4 surgeries and 8600 grafts! Dr. Pong, Dr. Panine, and Dr. Bhatti.

Wow, where do I start. I have been through a long process and I'm probably not out of the woods yet.

My previous screen name was jimmybald for reference. I lost the email to that account and could not access it so I ended up making this account. I did not keep up with updates after my 2 surgery bc of emotional issues and so on. I think now is a good time to share my story and help anyone else that may ask for my opinion since I've been through so much.

1st Surgery Dr. Pong (Thailand)(2011) 1800 grafts to the receding hairline in the left and right corners. Surgery was successful and I am still happy with the outcome. I have no before photos because I deleted them awhile back in a haste that I now regret. You can check my (jimmybald) screen name for a recollection of my surgery.

2nd Surgery Dr. Panine (Chicago Coalition Member)(May 2012) 3200 grafts to the crown and some hair line work. These pictures can be seen under my jimmmybald screenname. I waited 12 months for the results but was unsatisfied with the outcome in the crown.

Dr. Panine agreed and gratuitously offered to do another surgery. I was hesitant bc I didn't want to put more grafts into the crown bc of a limited donor area. Luckily my donor area in very dense. I requested a FUE because I did not want to go through a FUT again. I went through with bc I didn't have money for another surgery elsewhere and he is a coalition doctor after all.

3rd Surgery Dr. Panine(May 2013)2000 FUE into the crown and some in the middle hairline. I do not have pictures of this before and after. I never asked the clinic for pictures and I'm not even positive they took them or not. It was such a long surgery I was out of it.

I am thankful for Dr. Panine and team to perform such a arduous procedure for free. He did stand by his work and this FUE would have cost 10K. The sad part is that I now have 4500 or so grafts in my crown... After 12 months It was better for sure but still not thick as I though it should be for that amount of grafts. Now I'm realising that the crown is really the black hole that people have always described. 14 months later it is Sept 2014 and I am thinning behind the hairline and still not happy with my crown, although it is better than before but just not what imagined for 4500 grafts. What have I got myself into.

4th Surgery Dr Bhatti(Sept 2014)] 1650 FUE grafts (100 or so of beard grafts into my FUT scar from Dr. Panine) if. Into the crown and the middle part behind the hairline. So I'm almost 7 months post-op from my 4th procedure. I am happy with the results thus far especially at the middle hairline and temple points that he closed in. The middle are is looking denser as is the crown. There are a few area that are still a bit see through but it hasn't been 12 months. I can say that this is the best result I have seen from just 1650 grafts, besides Dr. Pong too in which I saw great growth.

Sometimes I wonder how 5200 grafts from Dr. Panine turned out so unsatisfactory but I never blasted or discredited them on this site. I'm not doing that now either. I'm just sharing my story. They tried thier best to make it right by giving me a free FUE procedure and I'm grateful for that. I did have some improvement, but I highly doubt that 5200 grafts grew in correctly especially bc my donor hair is so thick and the coverage should have been thicker I would assume, It is what it is now but sometimes I'm sad about using that many grafts that I can never get back.

Maybe the crown is the black hole after all and that is what 5200 grafts look like, but after having just 1650 with Dr. Bhatti, it's not so see though anymore so I believe the yield in better. I can only imagine if I have 5200 grafts from just Dr. Bhatti, could probably fill everything in with not nearly that much.

So to the future.... my donor hair is still surprisingly thick and Dr. Bhatti says I have at least 2000 FUE left and I have a thick beard. A well know doctor in Seoul told me he could get 2000 from a strip easily as well. I would go back Dr. Bhatti for sure but just wanted to see my options.

There you have it... roughly 8650 grafts all together... which seems ridiculous given how I started out balding. Especially bc I've seen Dr. Hasson use less grafts than that to fill an NW6. I was never that bald to begin with, look at my past pics.

If I could go back to day one before any surgery. I would have waited until 30 years old at least and went to see Dr. Bhatti straight away. No FUT scar and money saved. Nothing I can do now.

I'm waiting for some pics from Dr. Bhatti that will show my head before my surgery with him. Let me know if you have any questions at all regarding the hair transplant process.

some of my previous threads

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159420-had-surgery-w-dr-pong.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164480-would-you-transplant-crown-head.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/165846-surgery-dr-panine-today.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166832-17-months-post-op-11-weeks-post-op.html

The pictures attached is basically all I have went through a frenzy in which I deleted any picture I had with thinning hair. Luckily some were still on this site so I could recover them to tell my story as best as possible. I contacted Dr. Bhatti to get the pictures of my pre-op with a shave head. I might contact Stuart over at Dr. Panine's office to see if he has any pictures on my file he would like to share.

Can't believe that 8600 grafts later and still have some see through area.Think long and hard before you attack the crown and make sure to choose your surgeon wisely. If my hair stays like this for the next 20 years I would be ecstatic. Unfortunately if I continue to bald, I may not have enough donor left in the future. I will continue taking Proscar and using Nizoral once a week. I hope it works out.

Thanks for reading! Please comment if you want to know anything.

5b32e6231ec12_Thinningcrownbeforeanygraftshere.jpg.492f940fb78c858861016c6350112dc3.jpg

5b32e6232ce8a_Pre-opDr.Panine3200.JPG.1eb02e28e4e3a6445e5ba4dbdaacf52c.JPG

5b32e6233c5e1_PostopDr.Panine3200grafts.JPG.27edf7ca1b26e9875f4037f3141eeb4f.JPG

5b32e623c70a1_After3200graftsDr.Panine.jpg.798b0ea2b15972d69bd758406b477aae.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg.fbd0c1ce8fb7a6171ac9356a614cca09.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg.92ce4de74caae8e74caaf2fe4d5ec647.jpg

5b32e62400aeb_IMG_02512.jpg.3e48f2da5439a5f10a768af315dccecf.jpg

5b32e62412092_IMG_02612.jpg.46dbc41da2d4fd62eb22ba4fcbdb2190.jpg

5b32e62426d13_IMG_02642.jpg.7760bbe43662540d89727efacc1be169.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg.4263df86c5498bdfe7381dbb82d08036.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg.4480df2c645c92016e391b9b43587dc9.jpg

Edited by densedream
Added pictures to try to piece it together

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, surprised no one has comments. 8650 grafts is an enormous amount of grafts considering where I started... The picture where I had long hair and just a thinning crown... I have had 6000 or so grafts put there supposedly! The pictures with blue tile were taken today after a wash and blow dry. Nothing in my hair whatsoever.

Any comments from the veterans of this site. What do you think is in store for my future? What is the record number of grafts taken on this site? I can easily see myself having over 10,000, maybe 11,000 grafts. Had that been done before. How does my donor look in you opinion? Thanks for your opinion!

Hi densedream:

I want to preface this by saying I have never received any work in the crown area. However, reviewing other cases on this forum, 5200 grafts does seem like a lot for one area. Conversely, as you mentioned and others have stated in other threads, the crown does have that infamous moniker of the "black hole" so maybe other members have received the same number of grafts for the crown area and this truly is the average. It would be interesting to hear other members' experiences (sorry I couldn't be more help). For what it's worth, I think your current hair looks excellent. Best of luck with everything.

By the way, are you satisfied with your FUE into FUT scar results? I am possibly looking down this avenue...

I haven't cut it short to see how it looks with a short haircut, but when I lift my side hair I can no longer see it like I could before so easily. My scar was pretty wide on the sides and it's nearly invisible now. Well worth it in my opinion. I might test a shorter hair cut this summer, like a 3 or 4 on the sides. I'll keep you updated.

Edited by densedream

Yes I have been on Finasteride the whole time. I did not want to get that many procedures... My first procedure was great but then I started to lose hair in my crown rapidly after that procedure but I didn't lose much anywhere else. So I went to Dr. Panine and had 3200 grafts as he recommended. The surgery didn't give great results and my crown was still thin and see through.. So he offered to do a 2000 FUE. After that matured, I still wasn't satisfied with some area that were still see through.

Although my crown was better than before, it wasn't 5200 grafts better in my opinion but maybe it was and I don't fully understand how many grafts a crown can recieve. Next I had surgery with Dr. Bhatti to fill in those area and to add grafts behind the hairline that were thinning. That is where I'm at today. Dr. Bhatti's transplant did give me an improvement that can be seen in the new pictures. Trust me, this is not what I envisioned but I'm just detailing my story to show how things can turn out. I'm okay in the hair department as of now, but my future is bleak if I lose more hair because my donor has been used up a lot.

Edited by densedream

Hi Densedream,

Thank you for regularly sharing your HT updates.

From someone like yourself who had a total of 8600 grafts transplanted and went through 4 HT procedures.....your comment below means a lot to us at Darling Buds (Dr. Bhatti's Clinic). Highly appreciated.

If I could go back to day one before any surgery. I would have waited until 30 years old at least and went to see Dr. Bhatti straight away. No FUT scar and money saved. Nothing I can do now.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I really think you over transplanted the crown for the long run. You should hang on to everything you have left for your frontal third.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker - Well, I agree. I sort of went with Dr. Panine's professional and his respected HRN coalition opinion on the matter. I figured the first 3200 grafts would be the end of my worries in the crown and then I would have plenty of donor for the rest. After seeing other cases through the years from Dr. Lorenzo, Dr. Bhatti and some other doctors who use way fewer amount of grafts and achieve much greater coverage/density, I've come to the conclusion the 5200 grafts from Dr. Panine was not optimal for me. Albeit not a complete failure because some hair did grow, just not 5200 grafts worth. I'm not angry at their clinic because they tried their best and gave me a 2000 FUE to make things better. I was satisfied I guess I just though that the hair would be thicker, maybe my expectation of crown results was misguided.

Densedream,

I was surprised to read your post stating that were unhappy with your results. You had contacted me 8 months after your second procedure stating that you were satisfied with the results. In fact you even sent us some pictures of the progress at that point, which looked good. I have attached the pictures of your hair prior to your 2nd procedure, post op graft placement, and the pictures you sent me. I would have to say your pictures your results looked very satisfactory at the 8 month mark. Because of the unpredictable nature of MBP you could of lost more of your native hair. I would be interested to here other peoples comments after reviewing your results.

5b32e62b45237_Priorto2ndsession1.JPG.cf0d38cfc718210fdb4c37dcf1f94260.JPG

5b32e62b6363e_Priorto2ndsession2.JPG.e4f061800e3dc048505715a266cf8de5.JPG

5b32e62b70135_graftplacement.JPG.0d2ba226f8f4c129ae9a3cec066e0700.JPG

5b32e62b94e49_Pictureyousent8monthpostop1.JPG.97d6fa5965506f1910a39a41f9019d71.JPG

5b32e62ba4bad_Pictureyousent8monthspostop2.JPG.835ac55de2d8e4b89fb8f0c355a705f4.JPG

Dr. Panine thanks for those pictures. There is no doubt that some hair did grow and maybe my expectations were too high for 5200 grafts and the crown is the black hole that it has been described as. In addition, I could have very well lost all the native hair in the crown I had before my first surgery. I diligently take Propecia but I know that it's not a guarantee for anything. Prior to my surgery with Dr. Bhatti, I had a haircut and the hairdresser pointed out that I was really thin in my crown. I think that really sparked the question of the results since I figured that the two surgeries should have taken care of that. It could be that more hair was lost and that is what made it look so thin. I soon after contacted Dr. Bhatti and had another FUE procedure to address the crown further. I appreciate what your clinic did for me and you have posted many results that speak for themselves. Maybe I just didn't have full growth or maybe my crown continued to thin.

I think you've have further loss. Also 5200 grafts puts you at about 46 grafts per cm2 in an area the size of a cd. This is much lower than original density. You seem to wear your hair very short also. I think it's a combination of losing more and expecting more density that was acually implants ( less than half original density). Plus, the shock of finasteride not working well. All kind of a perfect storm.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Here are my pictures before my 4th surgery. This procedure was done by Dr. Bhatti. My crown had already been worked on twice(5200 grafts) by Dr. Panine and my temple areas by Dr. Pong(1800 grafts). The pictures with the long hair was before Dr. Bhatti shaved my head.

DSC_1569.jpg.5e2e9e088e7c611f87b7224782190fa0.jpg

DSC_1554.jpg.46361b4f58ca8c11b17046c3122d400a.jpg

DSC_1550.jpg.fa0b605aaf59a3f5cc16db287530b76b.jpg

DSC_1565.jpg.3e4e10b8b6047cc29a870364563983c6.jpg

Edited by densedream

I was hoping to get more feedback... especially from some of the more esteemed members that have read this. Over 700 views and 2 people gave me their opinion. I curious to know what you all think about my future in terms of donor hair and future balding. My donor scar looks better after Dr. Bhatti added beard grafts to the wide areas on the sides. I hope that if worse comes to worse and I continue to lose hair, that I'll be able to get away with a 3 or 4 blade shaved look..

I think your user name pretty much explains the problem in that I feel your expectations are far too high. The results you have had seem pretty decent to me and you would have been better served by not tinkering with it and chopping and changing between doctors.

Try to be happy with what you've got. It is still a lot of hair and thank your lucky stars you're not a NW6 or 7!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the reply Matt. I don't think my expectations are too high considering the amount for grafts and procedures I've been through. I had nearly double the amount of grafts as you and you were more bald to begin with... I guess it's easy to blame "my far too high expectations" on my screen name when you came away with awesome results. I only changed doctors due to my geographical location. In hindsight I should have flown to see Dr. Pong again. I am trying to be happy with what I have now but I still have to worry about my lucky stars exploding because I'm only 32 years old and could regress to NW 6-7.

Here is shot of my crown before 4500 grafts and after fully matured. You had less than that on your whole head and have thicker results.

5b32e64ab5321_Pre-opDr.Panine3200.JPG.e5f312bccf7ea56f0798217cde0d655f.JPG

DSC_1550.jpg.9e4ae8bed6dd0487f5c1e6ed679dd4cf.jpg

My crown is about the same as your preop photo but I style my hair in a way to make it barely noticeable.

Unfortunately for pretty much everyone there just isn't enough donor hair to cover every area really densely. A lot of docs really try to avoid grafting the crown on anyone under 40.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Well what ever your style is, it's working. I got nowhere near the growth you got from your 4300 grafts with Dr. Konoir. My photos clearly shows that. It is what it is now, and I am happy where I am now after the long road I travelled. I just hope finasteride holds up and that I use the rest of my donor, if necessary, as carefully as possible. Cheers for your amazing results nonetheless. Dr. Konoir is a magician.

WOW..8,600 grafts damn, surprised you have donor hair left!!

Not surprised you had really good results with Dr Bhatti, you should have went to him for your third transplant. Doesn't matter you live and learn and its good your providing feedback to other members who may be in the same boat as you, comtemplating their 2nd/3rd/4th transplant.

When you say you were "on Fin the whole time" does that mean you started Fin at your first transplant, or were you on Fin for a while before the first HT? The reason I ask is that I understand it can take 12-18 months before the impacts of Fin are seen, and they have the best impacts on the crown area. I had 4000 grafts done and just a "sprinkle" of grafts went to the upper crown. I started Fin 7 months ago with my first HT. My crown is much better (though not dense), and my scalp is nearly covered at the crown. It is enough to satisfy me - not sure if it is more the grafts or the Fin, but I am happy with it. Maybe your crown just needs more time with the Fin?

I was on FInasteride 14 months before my first procedure. Almost 6 years total up to now. My crown did get bette initially. After my first surgery with Dr. Pong in the temples I had a major shed in the crown that never fully recovered. The crown wasn't even touched by Dr. Pong but for some reason it shed like crazy until it got to the point that I saw Dr. Panine for a crown procedure and you can see my crown in the pictures. It was kind of bizarre how it happened.

Edited by densedream

Thank you for your story.

This should be a good post to the young guys out there, I mean the guys who are in the 20s 30s

I agrea with spanker you should hold onto what donor you have left for zone 2/3 & stick with you Fin.

I wish you luck buddy.

I will definitely hold onto everything possible including beard and chest grafts, that if I need I will go back to Dr. Bhatti. I most likely will because I can tell areas of my mid scalp are thinning. My journey is probably far from over. Who knows I might break the graft record at this point. Finasteride is not holding onto what I had as well as I hoped. I'm 32 but my hair does look better than I was 27 so at least I have something to show for all this money and stress of hair surgeries. I pray it stays that way for awhile. Thanks for the good luck wish!