Need suggestions from experienced guys!

Black_Hole

Hi, guys,

I am seriously considering of HT. I have a clean head with very good quality and quantity in donar hair. I consulted Dr.Wong, Dr.Shapiro and Dr.Wolf recently. However, they gave me very different esitmation.

Dr.Wong: 4000 grafts so 14,000 USD

Dr.Shapiro: 2500 grafts so ~12,500 USD

Dr.Wolf: 2000 grafts so 8,500 USD

I wonder why their estimation is so different. Since money is a big issue for me too, I have no idea who shall I choose? Any suggestions are welcomed, but no commercial intensions please. Thanks in advance!

Black_Hole

Hi, guys,

I am seriously considering of HT. I have a clean head with very good quality and quantity in donar hair. I consulted Dr.Wong, Dr.Shapiro and Dr.Wolf recently. However, they gave me very different esitmation.

Dr.Wong: 4000 grafts so 14,000 USD

Dr.Shapiro: 2500 grafts so ~12,500 USD

Dr.Wolf: 2000 grafts so 8,500 USD

I wonder why their estimation is so different. Since money is a big issue for me too, I have no idea who shall I choose? Any suggestions are welcomed, but no commercial intensions please. Thanks in advance!

Black_Hole

impossible to say without seeing your pics. I can say this though - all 3 doctors are well-respected. My personal advice is to go for the largest session you can safely get in one pass (assuming the need is there and the the funds are available). otherwise you'll be left wanting more and having to go thru the whole procedure again.

I had 2460 FUs for 6041 hairs on 12/15/03 with Dr Shapiro, and it really made a big difference for me, I was moving towards a Norwood VI. I will be heading back for another session on 12/08/04, for about the same size session. This should more than do it for me. I am very well pleased with my result and felt comfortable during the whole session. All the docs you mentioned are top notch and would do a great job.

Hi Black_Hole,

It is difficult to give you much feedback without having pics or more details about your case. What Norwood Class are you? What are your hair characteristics and just as important, what are your goals?

The surface area you want restored needs to be measured once your new hairline placement is established. You mentioned having a "clean" head so I am assuming you meant no existing hair left on top of your scalp. How much of that area are you seeking to restore?

There are many, many single hair grafts utilized in starting a new hairline with the larger grafts placed behind them so if you are in an advanced Norwood Class, count on several sessions providing you are looking for some good coverage.

Have you started a medicinal regimen like finasteride to slow down future loss? If you do have some natural hair left in the vertex and crown areas, you may want to consider it otherwise you will undoubtedly need more work as you lose more natural hair in the future.

All three doctors you mentioned do very good work so I am sure they would "fine tune" your graft count on the day of your procedure. They would more than likely refund you for any overage of grafts you enrolled for in case the count was too high. Obviously you have been doing your research based on your selection of HT surgeons which I commend you for!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi, guys,

Thank you guys all so much for giving me so many good suggestions in terms of technical points and cost!

Basically, I calcuated the price based on the information them gave me or on their webpage. For instance, Shapiro group said 4~5$/graft based on who will be the doctor. So I think if I ask Dr.Shapiro to do the procedure, it wil be 12,500$.

Sorry I don't post my pic here right now since I sent the same pics to doctors. But I will post all the pics once I get surgery so let all people see how well it goes.

Thanks again to all you warm hearted guys!

Truly, Black_Hole

BTW, my email address is Steven_chang_66@yahoo.com

If willing, could you guys who got transplanted some me some before and after pics to me? I promise I will just keep them as my own references.

Best regards!

Your correct with Dr. Shapiro his prices are slightly higher than Rose and Charles-- even Keene I believe because of his expertise and owner of the clinic. But it isnt that much higher. My HT with Shapiro was around $4.50 up to 2000 then the average drops to around $4 total I believe overall-- But I didnt get to the 2,000 mark-- was shooting for 1800 but due to scar revisions it limited our goal--but he refunded the difference.

Also, I believe if you go to around 3K mega session the cost gets into the $3 range?

It's getting very compeitive and I think you will see even these top doctors lower there prices per FU by .50cents or so and give bigger discounts with larger sessions in the future.

Bottom line, yes cost is a consideration, but should not be a major issue when your looking into HT, plastic, or cosmetic surgery--- you want the best period!!! Just do your research and educate yourself then talk one on one with the doctor about cost!