Dr Feriduni 9 month update 2200 FUE

ezel

I'm a big believer in the possibilities of FUE but I am going to be controversial and pose this approach:

Could a strip procedure target the thin area in the donor and oppose the higher density areas above and below this area as a solution?

Just a thought.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Receding tide-not sure but in the end I won't go forward with strip. My sides legit can't hide that scar and honestly after 1 poor result I don't have the desire to do another procedure that may turn out poor as well and leave a scar. In my email to the doc about my donor area his response was just illustrating what he does to minimize depleting an area. Would anyone be opposed to me just posting my emails with the doc? Not sure if that's a no no but you can better understand his responses. I'll let senior members weigh in on if that's a good idea or not.

It might be an option to bulk up the weak patch in the donor area with a 300-400 beard hairs. I certainly wouldn't look to transplant any scalp hairs into this area. There are definitely still options Ezel.

I am sure you are a healthy guy from everything I have read but consider getting a rheumatological antibody screen just to rule out things on your side as the reason for the yield. I am also pretty convinced that any history of dermatitis on or near the scalp is a risk factor too.

Stick and place with acell might be the way to go. The clinic sometimes use it for difficult cases.

I know you have no hard feelings against the clinic and they are known for being transparent and forthcoming but I think you can paraphrase things rather than post the whole email. If it was another clinic not offering to help you out as much I'd say go ahead and post it but it sounds like they are trying to work things out as cordially and fairly as they can so I don't see a need to put the full email out there.

I think the way you have conducted yourself so far is admirable and very professional. The clinic will always do their best to make things right, but I'm sure they will be pulling for you even more given your exemplary approach to what I am sure has been a disappointing experience thus far.

Stay positive and things will work out in the end. Good luck mate.

Ezel,

I also had close to no growth from my first 3000 graft hair transplant with a top coalition doctor recommended here. I've just done another HT and am waiting anxiously for the result, but am really scared my grafts might not take again for some odd reason. RecedingTide recommended some kind of antibody test. He also mentioned that having dermatitis is a risk factor. Does anyone else think these are relevant, especially the latter? I believe I suffer from (very mild) dermatitis on my scalp and forehead.

I had 3500 grafts procedure approx 4 months back.so far growth is quite disappointing ,I know people tell to wait for at least 6 months before evaluating ur result but I am not sure how 2 to 3 months more will make any diff? I was norwood 6 before transplant and I got this all 3500 grafts in frontal 40% scalp so I thought I would have good density however doesn't seem to be the case so far.whatever hairs have grown so far,they r growing without any proper direction and hence doesn't look very natural to me and yesterday I asked barber to cut down my hairs to the max he can do .now I have buzzed look on top of my head and that look far more reasonable to me rather than direction less growth.I hope after getting a hair cut I haven't ruined my chances of any future growth if at all that was going to happen??

Ezel,

I also had close to no growth from my first 3000 graft hair transplant with a top coalition doctor recommended here. I've just done another HT and am waiting anxiously for the result, but am really scared my grafts might not take again for some odd reason. RecedingTide recommended some kind of antibody test. He also mentioned that having dermatitis is a risk factor. Does anyone else think these are relevant, especially the latter? I believe I suffer from (very mild) dermatitis on my scalp and forehead.

If you have dermatitis you can see it's affects on the donor area under magnification. The same applies for the recipient area. The problem is you simply won't know what effect it has until after the fact. As for rheumatological antibodies, we still just don't know enough about all the factors at play from a physiological standpoint with hair loss and hair transplantation. There are a lot of cutaneous manifestations for many a rheumatological condition. Some people are completely asymtomatic and have no rheumatological condition per se but if you did an antibody screen there could be something there. The significance of which is often unclear. That being said if I had either and a less than stellar previous HT result, I'd proceed with caution.

If you have dermatitis you can see it's affects on the donor area under magnification. The same applies for the recipient area. The problem is you simply won't know what effect it has until after the fact. As for rheumatological antibodies, we still just don't know enough about all the factors at play from a physiological standpoint with hair loss and hair transplantation. There are a lot of cutaneous manifestations for many a rheumatological condition. Some people are completely asymtomatic and have no rheumatological condition per se but if you did an antibody screen there could be something there. The significance of which is often unclear. That being said if I had either and a less than stellar previous HT result, I'd proceed with caution.

Hey RecedingTide,

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I'll talk to my doctor about getting this test done. As regards dermatitis, is it seborrhaic dermatitis you are referring to? Also, what exactly do you mean by "you can see its effects [...] under magnification"? What signs should I look for? I have no dandruff type flaking whatsoever, just some small redish spots on the recipient area...

• Administrators

Looking at your donor area I don't see anything to be alarmed about, if you look at alot of people including women, you'll generally see that the sides are less dense than the back of the scalp, it definitely does not look depleted in anyway, if it really bothers you a lot though, you could do a BHT to the sides to add some density, you wouldn't need much either.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just updating the post as requested. Not a ton happening( to be expected). The doc has been away o holiday for the last 3 weeks or so and i believe gets back next week. Here is a recent pic after haircut. As for people talking about me having hairs transplanted into donor area....Im good on that one. My goal was to fix my thinning area so ill stick to that. But I do appreciate the advice!! My beard is pretty weak if you will thus I dont think its a great source of donor hairs. Anyway, thanks again for all the advice and support.

DSC01439.jpg.de7b1b42a8030f2bdd4b1f3b6229232b.jpg

Hey RecedingTide,

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I'll talk to my doctor about getting this test done. As regards dermatitis, is it seborrhaic dermatitis you are referring to? Also, what exactly do you mean by "you can see its effects [...] under magnification"? What signs should I look for? I have no dandruff type flaking whatsoever, just some small redish spots on the recipient area...

Yes. Seborrheic dermatitis is a big one. Androgen mediated so sometimes teens with bad acne go on to develop it even later in life. In theory fin should help but in reality to what degree I have no idea. Under magnification you can see peri follicular erythema and definitive loss of hair calibre when compared to non affected areas. It can be quite shocking to see as you often won't notice with the naked eye.

What calibre/shaft diameter are your hairs? Ensure you have acell if you are going for a second pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Ezel,

I read though this thread quickly but did't see any reference to you switching to an FUT which is almost a lock for successful growth from what I can see based on your photos.

There is no mystery what happened to you. Your grafts were most likely damaged during the FUE extraction process. So DON"T do it again. Instead, go with an FUT which is far more delicate on the grafts. I think you will find a world of difference in growth.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it is more common than is presented on these chat forums.

Switch to strip, enjoy your results, and get on with your life.

Best,

Dr. Feller

Thanks Dr.Feller. Dr.Feriduni hasn't mentioned that. He has been away on holiday for the last few weeks fo I haven't heard much from him. As my previous posts have expressed I do have some reservations with moving forward with another procedure. I wish I could go more in depth with my thoughts but I'm mainly just worried about another poor results. I was surprised with how easy the recovery period was with the procedure thus that's not what concerns me. It's the watching,waiting and wondering if things are going to work out. At the six month mark it was CLEARLY obvious my results were subpar. But at that point the doc said things were progressing fine and that maybe I was a late grower. Then 8 months pass and still next to zero results. 12 months later and I'm pretty much where I was before. Maybe a little better. The doc believes 60 percent of my grafts took but I can't see it. Its a tough mental process to go through and I'm not sure I'm entirely up to it again. I'm still waiting to hear back from Dr Feriduni so I guess I'll go from there.

Dr feller-one last question. If you did every aspect of the procedure on a large fue case do you feel there would be a much more minimized risk in regards to graft damage. I've said prior that I'm in the medical profession(I'm a dentist) thus I understand the concept of the body responding favorable or unfavorable to a procedure but also the truth that the operator him/herself plays a huge role in the outcome.

I didn't see how your procedure was performed, nor have I ever watched your doctor's technique. But let's say that your doctor used a delicate and paced technique, then NO I don't think an FUE by me would have minimized graft damage or made a difference in your result.

So what happened with you? Well, it was one of two things most likely. Either your grafts were extensively damaged during the FUE process despite careful and excellent FUE technique; OR, your physiology prevents you from growing well. The so-called X-factor.

If you do a strip procedure and it grows well, you will have your hair and your answer.

Dr. Feller,

I appreciate that your intentions may be to help this patient. However, Dr. Feriduni is a world-class Coalition member with a long history of producing outstanding results. Furthermore, your position on FUE versus FUT has been widely publicized on other relevant topics. Coming onto another physicians topic and giving advice to his patient without knowing the details of this procedure is inappropriate.

Once again, not everybody shares your point of view that FUE is inferior and to make an assumption that the grafts were damaged during the extraction process is strictly conjecture and thus inappropriate. I'm sure if the grafts appeared damaged during the procedure, Dr. Feriduni would not have transplanted them.

While your intentions might be good, I ask that you limit your posts to general topics or topics that discuss you and or your patients. There are plenty of FUT patients who also received less than optimal growth and/or scar stretching (some of which are your patients since no physician has a perfect track record no matter how good they are) and one could pop on those topics of yours and suggests that your patients wouldn't have had these problems if they went the FUE route.

Again, conjecture will not help this patient and this topic is not an appropriate place to continue the FUE versus FUT debate.

Thus, I politely ask that you do not post on this or other types of topics like this again as it is unfair to Dr. Feriduni and his patient.

Thank you for understanding,

Bill

Dr. Bhatti,

I've already addressed Dr. Feller so responding to him in this fashion is just going to create an argument. I don't want to hand to lock this patients topic not do I want to ha e to remove all irrelevant replies from it. This, now that I've addressed Dr. Feller, let's keep this topic about the patient's result and how Dr. Feridui is working to resolve his concerns.

Best,

Bill

Ezel asked a question about extraction and placement. Am I right to think that technicians extract grafts for Dr Feriduni?

In general, this is one of my bugbears - asking physicians how much of the procedure they do themselves. Often I've got a fairly vague answer. And it's lovely if they 'sometimes' do all or a 'majority' of the extractions and placement themselves. But every patient wants to know what the doctor will be doing in THEIR procedure.

Ezel asked a question about extraction and placement. Am I right to think that technicians extract grafts for Dr Feriduni?

In general, this is one of my bugbears - asking physicians how much of the procedure they do themselves. Often I've got a fairly vague answer. And it's lovely if they 'sometimes' do all or a 'majority' of the extractions and placement themselves. But every patient wants to know what the doctor will be doing in THEIR procedure.

The doc draws hairline and administers injections, techs do extractions, the doc does incisions, the techs do the implanting, all of this overseen by the doc who will check in on regular periods. That is what they do and it has obviously been quite successful for them given the mostly excellent results (no clinic bats 100%) and the fact he prob has the longest waiting list in the business.

Fue2014 is correct. I'd say if you look at the procedure as a whole the tecs do the majority. Probably 70 percent of the day I was with them. The doc that day had two surgeries going on as I do remember seeing another guy in the same fashionable surgical outfits that we wear. In regards to Dr.Fellers response. I welcome his response. Way back when o started looking into getting a HT I was considering going with dr feller or dr Lindsay. I actually lost my deposit with dr Lindsay as I cancelled my appointment as I was interviewing for a post doctoral program and didn't want to show up to the interview during the recovery period. I also wasn't sold on the possibility of a scar. As long as the response is helpful to me I welcome all responses.

Thanks FUE2014. You're right, no clinic bats 100%. And Dr Feriduni appears to be one of the best FUE practitioners. But the thing is, none of us know what each clinic bats. We see, at best usually, a small proportion of results through internet pictures.

Thanks Ezel. I think Dr Feller is pretty unusual in going further than most doctors go about publicly discussing other surgeon's techniques and their marketing techniques. I rather admire him for it.

And indeed, Darlinglocks. But vagueness rules the day in a lot of these discussions.

Newbie33

Very true in regards to the comment about what each clinic bats. We legit have zero clue. I'm surprised more cases (good/bad/average) aren't posted as the doc is so booked out it would mean he is doing at least 1 case a day and from my experience most likely 2. The number of available cases for us to see on this site is rather limited and the cases on his website don't change often. I myself am a dentist and do cosmetic cases a fair amount. I take before and after pics and update my gallery at work all the time. I realize it's different but the idea is the same.

When results seem subpar most here usually just tell us to wait longer, get smp, or get another procedure. While those are all valid responses I feel there should be a higher level of accountability. I do believe if we were able to see more average or even poor results we as a consumer would be better prepared for a possible sub par outcome. Again I'm not mad at my result at all and understand it's not an exact science and it was an elective procedure. Im just responding the where the conversation was going and peoples thoughts and concerns.