to what i take?

Biotin 5000 mcg, MSM 1000 mg, vitamin B12, vitamin D.

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I used to take Biotin as well and I also noticed that my hair and nails did grow quicker. Biotin seemed to work almost better for my nails, eventually it wasn´t enough to stop my thinning hair or baldness. My female friend also tried taking it, but she also noted that her hair all over her body grew in much quicker (legs, armpits) that she stopped taking it as it became more work for her, more shaving and the personal body care. Personally, right now I am seeing better results with Hemp CBD Oil.

• 4 years later...
On 5/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, wheretogo said:

Guys, what is your opinion about adding Brewer's Yeast with vitamin B supplements to what i already take daily:

what Brewer's Yeast give to the body, it adds vitamins B?, should i add vitamin B to what i take?

Biotin 5000 mcg, MSM 1000 mg, vitamin B12, vitamin D.

thanks.

Brewer's Yeast was the first thing I have tried to stop hair loss. Unfortunately it doesn't worked out for me. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking 10,000mcg of biotin daily for 7 years. I don't think it prevents hair loss but improves the quality of the hair you have. But honestly I might go off it. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• 1 month later...

Unless you have a terrible diet then I cant see how any vitamin will help, the vast majority of us will get everything we need from the food we eat, thats what all the studies suggest.  And unless you're deficient in a certain vitamin you could be causing more harm by taking them.  So if you are thinking of taking vitamins get your blood work checked.

• Haha 1